What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (3 Viewers)

I'll @ some people from other music drafts on Monday and am looking to start on Tuesday.

It looks like previous decade DID drafts were 20 rounds. 

Desert Island booked
Rockaction
Northern Voice
ilov80s
KarmaPolice
The Dreaded Marco
Dr. Octopus
simey
El Floppo
Steve Tasker
Eephus

Thread dabblers
urbanhack
wikkidpissah
Man of Constant Sorrow

I think that puts us at lucky thirteen.  Others can jump in whenever.

Draft order procedure commencing...

Rolling 14 d100 and assigning one each to the following drafters

Rockaction
Northern Voice
ilov80s
KarmaPolice
The Dreaded Marco
Dr. Octopus
simey
El Floppo
Steve Tasker
mphtrilogy
Abrantes
landrys hat
Eephus
D_House   

HIGHEST roll goes first

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls.

14d100, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 70, 25, 33, 62, 15, 94, 98, 73, 63, 28, 88, 68, 13, 3
Roll subtotal: 733
Roll total: 733

98    …    simey
94    …    Dr. Octopus
88    …    Abrantes
73    …    El Floppo
70    …    Rockaction
68    …    landrys hat
63    …    Steve Tasker
62    …    KarmaPolice
33    …    ilov80s
25    …    Northern Voice
23    …    mphtrilogy
15    …    The Dreaded Marco
13    …    Eephus
3    …    D_House

1.01 -  Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - Sturgill Simpson  2014

Living the Dream

The title of this album is a play off of Ray Charles' The Modern Sounds of Country and Western Music. When I first heard this album it was like a breath of fresh air for the country music genre. I grew up hearing country music of the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, because my parents played it a lot. I didn't buy any country music back then, because it wasn't my thing, but I couldn't get away from it since it was played in our house. I never hated it, and I grew to like and appreciate it. That country music isn't played anymore on regular country radio. I hear country radio sometimes if I'm riding in my mom's car with her, and it all sounds like pop twang. When I heard this album it was like hearing country of the past with some rocking psychedelia infused in it. The guitar playing is great on this album, as is Sturgill's writing, and he has a strong voice that could mistake him as an offspring of Waylon Jennings.  This album was a nice surprise of the past decade. He is also great live.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - Sturgill Simpson  2014

Living the Dream

The title of this album is a play off of Ray Charles' The Modern Sounds of Country and Western Music. When I first heard this album it was like a breath of fresh air for the country music genre. I grew up hearing country music of the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, because my parents played it a lot. I didn't buy any country music back then, because it wasn't my thing, but I couldn't get away from it since it was played in our house. I never hated it, and I grew to like and appreciate it. That country music isn't played anymore on regular country radio. I hear country radio sometimes if I'm riding in my mom's car with her, and it all sounds like pop twang. When I heard this album it was like hearing country of the past with some rocking psychedelia infused in it. The guitar playing is great on this album, as is Sturgill's writing, and he has a strong voice that could mistake him as an offspring of Waylon Jennings.  This album was a nice surprise of the past decade. He is also great live.
Waylon hisself liked it :thumbup:

Living the Dream

Didn't have time to get in on this one, but this would've been my 1.01.  Nice, simey.  :thumbup:

Living the Dream

Sturgill Simpson was my 5th most listened to artists in 2019 per Spotify, despite only having 3 total albums - so obviously this one was on my radar.

I’ll post my pick in a couple or hours.

A "country" run...

Album: Southeastern

Artist: Jason Isbell

Release Year: 2013 

Cover Me Up

Elephant

Traveling Alone

For me, Isbell is the best songwriter of the decade. His lyrics paint a story that actually draws you into the narrator's life. They're incredibly descriptive yet maintain an air of ambiguity. This record is my favorite of the decade and I could listen to it everyday without getting board while on my desert island (luckily I have unlimited music in real life). The songs are mostly somber, and a bit depressing from a storytelling perspective yet they do not bring me down in fact they affect me quite oppositely - I feel inspired to face whatever obstacles are out there.

2 country albums? Who would have thunk it!
I've found myself listening to a lot of "country" recently but like Simey said not the radio-friendly country twangy pop stuff. I guess its more along the lines of "Americana" or even "Alt-Country" that I'm drawn to. When I listen to Isbell I don't think of spurs, boots and cowboy hats, although he certainly has his roots in the genre.

I've found myself listening to a lot of "country" recently but like Simey said not the radio-friendly country twangy pop stuff. I guess its more along the lines of "Americana" or even "Alt-Country" that I'm drawn to. When I listen to Isbell I don't think of spurs, boots and cowboy hats, although he certainly has his roots in the genre.
Yeah I really like Isbell and he puts on a great show. Its just a bit surprising given how the albums that I usually see hit the top spots on our yearly countdowns rarely ever into this lane.

Yeah I really like Isbell and he puts on a great show. Its just a bit surprising given how the albums that I usually see hit the top spots on our yearly countdowns rarely ever into this lane.
I think it was also a confluence of who had the top two slots in this draft to some extent as well.

Users who are viewing this thread