What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats will be punished in November by not increasing domestic Oil Production (1 Viewer)

Or maybe people should realize that oil prices are relatively volatile,  based on a world market, and the POTUS has little control over them.  If anyone has control over the price of oil it's Saudi Arabia because they have the most oil and they (and maybe Kuwait) are the low cost producers. It seems to me that SA likes to wait until the prices hit a high point after the high cost producers invest, then they'll increase production. This tends to then drive down the price of oil until the high cost producers have to close down. Then SA will cut production to drive the price up - then rinse/repeat. There's some question if SA has reached "peak oil" but I doubt anybody outside of SA  gets to see the current data.

One of the right wing talking points is if we had just allowed the Keystone pipeline everything would be solved. What's you're opinion on that?
It's way more complicated than Keystone.  I think Keystone should have been completed but it's not a cure all. 

There is definitely truth to what you said of the Saudi's and they do try to dissuade new capital expenditures by not slowing the pumping when the worldwide demand isn't high for oil.  Look back to the price war between them and Russia.  I don't think they would reduce production if we did ramp up domestically though due to the price today because who doesn't want to sell at these prices?  They have a better variable production cost than our domestic producers and of course it takes capital expenditures to start new operations or to activate old sites.  Every individual production site is different, some may have questionable economics, some may be worried about governmental issues.  Someone here other than me would be better at answering why those variable costs are so much better, but that's always been the economics that I've seen.  I did financial analysis for a mining company in my past and every site is always a little different as to variable production cost.

The thing is, there's a continuum along where these various production sites fall.  Some the economics don't work, obviously no fault of the administration.  There appears to be others that don't want to commit the capital due to fear of the administration's policies or actions.  I have no idea how many fall where along that line, but it's obvious there is some of both, and many shades of gray in between.  

So no, I don't believe the Biden Administration is at fault for all the price increase.  Other macro issues are at play as well as the elephant of Russia/Ukraine..  However, I also don't think he's done all he could to assure these producers that their investments would be free from peril from future government actions.  Any analyst at these companies is going to be discounting expected returns on projects right now for the unknown.  We know Biden isn't going to come out and suddenly be pro oil and gas, and given that there is a rational economic fear and discounting within those companies.  So for whatever piece of production is deterred from that, that is something the administration could help ease if they chose to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again I don’t understand this form of humor. So Nancy Pelosi is scheming for high gas prices? She’s happy about them? How is this funny? 
Higher energy prices are a benefit of the dems energy policy, not a bug.

I think she doesn't care if energy prices are high.    Except that it will cost her being speaker.   You want humor?   Trump being elected speaker of house and she hands him the gavel.    My goodness I'd laugh.

from your article

Biden campaigned on promises to combat climate change, accelerate renewable fuels and ban new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters. As president, he revoked a permit for the Keystone XL pipeline ............The administration has held just one auction of drilling rights in the Gulf of Mexico, which was subsequently invalidated by a federal court, and has yet to sell new oil and gas leases.............More than 3,800 were authorized onshore last year, according to a Public Citizen analysis of Bureau of Land Management data. That’s down from the 5,426 permits issued in 2020 ......... 

Biden and this administration is scrambling right now imo
Thanks for sharing, they should be held accountable for this. 

why?  its unfortunately a necessary limited non-renewable resource that is harmful to the environment and has caused global conflict and strife throughout history.   We should move past a reliance on it asap
More people have died for oil than any other resource.  Not to mention the environmental impact.  Just awful. 

More people have died for oil than any other resource.  Not to mention the environmental impact.  Just awful. 
Society's monumental leap forward in technology, health, quality of life, etc is directly related to our ability to utilize oil as a cheap means of energy and key ingredient in many of our products and materials today. Without oil, we're all still burning lumps of coal in a pot stove riding horses and dying at the ripe old age of 55 if we're lucky. 

The biggest environmental impact oil has had is that humans live longer now and generate more waste than before for that additional amount of time they're alive. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Society's monumental leap forward in technology, health, quality of life, etc is directly related to our ability to utilize oil as a cheap means of energy and key ingredient in many of our products and materials today. Without oil, we're all still burning lumps of coal in a pot stove riding horses and dying at the ripe old age of 55 if we're lucky. 

The biggest environmental impact oil has had is that humans live longer now and generate more waste than before for that additional amount of time they're alive. 
This reads like it came directly from one of my 1970''s grade school social studies book. 

Even more people are alive and living better lives because of oil by a factor of 1000x.   Absolutely  wonderful.    Just say thank you.

World population

1500.  #460mm

1600 #554mm

1700 #603mm

1800 #1b

1900 #1.7b

2021 #7.9b

why?  its unfortunately a necessary limited non-renewable resource that is harmful to the environment and has caused global conflict and strife throughout history.   We should move past a reliance on it asap

we will - maybe 75-100 years and when an alternative energy source is found

but until that happens - its important for people to get to work, buy food, have reasonable utility costs, keep our economy going etc etc and $8-10 a gallon gas isn't going to help any of that like $2-3 gas does

What policies are to blame...did he, in fact, end fossil fuel in just over a year (hint...he did not, in fact, far from it nor did he really try at this point).

• On his first day in office, Biden had the United States re-enter the Paris accord. He also cancelled the permit for the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.
  • campaigning that he'd shut down fossil fuels (you have to believe he had a plan to do that) and these actions are but the top of the iceberg - this was a CORE campaign promise he made to his voters.
  • Biden’s orders direct the secretary of the Interior Department to halt new oil and natural gas leases on public lands and waters, and begin a thorough review of existing permits for fossil fuel development.
  • The series of actions kick off the president’s agenda to reduce the country’s emissions and establish stricter targets under the Paris climate accord.
  •  Biden will direct the federal government to conserve 30% of federal lands and water by 2030 and find ways to double offshore wind production by that time.
  • Biden’s moratorium on oil and gas leases won’t end fossil fuel extraction since industry leaders currently hold undeveloped leases
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/biden-suspends-oil-and-gas-drilling-in-series-of.html

Stealthycat said:
  • On his first day in office, Biden had the United States re-enter the Paris accord. He also cancelled the permit for the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.
  • campaigning that he'd shut down fossil fuels (you have to believe he had a plan to do that) and these actions are but the top of the iceberg - this was a CORE campaign promise he made to his voters.
  • Biden’s orders direct the secretary of the Interior Department to halt new oil and natural gas leases on public lands and waters, and begin a thorough review of existing permits for fossil fuel development.
  • The series of actions kick off the president’s agenda to reduce the country’s emissions and establish stricter targets under the Paris climate accord.
  •  Biden will direct the federal government to conserve 30% of federal lands and water by 2030 and find ways to double offshore wind production by that time.
  • Biden’s moratorium on oil and gas leases won’t end fossil fuel extraction since industry leaders currently hold undeveloped leases
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/biden-suspends-oil-and-gas-drilling-in-series-of.html
Yet…we are poised for record US Oil Production by 2023.   Interesting.

quick-hands said:
Even more people are alive and living better lives because of oil by a factor of 1000x.   Absolutely  wonderful.    Just say thank you.

World population

1500.  #460mm

1600 #554mm

1700 #603mm

1800 #1b

1900 #1.7b

2021 #7.9b
So if more people are alive, more people have died.  See how weird statistics can be.  

We can follow the money on these green companies and their political donations also.  Like Janes Addiction said - Nothing Shocking.

Im curious if the left will get outraged at the windfall energy companies will make if they r go to electric cars?

I am curious how many of our elected officials who pimp electric cars actually own one.  
Not sure...one of my favorite recent attempted slams was Doocy trying to ask if Biden drove an electric car.  Of course it was an awful question as no POTUS really drives...and for most of his time in government he rode the train in...

Id guess some that do have residences there do take a train in...just easier.  But yeah, they probably use as much gas as anyone between campaign events flying and driving around.

She did...she pretty much took Doocy to school on suggesting that about Biden.  It was a bad gotcha attempt there by him.  I don't expect "RNC Research" would agree though.  As I said above...it was well known he took the train in to work for years in Washington.  Which, you know, mass transit a big push to go electric where it already isn't (and part of what Buttigieg's speech the other day was about...not just simply saying people should buy EV as some have claimed).

She did...she pretty much took Doocy to school on suggesting that about Biden.  It was a bad gotcha attempt there by him.  I don't expect "RNC Research" would agree though.  As I said above...it was well known he took the train in to work for years in Washington.  Which, you know, mass transit a big push to go electric where it already isn't (and part of what Buttigieg's speech the other day was about...not just simply saying people should buy EV as some have claimed).

If the POTUS was driving a car powered by fetuses I wouldn't care.  Also don't care if they are eating scallops and lobster over corndogs.  It's a perk of the job.  Most of these folks outside of Pelosi and Burr would make much more in private industry.

Smart answer would have been No!, The president isn't cutting in line in front of hundreds of thousands waiting in line for an EV.

So it’s ok for Biden to drive his sportscar around (great).  When asked about electric, she responds that he doesn’t do a lot of driving.  I’ll take that as he doesn’t own one.  My goal is for all of the D’s to buy electric so I don’t have to wait at the pump.

So it’s ok for Biden to drive his sportscar around (great).  When asked about electric, she responds that he doesn’t do a lot of driving.  I’ll take that as he doesn’t own one.  My goal is for all of the D’s to buy electric so I don’t have to wait at the pump.

Seriously.  I mean, he can pick up a Leaf for like 10k. 

Yeah...its ok for him to have a sports car for recreation...why wouldn't it be?  Has he told people they should only drive EV all the time?  I don't think so.

I think she was being snarky right back to Doocy as no POTUS drives around once elected.  They are driven everywhere...and yeah, they use a lot of fuel that way too with all the vehicles (none of them fuel efficient I would not think with as much armor is on them).

His record on using mass transit is pretty solid...it was a weak gotcha attempt that could have been swatted away even better than she did.

So lead by example.   Show people how to live without oil.   

I'm sure you already are.
If this is the standard we want it extends far far beyond EV’s.  In fact I’d put that low on the list of things I’d like then to walk the talk on.  

Users who are viewing this thread