What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (3 Viewers)

AcerFC said:
4) What’s your top 5 rides/attractions/parades at WDW?
For me it's Flight of Passage and then everything else.  I haven't been on the new Star Wars ride, but I"m not a huge Star Wars fan.  The kids and I like roller coasters, so the follow up would be Expedition Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster...the last two are nostalgic in nature with Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.  I'd probably throw Test Track in there somewhere too.  It's a pretty cool concept.  

AcerFC said:
5) What’s your top 3 places to eat at Disney?
If you want a meal without having to plan a ton, Liberty Tree Tavern is our goto when we are in Magic Kingdom.  It's served family style, all  you can eat preset menu.  The other places would probably be outside of the parks in Disney Springs.  We don't do a ton of dining outside of character meals on site.  My wife and I really like to go to Epcot during food/wine, but even then usually get things at the grab/go portions of the park.  

GroveDiesel said:
A couple quick questions that may have already been addressed somewhere in the previous 319 pages:

Background - Been about 23 years since I’ve been there. Going with my 11 year old daughter, wife, parents and MIL. Going for 5ish days with Park Hopper passes the first week of November. Staying on-site at Pop Century. Doing the mid-tier Dining Plan.

1) Is Memory Maker worth it for a first timer? Trying to weigh between not having to worry about cameras and just doing stuff (that applies x100 for my wife who would easily take several thousand photos with her phone) versus being able to grab photos whenever I want and being able to grab the exact shots I want

2) When do they close lines/rides at park close? I’m using TouringPlans to create plans for each day and it currently has me getting in line for Flight of Passage at AK at 7:45pm and waiting in line for 118 minutes(!) when the park closes at 8pm. Would we be able to get in line at that point still and get in the ride eventually? Is that type of wait even close to being worth it for that attraction?

3) Has anyone else used TouringPlans’s service to build plans and found it to be mostly accurate/useful? If it’s actually pretty accurate, seems like the best tool out there for actually getting to do a bunch of stuff at Disney. Definitely makes it more of a “planned” trip than a flexible carefree play-it-as-you-go trip, but I don’t think I can stomach paying thousands and thousands of dollars just to do 4 or 5 things a day.

4) What’s your top 5 rides/attractions/parades at WDW?

6) One thing people should know but don’t that will make a huge difference in the trip?
1. Memory maker: IMO yes. Not only do you get the in park photos, but also any on-ride photos automatically get aded to your account. You'll be surprised how many photos you actually get. Be sure to ask each photopass CM about magic shots there are different ones all over the parks.

2. I think @AcerFCanswered this one well enough. I'm a big fan of ride'it when you can philosophy. If you can do it now, do it now. You might wait till the end of the day just to find it down. for my money, rope drop attractions like that is still the best way. 

3. I'm a big touring plans fan, but WDW has been manipulating wait times (allegedly) and it seems to be messing with TP's numbers. Still worth the $15 or whatever it is now to have as a planning reference. You will do more then 4 things with or without them. Just need a basic working understanding of the parks, when good vs bad times to do things are and leverage your fastpasses. the 4/5 ride people are the same ones who say "I"m not paying for no stinkin' fastpasses!" (Psst they are free). Having a basic plan is key, but also understanding that if you are going to be in MK on one day, don't plan a meal across property at Animal Kingdom lodge that night. Don't make FPs back to back that will have you crossing the park. Stuff like that. 

4. Such a loaded question lol, but i'll bite, but on my terms....
MK: Haunted Mansion, Splash mountain, Pirates, 7 dwarves Mine Train and Laugh Floor. Both the 3pm parade and Happily ever after fireworks are really good, you should make time for both. 
Epcot: tough call b/c lots of construction there. Space Ship Earth,  Soarin, Test Track and Frozen (not much else left). The night show is nice, but the old one was miles better. Nice thing thogh is that the size of the lagoon is soo big that there is usually a good spot 15 mins before showtime, and if you are in the world showcase side (esp by germany or italy), you can grab a nice drink to watch the show and end the night
Studios: Rise of resistance is #1 here, yet to bee seen how they will handle fastpasses/boarding once we get past the summer. If the kid likes thrill, Tower or Terror and Aerosmith coaster are both great, star tours is on my list too even though it is not in the SW area. THere wil lbe a new ride open by the time you get there—Mickey & Minnie raileway, that looks amazing, so keep an eye out for that. The Studios went from a "Oh No!" to a "Hell yea!" almost overnight. As for shows, Fantasmic is a great show and I watch that over the fireworks mainly bc its a full show with seating (rest), its longer, and the best areas to watch the FWs is very cramped and fills quick  
AK: Everest, Flight of Passage, Safari, Tough to be a bug, Dinosaur. I have no love for the night show here, Rivers of Light, but the tree of life displays are cute and short. 

5. I feel that you cant do Disney w/o doing character meals, they just go hand in hand. 1900 park fare (Grand Flo)  is my favorite for food. Chef mickey will get you the big characters (MM, MM Goofy, Donald & Pluto). Tusker house (AK) is another good one, as is Cape May (Beach Club, breakfast). As my kids get older, we like to do ones with the "face characters" meaning they do not wear a mask. IMO if you are a bit fun, you get some great interactions with the characters b/c they can talk to you. For your daughter, if she still digs princesses (hell, if you dig princesses) go to Akershus in Norway/Epcot, they are all there (breakfast is best).
As for non-character: Ohana (polly resort) was mentioned. I love, love Cape May Dinner at the Beach club, its a seafood/crab leg bake buffet with some of the best crab legs I ever had. Studios has some unique theme restaurants like Sci Fi dine in. The pizzaria in italy/Epcot is great. Disney springs has the best food options, but I doubt you'll make it there this trip. 

6. Check your expectations and be prepared to go with the flow. Too many people try and beat WDW and they all lose. Plus it seems you are going with older folks who may slow you down. Maybe consider having times where you can go with the family and the older ones meet you a bit later, esp on a day where you want to rope drop something. WDW is a big place and you have a nice hotel, but it is a bit further away from the parks then others in the higher category. So be prepared for extra travel time. Use uber or taxies here and there if you are trying to save time. All taxis can be called from the bell desk and they are never more then 2 mins away. With a party your size, get the van, that will save a bunch of time. 

2 big things....

1. Epcot will have their food and wine festival still running. This is a great event!! Lots of international food and wine/beer booths set up around the park where you can snack and drink. The food costs a few bucks ($3-6 a plate), so be prepared to spend some $$ but it is so worth it, I think there are some that take the dining plan credits. You can even turn Quick Serv meal credits into 3 (or so) snack credits, so eating around F&W can replace a QS meal. 

2. It will be party season at Magic Kingdom. The Christmas party will be starting then. 1st one starts Nov 8. (last Halloween party is Nov 1). IDK if this aligns with your trip but 2 things to know. 1. They are a blast but are a special ticket and do cost extra. They also tend to get crowded, esp the 1st one b/c thats when al lthe bloggers and locals come out. However, they are unique with special parades, fireworks and meet and greets. 2. They close MK down at 6pm on party nights. So if you are NOT planning on going to the party, Do not plan on a full day at MK b/c you will get kicked out. MK is a great morning park those days b/c no one is generally there simply b/c it closes early. You have hoppers, so you can get a lot done there in the AM and then hop to another park at night. 

Awesome feedback guys. Appreciate it.

Another question: how predictable are extra magic hours? Touring Plans has them predicted out through our trip and I’m basing our plans so far with that in mind quite a bit, especially the extra morning hour.

And definitely thinking we’ll skip the Christmas Party but take advantage by hitting MK that day and hopping over to another park that night. My original thought was to hit AK that night, but with AK closing at 8pm versus the 9pm that the other parks close, I’m not sure if it’s the best use of the time or not.

Probably the biggest thing I’ll have to work through is planning a good chunk break every day due to some health issues in our family. So trying to block out a good 2 hours to get back to the hotel in late afternoon and then do a table service dinner back in a park for the evening is going to take a good chunk of time up but should allow everyone to rest up a bit.

GroveDiesel said:
Not necessarily my top places but these are pretty good

Animal Kingdom: Yak and Yeti - an upgrade over PF Changs  (Flame Tree BBQ is pretty good Quick Service)

Disney Springs: Ragland Road  - I'm Irish so love the food, beer and vibe.  Lots of good options though

EPCOT: Via Napoli - great place for pizza and wine lunch

Hollywood Studios:  Sci Fi Dine-in Theater - LOVE the atmosphere.  Stick with burgers and shakes and food is good

Magic Kingdom:  Caseys is pretty good if you want a hot dog.  Other than that maybe Liberty Tree Tavern

Resorts:  California Grill  (Contemporary) is great but expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready to book going July 1-8

staying at a universal property and doing 3 days of universal parks and then MK, Epcot and Hollywood in some order

our second time going and I’ve already decided we aren’t going to let it overwhelm  us.  Other than my oldest wanting to do all the Harry Potter stuff I don’t think there’s any must do attractions for us, so if we get shafted in fast past or nobody wants to wait then so be it

not worrying about any rope drops or late nights and none on them are going to care about doing character dinners or meet and greets. May even just go to one of the Disney parks in the afternoon or leave early so we can spend some time at our pool 

lotta money to drop but I know last time we went it just beat us down.  Kids were younger too but between trying to cram in character dinners or using our meal plan to try and maximize park time and then eat dinner at 9:00 they were falling asleep at the dinner table 

staying at a universal property and doing 3 days of universal parks and then MK, Epcot and Hollywood in some order

our second time going and I’ve already decided we aren’t going to let it overwhelm  us.  Other than my oldest wanting to do all the Harry Potter stuff I don’t think there’s any must do attractions for us, so if we get shafted in fast past or nobody wants to wait then so be it

not worrying about any rope drops or late nights and none on them are going to care about doing character dinners or meet and greets. May even just go to one of the Disney parks in the afternoon or leave early so we can spend some time at our pool 

lotta money to drop but I know last time we went it just beat us down.  Kids were younger too but between trying to cram in character dinners or using our meal plan to try and maximize park time and then eat dinner at 9:00 they were falling asleep at the dinner table 
That is the way to do it man. At your pace and leisure. 

Just went to Disneyland with our team to celebrate a great 2019. We flew in on Saturday afternoon and left on Monday night. Hadn't been in almost 25 years so I went with the flow on Saturday because we allegedly had some Disneyland pros in the group. It became obvious that I knew more about maximizing our time there just from reading this thread so I kind of took over on Saturday. Appreciate all of the advice from everyone in here. 

We were planning on taking our daughter next year for her birthday but now I'm trying to swing it for this April instead. Going to splurge on staying at the Grand Californian to make it as memorable and stress free as possible. Costco is currently running a 25% off rack rate deal along with some other perks, anyone know of a better deal before I book it?

good things happening for the USA pavilion in Epcot. 

Sam's Regal Eagle Smokehouse (not to be confused with the Regal Beagle from 3's Company) opened yesterday where the old burger joint QS location. 

food looks amazing. Best part is they added an outdoor smoker right in the plaza and filled it with plenty of outdoor seating. 

IDK if you can see this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/WDWCastandCommunity/videos/197040358347603/

Food review

the smoker, outdoor seating and a walk up bar with craft brews

aerial images of Shanghai Disney completely empty after being closed for the Coronavirus outbreak on Jan  25th.

Shanghai Disney is about 500 miles from Wuhan

not looking to start a virus discussion, there is a thread for that, just sharing b/c it is a look at a Disney park you otherwise would never see. 

a Lucas Film official has all but confirmed that there will be a Mandalorian Meet and Greet at Galaxy's Edge soon. A publication called "The Know" interviewed LucasFilm's VP of Licensing Paul Southern: 

There’s no question that “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge,” which opened inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2019, would make a great home to a real-life Mando — and perhaps even an animatronic Child. So when will these hotly-anticipated photo ops become a reality?

While there’s been no official announcement just yet, Lucasfilm’s senior vice president of licensing, Paul Southern, indicated that meeting Mando will soon be a staple attraction, exclusively telling In The Know that it can be expected in the “very near future.”

