What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (1 Viewer)

If you want popcorn, be prepared to pay which I thought was BS.

the popcorn markup must be ridiculous! I won a private luxury box for Disney on Ice @Barklays in a charity auction a few years ago. You can cater them out through the venue, so I decided to bring in a tray of hot pretzels and endless popcorn given we had mainly kids in the box. I get there and there was no popcorn set up. When I questioned the attendant, they said that Disney will not allow the venue to sell any popcorn in the place and it all had to be sold through Disney. They hold the GD monopoly on popcorn!!?? WTF? 

(Look at me: I get private boxes for Disney on Ice, Baby-Baller!) 

Doing a Disney cruise to the Bahamas in the summer (parents-in-laws gifted the cruise to ours and her sisters' families to celebrate in-laws' milestone anniversary).

My wife thinks that I should be more pumped about it, but I must admit that I'm not really too excited about being stuck on a boat with my wife's family for a week (the majority are lovely people, but a week is a bit much), and it taking up a good chunk of annual vacation leave.

I get bored at the pool pretty easily -- I like to read by the pool, but between watching my 3 year old son and my wife's talkative family, I'm sure my wife will yell at me every time that I try to open my book.  The only cruise that I've ever done is Alaska, which was great due to all the of excursions and scenery to look at, but I'm not sure how much of that there will be over open water for the most part.  And I sunburn so easily that I got pretty severe sunburn on that Alaskan cruise, which is another thing that I'll have to deal with.

Anything that I should be looking forward to here?  I haven't seen much in research to inspire me.
Wanna trade? I'll go in your place. 

NP! 

The garden wing rooms are just as great. You just won't be in the main concourse where the monorail goes through, which is a draw to some and not to others. I will indeed be quieter if the kids need to nap. 

The only garden wing left is on the south side of the Main building (the north was demolished for Bay Lake Tower DVC resort). That puts it slightly further away from the park, but maybe 2-3 minute walk. Also as @Redwes25 said, you won't get the views of the park, again, semantics. If you dial up google maps, and search for the Contemporary, it will be the string of buildings to the lower right of the Main building. It is very close to the pool though. 

One thing to know about the Contemporary is that most everything is located on the 4th floor—dining, gift shops and Monorail (is on the 5th technically). You'll be entering the main bldg from the ground floor, so you'll need to go in and up a few flights to get to the action. Again, semantics depending on what's important to you.

Here is a video showing the walk from the main building.  

If you are on a lake view side, it's a nice location to relax, watch the boats and monorail go by as well as an awesome seat for the nightly Electrical Water Pagent. The show itself isn't all that advanced—been the same since the 70's—but the kids love it. 

and for the hell of it, here is the walk from the main building to the MK. The only real difference now is that there is a bag check checkpoint about 1/2 way down the path. 

We don't stay in the actual main building either, we stay at Bay Lake Tower, which is that round shaped building on the other side of the resort. And like the garden wings, there are no amenities over there, we need to walk to the main building too. The only main difference is that we have a walkway bridge that puts us right on the 4th floor. Otherwise, its basically the same. 
Thanks again @glvsav37!

Speaking of Bay Lake Tower.  I can get a Deluxe Studio (Lake View) for only $48/night more than the Garden Wing room.  Since that's where you stay, is it worth the $48/night?

Thanks again @glvsav37!

Speaking of Bay Lake Tower.  I can get a Deluxe Studio (Lake View) for only $48/night more than the Garden Wing room.  Since that's where you stay, is it worth the $48/night?
interesting offer. It will be a few mins less walk to the park and you get the skyway right to the 4th floor of the contemp. Its really a toss up.
Honestly, you can get crazy playing "this or that" with $$.

Maybe take that money and spend it on a special perk or event. 

What ages and genders are the kids? there is a lot of sweet things you can do for them where that money can be used. 

Bibbity Boppity boutique / Pirate league: BBB is where little girls can get made over as princesses, and PL is where boys and girls can get made over like pirates. 
• Desert Party: go to a private dessert party before fireworks, then go to a special viewing area. It is debated whether it's worth the cost or not, but I'm a big fan of NOT waiting on main st with the masses an hour+ before FW's. MK, Epcot, and Studios have them, MK is the best IMO, but Epcot's will get you on an after-hours ride on Frozen if you can't get a Fastpass for it.
Pirate & Pals Cruise: perfect b/c it leaves from the contemporary. you have a dessert party, meet Hook and Smee, then go on a boat to the center of the lake to watch fireworks. A pirate guide tells jokes and does kids trivia, then you come back and meet peter pan. 

or just spend it on a nice dinner.

FYI TOT fans:

Rather than close the entire attraction, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be undergoing a refurbishment that will reduce the ride’s capacity over the next few months.

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Refurbishment Will Leave Attraction Open with Longer Waits This Spring, Summer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Starting this spring and running through summer 2019, the planned refurbishment will carried out in phases while the attraction remains open. A number of ride shafts may be inoperable at any time, leading to longer wait times during this period. Disney will also be reducing the amount of FastPass+ reservations available.

We expect this work will be an effort to get the attraction working correctly and fix many broken effects before the crowds descend upon the park for the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge later this year.

Anyone do the Pixar Play Zone at the Contemporary for their kids? Would love to hear if your kid(s) enjoyed it. Thinking about a night at Epcot for just my wife and me during our trip in December and saw this as a potential child care option for my two kids.

Anyone do the Pixar Play Zone at the Contemporary for their kids? Would love to hear if your kid(s) enjoyed it. Thinking about a night at Epcot for just my wife and me during our trip in December and saw this as a potential child care option for my two kids.
Wondering this myself.

I did watch this, but would like to hear first hand experiences.

People are upset that according to the law, Disney can build a nuclear power plant on the Disney property. 

I mean, what could go wrong with a nuclear missile shaped like Mickeys head. 

We looked into it, but didn't end up doing it.  Heard great things about it though.  Its really not that expensive if I recall...Like $59 per kid?  I'm sure the kids freaking love it.  

We looked into it, but didn't end up doing it.  Heard great things about it though.  Its really not that expensive if I recall...Like $59 per kid?  I'm sure the kids freaking love it.  
Looks like $65 per kid for 5 hours. A bargain for Disney.

Looks like $65 per kid for 5 hours. A bargain for Disney.
And much cheaper than an in-room sitter (starts at $18/hour I think). And obviously more fun for the kids.

love your guidance glvsav ...but knowing that I only spent $299 for a 3 bedroom condo ...make me pretty ####in' happy as well.  Not a giant fan of spending the night in the same room with my kids.  
We've stayed off property a lot - if you need to watch your budget it's the best way to go.  There's plenty of cheap and decent lodging that is close by.  And now with Uber/Lyft you don't even need to rent a car.  There's obvious benefits to staying on property but if I'm not getting free dining then I'm usually looking to stay off property.

People are upset that according to the law, Disney can build a nuclear power plant on the Disney property. 

I mean, what could go wrong with a nuclear missile shaped like Mickeys head. 
I'm in favor of it - we are probably long overdue for building a new nuclear plant.

We've stayed off property a lot - if you need to watch your budget it's the best way to go.  There's plenty of cheap and decent lodging that is close by.  And now with Uber/Lyft you don't even need to rent a car.  There's obvious benefits to staying on property but if I'm not getting free dining then I'm usually looking to stay off property.
yeah, not the way to go for everyone, but we have loved it.  We didn't love the All-Star resort and even had to get 2 adjoining rooms.  Hated the bus system - they didn't run that timely when we were there, though most here say it's great.  

The offsite deal is about the price of 1-2 nights at an All-Star room ...for a 3 bedroom condo, kitchen, living room ...direct tv in all the rooms.  We also like dining outside of disney about half the time - and getting breakfast in the condo.  

yeah, not the way to go for everyone, but we have loved it.  We didn't love the All-Star resort and even had to get 2 adjoining rooms.  Hated the bus system - they didn't run that timely when we were there, though most here say it's great.  

The offsite deal is about the price of 1-2 nights at an All-Star room ...for a 3 bedroom condo, kitchen, living room ...direct tv in all the rooms.  We also like dining outside of disney about half the time - and getting breakfast in the condo.  
Yep, you've highlighted most of why we've liked it.  In addition, you can find places that can hold larger groups and make it much cheaper.  We've gone with 2-3 families before and stayed at a nice home pretty cheap - one with a private pool.

The other big thing is that we found that we didn't utilize the resorts that much - we spent all our time at parks and other places so we didn't get to enjoy what we were paying for.

Its pretty crazy how cheap the off site properties are.    

Yep, you've highlighted most of why we've liked it.  In addition, you can find places that can hold larger groups and make it much cheaper.  We've gone with 2-3 families before and stayed at a nice home pretty cheap - one with a private pool.

The other big thing is that we found that we didn't utilize the resorts that much - we spent all our time at parks and other places so we didn't get to enjoy what we were paying for.
no doubt, in four trips, we used the pool once, and watched one of their nightly movies in the clubhouse once.   It's primarily a place to flop and relax.  

Judging by the hour long wait for the rental car tonight, thick traffic at 10:30 tonight and lack of fastpasses showing available for tomorrow; I’m thinking it might be just a bit busy. Expected, but will report back.

Contemporary and AKL are much nicer resorts.  I think the kids will have fun at any - to me the adults would be the one to consider for the resort.  If you don’t have a car then I agree with @Redwes25 - go Contemporary as you can avoid the buses to 2 parks.
I did Contemporary 3 times with my 4 kids and was a great experience.  When they are younger less time traveling and flexibility matters most so IMO you get more “value” for your money.

One year we had access to the Atrium.  If it is the same thing we had it is a special area that you have access anytime that you can grab drinks, food/appetizers/desserts.   It has a great view of fireworks where they pump in the sound while watching from the balcony.  

We would stop in before dinner and have a cocktail.  It was really a next level experience.

I did Contemporary 3 times with my 4 kids and was a great experience.  When they are younger less time traveling and flexibility matters most so IMO you get more “value” for your money.

One year we had access to the Atrium.  If it is the same thing we had it is a special area that you have access anytime that you can grab drinks, food/appetizers/desserts.   It has a great view of fireworks where they pump in the sound while watching from the balcony.  

We would stop in before dinner and have a cocktail.  It was really a next level experience.
club level is indeed a great experience, but it makes an already expensive room more expensive. It comes down to your budget. On the flip side, depending on the difference, it could save you $$ on dining. If you are not someone that needs a traditional breakfast or mid-day meal, you can pop in for some finger foods before heading out and eliminate a meal cost. Plus the concierge can help in getting you into a restaurant or other nominal requests. 

We did club level at Boardwalk for our honeymoon and it was great. One AM we were sitting next to and met Tim Allen in the lounge. 

in an interesting development (well at least for WDW),  the ABC Commissary appears to be adding self-serve soda fountains. This makes the 1st counter service location outside the resorts to offer self-serve beverages. It does a lot to help move you through the ordering process, but moreover, I wonder if they will begin accepting the rapid-fill resort mugs? 

This has always been an annoyance of mine. The mugs work great but are really limited to the resorts, and if you are someone who doesn't spend much time there, you can debate their value, esp given the meal plan gives you a drink with a meal purchase anyway. My wife annoys me b/c she will always grab a coffee or drink before leaving the resort, then i'm stuck with this useless mug all day in the park taking up decent room in the bag. If they expand the refill program to the parks, then this would be a home run IMO and make the mugs much more useful. 

Judging by the hour long wait for the rental car tonight, thick traffic at 10:30 tonight and lack of fastpasses showing available for tomorrow; I’m thinking it might be just a bit busy. Expected, but will report back.
My kids are on winter break this week - godspeed 

ETA - I should note we are in Atlanta and know a ton of families headed down their this week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 13 hours at the park and never rode 7 Dwarves, Thunder or Space (although don’t really like that one anyway). Still enjoyed the day and rode a lot of favorites. Good dinner at Be Our Guest but got sat in the library and was surprised to see it is a $60 set 3 course menu now. Not exactly a value for my 12 and 11 year old girls. Off tomorrow before trying to rope drop FOP on Tuesday at AK......

They're pushing that early morning magic business on people now.  The "influencers" are hitting it hard.  Every single time I see a compliant about wait times on twitter or reddit someone chimes in about riding the slinky coaster 4 times before the parks open.  I kind of get it, but I don't think that would ever be an option for my family.  Just have to draw the line I guess?   family of 4, is about $450-$500 to walk into a park for the day.  Add $300 to basically just add an hour and 15 minute VIP access to a few rides.  

I'm a conspiracy guy though.  I think they manipulate the wait times.  Make it look like early morning magic is the only way to "get to ride everything."  

They're pushing that early morning magic business on people now.  The "influencers" are hitting it hard.  Every single time I see a compliant about wait times on twitter or reddit someone chimes in about riding the slinky coaster 4 times before the parks open.  I kind of get it, but I don't think that would ever be an option for my family.  Just have to draw the line I guess?   family of 4, is about $450-$500 to walk into a park for the day.  Add $300 to basically just add an hour and 15 minute VIP access to a few rides.  

I'm a conspiracy guy though.  I think they manipulate the wait times.  Make it look like early morning magic is the only way to "get to ride everything."  
Assuming everything is operating.  Space Mountain was down at early rope drop at MK last time I was there.  It didn’t open for 3 hours after regular open.  So my FP was worthless and standby wait times went to 3+ hours in less than half an hour.  Serious nickel and diming going on at the mouse house these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming everything is operating.  Space Mountain was down at early rope drop at MK last time I was there.  It didn’t open for 3 hours after regular open.  So my FP was worthless and standby wait times went to 3+ hours in less than half an hour.  Serious nickel and diming going on at the mouse house these days.

If a ride is down while you are holding a FP for it, the FP should convert to an "anytime FP"  making it good for any other time that day once the ride is open or any other attraction 

If a ride is down while you are holding a FP for it, the FP should convert to an "anytime FP"  making it good for any other time that day once the ride is open or any other attraction 
I know, but mine did not.  Keep in mind it was a peak day (weekend before Christmas).  

I hear ya. They are milking the #### out of these special openings, and while I have no numbers to back it up, most likely reducing the number of days the park id open early for resort guests. Its a total money grab...but on the flip side with the people coming in droves to these new lands/rides and keeping them at steady 2-3+ hour waits, its a no brainer for Disney to charge for special access to it. I don't even want to think of what they have up their sleeve once SWland opens.

I hear ya. They are milking the #### out of these special openings, and while I have no numbers to back it up, most likely reducing the number of days the park id open early for resort guests. Its a total money grab...but on the flip side with the people coming in droves to these new lands/rides and keeping them at steady 2-3+ hour waits, its a no brainer for Disney to charge for special access to it. I don't even want to think of what they have up their sleeve once SWland opens.
Yeah, I get it.  Its a business, they're here to make money.  I'm critical of Disney, but I still love it.  I've been super fortunate to be able to go a lot.  But what irks me the most is your typical family that gets 1 or 2 shots at the "Disney Vacation."  

Like you, I have no numbers to back this stuff up, but my guess is the typical family of 4 trip to Dis is 5 or 6 days and probably about $1000 per day when its all said and done.  These guys drop this money and plan ahead 12 months for the room, 6 months for dining, 3 months for FP's and there is still no guarantee after you spend $6000 that you can take your family on FoP or the slinky coaster.  You'll be lucky to ride Space mountain twice and Peter Pan and the mine train once.  

I don't know what the better way is, but I wish there was one.  

When we first started going to Disney, extra magic hours was key. Now, to me, it's the opposite.

We avoid the parks with extra magic hours. However, that trend seems to now becoming the norm.

When we first started going to Disney, extra magic hours was key. Now, to me, it's the opposite.

We avoid the parks with extra magic hours. However, that trend seems to now becoming the norm.
Depends on the park, but yeah.  Extra Magic hours means that park is gonna be packed that day.  We did HS this Christmas and by passed toy story land during magic hours.  We rode ToT and RNR 2 or 3 times each in about 45 minutes.   Slinky was a 95 minute wait.  

Yeah, I get it.  Its a business, they're here to make money.  I'm critical of Disney, but I still love it.  I've been super fortunate to be able to go a lot.  But what irks me the most is your typical family that gets 1 or 2 shots at the "Disney Vacation."  

Like you, I have no numbers to back this stuff up, but my guess is the typical family of 4 trip to Dis is 5 or 6 days and probably about $1000 per day when its all said and done.  These guys drop this money and plan ahead 12 months for the room, 6 months for dining, 3 months for FP's and there is still no guarantee after you spend $6000 that you can take your family on FoP or the slinky coaster.  You'll be lucky to ride Space mountain twice and Peter Pan and the mine train once.  

I don't know what the better way is, but I wish there was one.  
Every year, esp around the time when ticket prices go up, the experts debate if "the average family is getting priced out of a WDW vacation?" But yet lines are longer, there is no real slow time anymore and the special events like Halloween parties are booked solid starting way back in August. 

I cringe whenever I talk to a 1st timer planning their vacation, they really have no idea and are in for a world of hurt on their expectations (in most cases). We do have the luxury of being there often and knowing the ins and outs. And like you, I have no problem being critical but do love my trips.  And for all the WDW decenters out there, the current park situation make it hard to defend a trip for someone who is not 100% into it. 

One thing I will say about Disney that I like is that the Florida resident 4 day pass is dirt cheap.  I do get some sweet lodging deals from time to time as well.  

Every year, esp around the time when ticket prices go up, the experts debate if "the average family is getting priced out of a WDW vacation?" But yet lines are longer, there is no real slow time anymore and the special events like Halloween parties are booked solid starting way back in August. 

I cringe whenever I talk to a 1st timer planning their vacation, they really have no idea and are in for a world of hurt on their expectations (in most cases). We do have the luxury of being there often and knowing the ins and outs. And like you, I have no problem being critical but do love my trips.  And for all the WDW decenters out there, the current park situation make it hard to defend a trip for someone who is not 100% into it. 
Yeah, I feel awful when I talk to friends and neighbors and they're planning their first trip.  

You think the deal is annual passes?  I know at DL if there are 50k people in the park 30k of them have passes.  I just wonder if thats the deal in WDW now?  Locals get a pretty screaming deal on the passes.  The doesn't explain the hotel prices though.  So who knows.   :shrug:

They're pushing that early morning magic business on people now.  The "influencers" are hitting it hard. 

Timely

Disney After Hours selling out at both Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios

1 hour ago in "Disney After Hours"

Disney After Hours appears to be having a surge in popularity, with two nights having recently sold out during this holiday weekend.

Tomorrow night's event at Disney's Animal Kingdom on February 19 2019 is now sold out, and a night at Disney's Hollywood Studios sold out last week.

All Disney After Hours event tickets cost $125 + tax for advance purchase and $129 + tax for day-of purchases. Disney Vacation Club members and Annual Passholders do receive a discounted price $95 + tax.

The event gives you access to the park for three hours after regular park hours, which means nearly no wait for attractions, and you can enter the park early – at 7pm on your event night – before Disney After Hours begins. Ice cream, popcorn and non-alcoholic beverages are also included in your Disney After Hours admission, which is a separately priced ticket from daytime park admission.

Users who are viewing this thread