What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (1 Viewer)

any buzz on this guy in the preseason? my rookie draft pick is coming up and he's still on the board but I don't know anything about how he's doing this preseason. Any recent news or buzz appreciated.
I know they are having him learn all 3 wr positions and that he was looking great when the pads were off. I like him in dynasty a lot, especially in return leagues. 

I know they are having him learn all 3 wr positions and that he was looking great when the pads were off. I like him in dynasty a lot, especially in return leagues. 
IMO classic buy low in 2019 for dynasty. I can only speak for my league, but the guy who drafted him did so thinking WR2 role (I think he also owns Goodwin). He's kind of crazy. Problem is I'd have to approach him with "what WR would you give up for ____" and see if he puts the deal together on his own. I don't see much of a chance for significant value in 2018 becuase of the other targets there. This is probably contradictory from something I said 3 months ago, and in that case I'd say I'm wrong 3 months ago, but Kittle and Goodwin have a good handle on those targets. I'm not convinced this offense will be able to support 4 fantasy relevant players in the passing game (he'd have to beat out Garcon too)

It was a strange pick for the 9'ers. Last year they traded their 2018 4th rd pick to move back into the 5th rd to grab Trent Taylor, one of Shanny's guys. Taylor did good in the slot for them. Then they took Pettis in the 2nd this year and because of his size, everyone thought he'd be a slot guy but that may not be the case.

He started strong in the beginning of camp but I lost track of him a bit now but I know there was good buzz early on but when Taylor came back from injury, he's seemed to take his slot role back. So don't know where Pettis fits in but seems like Shanny has some plan for him. Could just be return guy for now and grooming him to take over for Garcon? But he has been good and definitely flashed in practice.

Sorry, no clear decision for you but if you can hold him, may be good to get a piece of an ascending offense. 

thanks for the feedback, guys. Sounds like a perfect last-round-of-rookie-draft to me! We have short benches and only keep 13, so that's why a guy like Pettis is still available in round 6 of our rookie/free agent draft. thanks again

Dante Pettis caught 2-of-5 targets for 61 yards and one touchdown in the 49ers' Week 1 loss to the Vikings.

With Marquise Goodwin going down very early in the second quarter with a quad injury, Pettis was the next man up opposite Pierre Garcon with Trent Taylor in the slot. Pettis scored the Niners' lone touchdown, making an over-the-shoulder catch from 22 yards out on an escape maneuver by Jimmy Garoppolo outside the pocket. Pettis will be on the fantasy map if Goodwin misses time.

Sep 9 - 5:02 PM

I like the kid a lot. He can create separation with his quickness at this level. Needs some experience catching the ball in a crowd, but that’s just a matter of playing time. 

By mid season at the latest, I think he will replace Garcon as the starter. Obviously, if Goodwin is out an extended period, he will be a waiver wire darling now. 

49ers.com's Joe Fann believes Dante Pettis "would have a huge role" if Marquise Goodwin (quad) sits out Week 2 against the Lions.

It is not a bold prediction considering Pettis served as the No. 2 receiver after Goodwin exited the season opener, playing 72.7 percent of the snaps and catching two passes for 61 yards and a touchdown on five targets. With a prime matchup against the Lions on deck, Pettis will be in the WR3 conversation if Goodwin is forced to miss. He is a great speculative add.

Source: Joe Fann on Twitter 

Sep 13 - 9:28 AM

I'm starting this dude this week. 

JG gonna be pissed and ready to roll at home.  Playing an awful pass D.   Give him 250 passing yards minimum, and 1/3rd of those going to Pettis.

I don't have room to pick him up at the moment but hoping one of my injured guys soon gets the O so l have a bench spot to grab him before the games start Sunday. 

Not to throw too much of a wet blanket on Pettis, but just to point out that his TD catch was meant for the receiver next to him, and he made sort of a weird catch to take it away.  That said, it only takes a couple of deep bombs to set up a nice fantasy day.

Slay will be all over Garcon.  Lions LB can't really cover and so in this game Kittle will likely blow up.  However Nevin Lawson is garbage and gave up 2 TD's last week so there is a legit chance Pettis blows up in this game and doesn't look back.  Got to like the 48.5 o/u....

Not to throw too much of a wet blanket on Pettis, but just to point out that his TD catch was meant for the receiver next to him, and he made sort of a weird catch to take it away.  That said, it only takes a couple of deep bombs to set up a nice fantasy day.
How do you see it that way?

Not to throw too much of a wet blanket on Pettis, but just to point out that his TD catch was meant for the receiver next to him, and he made sort of a weird catch to take it away. 
don't think so, jimmy clearly looking at the open receiver Pettis with garcon streaking down the sideline covered, though they end up in the same spot during the scramble. i see why you would think so, but watch from this angle starting at the 40 second mark. jimmy looking like he locks into pettis (center) as soon as he comes out of his spin.

hard to like a guy coming off just 2 recs..if thats the best we can do for a week 2 start, we're ALL in trouble.

look elsewhere.D. Funchess sans Olsen. just one idea. Funchess' stats went up 48% last year, when Olsen was out. Atl is banged up all over the defense.

I think SF goes thru the RBs this week, trying to get that end of things going. Alf and Breida might be in for big games.

hard to like a guy coming off just 2 recs..if thats the best we can do for a week 2 start, we're ALL in trouble.

look elsewhere.D. Funchess sans Olsen. just one idea. Funchess' stats went up 48% last year, when Olsen was out. Atl is banged up all over the defense.

I think SF goes thru the RBs this week, trying to get that end of things going. Alf and Breida might be in for big games.
Darnold in his 1st game ever threw for 198 and 2. 

I feel like Jimmy G can do better than that.  It's a plus passing matchup. 

Morris/Breida are ok, but they're not some world beater rushing game.  Garcon will be shadowed by the top corner.  Kittle/Pettis both feel like solid plays here.

Well I was definitely wrong on him this week.  Thought he would have a solid game  Droppable?

Well I was definitely wrong on him this week.  Thought he would have a solid game  Droppable?
I read he hurt his knee in the 2nd quarter. I think he came back the 2nd half but Niners were running the ball more. I think he has talent but I don’t see him providing any consistency this season.

I did too. Started so promising, first catch of the game for 35 yards then nothing else. He was on the field for 88% of the plays too.
The whole 49er passing game was off Sunday. Only 6 passes completed to WRs all game.  

They will need to score a lot of points to keep up with the KC track team on Sunday, so if your options aren't great, Pettis is worth another shot.

The whole 49er passing game was off Sunday. Only 6 passes completed to WRs all game.  

They will need to score a lot of points to keep up with the KC track team on Sunday, so if your options aren't great, Pettis is worth another shot.
Depends if Goodwin plays i guess. I wouldnt feel comfortable starting him coming off the bench.

I like Pettis a lot. But the hype was getting out of control.

There was an article saying he was "on pace" to beat Jerry Rice's rookie receiving yard record, after one game.

I rolled my eyes.

Dante Pettis - WR -  49ers

Dante Pettis (knee) has been ruled out for Week 6 against the Packers.

Being ruled out this early in the week once again doesn't bode well for Pettis' immediate future. He's possibly looking at missing a number of more games. The Niners' receiver corps is really banged up with Marquise Goodwin (hamstring) missing Week 5. Pierre Garcon hasn't scored in 16 games.

Oct 8 - 7:14 PM

Had a nice game last week and he seems to finally getting healthy again. Not sure what is going on with Goodwin but he may be a surprise producer down the stretch and I really like him going into next year.

He's put two solid games together. SF fans how is he looking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ybluW_RYY

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/video/every-catch-from-dante-pettis-breakout-game--week-13/3quuuck5v0ym1d5h2yvjaqjw2

Looks legit to me - excellent hands and some really nice moves after the catch. Will be an exciting player to watch next year if Garcon is gone and they don't bring in a big name.

