What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Consuming News: How Much? What Sources? (1 Viewer)

Sources:
NPR, Charleston Post and Courier, USA Today, New York Times, and a few other sites I'll visit if I'm truly intrigued by a story.

Time spent:
I suppose I average 45-60 minutes a day, but some of that is also spent commuting to and from work (podcasts).

I am not familiar with what happened in the Israel thread, but I do think that this is an interesting topic. I was actually speaking to one of my customers about this the other day. Our discussion was basically about how we like to feel informed and knowledgable about current events and news—but that often times the way that the mainstream media packages it is often biased—and is often overly negative. I personally find myself mainly watching 30 minutes of local news a day, and then couple that with doing my own research on larger news events on the internet (YouTube..etc). I generally will try to watch or read up on an event through a few sources —and will go out of my way to read opinions on both sides before formulating my own (if I care to have a particular opinion on an event).

Just a quick 6 second video that makes me laugh about “sources”. It does contain a swear word.

Majority of my news consumption is focused on local. I subscribe to my local paper online and get the Sunday paper delivered. I’ll check the local subreddits 2-3x per week. Apple News subscription gives me access to the KC paper and between that and the Kansas Reflector I try to keep up on state legislation.

For National/International I would start with CNBC as I pay more attention to business news and markets than any type of cultural news concerns. The business aspects will pick up the major stories (wars, speaker) but leave out prison breaks or celebrity gossip type stories.

Majority of my news consumption is focused on local. I subscribe to my local paper online and get the Sunday paper delivered. I’ll check the local subreddits 2-3x per week. Apple News subscription gives me access to the KC paper and between that and the Kansas Reflector I try to keep up on state legislation.

For National/International I would start with CNBC as I pay more attention to business news and markets than any type of cultural news concerns. The business aspects will pick up the major stories (wars, speaker) but leave out prison breaks or celebrity gossip type stories.

I've done this over the last year, and feel it's excellent . I have no interest in partisan "gotchas", and there's none of that there. If I need to go deeper, I'll read Rueters, NYT, and WSJ - that's enough.

Sometimes I consume way too much honestly. When something big is going on I'll end up spending hours going over it. When the Hamas attack happened my wife made me turn off the TV at one point because in her words "I was overloading on it. Do something else."

Usually at work I will pull up a browser and go to Google News to scan the headlines. I understand each outlet has their bias, so if a topic is big enough that I want to really feel knowledgeable, I'll dig in to multiple outlets. Fox, CNN, Reuters, BBC, etc.

This forum has been fantastic over the years to help me become informed on various things. The Israel War thread was fantastic for that. Really helped me understand the complexity of the situation. Unfortunate that it got locked. Maybe Joe will let it continue when people have time to calm down a bit. It's tough. When there are people you relate to that are being hurt or dying it gets emotional FAST. The Covid thread was a great source for info in real time. The Ukraine thread has been my #1 source for news in that conflict.

https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news is an interesting site that tries to show you different views as well. From the right, center, and left perspective.

Our local metro area news is on in the morning when I'm getting ready for work.

For news in the local community, nothing beats the Facebook Community groups. :lol: The only reason I still go on facebook is to go to those groups and check out who is pissed off at who for their dogs running loose and what ridiculous thing the mayor didl last week.

1. How much news do you feel it's best to consume and why....

I will give a professional media optics perspective on this.....If I had to train someone from pure scratch, with limited to no pathway towards current events, nor politics and was still likely very young, what I'd suggest is to

1) Expose yourself to everything in terms of information. This is valuable for immersion, and for later, pattern recognition.

2) Set aside X number of minutes a night, whatever is practical and available, and set a schedule to cover a different topic each night. Maybe Monday nights are where you cover all topics related to abortion, reproduction, and health care. Tuesdays is for gun rights, gun laws and gun control. Wednesdays is for free speech. Etc, etc. Maybe it's just 10 minutes a night. Or whatever makes sense. Over the course of a month, a year, a few years, that adds up. Visit different sources and assess hard facts.

3) Focus on self development, understanding healthy emotional boundaries, behavioral psychology and communication dynamics. OUTSIDE of things like the news, MSM etc, etc.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Asking someone to search for the ideal news source is like asking someone where to find the easiest trees to cut down. You are better served "sharpening the ax", so to speak, so you can better negotiate any source or format you encounter.

Worth reading to start (again, this is a starting point) -

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Boundaries by Henry Cloud
The Six Pillars Of Self Esteem by Nathanial Braden
What Every Body Is Saying by Joe Navarro

4) If you want to know the tactics of effective writing to you, then you have to do more writing. If you want to know effective tactics in terms of video to you, then be in a position to make video. A good example is Sigmund Bloom and his podcast. He's gotten better. ( He also has some long term glitches that have never been corrected, but maybe the resource base isn't there to help him in that regard) I still listen to it on occasion. It takes time but you learn how to give a better interview, how to get a guest to talk about things that they might not be happy to talk about to start, how to escape when a situation arises where the conversation veers into a subject that's bad for the brand/business/etc. You get better at something by doing more of it. With structure.

When the PSF existed, I did high level consistent extensive coverage of breaking down what the media was saying, but the context of why they were saying it. It's because it's very likely I've written more professional level media copy than anyone here on this site. Ever. My thread topics shifted more towards exposing more high information pathways, thus many felt they were quasi blogs instead of typical forum discussion. No one sourced and attributed more than I did and I never stayed in one source location for very long. A lot of people attacked my thread topics, including even a Staff member, but they were actually instructive if people kept up and paid attention. Some will inevitably disagree, and I'm OK with that. As I've said before - The kind of world I want to live in includes people who can and do disagree with me. But you'll find some here don't align to that principle.

What I mean by "pattern recognition" is I can look at different news sites and publications and instantly break down what reactions they are trying to elicit from the readers or viewers. Not what they are saying on the surface, but the pure motive and who benefits the most if they achieve that end. Over time, with enough exposure, you see the patterns of baseline manipulation. How to shape how you feel about a certain subject based on how the information is curated.

Closing thoughts - This thread topic, why it was created, likely stems from what happened in the since locked thread that was political in nature. (I'm not getting into that topic) In effect, at least as it pertains to FBG, the blanket questioning of sources or dogmatic defense of some sourcing is a proxy attack. It's a way to, in many cases, I wouldn't say all, to circumvent being banned here while digging at someone who has an ideological disagreement. It's a way to call someone a liar without creating enough cause to hit the Report Button. There are people here who are intentionally obtuse on purpose. It's not really that much different than the problem with the "laughing emoji", some people, not all, will abuse what they can and as much as they can. One of your long time Staff members started a topic about what is a "good source" and what is a "bad source" and made a list. It was essentially codifying the ability to openly call people liars, without context, while the PSF existed. Why he did that or chose to do that is completely inexplicable. It's like giving a room full of arsonists a bunch of thermite grenades.

If you want to cease future arguments about "sources", the the simple path is to limit it to facts. I.E. no one can talk about intent. (For example, "The New York Times is a legacy publication and no one does it better so all your points are wrong and basically I'm calling you a liar while avoiding getting banned for it") Only point out facts ( i.e. "This source used photos that did not align to the actual incident with the time and place of said tragedy and here are the links to the articles/videos that discuss it") and allow people to decide for themselves. I recognize you don't want to micromanage that, but that you probably will have to in the future is based on all the reasons the PSF was shut down in the first place. But it was one of your guys, on your payroll, that codified the pathway to do it, so people have kept doing it. Maybe it's a good time to ask him what exactly he was thinking when he triggered that slippery slope in your house. But that's up to you.

Again, as I like to point out practical and logistical solutions - I'd suggest everyone who is starting to expose themselves to all kinds of sources and information. Set a schedule to tackle a subject a night , and when you see something interesting or something triggers interest, then TAKE NOTES. Write down your observations. Write down your questions.

Some will ask why even bother. Because it's a path not just for current events and politics, but for "soft skills" It makes you a better communicator and more effective in writing, negotiation, problem solving, diplomacy and resource management. Something I said in 2006 when I started on these forums is I don't want to provide better answers for people ( though sometimes, maybe often, I've done that) but I want to upscale people into the pathway to learn how to ask better questions.

In keeping with that, JJ Redick was a designated long range shooter in the NBA for a long time. He pointed out several times in interviews that he had to learn that sometimes it was selfish NOT to shoot the ball. To violate what he learned early on about keeping the ball moving. That there were times that he specifically was the high percentage shot and his teammates and coaches were working hard to generate that opportunity for him, and if he didn't shoot it, that he was hurting the team.

The "better question" for you is this - Everyone knows you want to see the best in other people. But does that individual pathway ever becomes selfish against the greater community good? Once you answer that question for yourself, I fully believe your enforcement style will align more to creating the vision of what you'd like this community to be in your most ideal sense.

I'm glad the PSF is gone. I've always said if people don't like what you are giving them, particularly for free, then give them nothing instead, see how they like that better. You gave everyone basically a "freebie" for what really was political discussion in a recent thread here for a couple of weeks, and some, not all, but some still couldn't keep it together and not turn it into a bullet festival. They begged for nothing, so I say give it to them.

Sharpen the axe in your hand first. Don't look for easier trees to cut down.

Joe, I will genuinely miss this place. Even when I finally run out of rope. For what it's worth.

1. How much news do you feel it's best to consume and why....

I will give a professional media optics perspective on this.....If I had to train someone from pure scratch, with limited to no pathway towards current events, nor politics and was still likely very young, what I'd suggest is to

1) Expose yourself to everything in terms of information. This is valuable for immersion, and for later, pattern recognition.

2) Set aside X number of minutes a night, whatever is practical and available, and set a schedule to cover a different topic each night. Maybe Monday nights are where you cover all topics related to abortion, reproduction, and health care. Tuesdays is for gun rights, gun laws and gun control. Wednesdays is for free speech. Etc, etc. Maybe it's just 10 minutes a night. Or whatever makes sense. Over the course of a month, a year, a few years, that adds up. Visit different sources and assess hard facts.

3) Focus on self development, understanding healthy emotional boundaries, behavioral psychology and communication dynamics. OUTSIDE of things like the news, MSM etc, etc.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Asking someone to search for the ideal news source is like asking someone where to find the easiest trees to cut down. You are better served "sharpening the ax", so to speak, so you can better negotiate any source or format you encounter.

Worth reading to start (again, this is a starting point) -

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Boundaries by Henry Cloud
The Six Pillars Of Self Esteem by Nathanial Braden
What Every Body Is Saying by Joe Navarro

4) If you want to know the tactics of effective writing to you, then you have to do more writing. If you want to know effective tactics in terms of video to you, then be in a position to make video. A good example is Sigmund Bloom and his podcast. He's gotten better. ( He also has some long term glitches that have never been corrected, but maybe the resource base isn't there to help him in that regard) I still listen to it on occasion. It takes time but you learn how to give a better interview, how to get a guest to talk about things that they might not be happy to talk about to start, how to escape when a situation arises where the conversation veers into a subject that's bad for the brand/business/etc. You get better at something by doing more of it. With structure.

When the PSF existed, I did high level consistent extensive coverage of breaking down what the media was saying, but the context of why they were saying it. It's because it's very likely I've written more professional level media copy than anyone here on this site. Ever. My thread topics shifted more towards exposing more high information pathways, thus many felt they were quasi blogs instead of typical forum discussion. No one sourced and attributed more than I did and I never stayed in one source location for very long. A lot of people attacked my thread topics, including even a Staff member, but they were actually instructive if people kept up and paid attention. Some will inevitably disagree, and I'm OK with that. As I've said before - The kind of world I want to live in includes people who can and do disagree with me. But you'll find some here don't align to that principle.

What I mean by "pattern recognition" is I can look at different news sites and publications and instantly break down what reactions they are trying to elicit from the readers or viewers. Not what they are saying on the surface, but the pure motive and who benefits the most if they achieve that end. Over time, with enough exposure, you see the patterns of baseline manipulation. How to shape how you feel about a certain subject based on how the information is curated.

Closing thoughts - This thread topic, why it was created, likely stems from what happened in the since locked thread that was political in nature. (I'm not getting into that topic) In effect, at least as it pertains to FBG, the blanket questioning of sources or dogmatic defense of some sourcing is a proxy attack. It's a way to, in many cases, I wouldn't say all, to circumvent being banned here while digging at someone who has an ideological disagreement. It's a way to call someone a liar without creating enough cause to hit the Report Button. There are people here who are intentionally obtuse on purpose. It's not really that much different than the problem with the "laughing emoji", some people, not all, will abuse what they can and as much as they can. One of your long time Staff members started a topic about what is a "good source" and what is a "bad source" and made a list. It was essentially codifying the ability to openly call people liars, without context, while the PSF existed. Why he did that or chose to do that is completely inexplicable. It's like giving a room full of arsonists a bunch of thermite grenades.

If you want to cease future arguments about "sources", the the simple path is to limit it to facts. I.E. no one can talk about intent. (For example, "The New York Times is a legacy publication and no one does it better so all your points are wrong and basically I'm calling you a liar while avoiding getting banned for it") Only point out facts ( i.e. "This source used photos that did not align to the actual incident with the time and place of said tragedy and here are the links to the articles/videos that discuss it") and allow people to decide for themselves. I recognize you don't want to micromanage that, but that you probably will have to in the future is based on all the reasons the PSF was shut down in the first place. But it was one of your guys, on your payroll, that codified the pathway to do it, so people have kept doing it. Maybe it's a good time to ask him what exactly he was thinking when he triggered that slippery slope in your house. But that's up to you.

Again, as I like to point out practical and logistical solutions - I'd suggest everyone who is starting to expose themselves to all kinds of sources and information. Set a schedule to tackle a subject a night , and when you see something interesting or something triggers interest, then TAKE NOTES. Write down your observations. Write down your questions.

Some will ask why even bother. Because it's a path not just for current events and politics, but for "soft skills" It makes you a better communicator and more effective in writing, negotiation, problem solving, diplomacy and resource management. Something I said in 2006 when I started on these forums is I don't want to provide better answers for people ( though sometimes, maybe often, I've done that) but I want to upscale people into the pathway to learn how to ask better questions.

In keeping with that, JJ Redick was a designated long range shooter in the NBA for a long time. He pointed out several times in interviews that he had to learn that sometimes it was selfish NOT to shoot the ball. To violate what he learned early on about keeping the ball moving. That there were times that he specifically was the high percentage shot and his teammates and coaches were working hard to generate that opportunity for him, and if he didn't shoot it, that he was hurting the team.

The "better question" for you is this - Everyone knows you want to see the best in other people. But does that individual pathway ever becomes selfish against the greater community good? Once you answer that question for yourself, I fully believe your enforcement style will align more to creating the vision of what you'd like this community to be in your most ideal sense.

I'm glad the PSF is gone. I've always said if people don't like what you are giving them, particularly for free, then give them nothing instead, see how they like that better. You gave everyone basically a "freebie" for what really was political discussion in a recent thread here for a couple of weeks, and some, not all, but some still couldn't keep it together and not turn it into a bullet festival. They begged for nothing, so I say give it to them.

Sharpen the axe in your hand first. Don't look for easier trees to cut down.

Joe, I will genuinely miss this place. Even when I finally run out of rope. For what it's worth.

How long did this take to write out? I mean there are jobs that pay you to produce copy.

For me... podcasts in the morning, NPR and NYT mostly. Some industry rags and the WSJ for economic updates (I'm in banking), then the occasional local evening news, primarily for weather. I also like to be knowledgeable about national politics, so I listen to the 538 podcast for key races and some for the stat nerd outtakes. I'll also peruse headlines on Twitter and Reddit daily, but rarely actually read the articles.

1. How much news do you feel it's best to consume and why. Tim Ferris recently had a guest on his super popular podcast that talked about being "News Sober" meaning he didn't consume news.

--- I feel that it is your duty to be "informed" - but you should only consume as much news as is healthy for you. I have kept the Israel/Hamas conflict at an arms length, simply because I don't feel like it is good for me to see the pictures and hear the stories that are coming out of the region. I "know" what is going on in general, and for me that is good enough. I know that I don't like seeing what is happening to children on either side of this, so I choose not to view that stuff if I can help it.

2. What sources you like best for consuming news. I'd be interested in what folks use now and sharing best practices for what you've found to work well.

--- If I am on the couch and am going to look at a truly "breaking" news story, my default channel would be CNN. For a nightly news broadcast, I'm usually an NBC or ABC guy, and I also think that PBS does a good job.

During the 2016 election cycle and previous presidential administration, I watched too much news and it really did effect how I felt about politics and the country in general. I have been more mindful of that in the past few years and have cut way back on how much stuff I pay attention to. So much of it is blown out of proportion, and I can't do anything about any of it anyway, so, I'll stay "informed" but not consumed by current events.

Last edited:
Here's a little exercise that, if not helpful, might at least prove cathartic.

If I could change one thing about the news ...

Anyone brought on to discuss the latest war/conflict would have the choice of either (1) being introduced with no "resume" provided (e.g., former Defense Secretary) or (2) full disclosure including, but not limited to, any financial ties to defense contractors. I think the cable news networks are the biggest offenders, but newspapers are also offenders (if only to a lesser degree).

What we get now is completely slanted. If someone wants to come on and advocate escalation, we should know that they financially benefit from, say, selling missiles to one of the combatants.

(And before anyone jumps in to say "freedom of the press", keep in mind we have truth in advertising and food labeling laws that require disclosure.)

Here's a little exercise that, if not helpful, might at least prove cathartic.

If I could change one thing about the news ...

Anyone brought on to discuss the latest war/conflict would have the choice of either (1) being introduced with no "resume" provided (e.g., former Defense Secretary) or (2) full disclosure including, but not limited to, any financial ties to defense contractors. I think the cable news networks are the biggest offenders, but newspapers are also offenders (if only to a lesser degree).

What we get now is completely slanted. If someone wants to come on and advocate escalation, we should know that they financially benefit from, say, selling missiles to one of the combatants.

(And before anyone jumps in to say "freedom of the press", keep in mind we have truth in advertising and food labeling laws that require disclosure.)
In written media, the terms "experts say" and "according to experts" should go away. Say who the experts are and why we should listen to them. Most of us learned in fifth grade to distrust appeals to authority, and we are backsliding badly in this area.

I see this as highly related to the point you are making about on-the-air guests.

1. How much news do you feel it's best to consume and why. Tim Ferris recently had a guest on his super popular podcast that talked about being "News Sober" meaning he didn't consume news.

--- I feel that it is your duty to be "informed" - but you should only consume as much news as is healthy for you.
Why is this a duty? I mean, there’s an unlimited amount of information to process, so why should I prioritize “news”?

It facilitates informed voting, sure. Or I can just cram immediately before elections. But day-to-day existence?

To be clear, I’m not advocating living in ignorance. I read journals related to my job, articles on my hobbies, and look up random topics all the time. I also read threads here, and talk to other people, most of whom consume the news.

I just don’t see much value in being immersed in the politics du jour, or inundating myself with the usual badness which makes headlines. All that stuff detracts from quality of life imo, and largely won’t be impacted by my involvement.

Other than feeling informed, what concrete benefits do you derive from being news-savvy?

Last edited:

--- I feel that it is your duty to be "informed" - but you should only consume as much news as is healthy for you.
Why is this a duty? I mean, there’s an unlimited amount of information to process, so why should I prioritize “news”?

It facilitates informed voting, sure. Or I can just cram immediately before elections. But day-to-day existence?

To be clear, I’m not advocating living in ignorance. I read journals related to my job, articles on my hobbies, and look up random topics all the time. I also read threads here, and talk to other people, most of whom consume the news.