“So, the reality is that we feel it’s really important for our guests at the parks to be able to meet all of our key characters on a first-hand, personal basis,” Southern told In The Know. “And so it’s something we’re working on. We think it’s appropriate, and I think it’s something the guests at the parks can look forward to in the very near future.”
I'm sure they are working on a Mando as the character, but no hint to a baby yoda with him. However I'd hedge my bet and since they have a BB8 and had a baby Groot animatronic meet and greet, I would expect BY to be there. Especially when this animated baby yoda toy (baby toy-yoda lol) is expected to hit the shelves soon.

good things happening for the USA pavilion in Epcot. 

Sam's Regal Eagle Smokehouse (not to be confused with the Regal Beagle from 3's Company) opened yesterday where the old burger joint QS location. 

food looks amazing. Best part is they added an outdoor smoker right in the plaza and filled it with plenty of outdoor seating. 

IDK if you can see this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/WDWCastandCommunity/videos/197040358347603/

Food review

the smoker, outdoor seating and a walk up bar with craft brews
Sipping on a Jai Alai and smelling them meat sweats coming from the smoker?  Yeah, I’ll just stay right here, thank you very much

Oh man.   I went one weekend with my wife in early July.   Closest we ever came to a divorce.

its hot.   Real hot.   Don’t plan to over do it.

Oh man.   I went one weekend with my wife in early July.   Closest we ever came to a divorce.

its hot.   Real hot.   Don’t plan to over do it.
Yeah I expect to sweat profusely the entire time, but with kids school and wife’s work schedule summer was really our only option

Yeah I expect to sweat profusely the entire time, but with kids school and wife’s work schedule summer was really our only option
But honestly, it's real hot from end of May on through September, so it doesn't really matter as long as you know going in.  There's plenty of rides and attractions that are air-conditioned to get out of the heat.  We took those cooling towels when we went a couple years ago over July 4th and those helped too.  

Yeah I’d plan at least one day at a water park - kids will love that.
We are going to do the universal water park and we have the hopper pass for the 3 days there, so even taking we may do water park 2 days and hit the parks in the late afternoon/ evening 

I'm going to be in Orlando for two weeks.

Other than theme parks, what other places might you take your kids to see?
The Eye, or whatever they call it now, is fun.  If you wanna see FL Man in his natural habitat, go to either Fun Spot or Gatorland; they’re both actually fun smaller parks with added bonus of people watching unlike the big 3 parks.  Somewhat southwest of the attractions area is Bok Tower and Gardens.  Check the launch schedule, Space Center is pretty cool on its own but seeing a launch is even better 

Any general strategies for Hollywood Studios in terms of what time to be in what place, other than getting there early for the boarding group for RoR (still haven't decided if we're going to get the kids up early for this).  We are going Monday, March 9.

Our 5 year old loves Star Wars and our 3 year old loves Frozen.  Right now only things on the books are droid depot at 10:30am (looks like we could still change this) and lunch at Hollywood and Vine at 1:35 (again willing to change).

Our fastpasses are all jacked up because the MIL decided to join us last minute and wants to do all the rides with us so we have to re-do them all.  We have one free wildcard from some kind of Disney screw-up that will allow us to FP any ride other than the Star Wars ones at any time.  Other than that we have jack-all and it looks like all the good rides are booked up until 5pm when Star Tours is available.

Looking at the Disney app right now all the good rides have 115 min waits so this may be a disaster in the making.

Any general strategies for Hollywood Studios in terms of what time to be in what place, other than getting there early for the boarding group for RoR (still haven't decided if we're going to get the kids up early for this).  We are going Monday, March 9.

Our 5 year old loves Star Wars and our 3 year old loves Frozen.  Right now only things on the books are droid depot at 10:30am (looks like we could still change this) and lunch at Hollywood and Vine at 1:35 (again willing to change).

Our fastpasses are all jacked up because the MIL decided to join us last minute and wants to do all the rides with us so we have to re-do them all.  We have one free wildcard from some kind of Disney screw-up that will allow us to FP any ride other than the Star Wars ones at any time.  Other than that we have jack-all and it looks like all the good rides are booked up until 5pm when Star Tours is available.

Looking at the Disney app right now all the good rides have 115 min waits so this may be a disaster in the making.
Can you use the wildcard on slinky dog. If I was you, that is what I would do. With kids that young, Im thinking rock n roller and tower of terror are out. 

Will Runaway train be open that day? I want to say no. 

For the 3 year old, you can do the Frozen sing along (must do, dont need FP) and then take a pic with Olaf (right next door). There is also an Ariel show, Beauty and Beast show and Disney jr show she would like. Since those are shows that run all day, it gives you some leeway to ride the rides in Toy Story land. 

My advice, rope drop toy story land and do toy story mania right away. Then jump on Alien Swirling Saucers or A$$ as my son calls it and then use the wildcard on Slinky dog. 

After that, I would do one of the shows for the 3 year old. Maybe head into Star Wars land for droids. 

But in terms of rides, I think outside of Star Tours, smugglers run and ROR, there isnt much else (unless runaway train is open)

Others can check my work. Good luck 

seems  there is a new dining plan option coming on 2/27

The new "Dining Plan Plus" allows guests to redeem their two meal credits each day in any combination of either Table Service, Quick Service, or Character Dining, or a combination. So basically (as I understand it), under this plan there is no more TS or QS credits, its just 2 'any meal' credits and can have all TS meals or all QS meals for the duration of your vacation. Now there is not much info out yet, including pricing, but i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the huge price difference between QS and TS meals and dont understand how they cant differentiate between them?  But I'll keep an eye on it.  

As like other DDP packages, you get two snacks per day, and refillable mug. Plus, apparently under this plan, just like othe DDP's the unused meals or snacks rollover day to day, so guests can use them whenever they want during their stay.

seems  there is a new dining plan option coming on 2/27

The new "Dining Plan Plus" allows guests to redeem their two meal credits each day in any combination of either Table Service, Quick Service, or Character Dining, or a combination. So basically (as I understand it), under this plan there is no more TS or QS credits, its just 2 'any meal' credits and can have all TS meals or all QS meals for the duration of your vacation. Now there is not much info out yet, including pricing, but i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the huge price difference between QS and TS meals and dont understand how they cant differentiate between them?  But I'll keep an eye on it.  

As like other DDP packages, you get two snacks per day, and refillable mug. Plus, apparently under this plan, just like othe DDP's the unused meals or snacks rollover day to day, so guests can use them whenever they want during their stay.
This is exactly what Disney is counting on IMO. You can bet that Disney is going to price the plan as if you are paying for 2 TS meals a day in the hopes that people will use some of them as QS and Disney will come out way ahead.

I booked four nights at the Grand Californian hotel with four day park passes (hopper & MP) for $4,200. Also got the insurance in case of coronavirus lol. Going to splurge since it's our daughters first trip so I also did the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique with the Princess Breakfast right after. 

We're not much for fancy eating (especially with a 7 year old) so that's the only dining reservation I'm making other than Oga's Cantina. Anything else anyone would suggest for a splurge trip?

I booked four nights at the Grand Californian hotel with four day park passes (hopper & MP) for $4,200. Also got the insurance in case of coronavirus lol. Going to splurge since it's our daughters first trip so I also did the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique with the Princess Breakfast right after. 

We're not much for fancy eating (especially with a 7 year old) so that's the only dining reservation I'm making other than Oga's Cantina. Anything else anyone would suggest for a splurge trip?
Disneyland does not have all the options that Disneyworld has in terms of dining. I will tell you that Ogas is a snack place at best. Do not plan to make a meal out of it. 

We did enjoy eating at The Blue Bayou. It is located in Pirates of Caribbean ride and if you get a seat by the ride, you can wave to the riders. my kids like stuff like that. You can ask to wait for those seats. 

Downtown Disney has a bunch of places if you want to leave. I cant remember what we did for dinner at California Adventure. If I think about it, Ill let you know. But definitely plan to get a Jac Jac cookie num num. I can still taste it. Great cookie 

Disneyland does not have all the options that Disneyworld has in terms of dining. I will tell you that Ogas is a snack place at best. Do not plan to make a meal out of it. 

We did enjoy eating at The Blue Bayou. It is located in Pirates of Caribbean ride and if you get a seat by the ride, you can wave to the riders. my kids like stuff like that. You can ask to wait for those seats. 

Downtown Disney has a bunch of places if you want to leave. I cant remember what we did for dinner at California Adventure. If I think about it, Ill let you know. But definitely plan to get a Jac Jac cookie num num. I can still taste it. Great cookie 
Thanks for the tips!

I have no advice to offer, but my wife and I just booked four nights (with three day park) at the Grand Californian as well (with park hopper). Going in early May.  My son is a big Cars fan, so we're looking forward to checking out "Cars Land" there.  So, I'll be following along to the responses too.

We're starting off with three nights in Los Angeles.  I've never been.  I may start a thread on that one, as I don't see a good LA travel thread, but I'm open to thoughts from anybody on what we should include in itinerary there.

a bit late of an announcement, but it was reported last week that Cinderella's castle in MK will be getting a makeover. 

The castle will get a new pinkish paint job up on the secondary stories, and adding gold accenting to the edges and towers. 

Here is a side by side showing the current and new look

Work is expected to extend though the summer, so be prepared for that perfect castle shot to be a little less magical. although they are claiming that there will not be mush visual disruption besides some cranes unlike in Disneyland where the castle was scrimmed for a long while.

They do not expect any disruption to the fireworks and castle shows.

This is exactly what Disney is counting on IMO. You can bet that Disney is going to price the plan as if you are paying for 2 TS meals a day in the hopes that people will use some of them as QS and Disney will come out way ahead.
IDK....still seems odd. People are already leaving the DDP b/c the price may not make sense for you. I cant see how offering QS meals at TS prices (when you break it down pp) is a win? Unless they are going the other way and making the TS meals cheaper, or maybe reducing your selection down to a handful of selections and not the whole menu? I dig the flexibility option, but lets not forget, people book dining 180 days out....long gone are the days where you would be sitting in Epcot going, "hmmmm where do we want to eat today?" People pretty much have their meals set before they get there, so giving me the choice between a QS or TS is not really a choice we are making day-of. IDK, we will see. 

I just remembered that The Grand Californian has a character breakfast. Might be fun and a great way to get pics while waiting in zero lines
I did make that reservation already. Hefty price tag but I figure the memories are worth it, right? 

I have no advice to offer, but my wife and I just booked four nights (with three day park) at the Grand Californian as well (with park hopper). Going in early May.  My son is a big Cars fan, so we're looking forward to checking out "Cars Land" there.  So, I'll be following along to the responses too.

We're starting off with three nights in Los Angeles.  I've never been.  I may start a thread on that one, as I don't see a good LA travel thread, but I'm open to thoughts from anybody on what we should include in itinerary there.
I just got back from a work trip to Disneyland and Cars Land was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect it to be so well done, it was impressive. Make sure you get a fast pass early for the Radiator Springs ride, that line can get over two hours on busy days. 

I just got back from a work trip to Disneyland and Cars Land was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect it to be so well done, it was impressive. Make sure you get a fast pass early for the Radiator Springs ride, that line can get over two hours on busy days. 
That ride is one that we are trying to figure out.  The minimum height for it is 40". My son is currently 38". Hoping for a little bit of a growth spurt, or maybe we buy him some disco platform shoes.

I did make that reservation already. Hefty price tag but I figure the memories are worth it, right? 
Yes. They are great

One thing I will say. Dont feel like you need to be rushed. Like you said, you pay A LOT. If you want Mickey to take pics with everyone, do it

My wife and I just did this type of trip (LA and Disneyland) last year. A couple of suggestions off the top of my head for LA are the La Brea tar pits and the Griffith Observatory. Could also go to the beach at Santa Monica if warm enough. If I think of others I'll post them.

My wife and I just did this type of trip (LA and Disneyland) last year. A couple of suggestions off the top of my head for LA are the La Brea tar pits and the Griffith Observatory. Could also go to the beach at Santa Monica if warm enough. If I think of others I'll post them.
La Brea Tar pits are great. 

Learned that there was no saber tooth tiger there. Should be called a Saber tooth cat.

We went to a museum in LA that had the Cheers bar set and Star Trek command set. That was fun also 

Learned that there was no saber tooth tiger there. Should be called a Saber tooth cat.

We went to a museum in LA that had the Cheers bar set and Star Trek command set. That was fun also 
Do you remember the name of that museum? Would love to see both of those sets next time we are out there.

Do you remember which museum? Don’t think we’ll get to a studio tour because my son is too young for minimum age requirements, but that could be something Hollywood related.

roarlions said:
La Brea and Griffith were both on my preliminary list. Hope to hit those. Does Griffith have plenty to do during the day, or is it mostly a night spot? Imagine my toddler will get cranky early, particularly with the time change.

La Brea and Griffith were both on my preliminary list. Hope to hit those. Does Griffith have plenty to do during the day, or is it mostly a night spot? Imagine my toddler will get cranky early, particularly with the time change.
Lots to do day or night at the Observatory. There is a great planetarium with lots of shows, chances to safely observe the sun, lots of hands on stuff, and other typical displays/exhibits you would find in an observatory/planetarium. Also lots of stuff about earthquakes, tectonic plates, etc. Plus great views of the city.

Only real drawback is that you can't park right at the observatory. There is a long road leading to it and you often have to park along the road (paid parking) and then hike up the road to the observatory. Can be fine if it isn't raining or too hot, but young kid might not like it as much. Probably worth considering Uber or something like that to get dropped at the Observatory if the cost isn't too high.

Don Quixote said:
Do you remember which museum? Don’t think we’ll get to a studio tour because my son is too young for minimum age requirements, but that could be something Hollywood related.
You could get around that by doing a day at Universal Studios in LA. You can take studio tours there, not sure if they have age requirements since it is also a theme park. We saw the set from Friends while we were there.

roarlions said:
Do you remember the name of that museum? Would love to see both of those sets next time we are out there.

Don Quixote said:
Looks like the museum I went to is closed

https://www.seeing-stars.com/Museums/HollywoodEntertainment.shtml

BUT, it has reopened/rebranded and has some new stuff that might be good

http://thehollywoodmuseum.com/

Sorry to get your hopes up

glvsav37 said:
a bit late of an announcement, but it was reported last week that Cinderella's castle in MK will be getting a makeover. 

The castle will get a new pinkish paint job up on the secondary stories, and adding gold accenting to the edges and towers. 

Here is a side by side showing the current and new look

Work is expected to extend though the summer, so be prepared for that perfect castle shot to be a little less magical. although they are claiming that there will not be mush visual disruption besides some cranes unlike in Disneyland where the castle was scrimmed for a long while.

They do not expect any disruption to the fireworks and castle shows.
I remember my wife telling me maybe ~1.5 to 2 yrs ago that Cinderella's castle in MK was getting rebranded/renamed to be Ana & Elsa's castle.  Am I dreaming that?  I haven't heard anything about it since...maybe a publicity stunt to take advantage of the Frozen-lovers that visit these days?

I remember my wife telling me maybe ~1.5 to 2 yrs ago that Cinderella's castle in MK was getting rebranded/renamed to be Ana & Elsa's castle.  Am I dreaming that?  I haven't heard anything about it since...maybe a publicity stunt to take advantage of the Frozen-lovers that visit these days?
They turn it into the Frozen castle for the holidays, as part of the Christmas light show.  That could have been what she was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a rumor started when frozen was lighting hot and they were looking to turn any surface in something Anna and Elsa.   Of course it pissed off the frozen haters.  But no it was never actually in the plans as far as I know. 

On the travel insurance piece, what kind of policy did you get?  The stuff that I was reading said that coronavirus generally not covered by standard policies because of an exclusion for epidemics.  Did you get cancel for any reason?

Users who are viewing this thread