What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's a good short vacation destination (solo)? (1 Viewer)

It doesn’t fit your warm in winter or cooler in summer, but DC fits most of your other needs. Should be able to get reasonable quick flights. Decent hotels are available at reasonable rates. Each cheap transportation and lots of easily walkable great stuff to see and do. Food and drink can be a little pricey, but there are cheaper options to find.
DC might be interesting. Haven't been there since my middle school field trip when I was too young and stupid to appreciate anything
You can easily spend the entire time at the Mall. Between the free Smithsonian museums that are filled with cool stuff and the monuments, there’s plenty to do.

Buffalo or Syracuse would be big enough to find something to do.
Niagra Falls? That would be cool for a weekend.
Can't plan ahead because of lake effect snow, but if one's schedule is flexible you can stay on the NY side for < $100 on a winter weekend day (4 star) then walk across the bridge for a buck.
If I was gonna do something in those areas, I'd wait till summer
I would too, but you want to do 2-3 days for 'well under a grand' and you'll pay that for hotel alone in summer. Allow me to introduce you to prices in the year 2023...
Boooooo

It doesn’t fit your warm in winter or cooler in summer, but DC fits most of your other needs. Should be able to get reasonable quick flights. Decent hotels are available at reasonable rates. Each cheap transportation and lots of easily walkable great stuff to see and do. Food and drink can be a little pricey, but there are cheaper options to find.
DC might be interesting. Haven't been there since my middle school field trip when I was too young and stupid to appreciate anything
You can easily spend the entire time at the Mall. Between the free Smithsonian museums that are filled with cool stuff and the monuments, there’s plenty to do.
May have been too close to me to suggest it as I work in DC, and live just across the river in Alexandria. But, yeah, lots of good options to choose from and stuff to do. Not as many breweries as could find in some other cities, but okay scene that wise. Just avoid it here when those ******* cherry blossoms are in bloom.

Can't plan ahead because of lake effect snow, but if one's schedule is flexible you can stay on the NY side for < $100 on a winter weekend day (4 star) then walk across the bridge for a buck.
I would too, but you want to do 2-3 days for 'well under a grand' and you'll pay that for hotel alone in summer. Allow me to introduce you to prices in the year 2023...
Boooooo
Nashville or somewhere in Florida are your obvious choices.

Out of the box spots would be a cheap all inclusive spot (dominican, mexico), or maybe a spot like Phoenix?

Boooooo
Nashville or somewhere in Florida are your obvious choices.

Out of the box spots would be a cheap all inclusive spot (dominican, mexico), or maybe a spot like Phoenix?
I was just in Phoenix a couple weeks ago. My dad lives there.

I'm not gonna even really need a "decent" hotel. I'm probably gonna be too drunk to care about where I'm sleeping, as long as it's a room to myself with a bed.

I'm not gonna even really need a "decent" hotel. I'm probably gonna be too drunk to care about where I'm sleeping, as long as it's a room to myself with a bed.
"There's no place like home...There's no place like home ...There's no place like home..," just grab a local hotel.

A cruise! Even though, the 3 day ones are pretty much a booze cruise but still fun.

It checks quite a bit of your interests you listed, relaxed social atmosphere and plenty of booze being the top

A cruise! Even though, the 3 day ones are pretty much a booze cruise but still fun.

It checks quite a bit of your interests you listed, relaxed social atmosphere and plenty of booze being the top
Drunken fights over the pool chairs as a bonus!

This is the answer. It might not be that great by yourself, but if you like gambling or playing poker you could go on a 2 or 3 binge.

I'll fly as cheaply as possible, stay in one of the cheapest lodgings possible for the area, and I don't need to eat fancy meals.
This sounds like an awesome vacation.
Or like staying home

Exactly, then he realizes he spent 800 dollars for a relaxing weekend of McDonald's, Pabst blue ribbon and a ****ty mattress that has bed bugs or hurt his back in a sketchy neighborhood. Seems like a dream.
No my fault you have no imagination or creativity to figure out how to have fun without spending a fortune.

