What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - How did you celebrate your 50th Birthday? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
April 14th and I'm not the least bit sad...yet!
-Pushing off on the 13th from South Florida, going straight up to the Western Carolina section and Smoky Mountains National Park, take the 441 up thru Western GA, beautiful and relaxing.
Smokemont and Clingsman Dome make me very happy
Maggie Valley, Route 19 Inn, Bear Waters but Waynesville is not far off and BooJum Brewery which ironically was started and owned by fellow Floridians, their Helles Lager is amazing.

I just want to get the bleep out of Florida for a little while and find this part of the country to be quite relaxing.
Going to Utah/CO in late May/early June, that likely will shoot up the charts for places to visit but until then, this section of the country will have to do.

Some of you are still a ways off, many of you have already passed this, curious how you celebrated.
-Clayton, GA on the way up, Fortify Pi which is a pretty ironic name for MoP but this place is a true gem in the middle of nowhere. Pizza is outstanding and it's close to the NC/GA border.
Sorry to step on @Keerock but I didn't think he would mind

Last edited:
I did nothing against, my wifes wishes.... It was near/end 2021 covid so that helped me get away with it!!

I bought some golf clubs.
-I was starting to almost feel guilty but suddenly feel empowered
Right there with you except I am buying new tennis rackets to add to my arsenal

I worked at a miserable thing that I couldn't get out of (was a big deal for my company and planned for like a year). Didn't want to hear all about my 50th birthday so told no one. A few work friends new about it but I told them to forget it :lol:

Real shindig was golf trip to Carmel with wife and a few other couples. Didn't play Pebble as it is just too crazy but did play Spyglass, The Hay, and some local course. Drank a bunch of wine and ate good food. Love it there.

menu for the night (dry Riesling, pinot gris, Bordeaux blend- right bank, Nebbiolo)...

Small eats

Hakka steamed dim sum
Szechuan lamb tenderloin with mantou
Crispy duck salad

Main

Sauteed seabass, scallop and prawn with Chinese chive
Black truffle roasted duck
Sweet and sour pork tenderloin
Stir-fry black pepper rib eye of beef with merlot
Lotus root, asparagus, lily bulb (Vegan)
Hakka noodle (Vegetarian, no egg)
Steamed Jasmine rice

Desserts were chef's choice.

I did nothing, against my wife's wishes.... It was near/end 2021 covid so that helped me get away with it!!

Its just a birthday
Coming up in October for me and November for the wife. no plans, just another day.

Went to Disneyland and had a great time. This was pre covid and price gouging. Dinner at Blue Bayou and party at hotel after. Was really a great time. I know, I know... :bag:

menu for the night (dry Riesling, pinot gris, Bordeaux blend- right bank, Nebbiolo)...

Small eats

Hakka steamed dim sum
Crispy duck salad

Main

Steamed Jasmine rice

This guy knows food!

Didn't want to do anything. Was told that wasn't an option. So I came down with Covid 2 days before. To spite them all? Who am I to say?

Ended up having about 25 of our closest friends over, ate lots of pretty good food, and drank an obscene amount of good wine, bourbon, and scotch. Still restocking.

Was just a bros weekend if I remember correctly. Recently single and just had a weekend of disc golf, grilling and great PNW IPAs…and of course weed.

Small eats

Hakka steamed dim sum
Crispy duck salad

Main

Steamed Jasmine rice

This guy knows food!
I did mainly stuff like mozzarella sticks, chicken tenders and shots. :excited:

Didn't want to do anything. Was told that wasn't an option. So I came down with Covid 2 days before. To spite them all? Who am I to say?

Ended up having about 25 of our closest friends over, ate lots of pretty good food, and drank an obscene amount of good wine, bourbon, and scotch. Still restocking.
I spent 49 in bed with a mild case of the 'Rona. Was really just tired... but of course had to cancel plans to go out to a few breweries with friends.

Joint 50th with my wife. Rented a sweet VRBO in Sedona and invited a bunch of our friends out to stay with us for an extra long weekend of hiking, swimming, eating and drinking.

i originally wanted to rent a place in cabo for a long weekend, but it was too challenging with schedules... so a night plus in SF

I did the same thing I do every year for my birthday. Stayed home and had 2lbs of snow crab legs along with a good bottle of red wine. For desert, my usual birthday key lime pie.

Not big on birthdays but we were in the midst of a trip to New Zealand and were supposed to be on a hike and helicopter tour on my birthday. Covid hit. We were given 72 hours to get out of the country. Spent my actual birthday back in a Winnipeg winter having leftovers … c’est la vie!

I did nothing, against my wife's wishes.... It was near/end 2021 covid so that helped me get away with it!!

Its just a birthday
My 40th worked so I didn’t have to do anything other than be with my mom and sister while dad underwent surgery.
We’ll make the 50th better, but I have no desire to do anything huge (2 years away).

Went down to Vieques for a long weekend. Didn't really plan it for my birthday, it just worked out that way.
My favorite place on earth
It was very interesting and beautiful for sure. And the horses add a very unique element, I was actually thinking it could be a nice place to have a 2nd home/retire. Somewhat remote but easy to access with none of the expat stuff to deal with. And it's beautiful. However, the super high rate of illness amongst the people who live there, ostensibly from what the Navy did gave me pause. And that there is currently no hospital at all since Maria.

Went down to Vieques for a long weekend. Didn't really plan it for my birthday, it just worked out that way.
My favorite place on earth
It was very interesting and beautiful for sure. And the horses add a very unique element, I was actually thinking it could be a nice place to have a 2nd home/retire. Somewhat remote but easy to access with none of the expat stuff to deal with. And it's beautiful. However, the super high rate of illness amongst the people who live there, ostensibly from what the Navy did gave me pause. And that there is currently no hospital at all since Maria.
Agree with all those items. I’m still considering it as my retirement destination.

I will tell you in 3 years.

My wife and I are exactly a month apart. She wants to do the thing where you just go to the airport and take the first international flight available. I said she's crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread