What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Culpepper Not Sure He'll Be Ready For First Game (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
link

For the first time since being traded to the Dolphins last month, former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper expressed some doubt that his surgically repaired knee will be strong enough for him to start the season.

"That's my goal, but there really is no timeline on when I'm going to be 100 percent or ready to play," Culpepper said Monday at team headquarters.

"That's my personal goal, but I still have a good picture of the whole thing, and I'm real good with reality here, and I know that an injury like this is tough to come back from that quick."

My only response to this article is, "well, Duh!?!?!" The guy blew all 3 ligaments in his knee. You don't just throw a wrap on the knee, pat the guy on the fanny and send him back in there.....

My only response to this article is, "well, Duh!?!?!" The guy blew all 3 ligaments in his knee. You don't just throw a wrap on the knee, pat the guy on the fanny and send him back in there.....
What if the wrap is Duct Tape? I think then you can.

What a guy says 3-5 months into an ACL rehab should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless he's a miracle healer, he'll still be recovering through the first part of the season (at least). In fact, even if he says he's ready to go as game 1 approaches, I'd be shocked if Miami lets him rush back. They've waited too long for a bona fide QB to jeopardize his longterm.

So who will be the Dolphin's opening day starter?

They have three QBs on the roster right now, CPep, Cleo Lemon, and Brock Berlin.

:lmao: Good luck with that.

He will need to increase his Walmart parking lot training schedule. He may want to incorporate two-a-days with K-mart wind sprints.

They have three QBs on the roster right now, CPep, Cleo Lemon, and Brock Berlin.

Phins are still shopping for a veteran QB...I think lately their are interested in acquiring Collins...

I thought they were rumored to be in the running for Joey Harrington? Regardless, there's no doubt they'll be able to come up with a spot starter should they need to. It's only April. IMHO if there's a ragtag QB unit to be getting amused with it's Brad Johnson, Mike McMahon, JT O'Sullivan. :X

:lmao:   Good luck with that.
I thought they were rumored to be in the running for Joey Harrington? Regardless, there's no doubt they'll be able to come up with a spot starter should they need to. It's only April. IMHO if there's a ragtag QB unit to be getting amused with it's Brad Johnson, Mike McMahon, JT O'Sullivan. :X
Long term, I'd agree. But at least BJ is a healthy starter right now.

'Right now' being the key words when talking about a 38 year old.

Yes, I mean through week 8. Then Brodie Croyle takes over.

Don't forget a cortizone shot and lap dance for the pain. Then he'll be G2G!

Obviously you are just trying to amuse at this point.

Or whoever they take in the 2nd.

Or JT O'Sullivan. At that point what does it really matter. And BTW- while we're sweating out that scenario Culpepper should be back to 95% and Miami will be wiping their hands of whatever their short term QB answer was.

Or JT O'Sullivan. At that point what does it really matter. And BTW- while we're sweating out that scenario Culpepper should be back to 95% and Miami will be wiping their hands of whatever their short term QB answer was.
Yeah, yeah. We all know you want to have Culpepper's baby.

Hey, at least I'm not swinging from Brodie Croyle's sack. But hey, feel free to keep adding petty quips to Culpepper threads. You post like a frigging "we didn't want him anyway now that he's not one of us" Packer fan.

Hey, at least I'm not swinging from Brodie Croyle's sack. But hey, feel free to keep adding petty quips to Culpepper threads. You post like a frigging "we didn't want him anyway now that he's not one of us" Packer fan.
I didn't want him even when he was one of "us".Nor do I think Croyle is the answer.

But you're really fun.

Phins are still shopping for a veteran QB...I think lately their are interested in acquiring Collins...
I smell a sig bet ;)

DO NOT underestimate Cleo..If Culpepper takes too long to recover, he might have a tough time wrestling the starting job away from Lemon... Possible QB controversy on the horizon...

I was just getting ready to start the Cleo Lemon Bandwaggon thread too...

This comes as NO surprise to me given the nature of the injury and the time it has taken other players to, not just return, but return to 100% ability.

For the same reason, I'm always surprised by the number of people who think Javon Walker and (to a lesser degree) Braylon Edwards will be very successful in 2006. Possible sure but unlikely.

after completely ruining a knee... MCL, PCL, ACL... no way, and he'll have a brace on when he comes back.. sure he won't have the dan marino robotic leg... but at least a brace

I think this will be the big storyline in the AFC this year...how quickly QBs Culpepper and Palmer can get back onto the field. The Dolphins and Bengals are both trendy picks but if they get into a hole early they will have a tough time getting into the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

I smell a sig bet ;)
It's not a real strong interest, but here's the clip from Miami Herald:COLLINS ON RADAR

The Dolphins have talked to agent David Dunn about former Oakland quarterback Kerry Collins as a possible backup after the departure of Gus Frerotte. Collins ranks higher on the team's priority list than Detroit's Joey Harrington.

Dunn indicated Monday that both Collins and Harrington are hoping to land starting jobs. The Lions are attempting to trade Harrington, but they would have to cut him in June if he's still with the team because of an $8.5 million bonus due then.

I hope he's not trying to rush back. Even if he's physically able to start in Week 1, how effective is he going to be after not being able to go full strength during the offseason with a new team. I wouldn't expect him to really get into a rhythm or be a factor until maybe mid-season anyway.

Who takes over week 9 after Croyle is injured? :D

DO NOT underestimate Cleo..If Culpepper takes too long to recover, he might have a tough time wrestling the starting job away from Lemon... Possible QB controversy on the horizon...

I was just getting ready to start the Cleo Lemon Bandwaggon thread too...
A lot of SD fans were disappointed when Lemon was traded for Feeley. He's a guy who deserves a shot to start. I think the reasoning was that AJ knew that he was going to get rid of Brees and wanted to bring in an experienced QB instead of keeping a young QB. Lemon has talent and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in Miami while Culpepper recovers.

PFT

POSTED 8:50 a.m. EDT, April 12, 2006CULPEPPER TO MISS MOST OF THE YEAR?As speculation continues regarding the question of whether Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper will be ready at the start of the 2006 regular season, we're hearing increased rumblings that Culpepper might not be able to play at all this year.Culpepper is recovering from three torn ligaments -- MCL, ACL, and PCL -- in his right knee, which occurred when he took a low hit from the side in an October 30 game between Culpepper's old team, the Vikings, and the Carolina Panthers.The Dolphins sent a second-round pick to the Vikings last month for Culpepper, who rapidly fell out of favor in Minnesota via his decision to rehab in Florida, his desire for more a lot more money, and his propensity to send out e-mails to the media in his capacity as his own agent.Meanwhile, the Fins are looking for a veteran backup quarterback. They've kicked the tires of Tommy Maddox and are in the running for Lions quarterback Joey Harrington.

I thought it was hilarious that people had Daunte in their top 10 qbs going into this year.

yeah, his knee is going to be good to go after less than a year. Okay.

:rolleyes:

I thought it was hilarious that people had Daunte in their top 10 qbs going into this year.

They did? Switching teams is bad enough for fantasy performance. Add a shredded knee and confidence questions and I don't see how he's even draftable unless really late.

They did? Switching teams is bad enough for fantasy performance. Add a shredded knee and confidence questions and I don't see how he's even draftable unless really late.
for some reason the first few posts in this thread stuck in my head:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...33445&hl=Daunte

but it seems that most on the boards have him ranked around where he should be, as a qb2 or less.

I think that Culpepper will start the season for the Dolphins with absolutely no reservation. He will be less mobile for sure, but IMHO he will be able to perform at a TOP 10 QB level for the entire 2006 season.

He was certainly a double threat with regards to using his legs to keep opposing Defenses off balance, and he will loose some of that threat. But it is not like he was a Running Back relying on his legs every down, and the turn around should be less time consuming than for a RB.

Mark Brunell, Trent Green, and Randall Cunningham all came back strong from their knee surgeries and orthopedic technology was not nearly as good as it is now.

His surgery was on Nov. 14, 2005. Since then all signs have been good. His recent Press Release is encouraging and only backs up the news from the Vikings Training Staff from February.

Apparently he will have another review from his doctor at the end of this week; let's see what the doctor says ...

Andy Dufresne said:

yeah, his knee is going to be good to go after less than a year.  Okay.

:hey:
Let's be fair, Andy. Culpepper did throw some floaters and underthrew some short passes. He did not look 100% on those throws and is definitely not his old self (yet). But he still put up good yardage against one of the best Ds in the league, and made good decisions for most of the game. He's not fantasy QB he was with Moss and co., but he could still finish in the top 10. If he plays like he did last night against weaker Ds and gets better physically as the year goes on, the fantasy results will be good. He only faltered at the end of the game, and well, that's Daunte for you.

Let's be fair, Andy. Culpepper did throw some floaters and underthrew some short passes. He did not look 100% on those throws and is definitely not his old self (yet). But he still put up good yardage against one of the best Ds in the league, and made good decisions for most of the game. He's not fantasy QB he was with Moss and co., but he could still finish in the top 10. If he plays like he did last night against weaker Ds and gets better physically as the year goes on, the fantasy results will be good. He only faltered at the end of the game, and well, that's Daunte for you.
I suppose you're right. As a Vikings fan, I'm clouding my opinion of him as a real-life NFL QB cloud my opinion of him fantasy wise. As a Vikings fan, I'm very glad he's gone.I still, personally, couldn't see him being on any fantasy roster of mine. Especially if my league penalizes for interceptions.

Never thought that would be someone named Tarvaris Jackson. Or Brooks Bollinger.

Users who are viewing this thread