What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cosmetic procedures (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
I’ve recently learned several of my coworkers have been getting Botox. All are in their thirties; a couple are (Korean) guys.

Seems silly to me, but they argue it’s “preventative”.

Admittedly, I’m not into anything that hides your age, including stuff to prevent hair loss, coloring grey hair, etc. I don’t even like women who wear much make-up. Sunscreen is about my limit, and maybe exfoliating soap.

I don’t think it’s embarrassing to age, though a healthy lifestyle tends to help in looking young.

But times are clearly changing, and all sorts of cosmetic treatments/procedures have become mainstream. Look no further than @offdee’s personal care thread.

What have you had done, and what do you consider “normal”?

Had nothing done and have no plans to. My wife talked at one time about having a mommy makeover type procedure but decided against it. My SIL does Botox and did a lip injection thing that made her look a little weird for about a month. In general, I’d say my stance is do whatever you want with the understanding that you may end up looking like an alien.

One time I used a micro-exfoliating wascloth my wife had in the bathroom to wash my face. That’s about the extent of it.

I hate the lip filler stuff. Always looks like somebody tried to eat some shellfish they knew would give them anaphalaxis. I have never seen a subtle lip-filler job. Always ends up making the person look like a Russian hooker.

Botox is usually subtle enough not to drastically change your appearance, but the risks of a botched injection or an infection seems to outweigh the perceived benefits.

I am vain about not having any sense of vanity.

Cosmetic procedures are very inexpensive and very popular in Asia.

Botox per area (not units) is around ¥30,000 for three areas (done every 4 months)

1 cc Juvéderm ultra plus is around ¥60,000. Used for smile lines and upper lip. (done once a year).

Thread lifts are ¥10,000 per thread. (Done once a year)

Eyebrow microblading. ¥20,000 (done once per year.)

Monthly to bi-monthly..

Eyelash extensions ¥5000

Hydra facial ¥7000

Cupping/ Massage ¥10,000

Facial laser ¥20,000

Hifu for collagen stimulation initial treatment is ¥30,000 and then ¥10,000 per month

I’ve recently learned several of my coworkers have been getting Botox. All are in their thirties; a couple are (Korean) guys.

Admittedly, I’m not into anything that hides your age, including stuff to prevent hair loss, coloring grey hair, etc. I don’t even like women who wear much make-up. Sunscreen is about my limit, and maybe exfoliating soap.

I don’t think it’s embarrassing to age, though a healthy lifestyle tends to help in looking young.

But times are clearly changing, and all sorts of cosmetic treatments/procedures have become mainstream. Look no further than @offdee’s personal care thread.

You and I disagree on some things, but we are 100% in agreement on this one. I think all of this stuff is ridiculous, especially among men.

Using scar gel to improve appearance of scar from knee replacement surgery in January. Did it on my other knee several years ago. Takes a while but results are great. That's all I got.

Concerning Botox, I have heard your face looks worse in later years than if you didn't have it done.

This is a super interesting topic.

I'm reading a book now from Chip Conley. Wisdom at Work.

He's an interesting guy and his big thing is older people have good wisdom to share.

The chapter today talks about how we seem to not mind at all, and maybe even prefer the worn in and patina effect on a leather bag or piece of furniture. We don't sweat the aging of a building or sculpture.

But we go wild in trying to hide signs of aging on our bodies.

At 60, I have plenty of gray mixed in. I can't say I haven't thought about doing something there but I never have. I take care of my skin with moisturizer and such but nothing crazy.

It just seems like something to accept or even embrace.

I will say, for women, society seems to make them play by a different set of rules and it's not fair.

Had some warts removed from my hands years ago. Also some sun spots on my upper cheeks. That's the extent for me.

Feel like trend is going in the wrong direction. People getting buccal? Fat reduction in their cheeks and butt lifts for their other cheeks. Serious stuff that has massive risks.

Seems more and more likely the princess has one of these that went bad. This stuff is not to be messed with.

I just had the lip augmentation and now I have those nice full duck lips. I kid, I kid. Anyone know why young women have this done? I have no idea.

My hair has been thinning for the better part of 20 years. To be honest if I could be 100% certain that a transplant would look great and unnoticeable I would get one. But the majority of them I see look terrible and unnatural. I was shaving it during the pandemic and I absolutely hated the way i looked. Every time I went out and saw people they had to talk about it. If I had Ben Affleck or Tom Brady money to get what they have I would probably just do it.

I just had the lip augmentation and now I have those nice full duck lips. I kid, I kid. Anyone know why young women have this done? I have no idea.

My hair has been thinning for the better part of 20 years. To be honest if I could be 100% certain that a transplant would look great and unnoticeable I would get one. But the majority of them I see look terrible and unnatural. I was shaving it during the pandemic and I absolutely hated the way i looked. Every time I went out and saw people they had to talk about it. If I had Ben Affleck or Tom Brady money to get what they have I would probably just do it.

You'll have to post pics GB. It seems like everytime I see a guy with thinning hair shave it all off, it looks great.

You'll have to post pics GB. It seems like everytime I see a guy with thinning hair shave it all off, it looks great.
I grew it back out. It doesn't look great either but I prefer it to bald. There's still some hair up top. I usually wear a cap if out and about.

I have done nothing. Obvi. 💪

But my Irish ginger skin has forced me to stay out of the sun all my life. So my skin looks pretty good. Hair was graying in my 30s. It’s mostly white now, but it’s been buzzed with a #1 clipper forever. If I shaved my beard and dyed my hair, I would look a lot younger. But I don’t care

It's interesting. I do care. But thus far, I've drawn the line at not doing anything unnatural like dyeing the gray hair or anything.

I'm historically impatient when it comes to haircuts, so I will typically check last-minute to see if there is a wait at Sport Clips and just roll in if I think I can get in and out. This has led to some embarrassingly bad cuts over the years, but I never really mind because it grows back quickly and who am I trying to impress?

My most recent cut was my worst experience yet however and has me questioning my methods. Once in the chair, the young lady informed me that she was 'really new' at this and that I was among her first clients. I assured her I'd be cool with whatever and that she could just take her time. 10 minutes later I had to interrupt her and basically ask what she thought she was doing to me as I watched her shave the side of my head ever shorter and higher toward the top of my skull. It's been about 3 weeks now and my wife is finally able to look at me without laughing.

The unexpected side-effect of this experience is that I now, for the first time, really feel like my hair is thinning and have decided to start taking Nutrafol, which is a 'hair growth nutraceutical'. $80 for a month's supply, supposed to see results in 3-6 months. My wife insists she has seen results in her own hair with this so I figured what the heck. You can never be too beautiful.

You and I disagree on some things, but we are 100% in agreement on this one. I think all of this stuff is ridiculous, especially among men.
When I voiced that stance in the office, it was poo-poo’ed, like most ramblings of grumpy old men.

It’s never good being publicly judgmental, of course, but the reaction made me pause.

I’ve accepted women chasing beauty and anti-aging products forever, largely out of ignorance, so really, what’s the big deal if guys do it too? And how different are minor cosmetic procedures from make-up/hair coloring/whatever else masks visible aging?

I'm historically impatient when it comes to haircuts, so I will typically check last-minute to see if there is a wait at Sport Clips and just roll in if I think I can get in and out. This has led to some embarrassingly bad cuts over the years, but I never really mind because it grows back quickly and who am I trying to impress?

My most recent cut was my worst experience yet however and has me questioning my methods. Once in the chair, the young lady informed me that she was 'really new' at this and that I was among her first clients. I assured her I'd be cool with whatever and that she could just take her time. 10 minutes later I had to interrupt her and basically ask what she thought she was doing to me as I watched her shave the side of my head ever shorter and higher toward the top of my skull. It's been about 3 weeks now and my wife is finally able to look at me without laughing.

The unexpected side-effect of this experience is that I now, for the first time, really feel like my hair is thinning and have decided to start taking Nutrafol, which is a 'hair growth nutraceutical'. $80 for a month's supply, supposed to see results in 3-6 months. My wife insists she has seen results in her own hair with this so I figured what the heck. You can never be too beautiful.

One more reason why this board is so great.

I'm going to guess the number of people of who spend $80 a month for hair restoration stuff AND get their hair cut at the cheapest place in town based on how fast they can get it in is not very large.

I’ve accepted women chasing beauty and anti-aging products forever, largely out of ignorance, so really, what’s the big deal if guys do it too? And how different are minor cosmetic procedures from make-up/hair coloring/whatever else masks visible aging?

Yes. The real difference, though, and the thing I think that drives much of this, is men don't seem to take near the "social or attractiveness hit" for aging that women do.

So it's natural that women fight it harder.

This is part of what I find disturbing. While I certainly can appreciate the beauty of youth, I don’t think we need to hide/be embarassed about signs of aging. Moreover, it’s troubling when people pursue cosmetic treatments, while ignoring diet, exercise, and bad habits which promote aging.

But it’s possibly to live a healthy lifestyle and delve into superficial beauty simultaneously. And I use whitening toothpaste, so who am I to judge?

This is part of what I find disturbing. While I certainly can appreciate the beauty of youth, I don’t think we need to hide/be embarassed about signs of aging. Moreover, it’s troubling when people pursue cosmetic treatments, while ignoring diet, exercise, and bad habits which promote aging.

But it’s possibly to live a healthy lifestyle and delve into superficial beauty simultaneously. And I use whitening toothpaste, so who am I to judge?

Yeah. It's "complicated". I have the same struggles.

You're the one who has to live with yourself, so do what makes you the happiest.
Absolutely, but does this stuff promote happiness?

South Korea is one of the cosmetic surgery capitals of the world. It’s also a place with high rates of suicide. Plenty of confounders, of course, but chasing eternal beauty/youth is bound to disappoint, eventually.

Yes. The real difference, though, and the thing I think that drives much of this, is men don't seem to take near the "social or attractiveness hit" for aging that women do.

So it's natural that women fight it harder.
Yep. One response from my coworkers: “but you’re a guy”

The thing is, I was mainly expressing surprise about unabashed Botox use in young, Korean men.

Also of note, one of the guys was just complaining he needed to wear a white coat, to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Curious why you think it is any less ridiculous for women?

Not necessarily cosmetic but TRT is the only thing I've considered. Probably starting that in a few years when I turn 50.

They face different social pressures than we do.

Not necessarily cosmetic but TRT is the only thing I've considered. Probably starting that in a few years when I turn 50.
Yeah, definitely appeals to the same clientele. Same with "longevity medicine" places.

While I intrinsically distrust most "men's health" clinics, I want to believe longevity practitioners aren't just preying on insecurity. But given the state of the science, they probably are.

Which is also ridiculous

My Father In Law has experienced a couple of instances of skin cancer so my wife was concerned about a patch of skin on my neck.
She encouraged me to ask my Doctor about it and he referred me to a dermatologist.
The dermatologist was based in a clinic that heavily promotes botox and other cosmetic skin treatments.
The dermatologist said it wasn't cancerous and suggested a treatment for it.
I received the treatment from a 20 something female assistant. While she was treating me she would comment multiple times "It's a shame about (fill in the bank) on your face (neck, forehead, neck, etc.) because you look much younger otherwise".
After the treatment I felt like the Elephant Man and wondered if I could buy a hood on Amazon to save people the pain of looking at me.
I got home, looked in the mirror and decided I'm happy the way I am.
I can sure see how these places get people hooked on plastic surgery, cosmetic procedures and treatments.

My Father In Law has experienced a couple of instances of skin cancer so my wife was concerned about a patch of skin on my neck.
She encouraged me to ask my Doctor about it and he referred me to a dermatologist.
The dermatologist was based in a clinic that heavily promotes botox and other cosmetic skin treatments.
The dermatologist said it wasn't cancerous and suggested a treatment for it.
I received the treatment from a 20 something female assistant. While she was treating me she would comment multiple times "It's a shame about (fill in the bank) on your face (neck, forehead, neck, etc.) because you look much younger otherwise".
After the treatment I felt like the Elephant Man and wondered if I could buy a hood on Amazon to save people the pain of looking at me.
I got home, looked in the mirror and decided I'm happy the way I am.
I can sure see how these places get people hooked on plastic surgery, cosmetic procedures and treatments.
Yikes. That sounds predatory.

Which is also ridiculous
I guess so, but those social pressures exist whether you and I approve of them or not. So maybe we should cut women a break.

Had some warts removed from my hands years ago. Also some sun spots on my upper cheeks. That's the extent for me.

I didn’t think about wart removal. I had that and had a lipoma on my back removed but it was a little uncomfortable. I’ve also had a spot removed on my forehead but the deemed it questionable so don’t count that.

Users who are viewing this thread