What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cross Hobby Trading - Legit? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Know-It-All

Footballguy
Assuming no collusion, is it legit to trade value outside of fantasy football for draft slots within fantasy football? I.e., you want the #1 pick, can you offer the guy free car washes, one night with your sister, the #1 pick in your baseball draft, the rights to your best Dungeons and Dragons character...you get the idea. Is it legit (assuming the other party is interested) to trade non-FF assets for swapping draft picks, etc?

Nope. Fantasy leagues are self-contained entities. Assets within a league can only be traded for other assets within the league.

It'd be just as non-kosher for two guys to join a pair of leagues, and for Guy#1 to trade his top three picks in league A for Guy#2's top three picks in league B. It's not fair to the rest of the teams in either league, and it'll destroy any semblance of competitive balance.

Now, if it's a sufficiently friendly league and the pieces involved are sufficiently worthless, you might carve out an exception for it. Maybe allow guys to trade their 19th round pick for a 20th round pick and a beer at the live draft. Maybe allow teams to make real-life bets using crappy players at the end of their rosters as stakes. Maybe allow someone to swap waiver priority as a "thank you" to a buddy who just did him a huge favor. You might decide that the amount of fun it adds to the league is enough to outweigh the extremely minor ripples it causes in the competitive fabric. I've had a few leagues like that, where basically the whole point was to get together with your buddies once a year, get wasted, and have a fun afternoon. I've seen a few trades go through involving outside stakes, and never had a problem with it. The key, again, was that all pieces involved were so miniscule that any impact it had on competitive balance was basically nonexistent.

I've always thought it would be fun to run a fantasy olympics of sorts (fantasy football, baseball, and basketball all with the same group) where you could trade players across sports.

Other than that, no.

I used outlandish examples - but this actually came up in my most recent draft (for a league that is competitive but friendly - has been together for 21 years). The pick itself was an 8th round pick and the guy with pick 8.12 wanted to trade up to 8.1 for a swap of picks and a pizza. Frankly I didn't care - but it was shot down by the commissioner. They then wanted to do the trade straight up and he still would not allow it because the 8.1 guy was getting no value in return.

I used outlandish examples - but this actually came up in my most recent draft (for a league that is competitive but friendly - has been together for 21 years). The pick itself was an 8th round pick and the guy with pick 8.12 wanted to trade up to 8.1 for a swap of picks and a pizza. Frankly I didn't care - but it was shot down by the commissioner. They then wanted to do the trade straight up and he still would not allow it because the 8.1 guy was getting no value in return.
Based on ADP, that trade is something like Josh Gordon for Miles Austin, or BJGE for Ronnie Hillman. I don't think any league on the planet would have a problem with either of those trades, which tells me that 8.01 and 8.12 are sufficiently close in value where I'd be okay with it in a friendly league, provided the pizza was sufficiently good. I'd think an 11-spot move in the 8th round would be worth at least a large specialty.

Maybe the commissioner should have demanded a second pizza to be distributed among the rest of the league for the inconvenience.

If you have to ask then you know the answer.
I'd say "If you have to ask, then you 'no' the answer"

It's obviously not fair to the rest of the league in any way. I mean, why not just buy out some other guy for the entry fee + some % and trade for his top guys? Bypass that whole loophole about not being allowed two teams in the same league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found this approach works well in my model plane making club. One year, I traded Emmitt Smith for a B-17 Memphis Belle replica. Shark move or what?

If every owner is operating with the same understanding, in a friendly league, its fine. But it had to be understood up front.

I've found this approach works well in my model plane making club. One year, I traded Emmitt Smith for a B-17 Memphis Belle replica. Shark move or what?
The real Emmitt Smith? Did he agree to the servitude? But FNA right the Memphis Belle replica would be sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread