What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you let your younger children swear? (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
I was with a buddy who told me that his 5 year old son dropped a "mother------" the other day.  My friend apparently thought it was funny although he told his son he's not allowed to say those words around others.  However, he's seemingly ok with him saying around his family.  Now I drop the F-bombs a good bit myself, but I cringe even when my 17 year old says, "s--t".  I realize a good part of my reaction is how I was brought up so I'm struggling with how to feel about the situation, but I'm curious where the rest of you come down on this.  

Would you or do feel comfortable with your younger children swearing?  If not, why not?  Beyond 'that's not how I was brought up', is there anything inherently wrong with kids swearing?  

Not at all. 

Might not be popular, but swearing comes off as low class to me. I agree that sometimes, jokes are better with a cuss word or two, but generally speaking, it makes people sound ignorant. 

I don't but I am also a hypocrite in that area since I swear around them way too much when I get mad about something.  I just tell them I don't always give a good example, need to do better, and not to follow my lead with the swearing.

Inherently wrong, no, but it's sounds low-class.  My nearly 8 year old daughter has almost never heard a swear word and I plan to keep it that way as long as possible. If she did use swear words I would be most concerned that she would use it in inappropriate places (school) because kids don't make the best decisions.

Inherently wrong, no, but it's sounds low-class.  My nearly 8 year old daughter has almost never heard a swear word and I plan to keep it that way as long as possible. If she did use swear words I would be most concerned that she would use it in inappropriate places (school) because kids don't make the best decisions.
People that are saying it sounds low class, do you mean swearing by anyone is low class, or swearing by children is low class?

We rarely swear in front of our seven year old. Doesn't matter cuz he picked up every word possible in first grade. Those little ####s.

He knows not to say them though.

I think it's a no fly zone until the kid is 18. Even then you can use the,

"If you're old enough to swear, you're old enough to live on your own argument."

If you can't respect your parents, then you're probably going to end up a lowlife.

People that are saying it sounds low class, do you mean swearing by anyone is low class, or swearing by children is low class?
I wont speak for CSTU, but for me, its everyone. Im not talking about kicking the couch and dropping one, I'm talking about the people that swear in their everyday conversation. You sound like a moron IMO.

I look at swearing as the ideal vehicle through which to explain hypocrisy to my children.  When Daddy tells them to do as I say, and not as I do, that is a marvelous life lesson and will be an important bonding agent with their friends as they grow through adolescence.  I mean I would not want to deny them the opportunity to have the shared experience with their friends that their parents were hypocrites.

I think it's a no fly zone until the kid is 18. Even then you can use the,

"If you're old enough to swear, you're old enough to live on your own argument."

If you can't respect your parents, then you're probably going to end up a lowlife.
LOL #### off with that ####### simplistic bull####.  Go back to offering bull#### unsolicited ####### stock tips.

Go suck some more #######ed #### you ####### ######.

Last edited by a moderator:
I let my 14 year old swear around me but not my 7 year old. The older one knows that it isn't to be done out in public.

I wont speak for CSTU, but for me, its everyone. Im not talking about kicking the couch and dropping one, I'm talking about the people that swear in their everyday conversation. You sound like a moron IMO.
IMO swearing should be used for emphasis not casually thrown around. It sounds low class to me when people don't even think about the appropriateness of the language they're using.

That is unbelievably naive unless home schooled and very few friends. I don't let my kids swear at all and my oldest is 14, but he's likely my best behaved one. They all know all the swear words, hard to avoid them when ##### and others are thrown around even in Marvel movies. That said, they are all good kids so they also know we don't tolerate them saying it, so I'm proud of them for recognizing the difference between knowing about them and using them. I'm like skillz, a bit of a hypocrite since I do accidentally swear. I don't swear like a sailor, but hey I went to college, was in a frat, did a lot of drinking, etc. so I can't say it isn't in my vernacular and won't slip out when ticked off.

ETA: Wow, the sh word gets blocked out even with an asterisk in it?

I make it a point to not swear around my children (10, 15, 17) and they know it won't fly with me. I think I can count 3 times in their lives that I've slipped up. That being said it's everywhere, impossible to insulate them from the world. The oldest is starting to test the boundaries and I know eventually they will have to make the choice on their own. All you can do is be the good example and hope it sticks. 

My parents would whoop my ### if I swore around them until I was an adult... 

People are such bad drivers, I can't avoid cursing in the car, nobody knows how to drive, it is ####### infuriating - so in the car my son hears it, unfortunately in the car he is now adopting to it too. 

I beeped the horn at some moron sitting at a green light, I gave the idiot a 5 second grace period (which is more than enough), as soon as I laid the horn into the guy my son yells "green means go ####### #######"... I tried to scold him, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Nope.  Kids are 18, 14, and 12.  The 12 and 14 year old have never uttered a swear word in my presence.  We also frown on semi-swear word, like crap.  I don't let them use words like that and encourage them to broaden their vocabulary and use more descriptive words (when they were real young my wife forbid them from using "hate" and wanted them to say something different like "dislike with passion."  They actually though hate was a swear word until they got to kindergarten).

My 18 year old, now in college, started to think she could swear in our presence in high school.  I simply told her that there is language you use when in the presence of friends, different language for around family/people you respect, and language in the professional setting.  Each is different.  She stopped swearing, and when she uses questionable language, I give her the look and she gets the idea to stop.

Granted, I'm not one to shield them from swear words, but want them to understand they have a time and place.  We watch Planes Trains and Automobiles everything Thanksgiving and I laugh my ### off when he tries to return the rental car and swears every other word.  Time and place for everything.

My 6 year old son never swears but my 5 year old daughter seems to channel Sarah Silverman's stand up act, there are times I even blush when she is on a tirade.

If you swear in public as part of your everyday vocabulary, you're likely pretty trashy. If you let your young kids swear, you might as well marry your cousin, buy that single-wide of your dreams, and eat the rest of your meals at The Golden Corral.

People are such bad drivers, I can't avoid cursing in the car, nobody knows how to drive, it is ####### infuriating - so in the car my son hears it, unfortunately in the car he is now adopting to it too. 

I beeped the horn at some moron sitting at a green light, I gave the idiot a 5 second grace period (which is more than enough), as soon as I laid the horn into the guy my son yells "green means go ####### #######"... I tried to scold him, but I couldn't stop laughing.
It sounds like swearing isn't the big ticket item you're teaching your child.  

My 4 year old is constantly saying "f'ing cats, f'ing towels. f'ing broccoli" whenever he is angry about something.  I'm sure he got it from me.  It's tough because if we tell him not to it will be the only word he uses.  We learned that lesson when he was saying "poopy".  Now it's his favorite word and is used in every sentance. "We learned about the food chain in school today, POOPY BUTT!!"   We try to ignore it but an intervention is brewing. 

There's nothing low class with swearing. Everyone is doing it second nature by 11th grade, and it only increases from there. You think these billionaire business execs don't do it every 5 minutes? It's something I'd try to keep away in a family setting, they'll learn it organically as they get older. Let them learn it through friends and life.

None of my kids have ever been caught swearing.  Ages 8, 12, 14.  They have heard a combined one swear from their parents - I was overheard by my daughter swearing when talking to my brother on the phone once.

I swear a normal amount when I'm not with them.

A lady goes to the butcher and he says he's got a new kind of ham called ###### ham. Being a good Christian woman, she's reluctant to try it, but it's on sale and the butcher swears it's the best ham he's ever tasted.

When she gets home she tells her husband she bought some ###### ham. He's aghast, and scolds her for cursing, but she explains that's the actual name of the ham.

That night they're having dinner with their 8 year old son Mikey. Dad says "Honey, would you please pass the ###### ham?"

Mikey's eyes light up. "Atta boy Pop, and how about you pass me the ####in' potatoes!"

I try not to swear around my 16 and 11 year old daughters, but sometimes it just happens accidently, but usually just the low key PG type stuff.

My 16 year old daughter thinks it is just the best thing in the world to swear. We got into a fight the other day and she called me a "F'n butthole" except it was the real deal. I don't hit my kids, but I have to tell you at that moment, it took all the restraint I could muster not to smack her. I walked over and took her phone instead.  

I've still never heard a good argument for why these words are somehow wrong to say. I understand the argument that they make you sound ignorant to some people, but that, in and of itself, doesn't make it wrong to say the words. I'm also not aware any evidence that would suggest that that's a reasonable assumption for anyone to make.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with swearing (I do it certain circles of friends) but it's really more of a respect issue in my opinion. Parents project their ideals on their children as they raise them and hope they stick. I am not delusional, I know my kids will (or probably already) swear. When they are adults and out on their own I really don't care if they swear, I'll be content to know they didn't learn it from me. But by not swearing in front of them I'm setting the example of how I expect them to talk to me. That being said, I'll be shocked if I can get all 3 kids out on their own without them calling me a ******* ******* at least once.

Was watching jurassic park over the weekend on HBO with kids.   One dood comes on and says son of a ##### and my 4 yr old starts cracking up and says " he said Son of a fish"  " that's silly"

pollardsvision said:
I've still never heard a good argument for why these words are somehow wrong to say. I understand the argument that they make you sound ignorant to some people, but that, in and of itself, doesn't make it wrong to say the words. I'm also not aware any evidence that would suggest that that's a reasonable assumption for anyone to make.
I never understood why its ok for my son to say he has to poop but if he says he has to #### its blasphemy.

I taught my kids that swear words are just words, and that they should only be used in appropriate settings and circumstances.  A 16 year-old hanging out with friends is a perfectly fine time to use a swear word, but using swear words at school, in front of adults, or as an insult, is not appropriate.

Swear words are a part of life, there's no escaping it.  Nearly everybody uses them in some way or another, they are in books, movies, and songs.  I think it's best to teach your kids how to use them appropriately rather than trying to eradicate the words from their vocabulary.

As for the "low class" comments - you people must be referring to a different level of swearing then I am used to in my professional and personal life.

Users who are viewing this thread