What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

New video with pretty detailed (up till now) info on the New Star Wars Hotel. Its opening in 2021 but they are saying they will begin accepting reservations later this year. It will be a 2-night experience with closed transport from airport to hotel  (edit) looks like you enter your 'shuttle pod' at the front entry of the resort, and from hotel to Batuu. The room look cool a shiznet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGH5fpqStE&feature=emb_title

How much are kidneys going for on ebay these days? 

Last edited by a moderator:
New video with pretty detailed (up till now) info on the New Star Wars Hotel. Its opening in 2021 but they are saying they will begin accepting reservations later this year. It will be a 2-night experience with closed transport from airport to hotel and from hotel to Batuu. The room look cool a shiznet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGH5fpqStE&feature=emb_title

How much are kidneys going for on ebay these days? 
I have a feeling this will be on a bunch of 50 year olds bday present wishes. But im not sure they can sustain the high prices. after you do it once why would you do it again

I have a feeling this will be on a bunch of 50 year olds bday present wishes. But im not sure they can sustain the high prices. after you do it once why would you do it again
its a 2 night thing...so I'm seeing a lot of people doing this, then bouncing to a value for the rest of their trip. I look at it as on par with the 3-4 day cruise thebn 2-3 day parks people. 

this left coast guy is headed to Disney World with the family mid June. Have done Disneyland before, but this trip will be a first for us. 

Gotta say, the talk in this thread has me a little un-excited. I hate waiting in long lines. 

Disney had their earnings call and CEO Iger said that season 2 returns in October. 

Also, Iger also hinted there could be additional spin-off series based on characters introduced in the First Season

this left coast guy is headed to Disney World with the family mid June. Have done Disneyland before, but this trip will be a first for us. 

Gotta say, the talk in this thread has me a little un-excited. I hate waiting in long lines. 
Where are you staying and how long will you be there?

I think dealing with the crowds comes down to patience, expectations and planning. If you are only familiar with Disneyland Park, the #1 thing that will strike you is the overall size of the resort and how spread out everything is, and how getting around property is a job in itself. 

As for the crowds, I'm sure they are not much different overall from DL as long as you are not going during a holiday. I think the idea of crowds is amplified by the heat/weather of Florida, and the the lack of many attractions when in the other 3 parks (not MK). 

Pretty sure reading this thread actually made us change our trip completely from Disney land to the Caribbean. Once we started planning Disney between the cost and reading about it here I did some major talking out of going there. (And I like amusement parks for the most part)

not regretting it, it sounds like so much work and planning (and money, like 3 days staying in the park was as much as a week at an all inclusive for 4!) !  I’ll send our teenage boys to an amusement park this summer on their own lol 

Pretty sure reading this thread actually made us change our trip completely from Disney land to the Caribbean. Once we started planning Disney between the cost and reading about it here I did some major talking out of going there. (And I like amusement parks for the most part)

not regretting it, it sounds like so much work and planning (and money, like 3 days staying in the park was as much as a week at an all inclusive for 4!) !  I’ll send our teenage boys to an amusement park this summer on their own lol 
Sadly you are not alone. We are just waiting for disney to actually get that message, but it doesn't seem like they will hear it anytime soon. 

As someone that has been going to WDW for years, and knows the system inside and out, my family is pretty much done with the amount of heavy lifting required. I've mentioned it before, our last trip we went from dining every day to 2 or 3 reservations (out of a 10 day trip) and didnt walk into a theme park until after 3pm—and it was a great vacation. I try to offer as much advice as I can to people going for the 1st time, and after i'm done explaining things I think, "WTF did I just say??" Planning a WDW trip takes more work than the Normandy invasion. 

Is the Disney bubble begging to burst?  If this thread is any indication (and it usually is) this might be a tipping point.  I certainly don't see prices ever going down, but trip fatigue has set in for us.  

We still have an October trip planned, but I doubt we'd be going if we hadn't just adopted a 4 year old.   We feel like she needs to experience everything our other kids did growing up.  It will be right at 2 years between trips for us.  My guess is that's the new minimum amount of time between trips for us.   We started this in 2014 and the first few trips were pretty magical.  I don't think we ever waited in line more than 45 minutes.  Now that's the new average.  

Is the Disney bubble begging to burst?  If this thread is any indication (and it usually is) this might be a tipping point.  I certainly don't see prices ever going down, but trip fatigue has set in for us.  

We still have an October trip planned, but I doubt we'd be going if we hadn't just adopted a 4 year old.   We feel like she needs to experience everything our other kids did growing up.  It will be right at 2 years between trips for us.  My guess is that's the new minimum amount of time between trips for us.   We started this in 2014 and the first few trips were pretty magical.  I don't think we ever waited in line more than 45 minutes.  Now that's the new average.  
We had a great time last month and hardly waited on any lines, BUT, we know what we are doing. If you look at Shiek, he is waiting in lines of 90 mins for 7D and 2 hours for POTC. 

We had a great time last month and hardly waited on any lines, BUT, we know what we are doing. If you look at Shiek, he is waiting in lines of 90 mins for 7D and 2 hours for POTC. 
Yeah, we're seasoned enough to get by.  We always have FP's for the 7Ds and all the big attractions in general.   I'd be curious to see the numbers on just how many attractions the average family of 4 goes on on an average 8-10 hour day at MK.  I feel like most probably do their 3 fp's and then maybe another 2 rides?  Maybe?  

I know there are plenty of people that just enjoy a day at MK and don't have to go on the rides, and we're getting to be like that, but most want bang for their buck.  Hell, its not like anyone is being forced to go so who knows?  

Our next trip we might steal @glvsav37s playbook.  No FP's until after 3, sleep in every morning and ease into the day.  Maybe hit up a magic morning once or twice?  

Yeah, we're seasoned enough to get by.  We always have FP's for the 7Ds and all the big attractions in general.   I'd be curious to see the numbers on just how many attractions the average family of 4 goes on on an average 8-10 hour day at MK.  I feel like most probably do their 3 fp's and then maybe another 2 rides?  Maybe?  

I know there are plenty of people that just enjoy a day at MK and don't have to go on the rides, and we're getting to be like that, but most want bang for their buck.  Hell, its not like anyone is being forced to go so who knows?  

Our next trip we might steal @glvsav37s playbook.  No FP's until after 3, sleep in every morning and ease into the day.  Maybe hit up a magic morning once or twice?  
This was us.  Not including the smaller princess meetups.  Technically we waited in 3 standby lines, but only rode two of them.  So I guess it would really count as 3 standbys and 3 fps.

It's tough and I've discussed it before.  The days of 15-20 attractions and tons of FP are over but especially with my kids being older I'm ok with it.  I'm much more relaxed when I go to DW now.  I can go to the Poly and shop and hit Trader Sam's and walk the resort and have a fantastic 2-3 hours.  I can walk the Boardwalk and then go get ice cream at Beaches n Cream - walk in to World Showcase and tour around a few countries and have another awesome 2-3 hours - use a FP or two and then get poutine and a Moosehead lager in Canada.  20 years ago I would have thought that was a wasted day - now it sounds glorious and essentially no wait times.  Then if the kids really want to ride Soarin' or something we don't have a FP for then I'll wait (as long as it's not ridiculous) and hang out with the kids.  I think it's just so hard for new families and folks that plan to only go once or twice.

It's tough and I've discussed it before.  The days of 15-20 attractions and tons of FP are over but especially with my kids being older I'm ok with it.  I'm much more relaxed when I go to DW now.  I can go to the Poly and shop and hit Trader Sam's and walk the resort and have a fantastic 2-3 hours.  I can walk the Boardwalk and then go get ice cream at Beaches n Cream - walk in to World Showcase and tour around a few countries and have another awesome 2-3 hours - use a FP or two and then get poutine and a Moosehead lager in Canada.  20 years ago I would have thought that was a wasted day - now it sounds glorious and essentially no wait times.  Then if the kids really want to ride Soarin' or something we don't have a FP for then I'll wait (as long as it's not ridiculous) and hang out with the kids.  I think it's just so hard for new families and folks that plan to only go once or twice.
I could get down with that. That sounds like a nice day. Trying to wait in a two hour line with a 5 year old, not as nice a day. 

I could get down with that. That sounds like a nice day. Trying to wait in a two hour line with a 5 year old, not as nice a day. 
Many of us who have been in this thread for a long time have mentioned this but the folks who have the worst time at Disney fall in to 3 categories (maybe more):

1. Those who don't plan anything thinking they will just wing it - it's just too overwhelming.  The overall resort is just too enormous and the parks themselves are so large and spread out and so many things to do

2. Those who plan way too much and insist on doing it all - dragging a 5 year old out of bed at 6am to hit rope drop and then have a packed itinerary for the rest of the day without rest breaks or naps is a recipe for disaster.  People do it with older kids and it's a bad idea - doing it with little ones is crazy

3. Those who are unwilling to deviate from their plan - weather, ride closures, bad luck and several other factors can impact your touring - roll with the punches and focus on the reason you are there - to check out hot princesses while you eat food.....I mean, to have fun with your family.  Don't let a small (or even big) change in the plan cause you to have a horrible time

Many of us who have been in this thread for a long time have mentioned this but the folks who have the worst time at Disney fall in to 3 categories (maybe more):

1. Those who don't plan anything thinking they will just wing it - it's just too overwhelming.  The overall resort is just too enormous and the parks themselves are so large and spread out and so many things to do

2. Those who plan way too much and insist on doing it all - dragging a 5 year old out of bed at 6am to hit rope drop and then have a packed itinerary for the rest of the day without rest breaks or naps is a recipe for disaster.  People do it with older kids and it's a bad idea - doing it with little ones is crazy

3. Those who are unwilling to deviate from their plan - weather, ride closures, bad luck and several other factors can impact your touring - roll with the punches and focus on the reason you are there - to check out hot princesses while you eat food.....I mean, to have fun with your family.  Don't let a small (or even big) change in the plan cause you to have a horrible time
I get all that but for families who spend five grand plus this is a perhaps a once in a lifetime trip. It’s typically a family of four with two kids in the 5-12 range. You get three fast passes a day basically. Yeah, once those are gone you can try for more but when we went there was nothing left by afternoon. What does that family do after their three rides? Wait in line for 45 minutes to see a character? Wait in line for two hours to go on another ride? Walk around and just see the park? It’s different if you go there all the time. Much easier to deviate from the plan.

I get all that but for families who spend five grand plus this is a perhaps a once in a lifetime trip. It’s typically a family of four with two kids in the 5-12 range. You get three fast passes a day basically. Yeah, once those are gone you can try for more but when we went there was nothing left by afternoon. What does that family do after their three rides? Wait in line for 45 minutes to see a character? Wait in line for two hours to go on another ride? Walk around and just see the park? It’s different if you go there all the time. Much easier to deviate from the plan.
You are 100% right in your questions/concerns.  I don't have a great answer for you because everyone is different and their goals/wants are different.  @glvsav37 and several others of us have pretty good recommendations to help make it as good as it can be but ultimately you are right - if you don't know and spend a lot of money you are taking a gamble going.  As often as I've gone I still won't go in the middle of summer or during certain other times.  Just not worth it.

Couple of comments specifically about the 45 minutes question:

• Not all attractions will have that but the most popular ones will - choose what you absolutely have to do vs. what you want to do
  • Do things off peak times is always a good recommendation (e.g. - at rope drop, during parades or fireworks, right before park closing)

This is not true at all. 

In fact, I was able to get fast passes for major rides like soarin and rock n roller coaster well past our 3rd FP expired. 

Now, it does take F5ing the app to get it, but big deal. It wastes nothing but battery on the phone and I am still actively engaged with what the family is doing 

ETA: There is also some who suggest going to a FP kiosk will get you some of those major rides later in the day as well 

This is not true at all. 

In fact, I was able to get fast passes for major rides like soarin and rock n roller coaster well past our 3rd FP expired. 

Now, it does take F5ing the app to get it, but big deal. It wastes nothing but battery on the phone and I am still actively engaged with what the family is doing 

ETA: There is also some who suggest going to a FP kiosk will get you some of those major rides later in the day as well 
We just went. Finished our fast passes by 3. There was nothing left by 3 pm for anything at animal kingdom or magic kingdom. 

We just went. Finished our fast passes by 3. There was nothing left by 3 pm for anything at animal kingdom or magic kingdom. 
We went with the mindset that we were probably only going to get to ride 3 rides on standby and that helped a lot.  We lowered our expectations and it was fine.  Although, for paying that much money, you shouldn't have to lower your expectations.  

Again, I really can't complain about the day at all.  We stayed flexible and didn't try to cram in too much and had a blast. Would have been nice if it was less crowded, but it is what it is.  

How many times did you check? 

I ask because if you only check once or twice, you might not get anything. But if you keep refreshing, things always pop up

Here's an unpopular recommendation but I think is a good one for people who need to watch their budget and/or are unsure about Disney in general.

• don't stay on property - it's expensive as hell - VRBO
  • don't eat on property or limit it - it's expensive as hell - take your own food and drink with you
  • get a 3-5 park hopper - you will shell out a good chunk of money for that but that's the sweet spot for getting your per diem park ticket to a manageable cost (read not $110/day).
  • If you go for a week you could play it by ear and add more days if you want to your ticket - if you hate it then don't and go do something else
Note if you go this route it's a different experience than staying on property and you miss out on the on property perks but you can experience Disney and see if you want to drop even more coin to stay on property and do the dining experiences.

Don’t get me wrong. My daughter and I got back a couple weeks ago and I felt it was worth it. I didn’t love it but it was still worth it. But I knew what to expect this time. We went a couple years before and I honestly felt like Disney stole my money. It was a week before Xmas and of the five days we went the park we went to was at capacity 4 of those days. It was busy when we went this time but it was ridiculous last time. Basically hit our fast passes and nothing else. When we went this time I heard a lot of angry and complaining people in lines. Mainly families with young kids. The parks are not set up to handle these volumes of people.

How many times did you check? 

I ask because if you only check once or twice, you might not get anything. But if you keep refreshing, things always pop up
As much as I could. I didn’t want to be on my phone constantly but outside the lame rides there was nothing past 3 or 4 when I checked at those two parks. 

Last time I went my experience was the major stuff wasn't available but some lesser attractions did.  My advice is to plan on that and build it in to your touring.  It's difficult and hard to get right unless you've done it a while. 

Don’t get me wrong. My daughter and I got back a couple weeks ago and I felt it was worth it. I didn’t love it but it was still worth it. But I knew what to expect this time. We went a couple years before and I honestly felt like Disney stole my money. It was a week before Xmas and of the five days we went the park we went to was at capacity 4 of those days. It was busy when we went this time but it was ridiculous last time. Basically hit our fast passes and nothing else. When we went this time I heard a lot of angry and complaining people in lines. Mainly families with young kids. The parks are not set up to handle these volumes of people.
Part of the problem with this is Disney is doing like every other large company and optimizing the hell out of everything.  They no longer keep rides fully staffed and have full capacity going.  They somewhat artificially keep the rides times inflated when they don't have to.

Pretty sure we told you about this GB. No sense in crying over spilled milk now
I'm not crying over it.  I just thought you only got three for the day.  

Honestly, I'm sure I missed a lot of stuff that was said.  It was overwhelming and an eventful weekend.  But the help I got from here made it so much better.  As I said, I regret nothing and we had a blast.  So all good on my end.  

Part of the problem with this is Disney is doing like every other large company and optimizing the hell out of everything.  They no longer keep rides fully staffed and have full capacity going.  They somewhat artificially keep the rides times inflated when they don't have to.
Actually talked to one of the employees about that when waiting in the Mickey line. Makes me think Disney is perfectly happy with two hour waits in lines and they’ll change nothing unless people stop going because of it. 

Actually talked to one of the employees about that when waiting in the Mickey line. Makes me think Disney is perfectly happy with two hour waits in lines and they’ll change nothing unless people stop going because of it. 
Of course - there's tons of data & analytics that go in to how companies offer their services to the public.  Everyone is doing it and Disney has a ton of data to mine.  It's hard to argue with results but it does make you realize that at the end of the day they don't give a #### about YOU, they give a #### about making money.  I reconcile that with the fact that the service itself is usually so top notch that I'm will to overlook that.  They still do most of the little things right - when that changes enough to cause me dissatisfaction then I'm out. 

Keep people off of rides and walking around the park instead and they buy more. Just a theory. How it worked with us. Got tired of being in lines and walked Mainstreet with my eight year old. Bought her a sweatshirt and stopped and got sundaes. 

I guess if crowds are still growing, there is no need to adjust anything.  Corporations tend to react rather than keep ahead of things.  I'm sure Disney will wait until attendance plateaus, then raise prices on tickets to thin the crowds.  

In all this great discussion about the parks, its fitting that WDW (and DL) came out with their annual ticket cost increases on both the park hopper and annual passes. 

the General admission park hopper pass went up on average $5 per ticket/per day, and the higher level annual passes went up on average $80/year. The Florida resident AP seem to be unchanged and gold (DVC) passes only went up $20'ish

A couple quick questions that may have already been addressed somewhere in the previous 319 pages:

Background - Been about 23 years since I’ve been there. Going with my 11 year old daughter, wife, parents and MIL. Going for 5ish days with Park Hopper passes the first week of November. Staying on-site at Pop Century. Doing the mid-tier Dining Plan.

1) Is Memory Maker worth it for a first timer? Trying to weigh between not having to worry about cameras and just doing stuff (that applies x100 for my wife who would easily take several thousand photos with her phone) versus being able to grab photos whenever I want and being able to grab the exact shots I want

2) When do they close lines/rides at park close? I’m using TouringPlans to create plans for each day and it currently has me getting in line for Flight of Passage at AK at 7:45pm and waiting in line for 118 minutes(!) when the park closes at 8pm. Would we be able to get in line at that point still and get in the ride eventually? Is that type of wait even close to being worth it for that attraction?

3) Has anyone else used TouringPlans’s service to build plans and found it to be mostly accurate/useful? If it’s actually pretty accurate, seems like the best tool out there for actually getting to do a bunch of stuff at Disney. Definitely makes it more of a “planned” trip than a flexible carefree play-it-as-you-go trip, but I don’t think I can stomach paying thousands and thousands of dollars just to do 4 or 5 things a day.

4) What’s your top 5 rides/attractions/parades at WDW?

5) What’s your top 3 places to eat at Disney?

6) One thing people should know but don’t that will make a huge difference in the trip?

A couple quick questions that may have already been addressed somewhere in the previous 319 pages:

Background - Been about 23 years since I’ve been there. Going with my 11 year old daughter, wife, parents and MIL. Going for 5ish days with Park Hopper passes the first week of November. Staying on-site at Pop Century. Doing the mid-tier Dining Plan.

1) Is Memory Maker worth it for a first timer? Trying to weigh between not having to worry about cameras and just doing stuff (that applies x100 for my wife who would easily take several thousand photos with her phone) versus being able to grab photos whenever I want and being able to grab the exact shots I want

2) When do they close lines/rides at park close? I’m using TouringPlans to create plans for each day and it currently has me getting in line for Flight of Passage at AK at 7:45pm and waiting in line for 118 minutes(!) when the park closes at 8pm. Would we be able to get in line at that point still and get in the ride eventually? Is that type of wait even close to being worth it for that attraction?

3) Has anyone else used TouringPlans’s service to build plans and found it to be mostly accurate/useful? If it’s actually pretty accurate, seems like the best tool out there for actually getting to do a bunch of stuff at Disney. Definitely makes it more of a “planned” trip than a flexible carefree play-it-as-you-go trip, but I don’t think I can stomach paying thousands and thousands of dollars just to do 4 or 5 things a day.

5) What’s your top 3 places to eat at Disney?

6) One thing people should know but don’t that will make a huge difference in the trip?
Memory maker absolutely worth it. I used to bring my nikon d90. Love not bringing our anymore. Your wife can still take pics with her phone

As long as you are on a line by the time the park closes,  you are golden. We have done FOP at closing time and its great bc fastpasses are all done. It wont be 118 mins. 

Ive used touring plans but didnt really follow their plan since we pretty much know what to do. But great service

Rise of resistance, Pirates of Caribbean, Smugglers run, slinky dog and rock n roller coaster. Wow, 4/5 at HS. 

Ohana, turkey leg station, yak and yettis

When you enter MK, get there at rope drop and go to adventure land area right away (to the left by caseys and Crystal Palace) you will be able to do Aladdin, Jungle cruise and Pirates all with zero wait. Then head past Pirates and do splash and Big Thunder. might want to FP one of those for about 1 hour after park opens. 

Obviously this is highly subjective.  It really depends a lot whether you are into thrill rides, dark rides, shows, parades, etc.

For me the top attractions are:

Avatar: Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster and Haunted Mansion. 

DISCLAIMER:  I have not been on Rise of Resistance Yet or Smuggler's Run.

Users who are viewing this thread