What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

My kids are the right age for this. Do we know if this will be a huge attraction this month?  I need to make some choices on fast passes. Too young to care about SW, but between this, toy story mania, Slinky Dog ride, Hollywood is still getting tricky to prioritize. 
I would be shocked if it’s not instantly a premier attraction. Hopefully Hollywood is starting to have enough major attractions that things spread out a bit and take some strain off of more popular rides there. Of course, if they’re just going to draw people away from the other parks, it could just get worse.

I would be shocked if it’s not instantly a premier attraction. Hopefully Hollywood is starting to have enough major attractions that things spread out a bit and take some strain off of more popular rides there. Of course, if they’re just going to draw people away from the other parks, it could just get worse.
Toy Story Mania is great ...but the wait is so, so bad.  

What are some good in park dining options for MK, studios and Epcot, something I need to book 

does not need to be character dinners, just something for 3 boys 7 8 11

What are some good in park dining options for MK, studios and Epcot, something I need to book 

Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge is a short boat ride from the MK. Ask for ketchup. YWIA

ETA: Looks like the ketchup shtick is played. 

Last edited by a moderator:

MK: Not much in the park. The plaza is a good, simple stand by or Tony's town square (but dont expect to be blown away by it) 
If you can leave the park and hop the monorail or resort boat, then Ohana at the Polynesian is your best bet, but just warning, you may have a hard time walking afterward. Also in Polly is Kona Cafe, bonus b/c they have the same amazing bread pudding that they serve at Ohana. 

Epcot: Garden Grill is a character meal, but its a cool restaurant where it is on a big rotating platform and so technically you are moving (slowly) while you eat. Outside of that, hit any of the countries based on your tastes. The restaurant in Mexico is cool, b/c you feel like you are dining outside but are actually inside the temple. Japan has a good hibachi restaurant or you can just do the table service with some really good Bento Boxes.

My choice though is to leave Epcot though the international gateway exit and hit Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. Its a 2 min walk and there for dinner they have a full fish/seafood buffet with some of the best, bottomless crab legs I've ever eaten. 

Studios is where your 2 coolest restaurants are.
1. Sci Fi dine in. The kids would have a blast here. It is set up like an old drive in movie theater and all the tables are in 50's style cars that face a huge screen showing old black and white cheesy monster movie clips. 
2. is 50s prime time cafe. It may be more your speed, but it is set up Iike your grandmother's kitchen with the bad silver and formica tables, B&W TVs on the tables and all the servers are your "cousins" and they make sure you are finishing all your vegetables and keeping your elbows off the table. 

if you cant find the reservation you want, don't worry. Use https://mousedining.com/ to put in some times and it will keep checking to see if those dates/times open up...you need to be fast though once you get the text. 

Be our Guest
got to be careful here....BOG dinner is now a signature dining meal that costs 2 dining plan credits. Or if it it is lunch or breakfast, its basically a sit-down quick serve that you need to book ahead of time. 

MK has so few good actual dining locations given its actual size

got to be careful here....BOG dinner is now a signature dining meal that costs 2 dining plan credits. Or if it it is lunch or breakfast, its basically a sit-down quick serve that you need to book ahead of time. 

They had a chance with the jungle cruise place but there is literally nothing on that menu that entices me. 

By far the most magical place there; but yes cost could be a concern. Same for California Grill overlooking the park. 

By far the most magical place there; but yes cost could be a concern. Same for California Grill overlooking the park. 
agreed....and that highlights why they had to make it signature. The location is indeed amazing, so well done. But it also shines a spotlight on how bad the other options are that you had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting an ADR here. It was sooooo popular, that the only way to think the demand was to make it more expensive and so by default turn people off from it. 

They had a chance with the jungle cruise place but there is literally nothing on that menu that entices me. 
I so wanted this to work. As a big JC fan, this could have been amazing, but I just cant justify it with the way my kids eat. I may have to visit on my next  solo trip. 

The Disney Institute is taking their training on the road this year. No cities near me, but maybe one of your guys might be interested. 

Disney’s Approach to Business Excellence, a one-day Disney Institute professional development course

About the U.S. Regional Courses
Presented live and in person by professional Disney Institute facilitators, the one-day Disney’s Approach to Business Excellence Course offers participants the opportunity to discover proven Disney business insights that can be adapted and applied to their own organizations to achieve greater results.

Throughout these day-long training sessions, Disney Institute facilitators will share the following key concepts:  

How to proactively lead with values and vision

How to maintain a workplace culture created by design

How to establish and deliver consistent quality service

How feedback and continuous improvement can propel innovation

Pricing, Registration and Other Details
Click here to learn more or register for the upcoming 2020 U.S. regional Disney Institute courses taking place in select U.S. cities. Standard registration* is $499 per participant. The course includes a full day of signature Disney Institute training (from approximately 9:00 am-5:00 pm) delivered onsite by official Disney Institute facilitators, accompanying course materials, networking opportunities with fellow business professionals, theater seating, a boxed lunch and a refreshment break served onsite. Participants will earn Disney Institute Alumni status, which grants them access to future specially priced Disney Institute learning events, courses and products.*Special pricing of $449 per participant is available for Students and Teachers, Employees of Non-Profit Organizations and Military/Government employees.
April 29, 2020 – Redwood City, California (San Francisco area) 
May 6, 2020 – Albuquerque, New Mexico
May 13, 2020 – Columbus, Ohio
May 14, 2020 – Columbus, Ohio - NEW!
May 20, 2020 – Portland, Oregon
June 1, 2020 – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - NEW!
June 3, 2020 – Lexington, Kentucky (Louisville area) 
June 8, 2020 – Merriam, Kansas (Kansas City area) - NEW!
June 10, 2020 – West Jordan, Utah (Salt Lake City area)
June 17, 2020 – Davenport, Iowa
June 24, 2020 – Tarentum, Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area)
July 15, 2020 – Plano, Texas (Dallas area)
July 22, 2020 – Evanston, Illinois (Chicago area)
August 24, 2020 – Little Rock, Arkansas - NEW!
August 26, 2020 – Las Vegas, Nevada - NEW!
September 21, 2020 – Tucson, Arizona - NEW! 
September 23, 2020 – West Springfield, Massachusetts - NEW!
September 28, 2020 – Lakewood, Colorado (Denver area) - NEW!

Space 220 restaurant possibly opening in April 

France's Ratatouille attraction may be opening in June, its already been added to the park map 

I wonder if and when the corona virus impacts attendance at the parks.
Not yet but I do see chatter on some networks with people contemplating canceling their trips. 

ive seen reports where they have CMs wiping down the finger scanners at the turnstiles after each person uses it. 

The Asian parks are closed right now, it will be very interesting to watch what the domestic parks do. 

Not yet but I do see chatter on some networks with people contemplating canceling their trips. 

ive seen reports where they have CMs wiping down the finger scanners at the turnstiles after each person uses it. 

The Asian parks are closed right now, it will be very interesting to watch what the domestic parks do. 
IMO, if im going to get the stupid virus, might as well get it on rise of the resistance than in shoprite 

Outside of a self quarantine it looks like we are both screwed anyway with the state of emergency. 

IMO, if im going to get the stupid virus, might as well get it on rise of the resistance than in shoprite 

Outside of a self quarantine it looks like we are both screwed anyway with the state of emergency. 
meh...SOE is mostly to get more federal money. But I hear you, i'm expecting a few days of everyone being home while this blows over. 

Anybody been to City Works Eatery & Pour House?  Wife has reservations and trying to decide whether to keep it or look for something else.  

We were just notified that the cruise we had lined up for June is suspended. (I'm not sure if the cruises are all suspended or just the make a wish foundation slots)

So now we get to choose whether to wait until the cruise starts back up and get the 4 day deal, or to do 7-10 days at the parks. This will be through give kids the world. 

So, now we need to decide whether to do the "give kids the world" experience, which includes two days at universal and a day at Sea world, or the cruise, without knowing when the cruise will be going again. 

Most likely we would not do the cruise without the program. The wife is leaning towards waiting for the cruise, I'm on the fence but cruises don't appeal to me really at all. Daughter (the person this is for) doesn't really care, she's just excited about any of it. 

WWYD? 

Fwiw, make a wish and St Jude's are our charities of choice. 

Any suggestions/tips/recommendations for Disney Animal Kingdom?

I'll be in a group of four (2 male, 2 female...youngest is 17).

I assume the Avatar rides will be the busiest?

Without question. Get there early, head right over to Pandora, spend the rest of the day hitting the other rides. Return to Pandora at night. 

I'll continue to throw Liberty Tree Tavern out there for MK.  It's served family style and pretty good, but you have to be in the mood for that sort of food.  It's not terribly tough to get into even if you don't have a reservation.

I'll continue to throw Liberty Tree Tavern out there for MK.  It's served family style and pretty good, but you have to be in the mood for that sort of food.  It's not terribly tough to get into even if you don't have a reservation.
Seconded.  We've never had a bad meal there, and I never knew I liked root vegetables so much until I went there.  

DAK is a very misunderstood park. It is not meant to be your typical go-go-ride theme park. It is supposed to be a cross between zoo and theme park and should be experienced as such—slowly and taking in the details and animals 

Yes, the marque attraction here is Flight of Passage (FOP) in Avatarland. If you dont have FastPasses for it, then try and get there very early and go where everyone is going .It will eat some of your morning time, but it will be the best time to get on w/the least interruption of your day. A lot of the shows at DAK happen mid-day and close early, so soaking up time waiting for Flight of Passage will cut your opportunity to see those short. IMO, unless you dont like thrill rides, you can skip the Navi River Journey, but thats my opinion. 

After you do FOP, the park is meant to be explored.  Depending on the posted wait times, I would kick over to the safari and enjoy that. You will get such a shot of feeling like you are in Africa that it will set you up mentally for the rest of the day. While in the Africa section, keep an eye on Festival of the Lion King showtimes—It is not to be missed and doing it early will keep you from having to criss cross the park, b/c the layout is not very friendly for that type of walking. 

After you hang in Africa, take in one of the live entertainment acts, loop around to Asia and work toward Expedition Everest. Stop off and enjoy the Maharajah Jungle Trek Trail for some good animal viewing and some cool animal artifacts. 

Go to Everest and ride that. There is a single rider line there that moves much faster than waiting on standby, downside is you cant ride together. 

Depending on time of day and your schedule, you may want to take in a showing of Nemo....now while it is a really great show, you reeeeeeeeally need to like the movie, b/c its a 45 minute rehashing of if. The parts are played with huge puppets operated by the actor, so thats really cool, but it is a long show and unfavorably long for a theme park. Play this one by ear and leverage your interest in it overall. 

If you choose not to go, shoot from Everest back toward Discovery Island and circle the base of the Tree of Life to go see Tough to be a Bug. Really fun 4D show. 

Cross over to Dinoland and ride dinosaur and then you've done all your "Must do's" in the park. 

To mix the day in: 
• I'm not a fan of Kali River Rapids, I just dont like being wet, so ride this if you dig that type of thing.
• Skip at all costs the bird show. It use to be great but now changed and it stinks. 
• Try and find DeVine, she's the great secret of DAK
• Rafiki's planet watch is cool, but you have to take a train to get there and it just zaps a lot of time. Plus it closes at 5 so you really have to put it at the front of your day. However it is interesting and with older kids you may want to check out the animal care and hospital exhibit there. Also they have a class where you can draw a character along with a Disney Artist
• Look at everything. Nothing in that park is there on accident. more than any other park, the imagineers traveled the globe to find artifacts and items to bring back or copy.
• Go back and visit Pandora at night, it takes on a whole new look. 

So here's my last thought. I'm not here to spends your money, but with an older group, you may want to look into doing something really off the normal charts—take a tour. They offer a few paid for experiences that you wont get by just 'going to the park.' Some of these get you very close to the animals, get to hear from animal care experts and learn  about their care and protocalls, and even walk on a rope bridge above the safari. You can learn more here https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/animal-kingdom/

I was at Hollywood Studios two days ago and it was as packed as ever.  150+ minute waits on several rides early in the morning.

Obviously a lot has changed in the last few hours though.  I'm guessing Disney shuts the parks down here pretty soon.

Any word on Disney closing due to the virus?  My wife and daughter fly there tomorrow for a cheer competition.
Brother!  We need to install some bat phones between our households.  First year experiencing this stuff and it's crazy.  Headed to Jax this weekend for one.  I don't think these cheer groups will cancel ANYTHING unless forced to.  In fact, I am confident they will have 8 ounce bottles of hand sanitizer on sale for $50 a bottle.  What a racquet that whole scene is.  

To your overall point, I haven't heard any major reports on even a reduction in traffic at the parks.  We are planning to go a couple days next week during the kids' spring break.  Guess I need to pay more attention.  Was kind of hoping this would be the time things thin out and we can get on the SW ride at HS....we took advantage of the hurricane bearing down on us last year to get on Smuggler's Run.  :lol:  

AAABatteries said:
Any word on Disney closing due to the virus?  My wife and daughter fly there tomorrow for a cheer competition.
I thought dance competition was bad......at least our comp this weekend was canceled. That's insane.

AAABatteries said:
My inlaws are flying in next week.  The wife and I are supposed to join them for a park or two.  Guess we'll see....

Waiting for next month’s race weekend to be cancelled or extremely limited at EPCOT. 

As mentioned in the main thread, this is going to impact the CMs financially the hardest.  Disney as a company needs to step up and help their CMs financially.  For a company that annually profits in the Billions, it can take one on the chin for the benefit of their front line, lowest paid employees.  

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Wow, Disney World closed now.
Im actually surprised it took this long.

You have a place designed to bring in people from all over this country and other countries and put them in close proximity.

Good on them for realizing it now and losing a lot of money in the process...

On the personal note...son is at Universal for a band/drumline trip.  They got to the park today...thankfully they are coming back Sunday already...as Universal seems to be mirroring Disney and shutting down Sunday.  Happy he is getting a few days there to celebrate a great year as their remaining drum competitions have already been canceled and the kids were very bummed about that.  So far, they are having a great time.

So much for my family's spring break trip to Orlando next week.  We were supposed to spend 2 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal Studios.  We'll get our money back for cancelling our flights, but still trying to figure out what our options are for the park tickets that we already bought.  My wife was looking at it a little last night and it appears with WDW at least that they won't do refunds, but the tickets are valid through 2021 or 2022?  Anyone got specifics on how that works exactly?

So much for my family's spring break trip to Orlando next week.  We were supposed to spend 2 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal Studios.  We'll get our money back for cancelling our flights, but still trying to figure out what our options are for the park tickets that we already bought.  My wife was looking at it a little last night and it appears with WDW at least that they won't do refunds, but the tickets are valid through 2021 or 2022?  Anyone got specifics on how that works exactly?
Tickets are good forever.  You just have to pay the differential between current price and what you paid if there is a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread