What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Givens! (1 Viewer)

jgb95

Footballguy
Texans | Givens cancels visit; reports say he re-signed with New England

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:12:28 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has canceled his visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 12. Reports out of New England late Saturday evening, March 11, were that Givens had decided to re-sign with the New England Patriots.

From Patriots.com

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=...d=15721&pcid=41

If this is true I am very pleasantly surprised. I really didn't think this would happen. Not sure if the JJ contract hurt his earning power or the Pats really stepped up or he felt strongly about remaining with the Pats. Regardless, as long as this deal isn't silly (and I can't believe it would be) than this is a very positive move for the Pats. They really weren't going to be able to upgrade over Givens in the current market. The fact he is only 25 and just entering his prime is another bonus. Now they have their starters in place they need to concentrate on adding quality depth to the position.

Solo-If you're reading this open up a beer and have yourself a toast because you never lost faith on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is true, sucks for his fantasy owners though (could've gone somewhere where he'd get more looks). Sucks for Deion Branch owners as well (Givens will steal his thunder).

From KFFL...

Patriots | Givens has not re-signedSun, 12 Mar 2006 06:43:47 -0800Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous. Blank said "anything is possible" at this stage. This is the second erroneous report this weekend involving a Givens signing.
Texans | Givens on his way to visitSun, 12 Mar 2006 06:43:05 -0800Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports agent Brad Blank said a Houston Chronicle report saying free agent WR David Givens (Patriots) has re-signed with the New England Patriots was erroneous and that Givens was still flying to Houston Sunday morning, March 12, to meet with the Houston Texans. Blank said "anything is possible" at this stage.

If this is true, sucks for his fantasy owners though (could've gone somewhere where he'd get more looks). Sucks for Deion Branch owners as well (Givens will steal his thunder).
I swore off all NE WR's in 2005, then torchered myself with Corey Dillon instead. There is only one NE FF player to own. Because he touches the ball on every snap.

If this is true, sucks for his fantasy owners though (could've gone somewhere where he'd get more looks).  Sucks for Deion Branch owners as well (Givens will steal his thunder).
I swore off all NE WR's in 2005, then torchered myself with Corey Dillon instead. There is only one NE FF player to own. Because he touches the ball on every snap.
You guys play with the Center in your league? :shock:

If this is true, sucks for his fantasy owners though (could've gone somewhere where he'd get more looks).  Sucks for Deion Branch owners as well (Givens will steal his thunder).
"torchered" ?? :confused:

"torchered" ?? :confused:
lollerstortured ftw

The WR's are signing fast : Jurevicous, Randle el, Lloyd trade.... Givens is going to need to make a decision soon. Looks like the Pats, Texans or Miami are now the leading contenders.

Some interesting info about Givens's demands on KFFL:

Texans | Givens too expensive to sign?

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:39:04 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans spent Sunday, March 12, meeting with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots). Givens reportedly wants $25 million over five years and that's out of the Texans' price range. Late Saturday night, March 11, the Texans said Boston-based agent Brad Blank informed them that Givens was going to re-sign with the New England Patriots. This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested. They still haven't given up on him, but the price is too high.
No way the Patriots give him that much, but if no one else will then he'll probably resign with them for less.

I'd love to know the exact details of this "miscommunication." It must have been pretty big for it to make it all the way to Patriots.com.

I'd love to know the exact details of this "miscommunication." It must have been pretty big for it to make it all the way to Patriots.com.
Heh heh. Me, too. Although, Patriots.com just quoted the same Houston newspaper article as everyone else did this morning.Sounds to me like Blanks just trying to drive up the market for his client (which is his job).

Users who are viewing this thread