I expect DJ Moore to be the cream of the 2018 WR crop, but Pettis could easily be the 2nd best. And with fantasy, situation is everything. If he's the WR1 on a Shanahan offense, he could outpace Moore while he's stuck in a Norv Turner offense.

Edit: replaced crappy nfl.com link

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of people gawking over his route running ability.  He drops his hips and changes directions as well as anyone.  He's dropping defenders out of his cuts.  He's got enough wiggle to make  big runs after the catch.  People were concerned about him getting off the line vs physical competition, but he's doing just fine.  May have value the rest of this season.  Should be a nice late round pickup--WR3/WR 4 next year, especially if/when Jimmy G is back.

There's a lot of people gawking over his route running ability.  He drops his hips and changes directions as well as anyone.  He's dropping defenders out of his cuts.  He's got enough wiggle to make  big runs after the catch.  People were concerned about him getting off the line vs physical competition, but he's doing just fine.  May have value the rest of this season.  Should be a nice late round pickup--WR3/WR 4 next year, especially if/when Jimmy G is back.
Finally healthy and getting snaps with Garcon and Goodwin out.  Kids can run after the catch for sure.

As a Niner fan, he is about the only reason to watch the rest of the year.  

Picked him up. Was sitting on wire. On a bye  but will be starting him next week if he shows up again this week. 

I'm in after Manny's injury today.  And his ROS isn't bad.

And with denver's issues (harris/sanders) this week, on the road, he's in. 

Pettis reminds me of Keenan Allen

REALLY impressed with Pettis!  In watching some of his college tape, I noticed some very impressive route running, which is why I think he's transitioning quickly to the pro game so quickly.  Along with that, he has very nice coordination on jump/contested balls and impressive with the ball in his hands after the catch.   He's a very well rounded receiver and maybe already the best on the team.   I think he was a little underrated coming into the draft and getting slept on a bit in the fantasy community still as well.   

Anyone concerned with plugging Pettis in your lineup this week now that Goodwin and Garcon are practicing and expected to play?

Anyone concerned with plugging Pettis in your lineup this week now that Goodwin and Garcon are practicing and expected to play?
Garcon likely to miss again, as per Rotoworld. 

I picked up Zay Jones after Sanders went down, but now I'm having second thoughts. I don't need to start either of them just yet, but between Sanders' injury and JSamuels' expiration date, I'm pretty thin at WR/flex, so I want the guy who is most likely to be able to step in if necessary. I'm starting to think it might be smarter to bet on Pettis' talent over Jones' opportunity

Lionsfan011 said:
I haven’t watched the 49ers a ton but when I have I got the impression Goodwin runs a lot of 7-8-9 whereas Pettis is a crisp 1-6 route runner. Goodwin being back may actually help him, he’s not a target hog by any means.

Dante Pettis caught 3-of-7 targets for 49 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' Week 14 win over the Broncos.

One of Pettis' missed connections was a third down drop where he had room to run. That was a disappointment, but Pettis still ended up easily leading the 49ers' receiver corps in production. (Nevermind the fact that George Kittle went off for 210 yards.) Although he's been inconsistent, Pettis has flashed his playmaking ability over the past three weeks, finding the end zone four times. He's an intriguing hold in Dynasty leagues.

Love the kid's future.  Might bite and play him over the next 2 weeks.  

75 yard TD last week.  Redzone TD this week.  His footwork off the line is abusing defenders.  

If you're in dynasty, hold him/get him.  

In redraft--target him next year.

He'll be going up against the same SEA he went 5/129/2 on, this time in SF.

Gonna have a hard time not using him as my flex/WR3 this week, he's WR14 over the last 3 weeks in my league so far.

SEA will most certainly be keying on Kittle after last week, run Dante run.

Users who are viewing this thread