What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney+ Info, shows and Movies (2 Viewers)

I will say this - I went ahead and bought a year - but now we have Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Amazon Prime...I don't think we are saving much money from cutting cable...
I do DirecTV plus all those. I like entertainment.

Might go add HBO Max when it comes out too instead of get it from DirecTV.

Ended up just ordering Disney for $70/year.  May end up backing out of ESPN+ anyway - and we have the cheap Hulu already - so the combined was less than the bundle.

One pleasant surprise for me - the app was available for download on my Samsung Smart Tv - a lot of places on-line said it would not be available.  But - its all set up - looks great.
I thought I was reading that a lot of last minute deals were getting done.  Sounds like the two sides were playing chicken to see who blinked first.  As we got a day out from Go Live day, I'm guessing Disney started to give in to a lot of demands to make sure their product was available to everyone.

I am guessing the non-IT folks at Disney are sitting back and smiling a lot today.

The IT folks are scrambling like mad to keep everything up - but I am going to guess this will be a big day for Disney.

I am guessing the non-IT folks at Disney are sitting back and smiling a lot today.

The IT folks are scrambling like mad to keep everything up - but I am going to guess this will be a big day for Disney.
I think we are in the winter of Netflix.  Kind of sad since they started this whole thing, but I don't think they'll survive.  They just don't have the content to win this war.  I imagine someone will buy them or the rights to their original content and that'll be the end of them.  

Just got home and watched the first episode of Madalorian. Was awesome. But still only have one episode available. Checked online and apparently that’s all your supposed to have. Second episode premieres in a couple days. 

So if you have multiple episodes, I’d suggest watching them now. 

I will say this - I went ahead and bought a year - but now we have Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Amazon Prime...I don't think we are saving much money from cutting cable...
I have all of those as well. Half the time I can't find anything I haven't already seen or wasn't interested in in the first place. Might be time to drop 1 or 2 of them.

Ended up just ordering Disney for $70/year.  May end up backing out of ESPN+ anyway - and we have the cheap Hulu already - so the combined was less than the bundle.

One pleasant surprise for me - the app was available for download on my Samsung Smart Tv - a lot of places on-line said it would not be available.  But - its all set up - looks great.
I checked this AM on my kids Samsung STVs and could not find it. I'll have to check later...do you remember where it was? 

Does anyone know if the original SW trilogy is the original versions or the crappy 'enhanced' versions. I could live a lifetime without needing to see Jabba's tail getting stepped on again. 

I checked this AM on my kids Samsung STVs and could not find it. I'll have to check later...do you remember where it was? 
Yeah - I went to the app store/screen - clicked down to "Groups Content" -> Genre -> Video and it was the first one available.

I would guess there is an easier way just using the search function...

BTW, if you're on an unlimited data plan with Verizon, you get Disney+ free for a year.

If you already subscribed, it will defer your paid subscription for a year.
So how do you "redeem" this in order to get credit? I haven't subscribed yet but my wife has an unlimited plan with Verizon.

If you don’t care about Star Wars or Comic movies then is there anything here for me?
the whole disney library, from snow white, and original live action on, from all the old TV specials and movies, plus a group of original programing documentaries about the parks, environment and disney company.

If you don’t care about Star Wars or Comic movies then is there anything here for me?
That's a good question. My best answer is to follow this link @DJackson10, provided earlier.

https://d23.com/basically-everything-you-can-watch-on-disney-plus/

I went through the whole list and found four movies that I'd like to see. Outside of the Mandalorian and maybe some of the Clone Wars animated stuff, there's not much going on for me at this time. I'm going to hold off until more content is added since I don't have kids. Already have ESPN+ subscription and don't need Hulu which also helps make my decision easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the original SW trilogy is the original versions or the crappy 'enhanced' versions. I could live a lifetime without needing to see Jabba's tail getting stepped on again. 
Apparently the enhanced versions. But if they ever were going to give us an option for the originals, this will be the format. 

Just got home and watched the first episode of Madalorian. Was awesome. But still only have one episode available. Checked online and apparently that’s all your supposed to have. Second episode premieres in a couple days. 

So if you have multiple episodes, I’d suggest watching them now. 
Disney+ is going the weekly episode route like network tv instead of the all at once binge watching route of Netflix and Amazon, which is why no rush to sign up for some folks.

:shrug:

National Geographic stuff maybe.  I'll watch Free Solo among other shows/documentaries.

Its Disney though - a lot of content is geared towards kids/teens.

Both of my kids will easily watch 100+ hours of content from this over the next year.

Lucas has gone on record saying that only the enhanced films will ever be the versions available. The original masters are gone, no one knows if there is anything preserved and available to be used for a non enhanced version to ever be released. You would think Disney would be all over that from a money standpoint since it would sell like hot-cakes to all us nerds, but maybe Lucas made it a condition when he sold? Kathleen Kennedy has gone on record saying they won't ever alter the 1st 6 movies so it's probably likely a condition they had to agree to.

If you are willing to skirt the law, there is a "despecialized edition" floating out there on torrents that is in HD and painstakingly pieced together by a bunch of fans. Otherwise I think you have to track down a copy of the 2006 DVD release that have transfers from the original Lasediscs as bonus content, but you'll have to shell out a chunk of change for that.

Special Edition only. The unaltered OT was only ever on DVD as a special feature on the 2006 set.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Original_unaltered_trilogy

The original unaltered versions of the original trilogy were officially made available to fans on DVD on September 12, 2006.[3] Each of the films in this release was presented on two DVDs, with the 2004 re-mastered versions present on the first DVD and the original versions, taken from the 1993 LaserDisc editions, available as "bonuses" on the second DVD. The second DVD presents each movie in what Lucasfilm claimed to be the original theatrical form. In reality, the films were essentially the 1993 Laserdisc masters (which had numerous visual and audio differences from the 1977 theatrical cuts) with the "Episode IV" subtitle removed and the updated starfield replaced with the original one. Many sound and visual effects shots created for pre-1993 home video releases are still present in this version.

And they changed the Han/Greedo exchange again!

After Han says, "Yes, I bet you have." Greedo says another line of something - of course without dialog so there's no way to know WHAT he said. SMH

Is the casual star wars fan supposed to know who the Mandalorian is?  I'm asking for a friend.  

Is the casual star wars fan supposed to know who the Mandalorian is?  I'm asking for a friend.  
Mandalorians are a race of people. They were like the Spartans of that galaxy. Boba Fett was a Mandalorian. 

New to streaming services.  Am I blind, or is there no way to download content through a web browser on a notebook computer?  I see a download button on my phone, but nothing on my laptop (PC).

Edit: NM, found my answer:

How do downloads work?

You can download movies and TV shows from Disney+ on up to 10 mobile devices. Downloads are supported on iPhone, iPad, Android phones, and Android tablets (including Amazon Fire tablets). They are not available on laptops.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20960169/disney-plus-launch-how-to-streaming-service-now-available-netflix

Not going to get into details.

Using an old, four years at least, FireBox, went in to Amazon Prime Video to see if Avengers "End Game" was available for rental. 

Not only is it available for rental on Prime, but an option to subscribe to D+ was available. (I just want to rent that particular movie, haven't seen it, have stayed out of all Marvel threads since release.   :bag:  )

Just an FYI for the Amazon Prime folks

:banned:

I think we are in the winter of Netflix.  Kind of sad since they started this whole thing, but I don't think they'll survive.  They just don't have the content to win this war.  I imagine someone will buy them or the rights to their original content and that'll be the end of them.  
Pretty soon Disney will own everything and we will just have 20% direct deposit from our check to Disney.  I for one look forward to our Disney overlords.

Has anyone been able to get this to work with Express VPN yet?

Every time I tried the app today on my iPad with EVPN connected to a US server, the app kicked an error message.  As soon as I turned off the VPN, it worked fine.

I do a lot of international travel for work and can usually find a US server to get Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime to work...will be a bummer if Disney+ won’t work with EVPN.

Is there some primer that could give me some background?  Also, I bumped another thread - not sure what you guys think about using this thread for show/movie discussion 
I'm fine using this for for updates and such they bring out as anything important could get lost in a movie or new show discussion 

I agree. Plus they made their service more expensive. I had the original Netflix where you could also order the DVDs as well. I had the basic service and could stream to 2 TV's for I believe 8.99 a month. Now I pay $4 more then original after all these yrs. There's only a few things Netflix has now worth watching. A few decent original shows but most of the shows I want to watch are now on other services anyway. 

Pretty soon Disney will own everything and we will just have 20% direct deposit from our check to Disney.  I for one look forward to our Disney overlords.
I am too as long as they don't go over PC. I'm not someone who says screw SJWs or such but I will call something out if it's a bit out of hand or just ridiculous accusations 

Users who are viewing this thread