What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Give me US football trip location ideas (1 Viewer)

titusbramble

Footballguy
Afternoon FFA, contemplating a trip to the States in either 24 or 25, with the main purpose of watching live football - for background, I want to do more or less the same sort of itinerary I did in 2019, namely fly out late one week, watch a college game Saturday then an NFL game Sunday, spend midweek in some interim city, then repeat the Saturday/Sunday with another two games. Last time I watched Northwestern and the Bears, then Cal and the Raiders. I'm looking at this stage for locations where this is viable.

Restrictions/considerations:

- Have already been to NYC ages ago and have no desire to revisit, so Giants/Jets are off the table
- Similarly, Bears and 49ers are off the table given previous visit covered Chicago and the Bay Area and I would like to visit somewhere new
- Other places I've been to are Boston, Philadelphia and Vegas, but not to watch games so more open to a redo on those places
- I do not drive, so please don't suggest something like "Saints and LSU obviously" if there is not an easy way to get between New Orleans and Baton Rouge without a car (and even if I did drive, I'd be drinking anyway)
- Would ideally want to watch games in two distinct stadia rather than something like a Raiders/UNLV suggestion where they play at the same place, although I am going to assume that in most situations like that they alternate home weekends anyway
- Do not care about moderate levels of cold. I live in the UK so it is fine up to a point. Top deck of Soldier Field in November was fine. Lambeau in December might be more questionable, actual time of year of visit is yet undecided but assume any location not ruled out above is viable at any time
- In a perfect world I'd like to be able to get tickets without paying a huge multiplier above face value, but for something I'm probably not doing again, I can stretch somewhat as a one off assuming there is availability. Do not want something like "well I can get you to Tuscaloosa but tickets are going to cost you $500 IF they appear on the secondary market"
- Destination having a decent beer scene and/or other sporting attractions that can be tacked on around the football would be a bonus but not a deal breaker if not possible
- Do not care about the quality of the college football although would ideally want FBS level teams

Appreciate that's a bit of a wall of text but would rather put as much data down at the outset rather than answering questions later, initial thoughts were that I'd probably looking outside of the north east and the west coast? Thanks in advance

Ann Arbor for a Michigan game and then Detroit for a Lions game seems to fit well. Great food and beer scene in Michigan. A train that connects the two cities (probably an hour ride). Obviously all major sports exist in the city. Ann Arbor is what people imagine when they think of the perfect college town and I know Detroit scares people but it's absolutely not what you think it is. In the 80s and 90s, yeah it was awful. It's an awesome place now.

Last edited:
Minnesota Gophers and Vikings is doable. Looking at the schedule this year you'd have a weekend where Michigan visits on Saturday and the Chiefs on Sunday. US Bank Stadium is pretty neat.

DFW also comes to mind. Cowboys in Arlington and TCU in Ft Worth isn't too far. I'd assume Red River Showdown is pricey, but believe they still do it at the Cotton Bowl.

Could time a Nashville trip with Vandy and the Titans too.

Since you won’t be driving, I’d go Philly (yes, you’ve been there before) — Amtrak — Baltimore — Amtrak — DC. Bonus points if there are shuttles from Philly to Happy Valley for Penn St..

ETA : watch NFL/CFN schedules to see whether you hit a trifecta (or 4?) within a 1.5 week span

Kansas City. You get to watch Mahomes. The tailgating is an experience you will never forget. I will make you some ribs.

A couple guys here can attest to my ribs.
Good public transportation to efficiently get to Manhattan or Columbia?

still would put out New Orleans= saints/tulane

la: chargers/rams; UCLA/USC

seattle: Seahawks/UW

carloina: panthers/UNC/duke

Miami
I would be shocked if someone didn't enjoy the heck out of New Orleans for a week. Very walkable (by US standards--hey we gotta lotta space). And it's a truly unique place. Architecture/food/music, completely different from anywhere else.

Los Angeles would be great as well. Stay by the beaches. Uber to the games.

Yeah the public transportation puts a damper on say hitting labeau or Heinz after a college game.

still would put out New Orleans= saints/tulane

la: chargers/rams; UCLA/USC

seattle: Seahawks/UW

carloina: panthers/UNC/duke

Miami
I would be shocked if someone didn't enjoy the heck out of New Orleans for a week. Very walkable (by US standards--hey we gotta lotta space). And it's a truly unique place. Architecture/food/music, completely different from anywhere else.

Los Angeles would be great as well. Stay by the beaches. Uber to the games.

my last trip was a guys about 6-7 years ago (about 6 of us). my oldest/closest friend went to loyola and his brother went to tulane. love the city.

a highlight was chariot races across town in the rickshaws. we got three and offered a very nice tip to get us to the destination first.

food and frenchman alone :heart:

Last edited:
I got it....

Fly into Seattle on a Thurs. Spend a day in the city - you can catch public transport from Sea-Tac to downtown Seattle.

Take the Amtrak train down to Portland, Or on Friday and explore the Rose City. Happy to show you around. Few of us FBGs here.

Saturday morning, take the bus down to Eugene for an afternoon game. I have season tickets - 5th row, corner endzone. Autzen stadium is magical. Depending on who they play, I'll gift them to you.

After the game, take a train or bus from Eugene back to Seattle for an NFL game Sunday afternoon.

Ideally you do this in late Sept or Oct. Oct is gorgeous up here, especially when the leaves begin to change. Plus, students are back to school in late Sept and you'll want the student section rocking for a Ducks game.

If you need to stash bags in Eugene for the game, I've got 2 sons down there with their own places by the school so we can help you there.

See you soon? ;)

Last edited:
Don't bother with San Francisco. The stadium is 45 minutes south of the city and it wishes it had a fraction of the charm Candlestick had.

I think he has done it before.

could always train/BART.

shame there would be no car...could have gone to santa cruz/monterey/carmel/big sur

And you have some college stadiums within
Kansas City. You get to watch Mahomes. The tailgating is an experience you will never forget. I will make you some ribs.

No. I’d be willing to take him. Manhattan would be my choice since Columbia is a ****hole.

Seattle and Detroit were the first 2 I thought of. Also take up GM's offer on Oregon. If you're real lucky maybe you could get Friday night at one (Pac 12 has one feature game then weekly) and Saturday at the other.

If Deion is able to turn Colorado around a Denver/Boulder weekend would be outstanding and there is public transit between the 2.

Speaking of public transit, there is some available between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Just sayin'.

I have nothing to offer but just bought tickets to Bills- Dolphins. I grew up going to Rich Stadium but moved to NC almost 30 years ago.
I’ve seen lots of Bills games since but none in Orchard Park since the Bills crushed Don Shula in what turned out to be his last game. My sons one college graduation wish was seeing a game in Buffalo. The whole family is going and we’re meeting a bunch of friends from that area. It’s going to blow my kids minds and I can’t wait!

I got it....

Fly into Seattle on a Thurs. Spend a day in the city - you can catch public transport from Sea-Tac to downtown Seattle.

Take the Amtrak train down to Portland, Or on Friday and explore the Rose City. Happy to show you around. Few of us FBGs here.

Saturday morning, take the bus down to Eugene for an afternoon game. I have season tickets - 5th row, corner endzone. Autzen stadium is magical. Depending on who they play, I'll gift them to you.

After the game, take a train or bus from Eugene back to Seattle for an NFL game Sunday afternoon.

Ideally you do this in late Sept or Oct. Oct is gorgeous up here, especially when the leaves begin to change. Plus, students are back to school in late Sept and you'll want the student section rocking for a Ducks game.

If you need to stash bags in Eugene for the game, I've got 2 sons down there with their own places by the school so we can help you there.

See you soon? ;)
This is solid.

Would also suggest jags game plus worlds largest cocktail party, though I guess the jags in london are just as feasible…

If looking at Philly, Happy Valley is pretty far from Philly. Could Amtrak from Philly to New Brunswick for Rutgers (would need to then get campus shuttle or Uber from train to stadium). (Rutgers is not great, but still Big Ten.) A bit cheaper than Amtrak could be the Philly SEPTA to Trenton for NJ Transit.

… Nashville could be an option with Titans and Vanderbilt. (Maybe could get to Knoxville for UT, but can stay in Nashville for Vandy.) Fun city scene too.

the public transportation puts a damper on say hitting labeau or Heinz after a college game.
Does Pitt play all their games at Heinz?
Yes, but renamed to an unrecognizable name.
If you're doing Pittsburgh I'd strongly recommend skipping the local college team and getting to Morgantown, West Va. It's only a little over an hour away and while I don't know specs there is bussing between the 2. The environment is much more college football-esque though.

No. I’d be willing to take him. Manhattan would be my choice since Columbia is a ****hole.
See a Cornhusker game in Lincoln, then travel to KC. It’s a 3 hour drive

Afternoon FFA, contemplating a trip to the States in either 24 or 25, with the main purpose of watching live football - for background, I want to do more or less the same sort of itinerary I did in 2019, namely fly out late one week, watch a college game Saturday then an NFL game Sunday, spend midweek in some interim city, then repeat the Saturday/Sunday with another two games. Last time I watched Northwestern and the Bears, then Cal and the Raiders. I'm looking at this stage for locations where this is viable.

Restrictions/considerations:

- Have already been to NYC ages ago and have no desire to revisit, so Giants/Jets are off the table
- Similarly, Bears and 49ers are off the table given previous visit covered Chicago and the Bay Area and I would like to visit somewhere new
- Other places I've been to are Boston, Philadelphia and Vegas, but not to watch games so more open to a redo on those places
- I do not drive, so please don't suggest something like "Saints and LSU obviously" if there is not an easy way to get between New Orleans and Baton Rouge without a car (and even if I did drive, I'd be drinking anyway)
- Would ideally want to watch games in two distinct stadia rather than something like a Raiders/UNLV suggestion where they play at the same place, although I am going to assume that in most situations like that they alternate home weekends anyway
- Do not care about moderate levels of cold. I live in the UK so it is fine up to a point. Top deck of Soldier Field in November was fine. Lambeau in December might be more questionable, actual time of year of visit is yet undecided but assume any location not ruled out above is viable at any time
- In a perfect world I'd like to be able to get tickets without paying a huge multiplier above face value, but for something I'm probably not doing again, I can stretch somewhat as a one off assuming there is availability. Do not want something like "well I can get you to Tuscaloosa but tickets are going to cost you $500 IF they appear on the secondary market"
- Destination having a decent beer scene and/or other sporting attractions that can be tacked on around the football would be a bonus but not a deal breaker if not possible
- Do not care about the quality of the college football although would ideally want FBS level teams

Appreciate that's a bit of a wall of text but would rather put as much data down at the outset rather than answering questions later, initial thoughts were that I'd probably looking outside of the north east and the west coast? Thanks in advance

You could combine two good suggestions here by taking the Amtrak Empire Builder line across one of the most beautiful stretches in the USA between Seattle and Minneapolis. Its not a cheap train ticket but is an awesome trip that connects two fantastic cities with NFL and D1 football.

Yeah, that’s a great idea.

Problem is the OP said he doesn’t drive

I'd take GM up on the Oregon/Seattle trip. The only thing about that is it's across the pond and then across the country for plane travel. That'd be a long, long flight.

bigbottom's USC/UCLA and Seattle/LA Rams is an excellent idea.

Dinsy's Washington, DC is also a great idea and a way to see DC.

And AAA's Atlanta idea is great. Never been to Atlanta, but I hear it's an awesome place. The second Harlem Renaissance happened there.

If you want to watch ****ty football - Falcons and Georgia Tech in Atlanta.
May be ****ty football, but definitely a city worth a visit if you haven't been before...College Football Hall of Fame here is a bonus attraction.
What do you recommend visiting in ATL?

In the heart of downtown where Mercedes Benz is there’s the College Football HoF, Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, Civil Rights Museum, Centennial Olympic Park and a bunch of restaurants and bars. State Farm arena is right there too so you could check the schedule there and the Benz for concerts, games, etc.

May be ****ty football, but definitely a city worth a visit if you haven't been before...College Football Hall of Fame here is a bonus attraction.
In addition to the aforementioned College Football Hall of Fame, the Aquarium is a must...fantastic. History buffs can check out the Center for Civil and Human Rights or the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library. Stone Mountain has a massive Confederate Memorial Carving (or is it too controversial these days to go see a confederate monument?)...even without the monument, it can be a cool experience...you can take a short hike up the rock or ride a gondola up for the views. Get some outdoor hiking, biking, and tubing/kayaking action with the Chattahoocee River. A lot of people go to World of Coke. Personally I find it meh, but others may be interested.

For the record, I do not live in Atlanta. I do have a sister living there and have visited a couple times over the years. I am sure locals could provide greater insight.

In the heart of downtown where Mercedes Benz is there’s the College Football HoF, Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, Civil Rights Museum, Centennial Olympic Park and a bunch of restaurants and bars. State Farm arena is right there too so you could check the schedule there and the Benz for concerts, games, etc.
You must have posted while I was typing...

Duh.

Washington, DC. Commanders and and U Maryland are both on metro lines.
May have been too close to home for me to think about this one for him. If time it right, could potentially work a Caps or Wizards game into it too (also on Metro line).

Beer scene is decent too.

I stayed downtown during the ACC hoops tournament about 15 years ago and loved it. You could walk to everything you wanted to see.

Baltimore, DC, and Philly are commutable. There's a good chance that with Monday and Thursday night football you could work in a third game.

Users who are viewing this thread