What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeMarco Murray to the Titans, per Schef (1 Viewer)

Paul KuharskyESPN Staff Writer 

kuharsky_paul_m.jpg

The Titans got DeMarco Murray in exchange for swapping fourth-round picks with the Eagles. A 13-spot drop. Pretty close to free.

What sort of fantasy impact will this have on RB DeMarco Murray?

Matt Williams thinks he will get a ton of carries.

--------------

Matt Williamson ‏@WilliamsonNFL  Mar 8
Matt Williamson Retweeted curtis paulsen
Bad football move for #Titans, but for fantasy: He will get a ton of carries Matt Williamson added,
curtis paulsen @cjpaulsen
@WilliamsonNFL what are ur initial thoughts about Murray in Tennessee?

The Titans got DeMarco Murray in exchange for swapping fourth-round picks with the Eagles. A 13-spot drop. Pretty close to free.
Fantastic trade by the Titans.  I'd cut McCluster and save $2.65M off the cap to help pay for Murray's salary.

Good deal for both teams. He wasn't happy in Philly and made a ton of money. Eagles save cap mostly and move up a few spots for the 4th. Titans get a potential stud RB to help Mariota.

Gotta see them fix the line. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Jim Brown behind that line, nevermind Murray

Ehhhh... those examples are a little disingenuous. Kind of like saying, "Why draft a QB in the 1st when there are guys like Brady and Romo out there?" There are exceptions, but basically a player going to a bad team is very likely to be a bad thing for that player. People probably freaked out when Clinton Portis went to Washington. McCoy to Buffalo wasn't exactly a boon for his owners. The only likely/feasible saving grace for Murray would be volume, volume, and more volume.

I think I said in the Doug Martin thread that landing in Tennessee would be one of the worst outcomes for him. Only Cleveland has a better chance of getting the #1 pick for 2017 than the Titans.

Decker and Marshall mainly worked out because there was a change in offensive coordinator AND quarterback. Tennessee is bringing back their interim coach from last year. Not much to get excited about here.
In Murray's case he seemed to be misused and was splitting touches 3 ways.  Getting out of that situation where it looks like he should get a majority of the playing time can only be a good thing.  Your examples don't match well as in those cases they were the bell cow for one team going to another.  Murray is going from a major time share to what looks like an opportunity to see most of the work.  So your point about volume is correct. 

It seems to me Dallas didn't want to lose him but didn't want to pay him.  I'm not a Cowboys fan though so I can't swear to it.  Any Cowboy homers have any information to add?  Was he a malcontent or generally liked in Dallas?

It seems to me Dallas didn't want to lose him but didn't want to pay him.  I'm not a Cowboys fan though so I can't swear to it.  Any Cowboy homers have any information to add?  Was he a malcontent or generally liked in Dallas?
He wasn't a malcotent here in Philly. He just was frustrated at the misuse and then he made a lot of business decisions during the year.  He didn't really endear himself to teammates with those moves but his not a bad guy. 

Murray made a name for himself running behind the best oline in the business. He was exposed last season and I expect he will be even more exposed this season.

everyone talks about Dallas line they made Murray relevant. 

Murray made a name for himself running behind the best oline in the business. He was exposed last season and I expect he will be even more exposed this season.

everyone talks about Dallas line they made Murray relevant. 
Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL  8h8 hours ago
.@GregCosell on @Midday180: DeMarco Murray is a specific kind of runner, play to what he is, he's a very good back. #Titans
.@GregCosell on @Midday180: An I back, QB under center, run downhill. Outside zone, counter-trap. Not as good at inside zone. Not grt vision
.@GregCosell on @Midday180: Eagles ran Murray on sweeps, not his thing at all. #Titans
.@GregCosell on @Midday180: Murray can run power gap scheme stuff and outside zones. Not a creator. #Titans
.@GregCosell on @Midday180: Murray in some ways similar to Turner, also downhill. Different build. Faster than Murray early in career,
.@GregCosell on @Midday180: Murray is a physical, punishing back. A sustainer who turns 3 yards into 6. #Titans

As a Murray and Matthews owner I'm pretty upbeat about this. Murray should get a chance to be a bellcow again and Matthews should also be a lead back. I still think Murray is a solid back and I think he can put up low end rb1 numbers.
Same here.  I got these guys 2 years ago and was forced into an anti-handcuff last year.  This has to be better for those of us who own both.  After kind of a rest year, they are going to make Murray a workhorse in TEN so we may get a good year or 2 out of him then he's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a not so proud Murray owner I'm even less proud now.
I disagree with this.  He's most likely never seeing the volume of his last year in Dallas.  However I don't really see any reason why he can't put up something close to his second to last year in Dallas.   I think he's one of the best buys this offseason in dynasty.  Don't forget before he and Chip went off the rails he was averaging 16.5 fantasy points in PPR.  That's top 10 fantasy numbers.  Even after and absolute disaster of a season, he still finished in the top 20.  

I disagree with this.  He's most likely never seeing the volume of his last year in Dallas.  However I don't really see any reason why he can't put up something close to his second to last year in Dallas.   I think he's one of the best buys this offseason in dynasty.  Don't forget before he and Chip went off the rails he was averaging 16.5 fantasy points in PPR.  That's top 10 fantasy numbers.  Even after and absolute disaster of a season, he still finished in the top 20.  
This is one of the problems with PPR. If the passing volume is enough, it can prop up even the crappiest performances. Anyone who watched him knew it was a total **** show, but people like to hide behind those PPR numbers. So last year Bradford liked to check down to him a lot. So what? People buying him this year will need him to 1) be a better runner 2) get a ton of targets again 3) be playing PPR format.

As much of a mess as Philly may have seemed, the RB totals were very friendly: 411 RB carries, 15 TDs, 178 targets. By comparison, Tennessee had 320 carries, 7 TDs, and 101 targets. And they will be using the same offensive system as last year. I'm sure Murray will get a bigger piece of that smaller pie, but I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers this year look eerily similar to last year, making him pretty fairly valued where he's going now in redrafts (RB16 in PDSL1). He could easily outperform that ADP by a few spots, but he doesn't have the upside of the guys going just a few spots ahead of him.

I tend to think you are being a bit melodramatic.

Aren't the majority of leagues PPR?

This is one of the problems with PPR. If the passing volume is enough, it can prop up even the crappiest performances. Anyone who watched him knew it was a total **** show, but people like to hide behind those PPR numbers. So last year Bradford liked to check down to him a lot. So what? People buying him this year will need him to 1) be a better runner 2) get a ton of targets again 3) be playing PPR format.

As much of a mess as Philly may have seemed, the RB totals were very friendly: 411 RB carries, 15 TDs, 178 targets. By comparison, Tennessee had 320 carries, 7 TDs, and 101 targets. And they will be using the same offensive system as last year. I'm sure Murray will get a bigger piece of that smaller pie, but I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers this year look eerily similar to last year, making him pretty fairly valued where he's going now in redrafts (RB16 in PDSL1). He could easily outperform that ADP by a few spots, but he doesn't have the upside of the guys going just a few spots ahead of him.

I tend to think you are being a bit melodramatic.

Aren't the majority of leagues PPR?
And I "tend" to think you cherry picked a favorable stat created by a unique situation the player is no longer in, thus making it pointless for projecting him in 2016.

I know PPR is trendy around here, but I still think on the whole 0ppr and 0.5ppr make up the majority. I get why PPR was introduced back when there were a dozen 300 carry back and maybe a couple guys hit 100 rec, but now it is a gimmicky system that results in guys like Woodhead being RB1s. I play in a few PPR leagues every year, but they are kind of a joke to me.

And I "tend" to think you cherry picked a favorable stat created by a unique situation the player is no longer in, thus making it pointless for projecting him in 2016.

I know PPR is trendy around here, but I still think on the whole 0ppr and 0.5ppr make up the majority. I get why PPR was introduced back when there were a dozen 300 carry back and maybe a couple guys hit 100 rec, but now it is a gimmicky system that results in guys like Woodhead being RB1s. I play in a few PPR leagues every year, but they are kind of a joke to me.
Ok

Actually looking at Murray, his catches have been pretty consistent. He had more catches in Dallas than he did last year in Philly.  I think he probably catches 50 this year.  

Last edited by a moderator:
 My post was more based on the fact that i'm not a big Murray fan and even less of a Titans fan. I can't think of a single team I'd turn off to watch a Titans game. In all seriousness Murray should be able to at least put up RB 15 numbers, It's not like he will be fighting off tons of competition. Like some of the previous posters have mentioned it is def an upgrade for those of us who own Murray and Matthews. I'm just happy I only have them in one lg and prob won't have to start either.

I'm a little surprised by the pessimism in this thread. Murray is in a far better situation than he was in Philly, and is only a year removed from being the #1 player in FF. I don't think he'll get back to those heights, but I see no reason he won't be a high-end RB2, with upside. The Titans have an ok line, better than Philly had once Peters went down, and Mariota opens things up a lot more than Bradford did. Nobody is taking touches in Tennessee, this was pretty much as good a landing spot as possible short of returning to Dallas. I feel very comfortable making Murray a top-15 RB, depending where Elliott and Henry end up, possibly even top-10

Users who are viewing this thread