What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your league count off for int and fumbles? (1 Viewer)

Bengalsfan

Footballguy
A league I joined this year doesn't. When I asked about it I was told "a lot of leagues don't." I've never been in one that doesn't until now. I was told "it's like int returns for TD's by a def or long field goals...just another random thing that can skew scores. Not to mention weather events which can drastically change outcomes..."

Thoughts?

Are you asking if we subtract points for interceptions thrown by QB's and fumbles by any offensive player?

If so, then yes we do in our league. Like you, I've never played in a league that didn't

I would compare it somewhat to the argument between ppr and non ppr.

It's just different, not necessarily wrong.

My league scores 1 point for every 5 return yards. It's ridiculous. Keyshawn Martin is a weekly starter and a top 10 overall WR.

It's not wrong. Just different.

I've never played in a league that doesn't do negative points. I don't think I would join a league like that either

All leagues i play in deduct for int and fumbles, havent seen it without.

I played in a league that had -6 pts for a pick six. that was brutal and made you really dislike WRs with bad hands.

Always look over scoring before committing to a league. I've backed out of leagues (prior to the season) after joining and looking at scoring rules i didn't like.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with subtracting for INTs is that how do you know whose fault it is? Team A could have the QB and be tied with Team B who has the WR. QB throws perfect pass to WR and it bounces off the WR for an INT. Team A gets punished for Team B's players incompetence and Team B gets rewarded.

Those breaks go both ways. There's no difference whatsoever between your story of bouncing off a WR for a pick and bouncing off a DB for a reception.

Those breaks go both ways. There's no difference whatsoever between your story of bouncing off a WR for a pick and bouncing off a DB for a reception.
There is a difference. In your play, both players get the points for the play. It's somewhat of a wash so to speak. In my case the team with the player making the bad play gets rewarded while the one making the good play gets penalized.

You are penalizing good play while I am not.

As a matter of fact, the team with the WR probably just extended his lead on the team with the QB in your example.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most of my leagues we deduct points for interceptions/fumbles, but I do play in one or two that doesn't.

We deduct -2 for fumbles, INTs and sacks. The penalty for sacks adds a different dimension and can really screw up a QB's scoring in an otherwise "good" day in standard leagues. It made Cutler unrosterable a couple of years ago (and i actually started him that crazy week against the giants when he got sacked about 8 times from menory, then got injured - he scored -24 that week i believe!). Of course though, you have the issue of "fault" with sacks and sometimes I think it's a bit harsh to penalise like we do. Next year I'm going to try to get it changed to -1 I think.

My one league we don't and we also only count touchdowns as 3 points. I think it has something to do with the scoring system being created in 1995 before the fantasy football boom

Dr. Brew said:
My league scores 1 point for every 5 return yards. It's ridiculous. Keyshawn Martin is a weekly starter and a top 10 overall WR.

It's not wrong. Just different.

I've never played in a league that doesn't do negative points. I don't think I would join a league like that either
No ... it's wrong.

To make an insignificant player a top 10 just "because" is nonsense ... may as well give pts for bench time or worse yet ppr

I have no problem with 1 pt for for every 20 or 30 yards to make them relevant but top 10? Nope!

And to answer the original question ... All leagues should deduct pts for turnovers.

Why would the QB that threw 1 td and 4 ints get the same credit as the the QB who threw 1 td and 0?

The FBG Survivor Leagues don't subtract for turnovers. As with anything, there are advantages and disadvantages to it.

On the plus side, it's nice to know that once a player (except for DSTs) has put up points that they're "in the bank" (especially in a survivor format, where your only real goals each week are immunity or avoiding elimination).

The minus is that it makes the concept of league "value" further divorced from NFL value, especially for QBs. Personally that doesn't really bother me much - you just need to know going in that a gunslinger like Cutler has more value than a protection artist like Big Ben relative to other leagues and draft accordingly. For others, it's a bigger deal. Different strokes.

In general, I like unorthodox leagues. I feel that the more the roster requirements / scoring rules diverge from the usual standards, the greater my opportunities to identify sources of hidden value, and the bigger my advantage over my fellow owners.

The problem with subtracting for INTs is that how do you know whose fault it is?
The problem with that thinking is it pretends that all the stats aren't dependent on the team as a whole.

Is Kaepernick this bad, or does he simply have no targets to throw to?

Would Peterson be performing much better if he had a passing game to keep D's honest and a defense that kept games close?

If Larry Fitzgerald were playing in New Orleans would his statistics be completely different than what they are now? What if Graham and Fitz switched teams? Would Graham still be a stud?

ALL the stats are dependent on more than one player. Positive stats. Negative stats. The OL that forced an early throw. The defense that put the team in a position where they had to pass no matter what the coverage is. The coach that called a hail mary before end of the half. The receiver that runs the wrong route. Yeah, they all contribute.... just like every ten yard completion is a result of a group effort.

Extra penalty for a pick 6 is just dumb. Often a pick is a receiver's fault. The league should fix the INT stat and have an official scorer determine who to charge with the pick, like with errors in baseball.

I do play in a league that does not subtract points for INTs but subtracts 1 point for Fumbles lost. I don't think it really changes much in the long run.

Extra penalty for a pick 6 is just dumb. Often a pick is a receiver's fault. The league should fix the INT stat and have an official scorer determine who to charge with the pick, like with errors in baseball.
So a QB shouldn't be penalized when his receiver makes a bad play but he should get credit when his receiver makes an incredible play?

Should Dalton get credit for the hail Mary that AJ Green caught?

Often a TD is a pretty poor throw and the receiver makes a great play to make the reception. Should the league "fix" the TD's that weren't very good throws by the QB?

Sounds like an even more endless can of worms than "is this trade collusion or just a stupid trade" if you ask me.

So a QB shouldn't be penalized when his receiver makes a bad play but he should get credit when his receiver makes an incredible play?

Should Dalton get credit for the hail Mary that AJ Green caught?
If the WR making the bad play isn't getting penalized.....than yeah...the QB probably shouldn't be penalized.

If Peyton hits Welker in the hands and Welker drops it, knees it straight up in the air and a linebacker takes it to the house, Peyton shouldn't be penalized -6 points. -1 I can live with because football isn't always fair, but -6 is lunacy.

I have been the commish of a league for 9 years and we have never taken off points for INTs or fumbles.

We subtract for ints but not fumbles. Not sure why, just never came up and nobody ever suggested adding it.

A good formula for INTs might be to award redemption points for passing TDs or 300 yard games. For example, start at -3 for a pick, but if the QB throws 3 TDs or 300 yards, it adjusts to -1 per pick. Might give a better overall picture of the QB's performance for the game. If you want to get really creative, award bonuses for QB rating, or game-winning TDs thrown with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

In my main league, we deduct for interceptions. -20 points for each, while TDs are 30.

Brutal, but no points off for fumbles.

In my other league, no negative points for either. I made the rules in that league. I like it that way. I'd been in one league once that did that, and really liked it.

Hate negative points. Personal preference.

Old school leagues that were started when you had to get numbers from the newspaper did not have negative points..

Too much to try and figure out
We had a league like this but added -2 for INT & FUM about a decade ago. Every league I play in is either -1 or -2.

The problem with subtracting for INTs is that how do you know whose fault it is? Team A could have the QB and be tied with Team B who has the WR. QB throws perfect pass to WR and it bounces off the WR for an INT. Team A gets punished for Team B's players incompetence and Team B gets rewarded.
Same as NFL football. :shrug:

jackdubl said:
Same as NFL football. :shrug:
Yep and it's a flawed system there too.

Users who are viewing this thread