So my fault for trying to help you out and and give you ideas. Carry on.

You provided no help and provided exactly zero ideas.

All you did is talk about how it can't be done and how it will suck

It helps if you read the posts in the thread you started.
Not the first time

I know. He used to do this in the NBA thread as well when LeBron was on the Cavs, but I am a sucker for trying to help when I can.

Funny part is I am in Key West right now enjoying vacation and reading football guys while drinking a pina coloda.
And he’s enjoying his vacation in Akron, enjoying the Wi-Fi at a local McDonalds, sipping a frosty.
That would be Wendy’s my friend.

My days of booze/cocaine/hooker benders are in the rear view mirror. If I have 3-4 days off I would prefer to spend it hiking solo for 10-20 miles a day, eating re-hydrated beans & fritos, and sleeping on the ground with nothing between me and nocturnal apex predators but a thin piece of silnylon.

Within a 5-6 hour drive of you are Dolly Sods Wilderness, Shenandoah NP, and Red River Gorge. All would make a great place for 2-3 days/nights of unplugging and re-charging the spirit.

Places with fairly easy fly in, shuttle/uber to trail head, 2-3 nights in the wilderness include: Asheville/Pisgah NF or GSMNP, Phoenix/Superstition Mountains or Phoenix>Flag/Grand Canyon NP, Albuquerque>Santa Fe/Pecos Wilderness.

Last edited:
Knoxville, TN. My brother lives in Farragut and I just love visiting him. Downtown Knoxville is so much fun and it’s only an hour away from hiking and moonshine tasting. Plenty of people watching as well (but not eye candy)…
I will second Knoxville, but the weather may not be in the 70's-80's at that point. If you're a beer guy there are a lot of awesome breweries (some of them walking distance from one another).

Nashville is fun and all but the hotels are wicked expensive, especially if you want to stay near the heart of all the action. If you don't mind staying in the hinterlands and Ubering downtown maybe that can be mitigated slightly.

I feel lucky that I get mini-vacations like this every month for work. Not always the most luxurious accommodations nor glitzy locales but getting away for a night or two every so often really hits the reset button in a good way.

Hope you find something fun.

One of my high school best friends lives in Knoxville. I was there like 20 years ago visiting. It's nice there. The people were so nice compared to the Cleveland area.

extending your flight a little, but could an all-inclusive in the Yucatan fit your budget? would not need to worry about food or drink for your trip

I don’t know how long the flight is but Myrtle Beach may fit your need and budget, otherwise. There’s some fun eating, drinking and live music in Merle’s Inlet - lots of places to chose from.

I don’t know how long the flight is but Myrtle Beach may fit your need and budget, otherwise. There’s some fun eating, drinking and live music in Merle’s Inlet - lots of places to chose from.
I assumed he didn’t want to be around other Ohioans, which means Myrtle is out.

Bourbon tours in Kentucky
Can't do it. Any liquor gives me a hangover, unless it's maybe a couple ounces of sippin whiskey like some macallan or something.
Beer?
Beer and/or wine. Yum.
I'm a cheap drinker though. I am perfectly cool with miller lite.

If you dig beer, I will reiterate my recommendation for Knoxville. I've had the pleasure of going there on work trips three separate times and have really enjoyed each time there.

Maybe visit your long-lost buddy?

If it's something you'd consider I can list out the breweries I've been to and a great place for some unique pizza. And @Joe Bryant lives there and could give way better recommendations than me.

Good luck!

So right now leaning Nashville.
Wheres the best area to stay to be able to walk everywhere?
Music, beer, maybe some sights.....

Probably in May

Broadway is your answer if you want walking distance for a bazillion tourist bars, honky tonks, etc. Germantown is an option for great restaurants and Uber to Broadway when you want that experience but you don't have to live it 24/7 while there. Wherever you stay, be sure to catch brunch at Monell's.

Probably in May
There are a million VRBO condos within a few blocks of Broadway
Well, I guess the question is, what is the central spot to all the places to go?
Once I know that, then I can find a place near it.
Broadway.
Just curious, which part of Broadway is the "best"? Over by Johnny Cash museum? First art museum?

Probably in May
Well, I guess the question is, what is the central spot to all the places to go?
Broadway.
Just curious, which part of Broadway is the "best"? Over by Johnny Cash museum? First art museum?
It's like four blocks long.

Probably in May
Broadway.
This has gotta be schtick

Loved Nashville. Didn't love the food, but the party atmosphere was wild. Tons of bachelorette parties.

New Orleans had better food, but it was dirty and I felt less safe there.

I want to check out Key West.

If I was doing a solo, I'd do Vegas but I like to gamble.

Probably in May
Broadway.
If it isn't then we definitely know why he is vacationing solo.

Probably in May
Broadway.
If it isn't then we definitely know why he is vacationing solo.
WTF relax. I didn't realize at the time what the distance of the area was that I was looking at.
Jesus people.

Whelp, looks like it's gonna be Vegas in May. Gonna see the Pearl Jam show while I'm there.
The trip is gonna run me more than a grand probably since I'm going to the concert, but F it.
What's the cheapest place to stay out there where I won't get mugged or killed? I was looking at Excalibur.

Whelp, looks like it's gonna be Vegas in May. Gonna see the Pearl Jam show while I'm there.
The trip is gonna run me more than a grand probably since I'm going to the concert, but F it.
What's the cheapest place to stay out there where I won't get mugged or killed? I was looking at Excalibur.
Stay off strip for better prices. Hell I'd stay downtown instead of the strip if those are the 2 options.

Golden Nugget would be my vote.

Golden Nugget would be my vote.
Username checks out.

Good luck getting out of Vegas or Nashville under 1K when you are staying 3 nights. Both cites are ridiculously expensive right now. It is hard to go to a casual fast food joint and not spend $50.

Vegas: I'd look into a hotel downtown or even Ellis Island. Way cheaper rates, but off the strip. Both are easy uber rides to the strip if you wanted to go.
Nashville: Last time I went we stayed at Moxy which is close to Kid Rock's bar, great location, rooms were a little small. Normally we stay at the Hilton for rewards, but it is a little walk away from Broadway.

Good luck getting out of Vegas or Nashville under 1K when you are staying 3 nights. Both cites are ridiculously expensive right now. It is hard to go to a casual fast food joint and not spend $50.

Vegas: I'd look into a hotel downtown or even Ellis Island. Way cheaper rates, but off the strip. Both are easy uber rides to the strip if you wanted to go.
Nashville: Last time I went we stayed at Moxy which is close to Kid Rock's bar, great location, rooms were a little small. Normally we stay at the Hilton for rewards, but it is a little walk away from Broadway.
I'm staying two nights. I've changed my budget to $1500 due to the concert which will run me about 200 for a ticket and guessing a beer is 20 bucks. Plus some extra for gambling.
Two nights at Excalibur (15 minute walk to MGM Grand Garden Arena where the concert is) looks to be like 250 total for the two nights (that does include resort fees I believe).
So far flight 260, concert 200, hotel 250, about 60 for airport parking and maybe 50 for Lyft rides.
Leaves me 700 for food, booze, and some bets, plus souvenirs of course.

The zombie burlesque show looks interesting.

I'm staying two nights. I've changed my budget to $1500 due to the concert which will run me about 200 for a ticket and guessing a beer is 20 bucks. Plus some extra for gambling.
Two nights at Excalibur (15 minute walk to MGM Grand Garden Arena where the concert is) looks to be like 250 total for the two nights (that does include resort fees I believe).
So far flight 260, concert 200, hotel 250, about 60 for airport parking and maybe 50 for Lyft rides.

Be sure to slow play video poker for free booze....otherwise that $ 700 won't last...beers bought at bars are now about $ 10 and cocktails $ 13-15

Be sure to slow play video poker for free booze....otherwise that $ 700 won't last...beers bought at bars are now about $ 10 and cocktails $ 13-15
Stupid Vegas.
Anywhere to buy a 12 pack in a store?

Users who are viewing this thread