What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DL Jared Allen (1 Viewer)

Jared Allen led all rookie DL with 9 sacks. My gut instinct tells me he will have a nice year as a full time starter. Curious if anyone has some historical information on the topic. Based on history when a DL does something like this in his rookie season do they typically turn out to be nice players or are there many examples of D-ends going down the tubes after a promising start to their career?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know any historical correlation of players with decent sack numbers and if they trun out be any good. But taking a quick look I see that Freeney and Peppers had 13 and 12 sacks their rookie seasons. Jared Allen fell one sack short of matching Derrick Thomas team record of 10 sacks in his rookie year. While Allen played in 15 games he only started 10. If I remeber correctly, Allen also had 2 sack nullified due to penalties. I grab allen around week 7 of last year. So far his stats are on pace with decent company. I expect him to be better fundamentally this year and reach double digit sacks. I don't know how he will pan out long-term, but he's certainly worth a roster spot

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen will probably not be a full time starter in that he at best will be sharing time with Carlos Hall due to his run defense deficiencies as the Chiefs brass has been stating it ... no dount the man can rush the passer, but will he get you the tackle numbers you may need?

If your league rewards a lot of points for sacks, he may be able to help quite a bit. He is worth a fill-in spot otherwise.

Historically, I have no idea.

I did manage to grab him off the wire in 3 dynasty leagues late last fall so I'm definately smoking the kool-aid on Allen. I have seen scouting reports that refer to him as a 'high motor' guy. I usually will take a chance on an obscure LB if he has the high motor tag. I hope he continues and builds off the success of his rookie season. The part that keeps my optimism grounded is that he is a 'lightly regarded DE ' from Idaho State. Seems to get by on guts and determination rather than talent. (although I didn't see much of him play last year) You may be right that 9 sacks is is maximum upside and its down hill from here. What worries me is what happens when OCs, who have had the spring to fully disect the 2004 season, begin to focus on Allen? What happens when he gets double teamed? KCs DLine is less than stellar so there is not protection of playing opposite a Peppers, Berry or Jason Taylor. He has Eric Hicks on the other side. :rolleyes:

On the Chiefs site, it says he has been working to get more muscle mass. He seems like a hard worker so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will hit 10+ sacks. I know full well that I could be very wrong but I am not pinning my FF success on 10+ sacks from Allen. For a wire pick up, his upside out paces the risk.

Historically, I have no idea.

I did manage to grab him off the wire in 3 dynasty leagues late last fall so I'm definately smoking the kool-aid on Allen. I have seen scouting reports that refer to him as a 'high motor' guy. I usually will take a chance on an obscure LB if he has the high motor tag. I hope he continues and builds off the success of his rookie season. The part that keeps my optimism grounded is that he is a 'lightly regarded DE ' from Idaho State. Seems to get by on guts and determination rather than talent. (although I didn't see much of him play last year) You may be right that 9 sacks is is maximum upside and its down hill from here. What worries me is what happens when OCs, who have had the spring to fully disect the 2004 season, begin to focus on Allen? What happens when he gets double teamed? KCs DLine is less than stellar so there is not protection of playing opposite a Peppers, Berry or Jason Taylor. He has Eric Hicks on the other side. :rolleyes:

On the Chiefs site, it says he has been working to get more muscle mass. He seems like a hard worker so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will hit 10+ sacks. I know full well that I could be very wrong but I am not pinning my FF success on 10+ sacks from Allen. For a wire pick up, his upside out paces the risk.
The Carlos Hall factor has me worried too. I am concerned that Allen might not play enough on 1st and second downs to get tackles. My league is big on tackles. If your league rewards big on sacks, I believe Allen will enter double digits this year.

I am not really worried about Carlos Hall. To be honest, if he was as good as he was the year he filled in for Kearse, the Titans would have kept him because his salary was cheap.You will see a rotation on the defensive line to start the season but you may see Allen pick up time as the season goes on if he can stack up against the run.To answer the original question. Is he going to be a stud? No, because he won't get the tackles to put him there. Is he a fluke? Probably not becaus, IMO, if you can get near double digit sacks with the reaminder of that DL, you are doing pretty well. I also expect the Chiefs to be able to bring more pressure from the linebackers which will eat up more of the offensive line and probably cause more "coverage" sacks.I think he could be a respectable DL3 but I wouldnt put him any higher than that.

Users who are viewing this thread