I just don’t see much value in being involved with the politics du jour, or inundating myself with the usual badness which makes headlines. All that stuff detracts from quality of life imo, and largely won’t be impacted by my involvement.

Other than feeling informed, what concrete benefits do you derive from being news-savvy?

"Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights."
Thomas Jefferson to Richard Price, January 8, 1789

I just don’t see much value in being involved with the politics du jour, or inundating myself with the usual badness which makes headlines. All that stuff detracts from quality of life imo, and largely won’t be impacted by my involvement.

"Whenever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights."
You think Jefferson would approve of the mix of contemporary media from which most people are informed?

You think Jefferson would approve of the mix of contemporary media from which most people are informed?
I think most people realize they have to sort through the bs. I also think they had bad journalism in the 18th century too. Jefferson didn't tell people to bury their heads in the sand then and I don't think he's would day that now either.

I think most people realize they have to sort through the bs. I also think they had bad journalism in the 18th century too. Jefferson didn't tell people to bury their heads in the sand then and I don't think he's would day that now either.
Jefferson lived in an age where it took weeks for news to spread. Different era. People who follow politics today tend to get swept up in minutiae that varies from cycle to cycle.

I just don’t see much value in being immersed in the politics du jour, or inundating myself with the usual badness which makes headlines. All that stuff detracts from quality of life imo, and largely won’t be impacted by my involvement.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I was trying to articuate that people have a duty, to as you say, not be ignorant. I think a lot of people are just walking around completely unaware of what is going on in the world. "Oh, Russia and Ukraine are fighting?" Like in those "JayWalking" type of videos where they ask random people on the street really basic questions, like, "Name a country on this map" and they can't do it - I think it is our duty to be above that level of ignorance and lack of awareness.

Do I think people should be guzzling down news and commentary 24/7? Absolutely not.

Elon on Rogan discussing Twitter is an interesting listen.

I bet. I saw yesterday he was teasing it. I'll try to find time to listen. That's the trouble with Rogan for me is it takes so long.

Do you have a cliff notes summary for what he said?

I think where one fits on the spectrum of news consumption and how we think of it is super interesting.

In my opinion, on one end of the spectrum, there is willful ignorance washing hands of things we know are bad but don’t affect us (or maybe even benefit us). Then there is the “Not my monkeys / Not my circus” that can often be smug. Then maybe it gets more to blissful/benevolent ignorance. Then the more the honest “I've accepted I'm not the General Manager of the universe” and then it goes on to obsessing over news.

Where we are to fit and live and relate to others on that spectrum I think is really interesting. I think we all mostly agree the ends of the spectrum are not good. But where one falls in between is interesting.

I bet. I saw yesterday he was teasing it. I'll try to find time to listen. That's the trouble with Rogan for me is it takes so long.

Yea, start at 41:55. Elon's thought was that Twitter was a confluence of Far Left ideology having the mechanism to project to the world via Twitter, somewhat unintentionally. They just happened to be in the right area. Basically San Francisco/Berkley is about a 10 mile square area that is far left but had the ability to project that ideology to the world because Twitter was based there and so influenced what was being done there. I haven't listened to the whole podcast yet so he may elaborate further but the 10 minutes or so he discussed it were very interesting.

That's probably enough to get this thread locked up so I'll leave it there but it's an interesting take I haven't heard before.

I'm more of a political news guy. I watch barely any during the week beside my twitter feed and this board. I watch most of the Sunday morning news shows- fox, abc, meet the press. I like to see shows where there are people from both sides. I also will partake in a little Bill Maher on Fridays. I find him interesting because he's gone from a typical one-sided liberal to often brutally attacking some of the left's current world views.

Yea, start at 41:55. Elon's thought was that Twitter was a confluence of Far Left ideology having the mechanism to project to the world via Twitter, somewhat unintentionally. They just happened to be in the right area. Basically San Francisco/Berkley is about a 10 mile square area that is far left but had the ability to project that ideology to the world because Twitter was based there and so influenced what was being done there. I haven't listened to the whole podcast yet so he may elaborate further but the 10 minutes or so he discussed it were very interesting.

That's probably enough to get this thread locked up so I'll leave it there but it's an interesting take I haven't heard before.

Thanks. I'll try to listen soon. And thank you, let's please not take it into political area. Thanks.

Check the morning brew and 1440 newsletters.

Really good cross section of news--not politics.

News: not the same as politics
. I get why people think this. It does not have to be that way.

News: not the same as politics. I get why people think this. It does not have to be that way.
Might have been you but somebody this week recommended 1440 in a thread I was reading so I signed up. Like it, quick and concise :thumbup:

News: not the same as politics. I get why people think this. It does not have to be that way.
Might have been you but somebody this week recommended 1440 in a thread I was reading so I signed up. Like it, quick and concise :thumbup:
Definitely check out the Morning Brew one. It feels weird to recommend an email blast, but I much prefer skimming the emails to negotiating with the news sites we are most familiar with

I had been dipping my toe back into Twitter/X recently (mostly due to the NBA starting back up).

I then got sucked into some non-sports stuff and just deleted my account last night. The consistent "anyone can say anything as though it is an irrefutable fact" and it immediately gets supported by 100's of others gets a little old to deal with. There is also some algorithm stuff that really limits who can see your posts if you are a new account. My replies were getting little to no response or even views and then because I replied to certain types of posts (to try and refute them) my feed gets bombarded with similar takes and it quickly became overwhelming to read the same insane garbage over and over. Maybe if I had kept my old established account it would be better? But I deleted that account months ago as well because it was becoming unhealthy for me. I like the concept and was originally in favor of Musk's changes, but it has spiraled out of control, IMO.

Agreed. I've been a long time fan of Morning Brew. They're a monster in the Newsletter space and a leader newsletters like ours try to follow.

They're consistently good.

Definitely check out the Morning Brew one. It feels weird to recommend an email blast, but I much prefer skimming the emails to negotiating with the news sites we are most familiar with

And I wouldn't say it's weird to recommend an email newsletter.

By definition, the value they bring is "curation". You trust them to have a take on both what they choose to cover and HOW they cover it that fits with what you're looking for.

That's the real value of most any newsletter.

I'm more of a political news guy. I watch barely any during the week beside my twitter feed and this board. I watch most of the Sunday morning news shows- fox, abc, meet the press. I like to see shows where there are people from both sides. I also will partake in a little Bill Maher on Fridays. I find him interesting because he's gone from a typical one-sided liberal to often brutally attacking some of the left's current world views.
The Sunday shows are good for two things: what the political machines/government administrations want us to focus on (along with their opinions), and a heads up on the speaking points they are putting out there. Right or left, it's fascinating to me to see or hear trending stories from various sources and connect them to the obvious partisan talking points. It really is fascinating, and also is great in helping to discern bias in the media on both sides.

The stories I appreciate most across all spectrums are those told by a known partisan source that support the opposing viewpoint. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it tends to be pretty reliable. The exceptions were when Obama first took the White House and Trump. There were plenty of news organizations on either respective side that had traditionally toed the line on partisan reporting but broke away in those two cases (Obama for maybe 2 years, Trump for about 4).

I had been dipping my toe back into Twitter/X recently (mostly due to the NBA starting back up).

I then got sucked into some non-sports stuff and just deleted my account last night. The consistent "anyone can say anything as though it is an irrefutable fact" and it immediately gets supported by 100's of others gets a little old to deal with. There is also some algorithm stuff that really limits who can see your posts if you are a new account. My replies were getting little to no response or even views and then because I replied to certain types of posts (to try and refute them) my feed gets bombarded with similar takes and it quickly became overwhelming to read the same insane garbage over and over. Maybe if I had kept my old established account it would be better? But I deleted that account months ago as well because it was becoming unhealthy for me. I like the concept and was originally in favor of Musk's changes, but it has spiraled out of control, IMO.
What you may want to do is make or find a group on X that is just nba media/sportswriters. That will keep you from the other drivel. I do like X a lot for news, but they have to be trusted sources. It’s really easy to go down that rabbit hole on there.

Users who are viewing this thread