What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (1 Viewer)

whoknew said:
Jake Rogers is having a heck of a year. He's a potential very good ML catcher.

And, of course, Daz. 

But yea, that's about it. Maybe Paredes.
Rogers is considered the best defensive catcher in all the minors. He walks a lot and has good power. 

Derek Hill is one of the best defensive outfielders in the minors. His career so far has been injury-plagued,  but he’s starting to come around. He doesn’t walk at all though, which is scary. He’s already a better version of JaCoby Jones though. 

Why in the ever loving ####! would they do that!!
Eat innings. Depth chart has thinned out due to injury, so sign Colon instead of rushing prospects in a lost season and minimize potential for more injury to others. Not many innings of experience om those that remain. 

Eat innings. Depth chart has thinned out due to injury, so sign Colon instead of rushing prospects in a lost season and minimize potential for more injury to others. Not many innings of experience om those that remain. 
Would have gotten me down to the ballpark

In case you found yourself wondering last night, the record for most Grand Slams, Both Teams, Single Game is 3, and it’s happened four times. The NYY are the only single team to hit 3 in one game (v As, 2011.)

In case you found yourself wondering last night, the record for most Grand Slams, Both Teams, Single Game is 3, and it’s happened four times. The NYY are the only single team to hit 3 in one game (v As, 2011.)
I just remembered this individual event per wiki, "Jim Northrup on June 24, 1968 hit grand slams on consecutive pitches in consecutive at bats in the 5th and 6th innings".

I just remembered this individual event per wiki, "Jim Northrup on June 24, 1968 hit grand slams on consecutive pitches in consecutive at bats in the 5th and 6th innings".
He hit another one five days later, the only player to hit three grand slams in a week. Had five grand slams on the season, and hit one in the Game 6 13-1 blowout (McClain’s only win of the series, on 2 days rest.)

1967-72 run will probably always be my favorite Tigers teams. Lolich had a cottage not far from us, was in the same snowmobile club, and my older sister babysat his three daughters. I have so much fondness for the entire roster. Quite different in the post-Denny, Billy Martin era but still well balanced teams that could hit, pitch and field.

I’m still not grading Avila as a GM because of the financial restrictions, but I am having a hard time understanding why they let Iglesias go. Was it a personality thing? 

McCann also playing well. Funny how Detroit hitters are always better once they leave. :firelloyd: 

Been saying fire Lloyd since 2008. This is ####### ridiculous imo. 
RIGHT!  Before he even has a chance to screw up Riley Greene!  My daughter watched the kid take BP yesterday and said his swing is a thing of beauty.  Several effortless dingers, including hitting the Pepsi Porch.  Eons until he will see the majors, but should be a fun one to watch!

Got to use our corporate suite tickets today but no customers so food and parking on my dime

in hindsight not sure this was worth it

This Soto kid looks really good. 98mph and a good hook. Definitely a guy who could be a bullpen asset going forward, especially if he can develop a change or a cutter. 

The scuttlebutt has the Cubs kicking the tires on Nick Castellanos. The thought is to have him get some time out in RF with Heyward shifting to CF, also get him in LF when they face a tough LH (and Schwarber sits). 

Just talk so far, but supposedly he is on Theo/Jed's radar. 

6 losses in a row. Tigers have the worst record in baseball.

They need to go 15-53 the rest of the way to beat their 2003 record.

Last edited by a moderator:
He certainly sounds enthusiastic.

To be honest, I'm really not anxious about it because I am at the point where I don't really care what happens," he said. "Why care? I can't control it. Why care if my hair is going to turn gray one day? I can't control it."

He certainly sounds enthusiastic.
Don't blame him. There's probably at least some prisoner of the moment to it, but I don't remember any season as unenthusiastic as this one. Even when the pitching is attention grabbing there isn't enough offense to go with it and you're just waiting for the pen to blow it. 

Avila better get the top 3 traded this week. He's starting to make me nervous.
I am hoping he can bundle them somehow and get a better prospect than shipping them out in individual trades. 

He better get a lot for Boyd if they are going to give him up since he is under contract a few more years.  Plus,  he is pitching well, and is a good character guy for the clubhouse for when the younger pitchers start arriving from Erie in like two years.

Greene and Nick need to go and, as I said, if there is a way to package them together that would be great.  I don't think the market will be that strong for Nick although it does help that he has played better as of late.  If no one is willing to give anything decent for Nick then at least we still have the ability to make a qualifying offer for the compensatory pick - although I would rather have the prospect now.

The MLB team plays with no fire.  No leadership and Gardenhire isn't kicking them in the behind like Leyland could do if he felt they needed it.  The Whitecaps just fired their hitting coach because the young hitting prospects like Meadows, Perez, and Quintana have all struggled.  The Tigers should consider doing the same with Lloyd even though I know that won't happen. 

I am hoping he can bundle them somehow and get a better prospect than shipping them out in individual trades. 

He better get a lot for Boyd if they are going to give him up since he is under contract a few more years.  Plus,  he is pitching well, and is a good character guy for the clubhouse for when the younger pitchers start arriving from Erie in like two years.

Greene and Nick need to go and, as I said, if there is a way to package them together that would be great.  I don't think the market will be that strong for Nick although it does help that he has played better as of late.  If no one is willing to give anything decent for Nick then at least we still have the ability to make a qualifying offer for the compensatory pick - although I would rather have the prospect now.

The MLB team plays with no fire.  No leadership and Gardenhire isn't kicking them in the behind like Leyland could do if he felt they needed it.  The Whitecaps just fired their hitting coach because the young hitting prospects like Meadows, Perez, and Quintana have all struggled.  The Tigers should consider doing the same with Lloyd even though I know that won't happen. 

I disagree somewhat on Boyd in that I think this is probably his career year. So they should definitely sell high.

But I like your idea of packaging players.

I was listening to a podcast over the weekend and they made the point that its almost inexplicable that the Tigers' farm system isn't better considering all the high end talent they have traded over the last few years. Its still only a middle of the pack system.

Gardy looks and sounds like a beaten man.  Not sure he is the kind of manager for this type of team.  Gardy had success in Minny with gritty players and a roster that at least had some talent.  This team might set the MLB record for most losses in a season.  Tigers had Niko Goodrum batting cleanup many times this season if that tells you something about the talent level.  Niko would be a utility player at best on a 500 team.

I disagree somewhat on Boyd in that I think this is probably his career year. So they should definitely sell high.

I was listening to a podcast over the weekend and they made the point that its almost inexplicable that the Tigers' farm system isn't better considering all the high end talent they have traded over the last few years. Its still only a middle of the pack system.
They traded high end talent but did not get high end prospects in return.  

You may be right on Boyd.  Tigers missed the window on selling high with Fulmer so maybe they do trade him.  I just don't want Avila to give him away given that we have the club control.  I just don't have the faith that will happen.  If they do get rid of Greene, Boyd and Nick they are really going to give the 2003 team a run for its money for most losses in a season. 

You may be right on Boyd.  Tigers missed the window on selling high with Fulmer so maybe they do trade him.  I just don't want Avila to give him away given that we have the club control.  I just don't have the faith that will happen.  If they do get rid of Greene, Boyd and Nick they are really going to give the 2003 team a run for its money for most losses in a season. 

I think with or without those guys, they are going to test/beat that record. I looked this up yesterday - on May 12, the Tigers were 18-20. Since then, they are 12-51. Just ugly.

If those three are traded, they will be awful.

They traded high end talent but did not get high end prospects in return.  

I can't believe they gave Avila an extension 18 months before his contract was even up. Ugh. 

I'm pretty down on the future of the team. They have a couple of good pitchers at AA, but beyond that, where is the hope for the future?

Also - what are they waiting for on Jake Rogers? There's no way he'd be worse than what they are rolling out there behind the plate now.

Users who are viewing this thread