What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Wolfe celebrates new contract with nightclub brawl (1 Viewer)

massraider

Footballguy
Video shows Broncos lineman Derek Wolfe uncorking a big punch during night club brawl

Broncos' Derek Wolfe -- Takes Shot to the Dome in New Video of Nightclub Fight (VIDEO)

Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe is the star subject of a TMZ video released early Tuesday morning of a bar fight occurring this weekend at a nightclub in downtown Denver involving Wolfe and at least one other person.

In the video, Wolfe is seen in a black shirt and chain pushing his way through a crowd of people and arguing with a couple of club patrons. He eventually throws a punch with his right hand toward one of them. TMZ reported that Wolfe was hit with a bottle that left him bleeding.

Denver Police said the incident was never reported and they will not have a case against Wolfe unless someone files a complaint or new evidence is presented.

“Derek talked to us on Monday about the issue, and it’s been addressed internally,” Broncos vice president of public relations Patrick Smyth said.

According to TMZ, the incident occurred Saturday night at VIE Nightclub off 14th and Larimer Street.

“We take a look at any such incident,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said about whether Wolfe would face any additional punishment under the NFL’s personal conduct policy. “But it doesn’t appear on its face to be something that would lead to league discipline.”

Wolfe, who signed a four-year, $36.7 million dollar contract in January, was suspended for the first four games of the 2015 season for violating the NFL’s performance enhancing drug policy. Wolfe had an extremely strong end to the season notching at least a half-sack (six total) in each of the Broncos’ final seven games including the postseason.

Wolfe’s agent, Andrew Kessler, could not be reached for comment.
I hope we can someday get this thug element out of the league.

massraider said:
I hope we can someday get this thug element out of the league.

I also too would like to see the day that all this is eliminated.

The fact is, we just aren't going to live long enough to ever see this happen.

The way society is today, and how it tends to glamorize how young people look at things with their carefree attitude its not going to be happening any time soon in my opinion. (and I'm younger than many here)

Check out all the press conferences when the players get "####ty" with the media. That never happened years ago. (or very damn rarely) Current athletes bringing their kids up to the podium along beside them. Its all about a "ME ME ME" society and its getting worse. "Hey, I have enough money to make my pitiful and bad,immature behavior go away". (or mostly)

I have written about this in depth at other boards.

I consider myself fortunate enough to be  "young enough" at 45 to try and see both sides of the coin, but the fact is it is likely only going to get worse.

I think the only thing we can hope for short term, is sort of a "PGA TOUR type umbrella" where the majority of incidents and punishments are handed down and generally covered up for the most part.

But even thinking and hoping for that, its just fooling ourselves.

The fact is.....the NFL has a fair bit of the thug mentality, along with the NBA as well. AND trust me, its not a black or white issue either, regardless of what someone may want to post here and argue. It spills over into all races and players.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
 Check out all the press conferences when the players get "####ty" with the media. That never happened years ago. (or very damn rarely) Current athletes bringing their kids up to the podium along beside them. Its all about a "ME ME ME" society and its getting worse. "Hey, I have enough money to make my pitiful and bad,immature behavior go away". (or mostly)
Years ago, players could go out, and not have a camera phone trained on them all the time as well.  Let's try and maintain some perspective here.  From a media standpoint, coverage standpoint, players back in the day had it a LOT easier than players today.  

They make a ton of money, this in't about sympathy, it's simply pointing out that it is not an apples to apples comparison.  Players 20 years ago were pricks as well.  

Years ago, players could go out, and not have a camera phone trained on them all the time as well.  Let's try and maintain some perspective here.  From a media standpoint, coverage standpoint, players back in the day had it a LOT easier than players today.  

They make a ton of money, this in't about sympathy, it's simply pointing out that it is not an apples to apples comparison.  Players 20 years ago were pricks as well.  

Of course they were.

Players were nasty, poor sports, and "dirty players" back to the days of Ty Cobb playing baseball (sliding with his spikes high etc. ) and long before that.

My stance is players were "generally" not only brought up better, but the leagues they played for seemed to have less tolerance for the "bull####" than they do today.

Years ago, players were expected to not only "cut their hair short, and act like they got some sense", but they were expected to carry themselves more professionally as well. You know, try and set a good example for others.

Now, that aside, I don't expect things today to be like that, but it should be CLOSER to that than what it currently is.

I just think its part of the way the world has become. The world is now more "tolerant" of many things, and poor behavior is one of those.

It all goes back to that "ME ME ME" way that most look at things. No ONE player is bigger than baseball, no ONE player is bigger than football, and no ONE player should be bigger than any sport.

I think its really a slow process and its just the way things have "evolved" in a sense,  (larger contracts, much more exposure/overexposure) combined with the way the world is now.

I'm reminded of Martellus Bennet, and his reaction to a preseason practice altercation last year. (I think it was last year)

The press made a big deal of him tackling someone or "playing hard" vs. someone in practice, and I think the team either did or was threatening to fine him.

I remember part of his response was "I CAN AFFORD IT" .  I am not downing the guy, in fact I loved his response, but years ago that would have never happened. Similar incidents are commonplace today.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think its ever going to be a league where there are no thugs. I do think part of that blame should go to the NFL itself too by not handling certain things appropriately.

You see or hear very little about the PGA's problems. (thats not a great comparison, since the PGA is almost as secretive as the NSA LOL)

You don't hear about as many issues from MLB comparatively.

I don't follow the NBA, but from the very little I know about it, its close to the thug level of the NFL, possibly worse.

So I think a good part of this falls directly on the shoulders of the NFL and how its handled its "problem children".

TZM

Youd be throwing punches also after seeing what teammate malik jackson got as a free agent, while your gm got you to sign a deal for 54 million less.

Youd be throwing punches also after seeing what teammate malik jackson got as a free agent, while your gm got you to sign a deal for 54 million less.
:yes:

Good point, we lucky he didn't yank his gat, and start popping caps.  

Yes, there’s a video that shows Broncos defensive lineman Derek Wolfe throwing a punch. No, it appears that not anything will come of it.

The NFL will investigate, but it seems unlikely the NFL will discipline Wolfe.

“We take a look at any such incident,” NFL Brian McCarthy told the Denver Post on Tuesday. “But it doesn’t appear on its face to be something that would lead to league discipline.”

The Broncos likely won’t be doing anything.

“Derek talked to us on Monday about the issue and it’s been addressed internally,” the team said in a statement issued Tuesday morning.

So it appears that this one will disappear, especially since there was no arrest and no charges for Wolfe. More importantly, the video is inconclusive at best regarding whether the punch connected or did any damage.

In my other life, years ago, I hung out with meatheads like this guy.  Always had to be wary when hangin' out cuz you never knew when they would pull some stupid sheet like this stuff.  Drunk, bulky, and too dumb to realize the tough guy act is for immature brats.  Dude needs to grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread