What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Django Unchained -- new Tarantino film (1 Viewer)

I don't see how anyone could like Django more than Basterds. IB is similar to Django story-wise but superior in just about every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how anyone could like Django more than Basterds. IB is similar to Django story-wise but superior in just about every way.
Yep.Both had their silly over the top gore, but basterds had flashes of brilliance- namely the opening and the tavern scenes. There was nothing in Django that came close to either of those scenes or the other top scenes from basterds.

I really, really liked this movie. Tarantino is one weird but brilliant dude. The scene with all of the klan guys arguing that they couldn't see out of their white sheet masks had me rolling.

I really, really liked this movie. Tarantino is one weird but brilliant dude. The scene with all of the klan guys arguing that they couldn't see out of their white sheet masks had me rolling.
I liked that scene too. Also, well I'm positive he's dead.

who wins in a newfound manlove competition? DiCaprio vs Timberlake
DiCaprio easy. My dilemma is DiCaprio versus Matt Damon.
...and they're both so good in The Departed, it's hard to choose.
Departed > any movie since 97
Criminally underrated.
It was criminally an above average, if, at times, painfully telegraphed and heavy handed.

Honestly everything about that film,acting, production values, script etc. was above average but hardly special. Some people in here treat it like The Godfather, but I'm just not seeing it.

Tarantino needs to move away from his homage to every other style of film phase. I liked Inglorious Basterds and was entertained by the Kill Bills and Django but they were not special films and don't hold a candle to Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

Pulp FictionReservoir DogsKill BillsTrue Romance (writer)Jackie BrownInglorious BastardsDjango UnchainedDeath Proof
I think people cling to Pulp Fiction a little too much. IMO there are a couple scenes/characters that drag the movie down, namely Tarantino himself and the annoying blueberry pancake #####.

I would rank them:

Jackie Brown

Inglorious

Kill Bill 1

Res.Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill 2

Django

Death Proof

Criminally underrated.
It was criminally an above average, if, at times, painfully telegraphed and heavy handed.

Honestly everything about that film,acting, production values, script etc. was above average but hardly special. Some people in here treat it like The Godfather, but I'm just not seeing it.
I guess I'd ask you to name a crime drama in the last five or ten years that's much better than The Departed.

Yep.Both had their silly over the top gore, but basterds had flashes of brilliance- namely the opening and the tavern scenes. There was nothing in Django that came close to either of those scenes or the other top scenes from basterds.
I loved some of the dialogue in Unchained, but Basterds is the superior film.

Pulp FictionReservoir DogsKill BillsTrue Romance (writer)Jackie BrownInglorious BastardsDjango UnchainedDeath Proof
I think people cling to Pulp Fiction a little too much. IMO there are a couple scenes/characters that drag the movie down, namely Tarantino himself and the annoying blueberry pancake #####.

I would rank them:

Jackie Brown

Inglorious

Kill Bill 1

Res.Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Kill Bill 2

Django

Death Proof
For me, it's:

Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction

Inglorious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill 1

Kill Bill 2

Django

Death Proof

I think I did this in another thread so I could get called out on changing the order but for me it's:

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Inglorous Basterds

Jackie Brown

Kill Bill 2

Django

Kill Bill 1

Death Proof

Most people like KB1 more than 2 but I thought there was way too much fighting and gore. The Crazy 88s and all that. Got boring. I probably need to watch it again and reevaluate.

I think I did this in another thread so I could get called out on changing the order but for me it's:

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Inglorous Basterds

Jackie Brown

Kill Bill 2

Django

Kill Bill 1

Death Proof

Most people like KB1 more than 2 but I thought there was way too much fighting and gore. The Crazy 88s and all that. Got boring. I probably need to watch it again and reevaluate.
KB2 has more of that great Tarantino dialogue than KB1. But that hotel scene alone elevates KB1 for me.

Finally got to watch it last night. Overall, I'd give it a 8/10. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit too long. Felt it dragged on a bit too much in parts.

