What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Boston - 265 lbs!!! (1 Viewer)

Ok, stop the madness. Does anyone here really have a clue of what they are saying or are you guys just posting random musings that pop in your head.First some basics. Ligaments are not even connected to muscle. They are strictly bone to bone attachments and they are there for support and structure. The ACL, MCL, PCL are ligaments. They have absolutely nothing to do with anything muscle. The only remotely close thing is... if you build up muscle around the area you can somewhat limit injury to a ligament by limiting the stress on that ligament and allowing muscle to shoulder some of that stress.Tendons are Muscle to Bone attachments. This is the sort of thing that I "think" you guys are worried about. It sounds like this myth... the stonger someone is, the more pressure is placed on their tendons, the easier they will snap. I'm here to tell you, it doesn't happen. There are two tendon injuries that are at the very least, somewhat common. The Achille's tendon and the Patella tendon. The achilles tendon is the stringy thing at your heel that connects the muscles of the calf to the bone in you heal. Achille's injuries are usually the result of extensive downward pressure on you, while you are pushing upwards against it. Most of the time it's a pretty freak injury. I don't care how strong your calf is, it's not going to put enough pressure on your achilles to snap it. The tensile strength of tendons, especially in younger people is enormous. Which is why weightlifters can lift 500 lbs and not have tendons snap on them. The patella tendon is a knee tendon. Again, this injury really has very very little to do with anything the muscles around the knee cap are doing to pull on it. Most Patella tendon problems are the result of knee ligament injuries or due to jumping.You just do NOT see the flexor tendons of the arms/hands getting snapped by massive biceps and forearm muscles. It just doesn't happen. Trust me on this one... the MUSCLE is going to tear before the tendon does. And larger muscle mass is usually BETTER for preventing muscle tears then smaller muscle mass.STOP THE INSANITY!F
Actually, as a veteran of 2 ACL reconstructions, I think I do have a clue what I'm talking about. Ofcourse the strength of David's quad is not so great that it will snap his tendons. And to your "powerlifting" comment... when was the last time they took that weight and ran a square out, with a hard plant? Oh yeah, they don't do that.We're not talking about his physical strength, we're talking about his bulk. Very simply, when a persons body is made to handle a frame of 220 lbs (for example) and they artificially bulk up to 270lbs they are in danger. Not because their muscle will snap their tendons, but because the torque and added pressure on a hard cut can be much more stressful on the joints that any powerlifting movement.I never claimed ligaments were attached to muscle, so you're losing me there.Additionally, you make the statement that most patellar tendon injuries are due to jumping. Exactly. If David Boston is 50 lbs overweight - be it muscle or fat - his connective tissue doesn't differentiate. He is currently the weight of a defensive lineman. He has the connective tissue of a wide reciever. Something is going to give. Not because he's strong. Because he's HEAVY.

Exactly. If David Boston is 50 lbs overweight - be it muscle or fat - his connective tissue doesn't differentiate. He is currently the weight of a defensive lineman. He has the connective tissue of a wide reciever. Something is going to give. Not because he's strong. Because he's HEAVY.
I just don't get this arguement How do we know he doesn't have the body (frame) to handle 245 pounds also if he were a DB or bruising RB or something to this affect we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Just because he has a LB body and plays WR does not mean he shouldn't have the kinda weight he does. And as far as your comment about doing exercises to strengthen his joints and the fact that you hadn't read the article when there was a link right there shows that you had your mind made up without actually taking the time to get all the facts. PS keep up the negative talk on Boston. I hope it gets around that just means I can get him later than I should.

How do we know he doesn't have the frame? Take a look at his chicken ankles for one. A well trained athelete doesn't suddenly put on 50 lbs of pure muscle. As a college athelete, he was working out all along with a world class strength coach at Ohio St. He was a decent sized guy, but nothing to turn your head. Now he works under Charles Poloquin and suddenly he's Deisel. Want to know something about Charles Poloquin? He's a pro body builder trainer. And if you know *ANYTHING* about professional body building, you'll know that not a single major professional body builder that competes in the IFBB is drug free. HANDS DOWN. David Boston didn't just suddenly have a growth spurt at age 25. Any ability he has at age 25 to pack on that mass he already had at age 18. Also, let's remember, he put on this mass while maintaining his bodyfat at 5% ... not even the most positive of natural bodybuilding enthusiasts will claim this is possible.Either David Boston is a one of a kind true freak of nature, or he's sauced.

:bag:

Good call on 900/6 Mordred. :thumbup:
Blind squirrels and nuts, alas. But thanks for the props.Truth is, I tend to be pretty good at sniffing out trouble spots, especially if psychology and circumstance come together in a particularly ugly fashion. Makes me pretty good at predicting the nut cases. This was actually my best piece of Boston prediction on the year. (Saved the link. Vanity. Sue me. :bag: ) It scares me to know how in tune I am with the space-case mindset.

Unfortunately, I haven't got a ####ing clue how to predict the 95% of the league that isn't comprised of looneys. But remember me when it comes time to project TO this upcoming season. He's definitely in my wheelhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread