What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you let your younger children swear? (1 Viewer)

My 6 year old son was listening to his iPod last night and telling me a Maroon 5 song Mommy had just downloaded for him was driving him crazy.  I asked which song and he said This Summer's Gonna hurt like a Mutha####er and how he pronounced Mutha####er was pretty funny.  I told my wife she was definitely in the early lead for Mother####er of the Year now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I taught my kids that swear words are just words, and that they should only be used in appropriate settings and circumstances.  A 16 year-old hanging out with friends is a perfectly fine time to use a swear word, but using swear words at school, in front of adults, or as an insult, is not appropriate.

Swear words are a part of life, there's no escaping it.  Nearly everybody uses them in some way or another, they are in books, movies, and songs.  I think it's best to teach your kids how to use them appropriately rather than trying to eradicate the words from their vocabulary.

As for the "low class" comments - you people must be referring to a different level of swearing then I am used to in my professional and personal life.
This is exactly how I do it.

Is ### (rear end) a swear word??  Where would it rank in the hierarchy of swear words??

Because I drop that one daily, even when I'm coaching 14U softball... 

I taught my kids that swear words are just words, and that they should only be used in appropriate settings and circumstances.  A 16 year-old hanging out with friends is a perfectly fine time to use a swear word, but using swear words at school, in front of adults, or as an insult, is not appropriate.

Swear words are a part of life, there's no escaping it.  Nearly everybody uses them in some way or another, they are in books, movies, and songs.  I think it's best to teach your kids how to use them appropriately rather than trying to eradicate the words from their vocabulary.

As for the "low class" comments - you people must be referring to a different level of swearing then I am used to in my professional and personal life.
agreed, it's sort of along the lines of using OMG / LOL or whatever shorthand you might use over text or email.  Fine in certain fora, not okay in others. I might say G-D it if I hit my finger with a hammer at home but I won't say it at church.  I expect my kids to learn the appropriate use of language.

Smart people know more curse words, nothing surprising about that. Doesn't mean they use them more often.
:goodposting:

Oh and thank goodness it was a study of 43 college students. Any broader participation than that might have been a good sample size. Of course college students exemplifies a pool of low class and high class individuals.

People pointing to this study as science that you are smarter if you swear aren't smart enough to realize what an awful study it is and conclusion it draws.

I think as long as you're not saying, "I'd like to put it in that girl's ###," you're fine.  
Good point...

We have a pretty good pitcher, her dad is pretty tough on her.. She was struggling a bit Monday night and I called time-out..  I said something to the effect of "Listen, I'm not your dad, I'm not coming out here to chew your ###...etc etc"

Last edited by a moderator:
They can say everything but ####.  And that's only because my wife doesn't like that word.  Of course she doesn't, she's a ####.

Users who are viewing this thread