I don't understand why Doc didn't just shoot the guy holding the shotgun after shooting Candie? That gun in his sleeves had two shots, right? After he shot the sheriff in the beginning he went up and shot him again.

Honestly, I need to see Django again to have a better idea about it vs IB or other Tarantino movies besides knowing I really liked it, but I think overall the characters and acting in Django are more interesting, and for me that might be enough to give it an edge. Waltz in IB takes the cake, but he doesnt get much help eslewhere. As much as I like Pitt, wasnt impressed with him there. Whereas I thoroughly enjoyed DiCaprio and Foxx, among others, in Django. I agree that also the best 2-3 scenes of both films may very well all be in IB, but like I said I really need to see Django again.

jdoggydogg said:
Criminally underrated.

I guess I'd ask you to name a crime drama in the last five or ten years that's much better than The Departed.
:goodposting:

Nothing is close, for me.

Pending another viewing of Django, hell maybe even tonight, Id tentatively go:

Jackie Brown

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Django

Basterds

KB2

KB1

Death Proof

I know you're a movie snob, but it's ok to be a movie snob and actually like movies. I'm not sure I've ever seen you make a positive post about a film on this forum without some backhanded comment attached to it.

Grahamburn said:
I know you're a movie snob, but it's ok to be a movie snob and actually like movies. I'm not sure I've ever seen you make a positive post about a film on this forum without some backhanded comment attached to it.
I see Karma post positive things about film all the time :shrug:

Criminally underrated.

Memento and Training Day

Criminally underrated.

Memento and Training Day
I like both movies, but I think The Departed is far better than both of them.

Finally got to watch it last night. Overall, I'd give it a 8/10. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit too long. Felt it dragged on a bit too much in parts.

I don't understand why Doc didn't just shoot the guy holding the shotgun after shooting Candie? That gun in his sleeves had two shots, right? After he shot the sheriff in the beginning he went up and shot him again.
Saw this the other night and really enjoyed it. But this scene had me confused too. In the first half of the movie, Doc is a freaking beast who mows down multiple assailants all the time.

But then when they get to candieland, it's like he turns into a giant ######. In his death scene he cannot even take down two men who aren't expecting it. I get that he had to die, and I dug the "awe shucks" nature of his death, but logistically it bothered me.

Criminally underrated.

Memento and Training Day
I like both movies, but I think The Departed is far better than both of them.
When I watch The Departed, all I can think is: State of Grace 2.0.

Finally got to watch it last night. Overall, I'd give it a 8/10. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit too long. Felt it dragged on a bit too much in parts. I don't understand why Doc didn't just shoot the guy holding the shotgun after shooting Candie? That gun in his sleeves had two shots, right? After he shot the sheriff in the beginning he went up and shot him again.
Saw this the other night and really enjoyed it. But this scene had me confused too. In the first half of the movie, Doc is a freaking beast who mows down multiple assailants all the time. But then when they get to candieland, it's like he turns into a giant ######. In his death scene he cannot even take down two men who aren't expecting it. I get that he had to die, and I dug the "awe shucks" nature of his death, but logistically it bothered me.
Hi, Woz. I missed you and your movie reviews.

Grahamburn said:
That's odd - I don't think I've ever seen you in a movie thread or interacted with you before.

Didn't you get the memo - jdogg is our resident movie snob.

Criminally underrated.

I have started coming around on The Departed. Crime drama is a pretty wide genre, but movies from the time you listed that I really enjoyed:

Mystic River

Collateral

Zodiac

No Country for Old Men

Sexy Beast

History of Violence

Eastern Promises

Infernal Affairs

City of God

Again, with a few of these we are not comparing apples to apples, but still a few comparable movies from the last decade.

Criminally underrated.
It was criminally an above average, if, at times, painfully telegraphed and heavy handed. Honestly everything about that film,acting, production values, script etc. was above average but hardly special. Some people in here treat it like The Godfather, but I'm just not seeing it.
I have started coming around on The Departed. Crime drama is a pretty wide genre, but movies from the time you listed that I really enjoyed: Mystic RiverCollateralZodiacNo Country for Old MenSexy BeastHistory of ViolenceEastern PromisesInfernal AffairsCity of God Again, with a few of these we are not comparing apples to apples, but still a few comparable movies from the last decade.
Have you seen Oldboy? Going by your list, I think you would like it.

History of violence made me mad. It was an excellent premise and they layered the characters and showed the disruption to the family and town and then....meh.

Eastern promises was good but couldn't decide whether to be a two hour action flick or a three hour drama.

Ncfom is my favorite movie, so no harm in not measuring to that.

Collateral is very underrated. The scene where fox had to be Vincent and get the targets is as good as it gets.

No idea if it qualifies as a crime drama since there were no cops, but "drive" is sensational.

Departed is excellent.

Criminally underrated.
It was criminally an above average, if, at times, painfully telegraphed and heavy handed. Honestly everything about that film,acting, production values, script etc. was above average but hardly special. Some people in here treat it like The Godfather, but I'm just not seeing it.
I have started coming around on The Departed. Crime drama is a pretty wide genre, but movies from the time you listed that I really enjoyed: Mystic RiverCollateralZodiacNo Country for Old MenSexy BeastHistory of ViolenceEastern PromisesInfernal AffairsCity of God Again, with a few of these we are not comparing apples to apples, but still a few comparable movies from the last decade.
Have you seen Oldboy? Going by your list, I think you would like it.
:yes:

and love that movie

Grahamburn said:
That's odd - I don't think I've ever seen you in a movie thread or interacted with you before.

Didn't you get the memo - jdogg is our resident movie snob.
:thumbup:

Criminally underrated.

I have started coming around on The Departed. Crime drama is a pretty wide genre, but movies from the time you listed that I really enjoyed:

Mystic River

Collateral

Zodiac

No Country for Old Men

Sexy Beast

History of Violence

Eastern Promises

Infernal Affairs

City of God

Again, with a few of these we are not comparing apples to apples, but still a few comparable movies from the last decade.
This is a solid list. I thought Mystic River was flawed. Loved Zodiac, No Country, and Sexy Beast. The rest are good, but I think Departed is still in the top three with any of these movies.

Very entertaining film, but I don't think I'd put it in the top half of the QT canon. Then again, I didn't like Basterds that much when I first saw it, either, but it really grew on me in repeat viewings.

The music didn't disappoint at all, though. I just about fell off my chair when "I Got A Name" started playing.

I watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not a huge Tarantino fan by any means (like some of his stuff, kind of meh on others), but I thought Django was very entertaining and that Foxx, Waltz, and DiCaprio were all great in it.

DiCaprio/Depp for me. Love to spend a day hanging out with both guys, seeing all the tail Leo pulls and just hanging out with Depp looks like it would be epic amounts of fun.

Finally got around to seeing this film. As others have said, I thought it was good not great. Felt every second of the running time which was a problem for me. Thought Waltz, Leo and Sam Jackson were terrific. Waltz is really an amazing actor. Foxx was good but I wonder what Will Smith could've brought to the role. The Jonah Hill cameo was far worse than Tarantino's for me. Jonah Hill in a period piece about slavery? Someone actually thought that was a good idea.

Like all of Tarantino's films there's enough there to captivate and keep you interested and oftentimes completely wow you. But I don't think he's made a truly great film since "Jackie Brown." I think it may be time for him to scale back his approach and tell a more self-contained type of story. The revenge fantasies feel a bit played out now.

Death Proof is terrible.
If "Death Proof" was made by an unknown director I think it would be universally mocked. Because it's a Tarantino film people hold it in higher esteem than it deserves in my opinion. I understand the point of the "Grindhouse" films but that doesn't mean you still can't make a good film. Rodriguez did with "Planet Terror." Tarantino pretty much fails completely with "Death Proof" (although as I posted at the start of this thread I did think Kurt Russell was very good in it).

Death Proof is terrible.
If "Death Proof" was made by an unknown director I think it would be universally mocked. Because it's a Tarantino film people hold it in higher esteem than it deserves in my opinion. I understand the point of the "Grindhouse" films but that doesn't mean you still can't make a good film. Rodriguez did with "Planet Terror." Tarantino pretty much fails completely with "Death Proof" (although as I posted at the start of this thread I did think Kurt Russell was very good in it).
QT should be embarrassed for Death Proof. It was one of the worst movies of recent years.

Death Proof is terrible.
QT should be embarrassed for Death Proof. It was one of the worst movies of recent years.
Very painful first half that just drags on and on...

But that second half car chase alone is worth the price of admission.

Death Proof is terrible.
I heard him on Howard Stern talking about how he didn't want to be a great director who made a terrible film because he wouldn't want it tarnish his legacy. He was criticizing some legendary directors who made crap at one time or another. All I could think of was a real interviewer with stones would ask him how he could say that with a straight face and be that critical considering "Death Proof" was on his resume.

You need to see more movies.
I watch 'em all the time. And it was that bad. I probably had higher than normal expectations from a strong director like QT.
Did you see Contrabond? Now that is a #### movie.

I can't watch a movie like Deathproof and agree it's bad. That you don't like it is totally cool and I cannot argue with that. But once we start saying, "This is the worst," or, "This is the best," it's hard to defend that position.

It's all subjective but I'll say again that I think you can make a strong case that "Death Proof" is one of the worst movies made in recent years by an acclaimed director. Saying it's better than "Contraband" isn't a rousing endorsement. I haven't seen "Contraband" so only assuming it's schlock and it's a Mark Wahlberg action flick so I'm not sure how great it could be to begin with. The bar is set higher than that for a Tarantino film and I think "Death Proof" falls considerably short of expectations. The only thing Tarantino did right in that film was cast Kurt Russell, who was great. But it's a paper thin plot with uninteresting characters (save Russell's). It's a pretty huge disappointment for a director of Tarantino's caliber.

Honestly, I need to see Django again to have a better idea about it vs IB or other Tarantino movies besides knowing I really liked it, but I think overall the characters and acting in Django are more interesting, and for me that might be enough to give it an edge. Waltz in IB takes the cake, but he doesnt get much help eslewhere. As much as I like Pitt, wasnt impressed with him there. Whereas I thoroughly enjoyed DiCaprio and Foxx, among others, in Django. I agree that also the best 2-3 scenes of both films may very well all be in IB, but like I said I really need to see Django again.
:goodposting:

Completely agree with this take. But I've now seen Django a few more times and it's definitely a bit better than IB for the reasons you've outlined. Brad Pitt takes it down a notch for me (and like you, I usually like him in his films--not so much in IB).

It's all subjective but I'll say again that I think you can make a strong case that "Death Proof" is one of the worst movies made in recent years by an acclaimed director. Saying it's better than "Contraband" isn't a rousing endorsement. I haven't seen "Contraband" so only assuming it's schlock and it's a Mark Wahlberg action flick so I'm not sure how great it could be to begin with. The bar is set higher than that for a Tarantino film and I think "Death Proof" falls considerably short of expectations. The only thing Tarantino did right in that film was cast Kurt Russell, who was great. But it's a paper thin plot with uninteresting characters (save Russell's). It's a pretty huge disappointment for a director of Tarantino's caliber.
I'd watch Deathproof 10 times rather than see one of these movies again:

Tetro - Francis Ford Coppola

Bringing Out the Dead - Martin Scorsese

The Girlfriend Experience - Steven Soderbergh

The Terminal - Steven Spielberg

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - Jim Jarmusch

I'd watch Deathproof 10 times rather than see one of these movies again:

Tetro - Francis Ford Coppola

Bringing Out the Dead - Martin Scorsese

The Girlfriend Experience - Steven Soderbergh

The Terminal - Steven Spielberg

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - Jim Jarmusch
Who cares?

Finally seen it last night. I liked it but it was a bit too long. Besides knowing the ending before it happened, the last 20 minutes were unnecessary. He probably should've ended it when Walz was killed. It lost my attention after that and frustrated me when the ending happened the way I assumed it would. Not better than IB IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread