What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

Lots going on in early april.

After what seems like decades, TRON is officially opening on April 4, 2023.

April 3rd will be the final showing of Harmonius at Epcot, and the Stargate and ugly taco barges will be removed and replaced with the former show Epcot forever to fill the gap until a new show is ready.

Also on April 3rd, Happily Ever After fireworks will return to the MK

While I hated the barges in Epcot, I did like Harmonius as a show, not as much as illuminations, but def better than Epctpo Forever. I'm glad that HEA is returning to MK, the current show "Disney Enchantment" Ias just Meh IMO.

Dang we will just miss TRON by a week, unlikely we will go back ever again but never say never (3 boys are 14, 11, and 9 so I don’t see another trip in our near future) This one was supposed to be a few years ago then COVID came and I still had tickets so here we are
For $5K-$10K there are plenty of other places I’d rather go

Dang we will just miss TRON by a week, unlikely we will go back ever again but never say never (3 boys are 14, 11, and 9 so I don’t see another trip in our near future) This one was supposed to be a few years ago then COVID came and I still had tickets so here we are
For $5K-$10K there are plenty of other places I’d rather go
keep an eye out for "soft openings" while you are there. They often do procedure tests and such with guests at random times of the day leading up to the actual opening. But its often a situation where its closed one minute and open another, so you need to kind of stalk the area a little bit or buddy up to a cast member and see if they will spill any info.

We just got back from Disneyland two weeks ago. As far as convenience goes it’s unbeatable if you stay on property or close to it. Our Grand California hotel literally had an entrance attached to the park. I like how close the parks are, especially when compared to Florida where every park is miles away from each other.

The food was also 10x better than DW too. Medium rare steak? On a Disney property? Fries with…Parmesan and garlic and flavor? So much good food there. Shocking.

Both parks are smaller and not as many rides but we loved it. Just so much easier than DW to plan for.
What were your favorite places to eat, Cappy? We’re going to Disneyland in June and had been underwhelmed at the food selection compared to WDW just looking at the choices.
We loved the character breakfast at the storyteller’s cafe at the grand California hotel. Food was crazy good. Medium rare steak, a delicious and actually juicy carved Turkey breast and the kid was thrilled with all the characters. Of course they had a bunch of brunch items too.

Had a really good meal at blue bayou that is in the pirates ride at DL. That was probably the best in park meal. We had a sit down at Wine Country Trattoria at DCA which is Italian themed. Didn’t care for their bolognese but then they brought me a steak (I was trying to avoid 3 steaks in 3 days) and that was great. Never had so many perfectly cooked steaks on Disney property.

Also the cart food was all good. Corn dogs are famous, good cocktails around DCA and we were absolutely blown away by some short rib poutine we had at Disneyland. Back by Pinocchio somewhere in fantasyland. Had pickled onions and radishes - go out of your way for this.

I'm gonna test the waters tonight and make my pitch. AK - Kidani Village (176 points), Copper Creek Villa (170) Old Key West (140) and Saratoga Springs (144) seem to be our options left. All those are 2 bed rooms.

You have a preference of those? I've never even looked in any of those?

Rivera Resort is an option too, but too many points (232).

AK: love that resort as a whole. Having the savana is like living in a zoo for a few days. I prefer Jambo house b/c that's where the main action is (quick service, grand lobby, gift shop, etc). Kidani has a breakfast and coffee pop-up at Sanaa in the AM but it's not like the full-blown QS breakfast. Also, the resorts are not super close, you need to take a shuttle between Jambo and Kidani which is a bit of a pain IMO. THey both have their own bus stop, and I belive Kidani is the 1st stop so that makes it a little better b/c you are on/off faster.

We just stayed in Saratoga and loved it. Recently redone rooms, lots of pools and great pool grill at one of them. Easy walk or boat ride to Disney springs. Its a huge property, so if you can, def get the preferred sections, there are closer to the hospitality and Disney Springs. Otherwise, you could find yourself really away from the action (and prob on your wife's sh!t list). The buses take a bit longer b/c they have 5 stops they make (that's how big it is).

I like OKW but it def has a different, older vibe to it. I'd pick SS over OKW, and OKW is my home resort. Its just a little smaller then SS but has less pools and food options.

I've never stayed at copper creek but its still in the MK area. Apparently, it was just refurbished wich is a plus. I've been to wildrenss lodge and really enjoyed it's so I would consider it as a viable option.

all in all, you need to find out what your wife's attraction to the polly is. I get it, MK sightlines/fireworks, monorail, cool vibe. Yuo def lose those when you start working your way out to the other resorts. CC has the boat to MK, so that's at least a little easier to get around, but otherwise, any of these you are looking at buses only. PLus once you are in the resort, you are there, no fireworks, or beaches, etc. AKL is the only one do these that is "special" as in they have the savanna. SS has Disney springs and at night it looks nice to walk around the water and see the lights.
I think we're leaning towards Wilderness. There is absolutely nothing about Disney Springs we care to do, to me that kind of rules out OKW and SS...at least in my mind.

We like a pool, poolside bar and thats about it. Thats what we like about the Poly so much, is just hanging out there. Wilderness seems to have all that, being close to TTC and MK is a plus.

I'm gonna test the waters tonight and make my pitch. AK - Kidani Village (176 points), Copper Creek Villa (170) Old Key West (140) and Saratoga Springs (144) seem to be our options left. All those are 2 bed rooms.

You have a preference of those? I've never even looked in any of those?

Rivera Resort is an option too, but too many points (232).

AK: love that resort as a whole. Having the savana is like living in a zoo for a few days. I prefer Jambo house b/c that's where the main action is (quick service, grand lobby, gift shop, etc). Kidani has a breakfast and coffee pop-up at Sanaa in the AM but it's not like the full-blown QS breakfast. Also, the resorts are not super close, you need to take a shuttle between Jambo and Kidani which is a bit of a pain IMO. THey both have their own bus stop, and I belive Kidani is the 1st stop so that makes it a little better b/c you are on/off faster.

We just stayed in Saratoga and loved it. Recently redone rooms, lots of pools and great pool grill at one of them. Easy walk or boat ride to Disney springs. Its a huge property, so if you can, def get the preferred sections, there are closer to the hospitality and Disney Springs. Otherwise, you could find yourself really away from the action (and prob on your wife's sh!t list). The buses take a bit longer b/c they have 5 stops they make (that's how big it is).

I like OKW but it def has a different, older vibe to it. I'd pick SS over OKW, and OKW is my home resort. Its just a little smaller then SS but has less pools and food options.

I've never stayed at copper creek but its still in the MK area. Apparently, it was just refurbished wich is a plus. I've been to wildrenss lodge and really enjoyed it's so I would consider it as a viable option.

all in all, you need to find out what your wife's attraction to the polly is. I get it, MK sightlines/fireworks, monorail, cool vibe. Yuo def lose those when you start working your way out to the other resorts. CC has the boat to MK, so that's at least a little easier to get around, but otherwise, any of these you are looking at buses only. PLus once you are in the resort, you are there, no fireworks, or beaches, etc. AKL is the only one do these that is "special" as in they have the savanna. SS has Disney springs and at night it looks nice to walk around the water and see the lights.
I think we're leaning towards Wilderness. There is absolutely nothing about Disney Springs we care to do, to me that kind of rules out OKW and SS...at least in my mind.

We like a pool, poolside bar and thats about it. Thats what we like about the Poly so much, is just hanging out there. Wilderness seems to have all that, being close to TTC and MK is a plus.
all good, I don't think you can go wrong there. Speaking of bars, make some time to check out Geiser Point while there. Its a beautiful (covered) outdoor bar and QS location that has great beers and arguably the best cheeseburger on the property. It overlooks bay lake so you have some great views and ambiance.

My daughter tonight at dinner:
"Dad, I was thinking we could a long weekend in late April and go to Epcot. I really want to see the flower festival again".
*Me typing on my phone.*
Daughter: "Well, can we go, please"?
My wife: *sigh* "He's checking rooms on the DVC site".

*edit * Old Key West it is....

Last edited:
Wife told me that she wants to ride GotG and Tron. Looks like we are headed down at the end of April. Going to look at renting DVC points to stay at the Poly.

Wife told me that she wants to ride GotG and Tron. Looks like we are headed down at the end of April. Going to look at renting DVC points to stay at the Poly.
I'm also a DVC member and looking to dump (rent) some points before fall. IF interested, just let me know

Get with glvsav37. He was talking about renting points a month or so ago.
Mine are all rented, sorry. But, I did rent them to another FBG, so I greatly appreciate all of you guys on this forum!
@Deranged Hermit Have a blast! We did Saratoga last year and loved it!

Not Disney, but, eh, it’s an Orlando theme park… in the middle of three days at Universal Studios Orlando. Currently sipping on a beverage at a bar near the Hulk ride while kid is doing Suess Land with my wife (I did Suess Land with him earlier, so rotating that stuff). Staying at the Loews Portofino.

Impressed with Universal so far. First time here. Harry Potter attractions are pretty cool, even if they get you with things like buying a wand that will use for about an hour or so, but whatever.

I just realized, I'll be in Magic Kingdom the day after the SB. Might see a mini Super bowl parade.
Hate to break it to you GB, but the Super Bowl parade will be in Disneyland this year.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday while lounging about at the pool. 😞
I have to say though, I love Saratoga Springs. My wife and I are here now and she's been raving about the room since we got here. She even admitted that I was right about something, which never happens. 😉

I just realized, I'll be in Magic Kingdom the day after the SB. Might see a mini Super bowl parade.
Hate to break it to you GB, but the Super Bowl parade will be in Disneyland this year.

I have to say though, I love Saratoga Springs. My wife and I are here now and she's been raving about the room since we got here. She even admitted that I was right about something, which never happens. 😉
Awesome....what section are you staying in? My wife loved it too. It helps that the rooms were recently renovated so it still has the "New resort smell" Plus if you are into leisurely walks in the morning, SS has a really nice walking path through the middle of the resort.

Hey, do you know about the "Secret food window?" at SS? Go behind the main building and follow the path to the pro shop/golf area. Its right below the Turf Club restaurant. Its called Chip n Dale's Cafe and its meant for the golfers, but anyone can order there. They have lunches that are a little different than the main QS upstairs. I had an amazing chicken quesadilla there, and it was nice a quiet with outdoor tables. And of course being it's for the golfers, good drinks too.

Also, check out the pool grills for other food alternatives. We really liked the food at the Paddock pool. Burgers and fish tacos!!

Awesome....what section are you staying in? My wife loved it too. It helps that the rooms were recently renovated so it still has the "New resort smell" Plus if you are into leisurely walks in the morning, SS has a really nice walking path through the middle of the resort.

Hey, do you know about the "Secret food window?" at SS? Go behind the main building and follow the path to the pro shop/golf area. Its right below the Turf Club restaurant. Its called Chip n Dale's Cafe and its meant for the golfers, but anyone can order there. They have lunches that are a little different than the main QS upstairs. I had an amazing chicken quesadilla there, and it was nice a quiet with outdoor tables. And of course being it's for the golfers, good drinks too.

Also, check out the pool grills for other food alternatives. We really liked the food at the Paddock pool. Burgers and fish tacos!!
We're in The Grandstand. Very nice rooms.
We did see Chip and Dale's, but we didn't look at the menu. We saw when we went to the boat launch to Disney Springs. We arrived much earlier than anticipated on Friday, so the wife wanted to go to Disney Springs. I know Capella didn't speak highly of Homecomin' in the past, but the wife and I liked it. The moonshine flight was top notch as well.

Stayed there a couple of times. It’s a great place and love the access to Disney Springs.

ETA: I thought Homecomin was overrated. Maybe it’s bc there are so many places here in FL that do the same food better.

Stayed there a couple of times. It’s a great place and love the access to Disney Springs.

ETA: I thought Homecomin was overrated. Maybe it’s bc there are so many places here in FL that do the same food better.
Is it the best fried chicken ever? No, it's not. I could have been (let's face it, I was) absolutely blasted, but it was pretty good. I do like their moonshine drinks.
All in all, I like Raglan Road, Boathouse and Paddlefish the best in Disney Springs, but I haven't tried some of the heavy hitters like STK and Jaleo.

Is it the best fried chicken ever? No, it's not. I could have been (let's face it, I was) absolutely blasted, but it was pretty good. I do like their moonshine drinks.
All in all, I like Raglan Road, Boathouse and Paddlefish the best in Disney Springs, but I haven't tried some of the heavy hitters like STK and Jaleo.
Love Raglan Road and the Morimoto place is really good. Paddlefish is solid too. Wine Bar George is a sleeper and it’s awesome. Trying the Boathouse for the first time next Saturday night.

Looking for advice: we have a pretty sweet room at Saratoga Springs right now. 1st floor, right next to the main building, corner room. This morning my wife took a bath and we instantly noticed water on the carpet right behind the wall. We want to stay in the room, even saying we won't use the tub, we'll just use the separate shower.
They seem pretty insistent on moving us, so should we ask for some kind of compensation? I don't care, but my wife seems a little pissed.

Looking for advice: we have a pretty sweet room at Saratoga Springs right now. 1st floor, right next to the main building, corner room. This morning my wife took a bath and we instantly noticed water on the carpet right behind the wall. We want to stay in the room, even saying we won't use the tub, we'll just use the separate shower.
They seem pretty insistent on moving us, so should we ask for some kind of compensation? I don't care, but my wife seems a little pissed.
Accept nothing less than them shutting the MK down for the day only for your private enjoyment. lol

ugh sorry to hear. They prob want to move you so they can get crews in there to fix it before the next scheduled guest arrives. As for compensation, I would at least ask for a bigger room, IDK what category you are in but the move from a studio > 1 bedroom is a big difference. Other than that, the resort staff doesn't have much they can comp unless you go far up the chain. Maybe some food credits, or free Genie+ added to your account for the rest of the trip with some anytime lightning lane access 🤷‍♂️ Unless you are an owner they cant credit you points.

I most def would not move anywhere but the preferred area, at SSR there is a huge location difference between preferred and standard.

sorry it put a damper on your wife's enjoyment of the resort.

I met the former Head of Resorts for WDW, Dan Cockeral, at a conference once and he said something that always stuck with me. There are over 30k resort rooms at Disney, and he said that if every housekeeping CM did their job at 99% accuracy, that would still leave about 500 unhappy guests per day.

Accept nothing less than them shutting the MK down for the day only for your private enjoyment. lol

ugh sorry to hear. They prob want to move you so they can get crews in there to fix it before the next scheduled guest arrives. As for compensation, I would at least ask for a bigger room, IDK what category you are in but the move from a studio > 1 bedroom is a big difference. Other than that, the resort staff doesn't have much they can comp unless you go far up the chain. Maybe some food credits, or free Genie+ added to your account for the rest of the trip with some anytime lightning lane access 🤷‍♂️ Unless you are an owner they cant credit you points.

I most def would not move anywhere but the preferred area, at SSR there is a huge location difference between preferred and standard.

I met the former Head of Resorts for WDW, Dan Cockeral, at a conference once and he said something that always stuck with me. There are over 30k resort rooms at Disney, and he said that if every housekeeping CM did their job at 99% accuracy, that would still leave about 500 unhappy guests per day.
I just told them we're not moving. They wanted us to move across the property into the same kind of room (one bedroom villa). To their credit, even though I could tell they were less than happy, they said ok. The wife is a little peeved we can't use the bath tub, but she hated the idea of moving across the other side of the complex even more, so it evens out.

I just told them we're not moving. They wanted us to move across the property into the same kind of room (one bedroom villa). To their credit, even though I could tell they were less than happy, they said ok. The wife is a little peeved we can't use the bath tub, but she hated the idea of moving across the other side of the complex even more, so it evens out.
yea no...SSR is not a resort where everywhere is equal. Its too large and spread out, same for OKW. Anything outside the preferred area circle is a whole other resort experience. Sorry she can't use the tub but, if that was their only solution, then you made the right choice.

yea no...SSR is not a resort where everywhere is equal. Its too large and spread out, same for OKW. Anything outside the preferred area circle is a whole other resort experience. Sorry she can't use the tub but, if that was their only solution, then you made the right choice.
I ran into the kid I originally talked to about the tub problem the other night. I told them about the "solution' that was offered and he laughed and said I would have told them to shove it too. Good kid, he was very nice and personable and legitimately seemed to want to help.

Any tips on how to get dining reservations at hard to get restaurants. I used to be able to get them pretty easy, but the past couple times it's been impossible to get a reservation.

Any tips on how to get dining reservations at hard to get restaurants. I used to be able to get them pretty easy, but the past couple times it's been impossible to get a reservation.
you gotta keep checking, but its a PIA.

or you can use a paid service like Mouse Dining, or Mouse Watcher and plug in your preferences and if a reservation opened up they will text you. But you gotta be quick, there is usually a bunch of people trying to get that reservation and 1st one to snatch it wins.

If you are looking for anything at Disney Springs, you can also use Open Table. THey are privately owned restaurants and don't have to have all of their tables go through Disney's ADR system.

Lastly, if you are looking for either of the Rain Forrest Cafe's, T-Rex or Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom, get a Landry's Select Club card. With the card you dont need a reservation, just walk up and show the host staff and you will get the next available seat.

Depends on where, but try Open Table for restaurants in Disney Springs. I find there are way more time slots available that way than through Disney’s turrible setup.

or you can use a paid service like Mouse Dining, or Mouse Watcher and plug in your preferences and if a reservation opened up they will text you. But you gotta be quick, there is usually a bunch of people trying to get that reservation and 1st one to snatch it wins.

If you are looking for anything at Disney Springs, you can also use Open Table. THey are privately owned restaurants and don't have to have all of their tables go through Disney's ADR system.

Lastly, if you are looking for either of the Rain Forrest Cafe's, T-Rex or Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom, get a Landry's Select Club card. With the card you dont need a reservation, just walk up and show the host staff and you will get the next available seat.

Thanks, I wanted to take the family to O'hana. We haven't been there in a few years because there is never any available times.

Thanks, I wanted to take the family to O'hana. We haven't been there in a few years because there is never any available times.
If you go there around 4:00, you should be ok, reservation or not, as long as you don't have a huge party. 4 or less you shouldn't even have a very long wait. More than that it get dicey.

Love Raglan Road and the Morimoto place is really good. Paddlefish is solid too. Wine Bar George is a sleeper and it’s awesome. Trying the Boathouse for the first time next Saturday night.
Lobster roll from Boathouse followed by a Gideons cookie is my favorite meal on Disney property.

Last two visits to OHana might be the last. That first platter with the noodles, wings and stickers is still as good as ever but there was not one entree worth eating. Chicken was so dry, shrimp was mealy and chalky with no flavor but the steak was the worst. Cooked medium it's dry and flavorless, cooked medium rare you can't get it down you will just chew forever. Bread pudding is still great although I think they changed the sauce.

4 adult, 2 kid prices with drinks and you're approaching a $400 meal. Very hard to justify. Used to be our favorite meal every trip.

Lobster roll from Boathouse followed by a Gideons cookie is my favorite meal on Disney property.
The new dark chocolate cherry cookie is fantastic. Probably my favorite cookie from them so far and that's saying something since I pretty much like them all.

Absolute insanity at MK today. It's mid Feb and it's crowded like it's mid july.
We used to always go over this weekend and extend a couple days since it’s a 4 day weekend for many kids and it was better than spring break at the time. Sounds like maybe not so much anymore….
I couldn't believe it. We got to the park about 10:30ish and went right to Haunted Mansion. Not too bad, 30 minute wait posted, probably waited 20 minutes. After that it was all downhill. Nothing less than 50 minutes. Peter Pan was 90 minutes. Mine Train was 120. Jungle Cruise was 100 minutes.
At least the weather was awesome, 82 degrees and sunny. We got primo spots for both the noon parade and the fireworks so not all was bad.

Absolute insanity at MK today. It's mid Feb and it's crowded like it's mid july.
We used to always go over this weekend and extend a couple days since it’s a 4 day weekend for many kids and it was better than spring break at the time. Sounds like maybe not so much anymore….
I couldn't believe it. We got to the park about 10:30ish and went right to Haunted Mansion. Not too bad, 30 minute wait posted, probably waited 20 minutes. After that it was all downhill. Nothing less than 50 minutes. Peter Pan was 90 minutes. Mine Train was 120. Jungle Cruise was 100 minutes.
At least the weather was awesome, 82 degrees and sunny. We got primo spots for both the noon parade and the fireworks so not all was bad.
It's been a mad house on this weekend for quite sometime. I will not visit Florida on this weekend ever again lol. It's really bad now that the Daytona 500 is always the same weekend

It's been a mad house on this weekend for quite sometime. I will not visit Florida on this weekend ever again lol. It's really bad now that the Daytona 500 is always the same weekend
Good to know, I figured that next week would be bad because of the holiday. Never would have guessed it would have leaked into this past Thursday.
We were supposed to hit up MK on Monday, but my wife's Chrone's disease smacked her hard Monday and Tuesday so we had to push it til the end of the vacation.

The new dark chocolate cherry cookie is fantastic. Probably my favorite cookie from them so far and that's saying something since I pretty much like them all.
Recently had the chocolate banana bread cookie... Instant new favorite. But you're right they're all awesome.

Good to know, I figured that next week would be bad because of the holiday. Never would have guessed it would have leaked into this past Thursday.
We were supposed to hit up MK on Monday, but my wife's Chrone's disease smacked her hard Monday and Tuesday so we had to push it til the end of the vacation.
And I think but could be wrong but Florida schools have extended time off also. Like wed-monday or Friday -wednesday. I don't recall exactly

I say this as someone who used to January, then one time did this weekend and barely found a rental car. And this was well before covid

I've also done Daytona so no stranger but not an expert lol ;)

Disney Springs is crazy busy right now.
Yeah, it was pretty terrible on Thursday night too. The wife and I wanted to get a drink after we left MK, but you couldn't even move around. We got to the World of Disney store and just turned around and went back to Saratoga Springs.

Disney Springs is crazy busy right now.
Yeah, it was pretty terrible on Thursday night too. The wife and I wanted to get a drink after we left MK, but you couldn't even move around. We got to the World of Disney store and just turned around and went back to Saratoga Springs.
Good call. We ate at the Boathouse. Love their coconut mojitos :thumbup:
I had the Shipwreck at Boathouse on Sunday night. I don't know why, but I seem to gravitate towards rum while on vacation over my usual bourbon and vodka.

If you go there around 4:00, you should be ok, reservation or not, as long as you don't have a huge party. 4 or less you shouldn't even have a very long wait. More than that it get dicey.

Therein lies the problem. We have a party of 6 when we travel.

Stayed at the Drury Plaza Hotel near Disney Springs. It was excellent and a pretty good value. They include breakfast and also a light "kickback" dinner that includes a few free drinks per night. I usually stay in one of the DVC villas, and would definitely stay at the Drury again if not using DVC points.

Users who are viewing this thread