What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cowboy Carter by Beyonce (1 Viewer)

We’re doing new threads for every album we think is good now?

Only from Timmy so far.

Just a reminder folks, there is already a thread dedicated to 2024 new music releases. I have posted a couple of Beyonce tunes there, including Jolene, yesterday. 🤠

God people stop gatekeeping threads. Who cares.

I dunno...some folks prefer to see posts in a thread that is already dedicated to a subject matter...like...maybe a thread devoted to kickers in the Shark Pool. :-)
Dude. Go to a different thread if this isn’t to your liking.

That works for me. Music is the best, so we should be encouraging more music threads!

As for Beyonce, I am not that familiar with her music in general, as she works in a style that is not really in my wheelhouse, but I may give this a try.

Does she actually write any music?
I don't follow her enough to be able to answer that question, to be honest.

Nor do I, but I seem to recall a knock on her prior work having multiple producers, writers, etc. Like....when she lost out to Beck for Album of the Year, folks were outraged. But her album had over 20 producers and a ton of other credits. Beck's album was produced and written by......Beck. /end.

All that being said, this album is really enjoyable. Probably get 3 listens in today all told.

Only from Timmy so far.

Just a reminder folks, there is already a thread dedicated to 2024 new music releases. I have posted a couple of Beyonce tunes there, including Jolene, yesterday. 🤠

I dunno...some folks prefer to see posts in a thread that is already dedicated to a subject matter...like...maybe a thread devoted to kickers in the Shark Pool. :-)
I see that even though the PSF no longer exists, my fan club still does.:-)

Only from Timmy so far.

I see that even though the PSF no longer exists, my fan club still does.:-)
and you can still ruin threads outside of the PSF it appears

I posted about Cowboy Carter on its release date in there, and it got one like and zero replies. Another thread was definitely worth it to get some additional discussion going on it.

Not like people are instructed to keep all discussion about movies in the movie thread.

. And my wife and I listened to the Jolene cover yesterday and both hated it.
Interesting. I thought it was great. I loved the soft guitar (banjo?) and her vocals.

She also changed the lyrics, significantly. In the original Dolly pleads with Jolene not to take her man. Beyonce doesn’t plead- she warns Jolene that she (Beyonce) is a bad *** ***** and if Jolene messes with her she will pay. Dolly apparently loved the change.
Much, much, much better version.
Thanks for the link - I think Jack White and Beyoncé both did fantastic covers

I posted about Cowboy Carter on its release date in there, and it got one like and zero replies. Another thread was definitely worth it to get some additional discussion going on it.

Not like people are instructed to keep all discussion about movies in the movie thread.

No, but we don't see separate threads for every new movie that comes out that someone likes, either.

I feel like if I had the same team of people behind me that Beyonce does for this album, I could have a great album. Normally an artist or a band has some songs and they go into the studio with a producer who records them in a way he or she thinks sounds best. With Beyonce and an album like this, her people approach her with the idea of making a country album and an army of song writers, producers and whatever else guide it from start to finish. They slap her name on the finished product because it's her singing voice but really, how much of the album is she responsible for? There are thousands of unknown musicians who solo write and record their music on their own dime that nobody will even listen to but they keep at it because they're artists and it's a labor of love. At one point Beyonce may have been one of those people but this album is not art. It's a money-grab, Franken-album born out of the minds of business people to capitalize off the popularity of a famous singer and I, for one, will not listen. Today, I will be listening to Craig Carothers instead.

No, but we don't see separate threads for every new movie that comes out that someone likes, either.

But we do when a major blockbuster comes along - See Openheimer or the latest Scorsese.

This isn't just another album, but something tells me you realize that and are just whining to whine.

I feel like if I had the same team of people behind me that Beyonce does for this album, I could have a great album. Normally an artist or a band has some songs and they go into the studio with a producer who records them in a way he or she thinks sounds best. With Beyonce and an album like this, her people approach her with the idea of making a country album and an army of song writers, producers and whatever else guide it from start to finish. They slap her name on the finished product because it's her singing voice but really, how much of the album is she responsible for? There are thousands of unknown musicians who solo write and record their music on their own dime that nobody will even listen to but they keep at it because they're artists and it's a labor of love. At one point Beyonce may have been one of those people but this album is not art. It's a money-grab, Franken-album born out of the minds of business people to capitalize off the popularity of a famous singer and I, for one, will not listen. Today, I will be listening to Craig Carothers instead.

Your contributions to her album were a highlight for me, Willie.

But we do when a major blockbuster comes along - See Openheimer or the latest Scorsese.

This isn't just another album, but something tells me you realize that and are just whining to whine.

I have posted two songs off the LP in the 2024 New Music Thread, and said good things about those tunes, so obviously I am impressed with her new release.

That said, speaking just for myself, I don't think I would like to see a thread created for every new album that is released that someone likes (and it could well get to that).

The new music thread is only three pages for the whole year and about two pages of those are squistion posting random songs he likes. Certainly nobody should hesitate starting their own thread about new music based on its existence. If a new thread is started that falls flat, so what?

I have posted two songs off the LP in the 2024 New Music Thread, and said good things about those tunes, so obviously I am impressed with her new release.

That said, speaking just for myself, I don't think I would like to see a thread created for every new album that is released that someone likes (and it could well get to that).

Is that your concern? That we are going to see a separate thread for every new album or movie that gets released? That after 25 years as a message board, this is the direction we are headed because Tim created a thread about Cowboy Carter?

The new music thread is only three pages for the whole year and about two pages of those are squistion posting random songs he likes. Certainly nobody should hesitate starting their own thread about new music based on its existence. If a new thread is started that falls flat, so what?

So, you would prefer that I start a separate thread for every "random song" I like, rather than post them in a designated 2024 New Music Thread?

I can do that. :-)

That is absolutely not at all how this album was made. Unless you have some inside info that nobody else is privy to?

Last edited:

Only from Timmy so far.

I dunno...some folks prefer to see posts in a thread that is already dedicated to a subject matter...like...maybe a thread devoted to kickers in the Shark Pool.
And some people, like the person who created this thread, wanted to talk about it as a standalone knowing it would draw more traffic than the longstanding thread devoted to albums that many people don’t frequent.

If you don’t visit one of those large threads often you likely won’t want to drop in with your take on beyonce out of the blue.

Halfway through, it's definitely thread worthy.

And agree completely on the large threads....if I haven't been active from the start, chances are slim I won't bother with it as I'm too lazy to "catch up". :bag:

But this has album of the year potential.
Do you think it’s a country album?

Only from Timmy so far.

I dunno...some folks prefer to see posts in a thread that is already dedicated to a subject matter...like...maybe a thread devoted to kickers in the Shark Pool.
And some people, like the person who created this thread, wanted to talk about it as a standalone knowing it would draw more traffic than the longstanding thread devoted to albums that many people don’t frequent.

If you don’t visit one of those large threads often you likely won’t want to drop in with your take on beyonce out of the blue.

And agree completely on the large threads....if I haven't been active from the start, chances are slim I won't bother with it as I'm too lazy to "catch up". :bag:

Not at all. I mean, other than featuring some country legends, a cover of Jolene and perhaps some C&W twang on some songs, I wouldn't consider this "country" in the way I interpret it to mean. This isn't Reba MacIntyre (sp?).

Put on the song "Bodyguard" and tell me your thoughts. That's my early favorite off the album, though I added 5 to my "favorites" Playlist on Spotify already after just one spin.

So, you would prefer that I start a separate thread for every "random song" I like, rather than post them in a designated 2024 New Music Thread?

No, we would prefer you just post about the topic in the thread or not post at all. It's not complicated

I guess the FAQ's should be updated to include: PM Squistion for thread creation approval :rolleyes:

It's wild how the OG posters get no respect, Rodney was right....

No, we would prefer you just post about the topic in the thread or not post at all. It's not complicated

Just pointing out that there is already a preexisting thread for 2024 Music is related to the topic, particularly after two songs from that album have already been posted there (one yesterday).

And that thread is not restricted to single releases, as people have posted and discussed albums in the yearly new music threads for as long as I can remember.

Just pointing out that there is already a preexisting thread for 2024 Music is related to the topic, particularly after two songs from that album have already been posted there (one yesterday).

And that thread is not restricted to single releases, as people have posted and discussed albums in the yearly new music threads for as long as I can remember.

Many people have you on ignore.

Report that.

Report that.

You bragged for years how you had me on ignore, but I guess that is no longer true. 😥

Report that.

You bragged for years how you had me on ignore, but I guess that is no longer true. 😥

Link?

Report that.

Link?

Ask and you shall receive. :biggrin:

From the David Hogg thread, your quote on Page 29:

I have Squistion on ignore. He shares the honors with GG. I'm not reading their posts so if you need me to read Squis to understand you, well.....that's just not going to happen.

Report that.

Link?

Ask and you shall receive. :biggrin:

From the David Hogg thread, your quote on Page 29:

I have Squistion on ignore. He shares the honors with GG. I'm not reading their posts so if you need me to read Squis to understand you, well.....that's just not going to happen.

You are ignoring content by this member.

I never gave you **** in political forums @squistion I understood why some did but i thought it was unnecessary. Don’t make me regret that :)

You are correct there is a new music thread. When one of the biggest megastars in the world releases an unconventional album it may not be thread worthy in your world, or perhaps not even mine, but here we are. Just let people post what they want and let the mods deal with it.

My point is the new music thread isn’t a good place to discuss music since there is almost no discussion to be had. It’s mostly just posted song links. If someone thinks an album is fantastic and worthy of discussion, they are more likely to receive responses if a new thread is started.

I never gave you **** in political forums @squistion I understood why some did but i thought it was unnecessary. Don’t make me regret that :)

You are correct there is a new music thread. When one of the biggest megastars in the world releases an unconventional album it may not be thread worthy in your world, or perhaps not even mine, but here we are. Just let people post what they want and let the mods deal with it.

Fair enough.

Only from Timmy so far.

Not at all. I mean, other than featuring some country legends, a cover of Jolene and perhaps some C&W twang on some songs, I wouldn't consider this "country" in the way I interpret it to mean. This isn't Reba MacIntyre (sp?).

Put on the song "Bodyguard" and tell me your thoughts. That's my early favorite off the album, though I added 5 to my "favorites" Playlist on Spotify already after just one spin.
love that too. It does sound like “Smooth” by Santana and Rob Thomas doesn’t it?

I just heard her cover of Blackbird, very nice vocals and musicaly faithful to the original.
Just listened as well and she does a nice job with it. Beyonce has never been in my wheelhouse, but have never questioned her talent. I'm going to take a listen to some more of the album.

Does she actually write any music?

When you posted this, it got me curious about her songwriting credits. So I went through and counted them up off of her studio albums, both Destiny's Child material and Beyonce solo. FWIW, all of them throughout her career have been co-writing credits -- later ones with as many as eleven credited co-writers.

with Destiny's Child
---------------------------------
Destiny's Child (1998)
2 out of 13 tracks

The Writing's on the Wall (1999)
11 out of 16 tracks

Survivor (2001)
14 out of 15 tracks

8 Days of Christmas (2001)
3 out of 11 tracks

Destiny Fulfilled (2004)
10 out of 11 tracks

Beyoncé solo
---------------------------------
Dangerously in Love (2003)
9 out of 15 tracks

B'Day (2006)
13 out of 13 tracks

I am ... Sasha Fierce (2008)
5 out of 11 tracks

4 (2011)
11 out of 12 tracks

Beyoncé (2013)
14 out of 14 tracks

Lemonade (2016)
12 out of 12 tracks

Renaissance (2022)
16 out of 16 tracks

Cowboy Carter (2024)
24 out of 27 tracks

replace the political forum with a music forum.
At least it is obviously a music thread, as opposed to the ones with the vague titles that you venture into it before realizing, "Oh, another music thread."

(and yes, I realize I ventured into this one, too, even though it's not my thing, but at least I knew what I was doing this time!)

“II Most Wanted” is a duet of Beyonce and Miley Cyrus. For me it’s one of the highlights of the album. They sound amazingly great together.

Yup, that's a great tune.

How about her opera singing in Daughter? I figured that was a cameo/guest opera singer when I first heard it.....no, that's her! Incredible talent to just pull that off.

Users who are viewing this thread