What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Couch=Pennington? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
In a recent thread I posted this from the Plain Dealer

The Texans will not pursue a contract with Tim Couch. The former Browns No. 1 draft pick worked out in Houston this week. We hear that either Couch's right arm needs more time to recover from shoulder surgery or his career could be over. Previous workouts with Cincinnati and Miami were equally unimpressive. Couch has not played since the 2003 season, was cut by Green Bay in the 2004 training camp and failed a subsequent workout in Chicago before having rotator cuff surgery.
Same type surgery done to Couch and Pennington right?Is this a good example why many wonder if Pennington will return? Another Q:Didn't Pennington already have rotator cuff surgery? Or was he out for something else last time?I'm wonderring if Pennington's career will quickly end with failed tryouts like Couch's seems to be

Last edited by a moderator:
Couch is one example. Griese and Hasselbeck are two other examples. Tim Rattay is yet another. Anytime a QB has an injury to his throwing shoulder, its a serious concern. I think I remember that in at least 3 of the 4 above examples, the injury reacurred or was setback. I'm not sure exactly how simuliar each injury is in relation to Pennington. There's a lot involved with our shoulders.

Pennington is one up on Brees though in that he can workout for teams in time to be signed right away.

About baseball pitchers, but a good article about a torn labrum.

Labrum tears also show up irregularly on the football field—the Raiders' Rich Gannon (throwing shoulder) and the Seahawks' Matt Hasselbeck (non-throwing shoulder) are part of the labrum brigade—usually when a quarterback's arm gets planted into the ground at an unnatural angle.
So far, the message from the nation's orthopedic surgeons is: We can't rebuild them. Dr. Anthony Tropiano, a top baseball arm doc, says the best available treatment option today is to do nothing. "We call it conservative treatment," he says, "but that's just a euphemism for a little rehab and a lot of prayer."

Last edited by a moderator:
Big diference between a torn labrum and a rotator cuff thats been torn twice (on a pea shooter arm). No QB has ever played with 2 cuff surgeries and just don't see an arm like Chad's holding up. I would give him props if he even plays in another game again. Odds are stacked that he could be productive in any way.

Big diference between a torn labrum and a rotator cuff thats been torn twice (on a pea shooter arm). No QB has ever played with 2 cuff surgeries and just don't see an arm like Chad's holding up. I would give him props if he even plays in another game again. Odds are stacked that he could be productive in any way.
This quote makes it seem like a torn labrum is much harder to come back from than a rotator cuff:
Unlike the rotator cuff, a series of four small muscles that holds the shoulder in place and decelerates the arm, the collagen-based labrum can't be strengthened.

Certainly isn't a good sign for Pennington. I think he's looking at very best at a career long backup QB. Hope he can get all he can out of the Jets financially.

Users who are viewing this thread