What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's a good short vacation destination (solo)? (2 Viewers)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
For the last few years my brother gets out of the house and goes on a 2-3 day vacation on his own. He seems to love it.
I have been considering doing the same, just not sure where I'd want to go.
I'd be on my own, and I do NOT have expensive tastes, so there would be no need for me to spend a lot of money. I'd almost expect to spend as much on booze as I would on the destination itself, flight included. Id like to spend well under a grand for everything (flight, lodging, tickets, booze .........).

I live in Ohio and don't want anything more than a 2-3 hour flight. If I'm only going somewhere like 2 nights I don't want 15 hours of travel time.

Some interests or things to look for: beer, wine, music, nice weather (70s-80s), relaxed social atmosphere, maybe some sights, nice areas to walk around. Maybe something by water.

Ideally most everything walking distance from where I'm sleeping.

I'm 43, married with kids so not looking for hookups, though eye candy is always appreciated.

Where's the most bang for my buck gonna be?

Open to creativity here. I'm open to new and interesting things to do.

If you want temperatures of 70-80 & within a 2/3 hour flight from the Midwest it obviously depends on the time of year. But, (given your preferences w/ outside the box ideas)…. Annapolis, MD in June. You’d be there before peak season and on the water (but before it gets hot/humid). Some nightlife w/o overwhelming crowds of kids. Depending on musical tastes, you can check the schedule for Ram’s Head Tavern.

Last edited:
If you like bourbon for booze, maybe down to Kentucky and reserve tours/tastings at some distilleries. I like Bardstown area where you would have to drive between distilleries, but it does have a quaint downtown for the evening — Louisville has a decent number of distilleries close to downtown that are walkable. Not really party areas or by the water (well, besides the Ohio River), but if you just want a cool booze-centered experience that could be an option.

Knoxville, TN. My brother lives in Farragut and I just love visiting him. Downtown Knoxville is so much fun and it’s only an hour away from hiking and moonshine tasting. Plenty of people watching as well (but not eye candy)…

Nashville. The music is fantastic and there is eye candy everywhere. You best be prepared to walk away from temptation though. The women are bold and are looking for a good time.

Atlantic City. Seems to check most of your boxes including being by water. I don't know what flight options are like from Ohio.

This is the answer. It might not be that great by yourself, but if you like gambling or playing poker you could go on a 2 or 3 binge.
I LOVE Vegas by myself
Me too. Just grab a nice hotel, grab some killer food, sit in a sports book, heck golf by yourself in good weather… the best. I was actually commenting to a coworker the other day that when you get above 30 and married with kids and stuff these just one night getaways where you just get to be in a nice place by yourself is amazingly refreshing (when like 25 year old me would find that odd).

As to the OP, I think anywhere in a very nice hotel or lodging with a good restaurant or two nearby would do the trick. If you’re in Ohio maybe hit Chicago and stay by the inner harbor or wrigleyville or some such and just spend your days walking around and hitting local food spots sounds great. But really it’s more so getting the quality lodging (or, heck, finding a great camping spot if that’s your thing) near something you’re interested in is more important than the actual location.

:lmao: at wanting to spend "well under a grand", all-in. So forget about flying anywhere. Just drive to friggin' Cleveland and go to the Rock 'n Roll HOF. Still might cost you close to a grand, though, since hotels and booze both count. I would expect to find many good bars, though, as the demand from those having to live in Cleveland must be fairly strong.

:lmao: at wanting to spend "well under a grand", all-in. So forget about flying anywhere. Just drive to friggin' Cleveland and go to the Rock 'n Roll HOF. Still might cost you close to a grand, though, since hotels and booze both count. I would expect to find many good bars, though, as the demand from those having to live in Cleveland must be fairly strong.

I missed the well under a grand part. I retract my post.

Going to have to stay local. There is no way you are getting 3 nights and a flight with meals, booze, entertainment etc for under a grand. You would be hard pressed to do it under 2 grand.

?? Flights can be had for 200-300 basically anywhere

You’re right that the number is low, but Allegiant flies direct from Cincinnati to New Orleans for under $200, and there are multiple hotels in the $100-200/ night range. So that leaves $4-600 for food and entertainment.

Seems doable to me?

Not Vegas.
As for time of year, I don't even know when I can go, just looking for ideas now.
My brother is a roller coaster fanatic so he goes places with parks. I don't like roller coasters anywhere near that level, and would not be looking to ride any.

Hey...Hey...Hey... It's not that bad

You’re right that the number is low, but Allegiant flies direct from Cincinnati to New Orleans for under $200, and there are multiple hotels in the $100-200/ night range. So that leaves $4-600 for food and entertainment.

Seems doable to me?

3 nights at 150 a night is 450 and 200 for flight is 650. How do you stay well under a grand when you are 650 in just getting there and lodging?

With more spent on booze than the flight/destination. $500 on booze in 2 days...that's boss!

Seems doable to me?

3 nights at 150 a night is 450 and 200 for flight is 650. How do you stay well under a grand when you are 650 in just getting there and lodging?
Ill easily find lodging under 150 a night

Seems doable to me?

I thought two nights, 3 days. And the flights are well under $200 - there is an $80 direct Dec 8-10 on Kayak. A four star hotel in the French Quarter is available for $99/night on Hotwire.

And a single dude can eat for less than $50/day fairly easily.

Last edited:
With more spent on booze than the flight/destination. $500 on booze in 2 days...that's boss!
Booze, food, entertainment....

A stop at Slyman’s is a must too imo

Booze, food, entertainment....
You could come here to Williamsburg. Got the historic triangle (Wburg, Jamestown, Yorktown), Busch Gardens, Water Country, Great Wolf Lodge (sometimes cheap deals can be had), VA Beach, ocean, bay, rivers, mountains only a couple hours away, and for the booze you could have this guy tote you around https://www.andrewsbeercrawls.com/

Seems doable to me?

Okay, still have food, entertainment, booze, taxis/Ubers/car rentals. You have a wife and kids so you have to get them something on your trip. Plus a random t shirt or something you want.

If you are counting money that closely, then you will be enjoying less than just going and having a good time.

Seems doable to me?

Okay, still have food, entertainment, booze, taxis/Ubers/car rentals. You have a wife and kids so you have to get them something on your trip. Plus a random t shirt or something you want.

If you are counting money that closely, then you will be enjoying less than just going and having a good time.
Not getting souvenirs. No car rental. Probably not gonna use Uber or Lyft much.

I don't need to count money to keep spending down. I'm frugal when it comes to spending on myself. It's habit. I don't even really think about it.

The money part isn't gonna be difficult as long as the flight, getting a ride to and from the airport to where I'm going, and lodging don't cost a ton.
It shouldnt. I'll fly as cheaply as possible, stay in one of the cheapest lodgings possible for the area, and I don't need to eat fancy meals.

Seems doable to me?

Not getting souvenirs. No car rental. Probably not gonna use Uber or Lyft much.

I don't need to count money to keep spending down. I'm frugal when it comes to spending on myself. It's habit. I don't even really think about it.
I'm more interested in how your budget holds up than what you're doing.

I'll fly as cheaply as possible, stay in one of the cheapest lodgings possible for the area, and I don't need to eat fancy meals.
This sounds like an awesome vacation.
Being away from every responsibility I have for a couple days sounds awesome no matter what I do or where I go.

Luckily I have beer taste and a champagne budget, and not the other way around.

I'm quite low maintenance

I'll fly as cheaply as possible, stay in one of the cheapest lodgings possible for the area, and I don't need to eat fancy meals.
Or like staying home

Exactly, then he realizes he spent 800 dollars for a relaxing weekend of McDonald's, Pabst blue ribbon and a ****ty mattress that has bed bugs or hurt his back in a sketchy neighborhood. Seems like a dream.

Or like staying home

Exactly, then he realizes he spent 800 dollars for a relaxing weekend of McDonald's, Pabst blue ribbon and a ****ty mattress that has bed bugs or hurt his back in a sketchy neighborhood. Seems like a dream.
No my fault you have no imagination or creativity to figure out how to have fun without spending a fortune.

Being away from every responsibility I have for a couple days sounds awesome no matter what I do or where I go.
Just drive to the nearest town that has a motel 6 and a cracker barrel
Driving somewhere close to here is definitely an option. I'm in northeast Ohio.
However, I was ideally thinking of going somewhere either warm in the wintertime, or if it was summer time then some place that isn't 115 degrees

Seems doable to me?

I agree it’s cheap. But I think it’s possible, while still having a good time.

To be fair, I wouldn’t be souvenir shopping, am willing to walk, and like hole-in-the-wall eateries.

However, I was ideally thinking of going somewhere either warm in the wintertime, or if it was summer time then some place that isn't 115 degrees
I'd definitely go during winter just to break up that a bit. That's what I do. How about Austin?

I'd definitely go during winter just to break up that a bit. That's what I do. How about Austin?
I don't see any direct flights from Cleveland. That's an issue

Users who are viewing this thread