What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Culpepper to the Raiders? (1 Viewer)

Ed4252

Footballguy
"NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Raiders are in conversations with free agent Daunte Culpepper after having him in for a tryout.

This sounds like either a direct indictment of how Josh McCown has played in early practice or a means to create leverage in talks with JaMarcus Russell, who remains unsigned. Also, the Raiders currently have just one arm in camp (McCown's) with Andrew Walter recovering from knee surgery."

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...NFL&id=1227

How has Josh McCown been doing?-I haven't seen any Raiders training camp reports yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep remembering how Walter was getting creamed last year with his lack of mobility and how Culpepper looked last year when rushed back. Could be ugly

i don't know why CPep is even considering this move. He wants a one year deal so that he can show the league that he's fully recovered so that he can hit a big payday after 2007. But going to Oakland is a bad move because he won't look as good as if he was on a playoff-calibur team. The smart move is to go to Jax or maybe Atlanta and earn a spot. He's so worried about getting locked up for 3 years that he doesn't realize that he won't have any teams interested in him after looking bad in Oakland. See, this is why players shouldn't serve as their own agents.

burd said:
i don't know why CPep is even considering this move. He wants a one year deal so that he can show the league that he's fully recovered so that he can hit a big payday after 2007. But going to Oakland is a bad move because he won't look as good as if he was on a playoff-calibur team. The smart move is to go to Jax or maybe Atlanta and earn a spot. He's so worried about getting locked up for 3 years that he doesn't realize that he won't have any teams interested in him after looking bad in Oakland. See, this is why players shouldn't serve as their own agents.
JAX and ATL aren't interested.

burd said:
pretty bad when Jax opts for a guy out of football for 3 years over C-Pep.Culpepper is toast

I can't think of a more pathetic former superstar.

This guy has been a :wub: since just before his knee injury. How quickly he fell.

No wonder Childress hated him.

burd said:
pretty bad when Jax opts for a guy out of football for 3 years over C-Pep.Culpepper is toast
I think that was more of a money issue, not talent.

burd said:
i don't know why CPep is even considering this move. He wants a one year deal so that he can show the league that he's fully recovered so that he can hit a big payday after 2007. But going to Oakland is a bad move because he won't look as good as if he was on a playoff-calibur team. The smart move is to...
Culpepper hasn't made a 'smart move' in 3 years. Totally agree with pretty much your entire take on this insanity, including your take on the need for an agent. It seems like most guys who fall from stardom do something against league policy or had some criminal violation. Culpepper has just been inexcusably bad representing his own interests. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't even occured to him that this "workout" is simply him getting used by an organization looking for leverage during rookie negotiations.

At least he gets to start now....

"Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune is reporting that the Raiders are expected to sign QB Daunte Culpepper.

If true, Culpepper would join Josh McCown and Andrew Walter, who have been splitting reps with the first team while JaMarcus Russell holds out. Culpepper would have to prove he's healthy to have a legitimate shot at playing time, and his most likely role remains as a back-up."

Joe B was right, all the Raiders are doing is throwing talent (or lack there of) on the wall and seeing what sticks.

I see this as a leverage tactic to sign J.R for less $$$ , also this allows the raiders to cut walters and let Cpepp tutor J.R(lots of similarities).....what the hell,can`t hurt :wall:

Raiders look at Plan 'C' at QB

With Russell still absent, Culpepper will work out today

By Steve Corkran, MEDIANEWS STAFF

Article Last Updated: 07/31/2007 02:33:19 AM PDT

NAPA — The Raiders are cranking up the heat on no-show quarterback JaMarcus Russell by working out free agent Daunte Culpepper this morning.

Coach Lane Kiffin confirmed the move Monday night, one day after he characterized the contract negotiations between the Raiders and No. 1 draft pick Russell as "going kind of slow."

On Monday, Kiffin said progress is being made. Maybe so, but apparently not enough to his and the Raiders liking.

"I have great confidence in our people back in the office (in Alameda)," Kiffin said.

"They do keep me updated. Things are going well at this time. At the end of the day, we have to do the best thing in the interest for the Raiders and for our future. I know our people are doing that right now."

The Raiders made Russell the first selection of the NFL draft in April. However, they haven't been able to hammer out a long-term contract with Russell in more than three months since that time.

"We're flying (Culpepper) in," Kiffin said. "Any time you have a chance to investigate something that could help our team win, we're going to do it. Obviously, Daunte is something we've been looking into a little bit, and this is the climax of it."

Kiffin said the Raiders sent a front-office employee to Florida to work out Culpepper on Monday and, based on that, set up today's workout. Russell's absence is a factor in this decision, he added.

"Sure it has to do with that," Kiffin said. "You've got to take everything

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

into consideration.

"You've got to protect your team, you've got to put your team in the best position to win and make sure you have the right depth and the right competition. So, obviously, that factors into it."

Culpepper, 30, started the four games he played for Miami last season.

He was released July 17 on the heels of the Dolphins signing former Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green. Culpepper worked out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers two days later but wasn't offered a contract.

Kiffin said Sunday that the impasse stems from "money." Russell is at his mother's house in Mobile (Ala.). Russell's agent, Eric Metz, said by phone that his policy is not to discuss contract negotiations with the media.

Russell missed his fifth and sixth practices Monday. His teammates reported to Napa on Thursday and started practice Friday.

Veterans Josh McCown and Andrew Walter are splitting reps at quarterback in Russell's absence. Kiffin gushed over McCown on Monday.

"He's shown us that he continues to make plays," Kiffin said. "As you watch the film ... he's not scared of anything. He's throwing the ball (well), he's got a great feel for the rush, he's getting rid of the ball even before he's supposed to because he feels something on his backside. He's fitting in really well."

EXTRA POINTS: Tight end Randal Williams missed both practices because of "personal issues," Kiffin said. Cornerback Duane Starks (hamstring), tight end James Adkisson (hamstring), offensive tackle Chad Slaughter (calf), cornerback John Bowie (Achilles tendon) and guard Ben Claxton (knee) also missed practice. Running back LaMont Jordan (back) was held out of the evening practice after getting banged up in the morning workout. ... Jeremy Newberry is splitting first-team reps with Jake Grove at center.

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread