What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (2 Viewers)

Lewis is shifty, he has excellent vision and balance. He struggled at times at Pitt, but his freshman year at Pitt, Lewis was unstoppable...he was as impressive as any freshman RB I can recall. He doesn't have speed or size, but he gets results. Lewis is similar to Rice and Westbrook. Ronnie Hillman is also comprable in skill set and collegiate performance.
I watched a lot of Hillman in 2011, but didn't get a chance to watch him a lot last year, but from what I saw in 2011, that is a very good comparison. Hillman and Lewis are not the biggest backs, but they are effective running between the tackles like Rice.

so Dion & his brother pull the fire alarm to get back into a locked hotel in the wee hours. I don't think the knuckleheads thought that plan out.

Such dumb*******
Typical Pitt guy.
We all can't be Carnegie Mellon like you Nip Man
Pitt has highest mullet/mustache percentage of any student body/alumni in the country. It's not even close. Something like 42% of all males who attended.
WVU can't be far behind! That's why I love going to the "backyard brawl" in Morgantown when I can!! Eat $#!# PITT!!!
:goodposting: WVU second at 33%.

Lewis is allegedly on the trade block.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/report-eagles-willing-to-deal-dion-lewis/

That news was enough to convince me to grab him off waivers in a few leagues.

Always been a fan of his game. He never got much of a chance in Philly behind McCoy and now Brown, but must have shown something to make the roster for two years. I doubt he'll do anything, but you never know. A trade to Green Bay, Indy, or Pittsburgh could at least give him a pulse. If nothing happens, you can cut him without much worry.

He's actually younger than some of the RBs in this draft, like Johnathan Franklin.

Well, that's interesting. I don't quite see how he fits into Cleveland's plans. He has third down potential, but Trent is already a very good pass catcher.

Maybe they want him to compete with Hardesty for the backup role.

Had picked him up in hopes he'd be traded somewhere that presented some upside. Behind Richardson in Cleveland is not such an opportunity, so back to the waiver wire he goes.

Well, that's interesting. I don't quite see how he fits into Cleveland's plans. He has third down potential, but Trent is already a very good pass catcher. Maybe they want him to compete with Hardesty for the backup role.
Yeah, I'd say it's because Hardesty pretty much sucks, plus the injuries.

As a TRich owner in 2 leagues, seems worth it to grab Lewis off the waiver wire just in case. I never felt the need to own Hardesty though since he was either hurt or performing poorly. Maybe Lewis can be handcuff-worthy if he shows something in the pre-season.

As a TRich owner in 2 leagues, seems worth it to grab Lewis off the waiver wire just in case. I never felt the need to own Hardesty though since he was either hurt or performing poorly. Maybe Lewis can be handcuff-worthy if he shows something in the pre-season.
That's what I'm thinking.

T-Rich runs angry, with authority, and isn't afraid of initiating violent contact with opposing defenders, so grabbing his immediate handcuff is a smart strategy. I will be watching this backfield with significant interest in the preseason.

Couple things...

1) Terms of Ogbonnaya's two year contract has not been disclosed. He was a RFA, but was retained early in the offseason. Without knowing the figures, one cannot even guess as to whether it keeps him on the team or not. He wouldn't be the first guy to be cut after a two-year extension. Lewis was not on the roster at this point and the NFL draft has not even happened yet.

2) Lewis' presence does not mean that he and Hardesty are competing for the same spot. Lewis is not an every down back, has return skills and is a smallish back.

The depth chart could easily be Richardson, Hardesty and Lewis. Lewis duplicates nearly everything that Ogbonnaya can bring to the table and more but neither he nor Ogbonnaya project well as a back to handle the ball in the event of a Richardson injury.

They could also keep four RBs, though less likely. Situation to watch going forward, but it does not appear clear yet who will be the 2-3 RBs behind Richardson.

I have held onto Lewis from the time I drafted him. I have been considering dropping him this offseason after the rookie draft when the league cuts rosters down. I had hoped the rumors would come true that he would be traded, but I must say I am disappointed he was traded to the Browns. I am also an owner of Trent Richardson, so now I have his potential handcuff. But until Richardson proves to be injury prone and requires handcuffing, I wouldn't hold onto his backup. So I will probably drop Lewis when my league does its mandatory roster cutdown.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=18611

The leg muscle injury to Trent Richardson two weeks ago caused the Browns to add two running backs to their roster. But one who previously slid in under radar in April may be the new back to watch this year.

