What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (2 Viewers)

We go to Disney quite often but I have to say I found a new appreciation for it this weekend. We spent yesterday at Busch Gardens in Tampa, and while they certainly had more fun rides the place was an absolute sty. Trash everywhere, bathrooms had piss on the floor and smelled awful, 45 minute waits for hot dogs, no staff anywhere, bird crap ALL over the grounds. I mean everywhere. Just a thoroughly disgusting experience. I know it’s not apples to apples with Disney but it was really eye-opening.
While I haven't looked at any roadmaps, if what I saw over the last two days is any indication, Disney is going to start surpassing these places in the rides department as well.

I want to be the engineer that invented the trackless ride system when I grow up.
I know it’s not the same, but my grandfather, who was a railroad foreman was part of the team that built the Monorail around Disneyland. He was always so proud of that when he took me there as a kid.
You should buy him one of those Monorail parts for sale listed previously. A piece of track or wheel would be cool

I want to be the engineer that invented the trackless ride system when I grow up.
I know it’s not the same, but my grandfather, who was a railroad foreman was part of the team that built the Monorail around Disneyland. He was always so proud of that when he took me there as a kid.
You should buy him one of those Monorail parts for sale listed previously. A piece of track or wheel would be cool
He passed away when I was 12 but that’s still a fantastic idea and would be a cool piece of memorabilia. 👍

@AcerFC saying he created a monster in his daughter; I can relate. Our daughter is 20 and a sophomore in college, and going on her first Spring Break trip with her roommates. To Florida. But not to Panama City or wherever the Spring Break party spots are, but to WDW for four days. It will be her 6th time there, and I think her two roommates have been there more than that. She gets to stay in a deluxe for the first time (despite me being a FBG, I'm a teacher with 5 kids) at Old Key West, and they're doing one of the After Hours Parties at MK next week. She's beyond excited, and, consequently, my 18 year old son and 15 year old daughter are insanely jealous, and that's why we're trying to see if we can swing a Disneyland trip out west at the end of the summer.

Her roommates wanted to skip Epcot and she told them to suck it, as she hasn't done Ratatouille or GOTG:CR and those are on the top of her list. Splash Mountain has always been her favorite, so she's bummed about the closure there, and naturally wishes Tron opened a month earlier. They're flying into Sanford and getting a car service to property, so I just hope all the transportation goes off without a hitch.
shhhhhhh dont tell her about the WDW College Program. lol

Any transportation recommendations? I loath busses. Only did Uber/Lyft twice in San Francisco and it was a get us from A to B gig. I was wondering if there was a service that'd allow for a 30 minute food stock up enroute to the hotel. We did the stupist thing possible last time, years ago and got off the bus at the transport station and took the monorail to the Polinysain. Then hoofed the last quarter mile from there to the SOG
Your best bet would be to arrange a private car service then. Or take the bus (even though you hate them) to the resort and then do a quick Uber and back to the stores. The resort will hold your luggage if you can’t check in yet, then you can go shop at your leisure. That might work out cheaper in the end even though it’s multiple trips.

If you need a good private car recommendation, I can give you my friend Cliff’s number and he includes a store stop.
Thanks. That sounds great. Bus wise I'm not a COVID worrier, but I spent a LOT of my 25 Army years time being crammed en-masse and shuttled around on various modes of travel and I'm spending a week doing more of it. If I can avoid kicking things off with one, I I'd prefer that. Besides no one runs to Shades of Green, so it's hope we can catch the golf cart shuttle from the Polynesian or hoof it bag and baggage in the Florida heat from there.

@AcerFC saying he created a monster in his daughter; I can relate. Our daughter is 20 and a sophomore in college, and going on her first Spring Break trip with her roommates. To Florida. But not to Panama City or wherever the Spring Break party spots are, but to WDW for four days. It will be her 6th time there, and I think her two roommates have been there more than that. She gets to stay in a deluxe for the first time (despite me being a FBG, I'm a teacher with 5 kids) at Old Key West, and they're doing one of the After Hours Parties at MK next week. She's beyond excited, and, consequently, my 18 year old son and 15 year old daughter are insanely jealous, and that's why we're trying to see if we can swing a Disneyland trip out west at the end of the summer.

Her roommates wanted to skip Epcot and she told them to suck it, as she hasn't done Ratatouille or GOTG:CR and those are on the top of her list. Splash Mountain has always been her favorite, so she's bummed about the closure there, and naturally wishes Tron opened a month earlier. They're flying into Sanford and getting a car service to property, so I just hope all the transportation goes off without a hitch.
shhhhhhh dont tell her about the WDW College Program. lol
Yeah, she already knows and has discussed it with us as a must-do.

Wednesday - Arrival (Art of Animation)
We arrived late in the evening to Art of Animation. This was our first time staying on-premises; our goals were to get into the resorts just about as cheaply as possible and try the experience from that side.

I have to say I was simultaneously impressed by how seamless and easy everything was made for us while I also noticed the flaws of the last few years that I've read loads of reviews about. It would have been great to have some of the amenities no longer offered, like the Magical Express (aware this is a contract dispute), and I hope they can find a way to offer these again in the future.

Art of Animation is a glorified motel, but all we needed was a conveniently located place to sleep, and it did the trick.

Thursday - Hollywood Studios
We start off our fun in the parks with the Skyliner, and wow this is great execution. We were a bit later than we wanted due to our arrival time the night before, but we got into what seemed like a forever-long line outside AoA and yet made it into Hollywood Studios with 5 minutes to spare for Early Entry, which was clutch to avoid the initial push into the park. It took us 20 minutes from Skyliner queue to entry into Hollywood Studios after waiting to board behind 300 people, easily.

We went straight back to Galaxy's Edge, bought breakfast at Ronto Roasters, grabbed a table and watched the park come to life. Hollywood Studios is a look into the future of the parks imo. Toy Story Land was awesome the first time we went, and Galaxy's Edge kicked it up a notch, it was just so evocative of the franchise. I never stopped getting a kick out of thinking, "some artist came here to creatively smudge and dirty up all these windows."

My previous experience planning these trips really paid off in how we approached our days with Genie+. The price point has to really suck for families, though, I can see that as a real downer. Also, it was curious how advanced the app is imo, not especially kind to beginners. You kind of need a working knowledge of how to structure a park day while using the app to get the most out of it. Even with experience, we found ourselves doing a bit of back-and-forth, but the real boon was being able to trust the forecasted standby estimates.

I was determined not to rush right into Rise of the Resistance, instead wanting to build up excitement after a day hanging out around the outpost. After doing some testing at different hours, I began to blindly trust Genie+ estimates. It let me see how Fantasmic would affect queue times late in the evening, we didn't even use a Lightning Lane to ride. We managed to have a day full of activity and cap it off with a ~45 minute queue for Rise of the Resistance.

This ride was so great. Can't recommend it enough. It's a nearly 20-minute immersive experience that is pitch perfect. Using the lawful evil First Order to queue you after being captured is so well done.

And the "trackless" rides! Such a genius concept that furthers immersion. Every trackless ride was excellent, and I think their system enhances the "rerideability" of each of those attractions. Plus, you can see how making changes to a trackless ride could be done with more flexibility and (presumably) less downtime. In the future, I could even envision procedurally-generated paths.

We ended the day at Olga's Cantina, another ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5-Star experience. I ordered a Fuzzy Tauntaun and a Jedi Mind Trick, and couldn't care less that we were going to spend the rest of our evening drinking and vibing instead of catching the Tower of Terror at night. It's a shame to miss, but the Cantina was 100% worth it.

Takeaway: WDW, just tear it all down and build it all back up like you're doing with Hollywood Studios.

I'll share a Friday recap and try to do a mostly complete list of both days when I'm next able to do so.

We go in a few weeks, I’m pretty much just planning to wing it. 2 days any universal and 4 at Disney

I just hate trying to plan out a whole day, if I miss something I miss something

Can I buy a magic band on-site or do I need to order it ahead of time?

Thinking of getting one for my youngest, the rest of us have phones so I assume we can just link tickets / memory maker to those?

Thinking of getting one for my youngest, the rest of us have phones so I assume we can just link tickets / memory maker to those?
you can def get them on site...they are a huge part of each gift shop. They will be able to link them to your account right there.

you can def get them on site...they are a huge part of each gift shop. They will be able to link them to your account right there.
Thanks. We leave next Friday so wasn’t sure it would ship on time. Ill plan on just getting there

Finally heading back at the end of April. Having to get up to speed on Genie+ but I’ve been using the MDE app for a long time so assume I’ll figure it out quickly.

Think I’ll have a several questions but just a few for now:
  • Recommendation for best dining experience on property currently - planning to have date night with the wife one night and want to hopefully head somewhere we haven’t been but is awesome- cost not really a factor. No strictly seafood place please.
  • Is parking hopping still not open until 2pm?
  • Staying on property but splitting the stay between two resorts - never done that before but just wondering if there’s any tips and tricks to it
  • Is the food stuff at Flower and Garden worth carving out time for? We live Food and Wine and while it seems like a scaled back version of it I’m not seeing anything that jumps out as a must do.

Seems like ‘Ohana is as hard a reservation to get as ever. Seems like quality has dropped but if they are constantly booked I guess they don’t have an incentive to change.

Seems like ‘Ohana is as hard a reservation to get as ever. Seems like quality has dropped but if they are constantly booked I guess they don’t have an incentive to change.
Used to be my families favorite. After last year we can't justify $400 for the quality of the main course stuff. Steak whether cooked medium or medium rare was like shoe leather, chicken was dry with a nasty sauce, shrimp was dry and flavorless. That first course with the wings and noodles and dumplings is amazing but not worth that price. And I'm pretty sure they changed the bread pudding sauce. It's not bananas foster anymore.

Used to be my families favorite. After last year we can't justify $400 for the quality of the main course stuff. Steak whether cooked medium or medium rare was like shoe leather, chicken was dry with a nasty sauce, shrimp was dry and flavorless. That first course with the wings and noodles and dumplings is amazing but not worth that price. And I'm pretty sure they changed the bread pudding sauce. It's not bananas foster anymore.
Pro Tip: You can get the same dumplings, wings and bread pudding right next door at Kona Cafe

Finally heading back at the end of April. Having to get up to speed on Genie+ but I’ve been using the MDE app for a long time so assume I’ll figure it out quickly.

• Recommendation for best dining experience on property currently - planning to have date night with the wife one night and want to hopefully head somewhere we haven’t been but is awesome- cost not really a factor. No strictly seafood place please.
  • Staying on property but splitting the stay between two resorts - never done that before but just wondering if there’s any tips and tricks to it
  • Is the food stuff at Flower and Garden worth carving out time for? We live Food and Wine and while it seems like a scaled back version of it I’m not seeing anything that jumps out as a must do.
There is a lot of good dining, really depends on what you are in the mood for, and the ambiance.

TBH everyone sleeps on the restaurants over at the Swan & Dolphin. Technically they are still "on-property," but don't suffer from the Disney craziness. They also have great lounges and then you can take a nice romantic stroll down the boardwalk afterward.

I think they are still enforcing the 2pm hop time for regular guests. Only AP holders can do it before.

What resorts? I have not done it in a while, but it was pretty easy last time. I would check but I'm pretty sure bell services will still transport your luggage for free between resorts. So you just drop them off in the AM and they should be at your 2nd resort by 5. The downside is that you're homeless for a few hours, so you wont have a resort to go back to mid-day.

Another minor negative is that you need to pack up again. So dont plan a late night on your last night. However, the way we did it, with 4 people, instead of 1 suitcase per person, we packed for the 2 resorts. 2 people split a suitcase and the other 2 suitcases just went in the closet until we got to the 2nd resort.

Also, its a bit of a pain if you have groceries. You'll need a box or something for them to go it.

Buuut....its a great way to experience more of the property and depending on where your 2 resorts are, you can plan your park days around the locations.

Can't vouch for the F&G food, but any festival at Epcot is good IMO

There is a lot of good dining, really depends on what you are in the mood for, and the ambiance.

I'm adventurous, the wife definitely not. She's super picky so almost all ethnic restaurants are out. She loves a good steak and also chicken, salads and desserts.

TBH everyone sleeps on the restaurants over at the Swan & Dolphin. Technically they are still "on-property," but don't suffer from the Disney craziness. They also have great lounges and then you can take a nice romantic stroll down the boardwalk afterward.

Right now my plan is Shula's so fits this idea - and we love Shula's but thought about branching out a little.

What resorts? I have not done it in a while, but it was pretty easy last time. I would check but I'm pretty sure bell services will still transport your luggage for free between resorts. So you just drop them off in the AM and they should be at your 2nd resort by 5. The downside is that you're homeless for a few hours, so you wont have a resort to go back to mid-day.

Starting at All-Star Music and then moving to Port Orleans. With a family of 6 we typically didn't stay on property all those times we went in years gone by but we will only have 4 of us so gives us a chance to experience the resorts. Good tip about packing the bags. Thanks.

Shula's over there is the best steakhouse in Disney.

Right now my plan is Shula's so fits this idea - and we love Shula's but thought about branching out a little.

Have you tried the Yachtsman over at the Yacht Club? I've never been, but I've heard their steak is pretty darn good. IDK if its Shula's good...but its a different place. esp if your wife likes a good steak

California Grill in Contemporary could be date night option. Steaks are about what expect and not as good as something like Shula’s, but view is pretty spectacular — it is on the rooftop of the Contemporary and can catch the fireworks from there.

Like this idea. We’ve skipped the fine dining over the years due to the kids so wanted to do something special since we can get out on a “date”

California Grill in Contemporary could be date night option. Steaks are about what expect and not as good as something like Shula’s, but view is pretty spectacular — it is on the rooftop of the Contemporary and can catch the fireworks from there.

Like this idea. We’ve skipped the fine dining over the years due to the kids so wanted to do something special since we can get out on a “date”
calif grill is a great idea. If you can get it during fireworks its even better

calif grill is a great idea. If you can get it during fireworks its even better
I just found out that a brand new Mexican restaurant is opening tomorrow at the Swan & Dolphin called Rosa Mexicano....its the same one as we have here in NYC and its amazing. :love: Guacamole made right at the table!!

if you like great Mexican, it could be an option

Doing Disneyland back to back days in a little over a week. First time back since preCovid so first time with the new system too. 8th old is over the moon excited. Despite living just over an hour from the park we got a hotel close by so we can maximize the days. Looking forward to it.
So our 2 day trip is coming up (Mon&tues). It won’t stop raining here in SoCal so it’s going to light rain Monday afternoon and heavy rain on Tuesday. We’re pot committed at this point so bought some ponchos today. Despite living here my whole life I’ve never been to Disney in the rain (probably BECAUSE I’ve lived here my whole life) but had a bunch of people over the past week tell me it’s actually great (because it’s not crowded). Anyone here with experience?

It is now official. Daughters sweet 16 trip is booked. We had to go a little cheaper route this time because we are bringing and paying for my daughter to have a friend. So after you factor in her airfare and now the need for a room of 5, we decided to book a suite at the All Star Movies. Not the most luxurious but it will get the job done. Two of the three nights we are there MK hosts the Christmas party. So we were forced to book a reservation for the only day it wasn’t being offered. Which probably means massive lines but I’ll Genie + my way to a fun filled day. Can’t wait. Now I get to spend 5 months thinking about dining options since the trip is in November.

Staying at Wilderness Lodge 6/10. Hoping to get a reservation at California Grill. It’s either that or something else on the monorail line.

Do all the parks have a wildly inefficient parking experience or just Magic Kingdom?
Magic Kingdom is by far the worst since you hoof it or tram it just to get to a conveyance to take you to the actual entrance to the park. The other 3 parks each have their own parking lot and you can walk to the entrance of the park.

Welp....we are booked for our last Disney trip (for a long time) for this June. My son turned 18 and is headed off to college in August. We are doing one last hurrah with him and my 17 year old niece (they are practically brother and sister). Staying on property for the first time in a decade. Doing the Disney Pop Century.....have our tickets. We are Florida Residents so we got a nice deal by todays standards LOL. You gotta understand.....I have been going to Disney World since I was 5 years old.....I have seen and experienced it all. And the prices today are.....wow.

Anyway......hotel for 4 days and 3 nights plus four 3 day park tickets ran us a total of $479 a person all in. That is pretty damn good. That works out to $160 a day for hotel and park admission. Obviously food is another story.....but still....not a bad value at all.

We will be doing Hollywood Studios, Epoct and the MK. Always a good time. And the kiddos are wizards on the app with the Genie Plus and Lighting Lanes as well as the virtual que.

Looking forward to all the new rides we have not experienced. Should be a good time......even though it will be hot as a mofo in late June. LOL!!!

Do all the parks have a wildly inefficient parking experience or just Magic Kingdom?
Magic Kingdom is by far the worst since you hoof it or tram it just to get to a conveyance to take you to the actual entrance to the park. The other 3 parks each have their own parking lot and you can walk to the entrance of the park.

Thanks. You forgot to add that just got us to the monorail / boat launch

Anyway this place is Hell personified. Ended up getting the lightning pass which is confusing as hell

And can’t figure out how to properly sync family members that have their own app

Making the best of it

Also one thing universal does wat better is having those Coke Freestyle machines everywhere where I can just refill my water. Here I gotta go ask a quick serve for 10 Dixie cups of water

Anyway this place is Hell personified. Ended up getting the lightning pass which is confusing as hell

And can’t figure out how to properly sync family members that have their own app

Making the best of it

Also one thing universal does wat better is having those Coke Freestyle machines everywhere where I can just refill my water. Here I gotta go ask a quick serve for 10 Dixie cups of water
Dont wait...go see the guest experience CMs under the blue umbrellas at all the parks. Tell them you are having syncing issues and they will fix it for you. Don't waste valuable park time or experiences you could be missing out on.

not to get all historic or storybook, but blame Walt.

the lake crossing from the parking lot to the theme park is meant to simulate you leaving your regular world issues behind and crossing over to a fantasy place. I know... cheesy. But, while expansion was always on their minds, I don't think they realized how large or congested that property would get, and how many on-property resorts would be built.....and now people just need to "be there" and dont care about "the story"

the lake crossing from the parking lot to the theme park is meant to simulate you leaving your regular world issues behind and crossing over to a fantasy place. I know... cheesy. But, while expansion was always on their minds, I don't think they realized how large or congested that property would get, and how many on-property resorts would be built.....and now people just need to "be there" and dont care about "the story"
We still love hitching a ride on the Steamboat and have the anticipation of arriving at the Happiest Place On Earth. Of course by 11PM we are ready to hop on the monorail and pass out......

Don’t think you could pay me to come back to the magic kingdom

Hopefully I will have a better time at Hollywood and Epcot. Think we are just past the age where Magic Kingdom is enjoyable for us and our kids

Pretty sure they hired those zootopia sloths for all their food service too

Hopefully I will have a better time at Hollywood and Epcot. Think we are just past the age where Magic Kingdom is enjoyable for us and our kids

Flash flash 100 yard dash

We still love hitching a ride on the Steamboat and have the anticipation of arriving at the Happiest Place On Earth. Of course by 11PM we are ready to hop on the monorail and pass out......
I hear yea....the feeling of watching everyone cram on the boat or monorail after fireworks, while we walk the 3-minute path to the Contemporary, is unmatched.

Sigh Micky Minnie ride breaks right before we get on
And waited a half hour to use our lightning pass for a certain time and that’s the last thing we were doing before leaving the park. Oh well.

Making the best of it

Oh and looks like I will miss pirates again because it has been on and off down all day

And waited a half hour to use our lightning pass for a certain time and that’s the last thing we were doing before leaving the park. Oh well.

Guardians and ratatouille both down simultaneously which is inflating wait times for everything else else

…and now Ratatouille goes down 10 minutes before our LL time.
They should put you on the payroll!

Making the best of it

Oh and looks like I will miss pirates again because it has been on and off down all day

Guardians and ratatouille both down simultaneously which is inflating wait times for everything else else

Nemo just broke while I’m riding it

Making the best of it

Nemo just broke while I’m riding it
And figment went down right before we went to ride

Users who are viewing this thread