What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins To Go Deep Less? (1 Viewer)

Gandalf

Footballguy
Sounds like Chambers will get fewer deep targets. Something to consider heading into this season.

Here's the link:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/15018796.htm

Posted on Wed, Jul. 12, 2006

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ

MULARKEY TWEAKS OFFENSE

BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

Dolphins chatter:

• The Dolphins say they're keeping the same offensive system they ran under new Rams coach Scott Linehan, but players expect some differences under new coordinator Mike Mularkey. For example: Though Mularkey will go deep to take advantage of Daunte Culpepper's arm, the sense is there won't be as many long passes as Linehan called.

''The offense is going to be more controlled and more balanced,'' receiver Chris Chambers said. ``Linehan liked to go downfield a little bit more. Early in the year last year, we were throwing up balls just to be throwing it up. Now there's a reason behind a lot of the stuff we're doing. [Mularkey] wants a tough, physical team. I like his approach.''

KC Joyner of espn.com tells us that Miami threw 179 medium or deep passes (balls thrown at least 10 yards) last season, or 11.2 per game. Buffalo -- then coached by Mularkey -- threw 102, or 6.4 per game. (Culpepper attempted just under 10 per game with Minnesota.) For passes thrown at least 20 yards, Miami attempted 93, Buffalo 46.

''I think how we attack, obviously, I have different ways of doing it than Scott,'' Mularkey said.

It will be interesting to watch Culpepper's accuracy on deep balls. Playing with Randy Moss in 2004, Culpepper completed 32.6 percent of passes thrown at least 20 yards, with 12 TDs and five INTs.

Without Moss last year -- when Culpepper missed nine games -- he was 26.6 percent on deep balls (four TDs, five INTs).

• Dom Capers won't have the defensive coordinator title, but that essentially is his job. ''Maybe some day he'll be that, but not this year,'' coach Nick Saban said. Miami is saving a bundle by withholding that title. Now Houston, which fired him as head coach, must pay Capers $2 million in 2006, and Miami only $300,000.

• Though Kay-Jay Harris and Gerald Riggs Jr. weren't anything special in minicamps -- and Travis Minor is a spare part -- the Dolphins like Sammy Morris and feel no urgency to acquire another backup running back before camp. . . . After initial talks with receivers Kevin Johnson and Az Zahir-Hakim, Miami hasn't pursued either. Talks with defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson continue. . . . Saban recently called Ahmad Brooks, the Virginia linebacker and top prospect in Thursday's supplemental draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. That's half the reason people really like Chambers this year. They envision lots of bombs from Culpepper to Chambers ala Culpepper to Moss.

Without Moss last year -- when Culpepper missed nine games -- he was 26.6 percent on deep balls (four TDs, five INTs).
Horribly misleading stat. If I had to guess I would say 1/3 of the time Culpepper was throwing long last year (prior to his injury) there was a 14-21 point deficit, and at least one was a hail mary to close out a half (I think vs. Cincinnati). You just can't expect to throw deep with success in that situation, even though you do have to throw deep. I think this plan is generally good news for Culpepper. He's very proficient when he gets good coaching and he has never had problems in ball control offense.

Hmmm. That's half the reason people really like Chambers this year. They envision lots of bombs from Culpepper to Chambers ala Culpepper to Moss.
That's why he's very overrated. Chambers drops so many deep balls. This is actually great news for prospective owners of Chambers.This means more receptions and more red-zone targets.

He's still a rediculous pick as high as he's going, but I'd feel more secure having him on my roster now (if I grabbed him).

Users who are viewing this thread