Dion Lewis Photo/AP

Dion Lewis was acquired in a quiet trade with the Philadelphia Eagles on April 11. The Browns sent the Eagles second-year linebacker Emmanuel Acho in the straight-up swap.

It was a trade of convenience. Both players had advocates on the other team.

Achos position coach with the Browns, Billy Davis, is now Eagles defensive coordinator. Lewis was a fifth-round draft choice of the Eagles in 2011 when current Browns CEO Joe Banner was that teams president.

Also, when Lewis was breaking rushing records at University of Pittsburgh held by Tony Dorsett and LeSean McCoy, Browns receivers coach Scott Turner held the same position with Pitt.

So theres a lot of relationships here, Lewis said.

Lewis diminutive size 5-8 and 195 pounds typecasts him as a role player in the NFL. But at Pitt, he was an ironman feature back for two seasons. He broke Craig Ironhead Heywards record for rushes in a game, carrying 47 times for 194 yards and three TDs in the 2009 Big East championship game. His 1,799 yards that year broke Dorsetts freshman rushing record and his 108 points on 18 touchdowns broke McCoys freshman scoring record.

In two seasons with the Eagles, Lewis played sparingly as a backup running back, rushing 36 times for 171 yards. He led the Eagles as a rookie in 2011 with a 21.6-yard average.

In OTAs, Lewis has gotten reps with the second and third teams at running back. He is behind Richardson, Montario Hardesty and Chris Ogbonnaya on the unofficial depth chart. Lewis has been in the rotation at kickoff returner in OTAs with receiver Travis Benjamin and safety Johnson Bademosi.

Its going well, Lewis said of the OTA season. Im learning a lot every day. Ive just got to keep getting better every day. I feel Im doing an OK job, but theres always room for improvement.

Lewis is not going to bowl over tacklers or get the call on short yardage. Hes a potential playmaker when given the ball in space.

I can make people miss. Thats what I do, he said. Just doing whatever the coach needs me to do, but I feel when I get the ball, I can make people miss and I can use my size to my advantage.

In the Browns offensive scheme, the running back is always a potential receiver. Lewis didnt receive much opportunity in Philadelphia to prove himself as a pass catcher, but he is getting it here.

Dion has done a nice job, said coach Rob Chudzinski. He had a couple nice runs out here. He has shown some quickness, can catch the ball and has some skills. Ive liked what Ive seen (of his pass catching).

http://www.cleveland.com/sportsnetwork/index.ssf/2013/07/dion_lewis_stealing_the_show_j.html

logo_cleve_print.gif

Dion Lewis stealing the show, Joe Haden becoming a leader and possbile cuts: Browns Blog RoundupGlenn Moore, cleveland.com By Glenn Moore, cleveland.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM, updated July 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Here are what blogs from Cleveland and around the country are saying about the Browns.
blank.gif
Dion Lewis has been a pleasant surprise at training camp so far. (John ####z / The Plain Dealer)
Cleveland Browns Bob Evans over at Buckeye State Sports says Dion Lewis is stealing the show during training camp and could be used a lot during the season.
"Lewis wowed the crowd on Sunday in Berea when he took a swing pass out of the backfield and juked defensive back Kenronte Walker out of his shoes for a touchdown. With Hardesty nursing an injury on Sunday, Lewis certainly made the most of the extra reps—including even receiving a few with the first team. The work of the former collegiate standout at Pitt has not gone unnoticed, as head coach Rob Chudzinkski stated, “Lewis has had a good couple of days,” in the press conference after practice. While it may be extremely early, the fact Lewis was drafted by Joe Banner in Philadelphia and is already receiving second and first-team reps should not go unnoticed by fans. Outside of Richardson, Lewis and Hardesty, the Browns also re-signed Chris Ogbonnaya and Brandon Jackson, and brought in Miguel Maysonet—a record setting back in college at Stony Brook—this offseason. With so many backs in play, it is quite intriguing that Lewis is the one making the most of this opportunity."
blank.gif
Could Brandon Jackson be one of the few veteran roster cuts? (AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)
Travis Wakeman at Bleacher Report says Brandon Jackson could be one of a few veteran roster cuts.
"Brandon Jackson ran for 1,329 yards and seven touchdowns as a member of the Green Bay Packers. He was a very explosive player for them when they rotated him into games. In two seasons for the Browns, Jackson has done almost nothing. Though the competition to be the backup to Trent Richardson is wide open, Jackson may be the odd man out. Jackson will battle Montario Hardesty, Dion Lewis, Chris Ogbonnaya and Miguel Maysonet for what will probably be three spots at the running back position behind Richardson. Jackson will have to play more like he did in Green Bay than he has in Cleveland if he wants to secure one of them."
blank.gif
Can Joe Haden lead the young secondary? (Joshua Gunter/ The Plain Dealer)
Daryl Ruiter at 92.3 The Fan writes about how Joe Haden is quickly becoming a leader on and off the field.
"Aside from winning, Haden’s personal goal is to become an elite corner, one of the best in the game. “Elite cornerback is a top 5 cornerback in the league,” Haden said. “Just one of those dudes that you can [count on]. There’s not too many people that can use the word elite, and I want to be one of the 5 that can use it.” A year ago, Haden was awaiting the final verdict on his suspension following a failed drug test. He would eventually be suspended 4 games for the unapproved used of Adderall stemming from a fun night in Las Vegas during the offseason. The Browns lost all 4 games that he was suspended from and the losing streak derailed the season. “It was a humbling thing,” Haden said. “I don’t like to talk about it. It was one of the lowest points. It was a low point in my life, and now everything is just on the up and up. Things are going really good for me."
Have a post that you think should be featured in our daily Blog Roundup? Email the link here. You can also follow Glenn on Twitter.

© 2013 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

Dion Lewis is always going to make defenders look bad. The guys change of direction ability is just filthy. (I'll refrain from name dropping)

Not going to be good for his career if he's beat out by Hardesty & the other cast of characters.

Not a big fan of Hardesty, Oggbonaya, Brandon Jackson. In partial duty each might post okay stats, but I see Dion Lewis as the only Richardson handcuff with a chance to hit RB2 numbers if the incumbent goes down.

Btw, Lewis has not been too bad in the past - 4.7 ypc NFL average, 5.3 ypc average at Pittsburgh.

I loved Lewis going into last season. So much so that I didn't even consider taking Bryce Brown (I am a McCoy owner). That burned me pretty bad last year, but now I find myself falling for the same thing again. How's the saying go, fool me once... Well it looks like I'm about to get fooled again. Sign me up for the bandwagon!

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss says Dion Lewis "should not be overlooked" in the Patriots' competition for a passing-down back.

Lewis is competing with a lengthy cast of characters for the "Vereen role," including Travaris Cadet and James White, and perhaps Brandon Bolden and Tyler Gaffney. An injury-riddled 2011 fifth-round pick, Lewis has always been an intriguing scatback prospect. We've seen some folks assume this role will go to Cadet, but the battle will be determined in training camp.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter
Jun 4 - 1:17 PM

He's still pretty young:

Code:
Player	                Pos	Height	Weight	DOB 	   AgeJames White	        RB	5'10'	205	2/3/1992   23Tyler Gaffney	        RB	6'0'	220	4/20/1991  24Dion Lewis	        RB	5'8'	195	9/27/1990  24Jonas Gray	        RB	5'10'	225	6/27/1990  24Brandon Bolden	        RB	5'11' 	220	1/26/1990  25Travaris Cadet	        RB	6'1'   	210	2/01/1989  26LeGarrette Blount	RB	6'0'	250	12/5/1986  28

Dion Lewis looks like a nice pickup for blokes in PPR. He sure was fun to watch at Pitt.

@MikeClayNFL

Just now on @SiriusXMFantasy - @E_Scal told me that Dion Lewis has won the Patriots passing-down RB job. Must-own in PPR.

@MikeClayNFLNew Dion Lewis projection: 56-220-2, 45-364-2 - Top 50 RB in standard, ~Top 40 in PPR. Go get em.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do we expect from the passing down RB on a weekly basis
:shrug:

Historically fairly useful in larger PPR leagues. At a glance, balancing out the various Vereens, Woodheads, K. Faulks, etc., they seem to have a fighting chance at anywhere from 500-1000 YFS and a handful of scores. It ain't a ton, but it can be useful in some situations.

I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.

I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.

I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.
this is like drafting six RBs in a row bc someone will have to trade with me. Yet, it doesnt always work out. Hope it does for you though

I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.

I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.
Perceived value is in fact the problem here. Whether or not Lewis actually ends up holding any value is going to be irrelevant in the eyes of people who won't own a part of BB's backfield under any circumstance. I think Lewis may end up being good depth for teams in PPR but looking towards him as trade bait is incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread