What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Quarterback would you rather have for the 2020 NFL Playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Which Quarterback would you rather have for the 2020 NFL Playoffs?

• Tom Brady

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Ryan Tannehill

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters

Faust

MVP
Assume that you are the GM for a NFL team and you had your choice of taking either Tom Brady or Ryan Tannehill as your ride or die QB for the duration of the playoffs (Wild Card weekend to the end of the Super Bowl) - which one would you take?

Here are a few of the articles that had me thinking about this question:

Is Ryan Tannehill's breakout for real? Why advanced stats love him and what's next

Ryan Tannehill leads the list of the top 10 most effective play-action passers

He Was on the Scrapheap. Then He Became the NFL’s Most Efficient Quarterback.

Ryan Tannehill becomes the highest-rated starting quarterback of 2019

Mike Herndon @MikeMiracles 

Since Ryan Tannehill took over in Week 7, the #Titans  offense is averaging over 6.8 yards per offensive snap, more than a half yard per snap better than the next best offense. The gap between #1 and #2 is bigger than the gap between #2 and #8.

https://twitter.com/mikemiracles/status/1210553074546290688?s=21

Tom Brady is showing signs of a decline. Is it real or another mirage?

Coaching traits to seek; Tom Brady's fall; Baker's crucial year

Excerpt:

TOM BRADY'S DEMISE: Shockingly, New England has the worst QB in the playoffs

I didn't think that I would ever see the day when Tom Brady was viewed as a liability for the New England Patriots, but the 42-year-old is the worst quarterback in the playoffs.

I know the Twitterverse will scorch me for disrespecting the G.O.A.T. after all that he has accomplished during a spectacular 20-year run that includes six Super Bowl titles, four Super Bowl MVP awards and three NFL MVPs, but there's no way that anyone can take an honest look at his 2019 performance and not reach the same conclusion.

Brady not only enters this single-elimination tournament with the second-lowest passer rating among playoff quarterbacks -- 88.0, ahead of only Josh Allen's 85.3 -- but his play over the last half of the season puts him at the bottom of the entire quarterbacking barrel. Since Week 9, TB12's completion percentage (56.9), yards per attempt (5.9) and passer rating (80.8) all rank 28th or worse (among quarterbacks who attempted at least 100 passes in this period). During that span, Brady had a lower completion percentage than Allen, a lesser yards-per-attempt figure than Duck Hodges and a worse passer rating than Mitchell Trubisky.

Wow!

If that's not enough to make you queasy, just take a look at his numbers from the 2019 season after he torched the Patriots' first three opponents (the Steelers, Dolphins and Jets) with spectacular play from the pocket (SEE: 67.9 percent completions, 303.7 pass yards per game, 8.6 yards per pass attempt, 7:0 TD-to-INT and a 116.5 passer rating). Since Week 4, Brady's completion percentage (59.4), yards per attempt (6.2) and passer rating (82.0) all rank among the bottom six in the league, and his passing yards per game (242.0) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (17:8) certainly don't stand out as elite production.

If we took the name off the back of Brady's jersey, there's no way that you would fear the Patriots' QB1 in a matchup against any of the elite quarterbacks in the tournament. Brady would be the underdog in one-on-one matchups against Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson, and you can at least make a very strong case for Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins and Josh Allen (running skills give him the edge) in shootouts against TB12.

I'm not being a hater. If you make the assessment strictly on how each quarterback performed on the field this season, you can't make Brady the favorite in any of those matches. Despite his playoff greatness and legendary status, he hasn't outplayed the competition, and the numbers speak for themselves. While you can make the case that Brady hasn't been helped out by a supporting cast that's struggled with the dropsies -- New England's 34 drops rank as the second-most in the NFL, per Pro Football Focus -- the quarterback hasn't performed up to the TB12 standard and it has seriously limited the Patriots' offense.

Brady used to carve up defenses attempting to rattle him with blitzes, but now he wilts under the pressure. After posting a 52.1 percent completion rate under pressure from 2016 to '18, per Next Gen Stats, he's only completed 37.4 percent of those passes in 2019 -- the third-lowest mark in the league this season. Brady has also struggled to throw the ball to the outside. He has the lowest passer rating (67.4) among 32 qualified quarterbacks on throws to wide targets, along with a 53 percent completion rate and a 5:6 TD-to-INT ratio on these tosses. Compare those numbers to Brady's production in the past three seasons:

2018: 63.4 comp%, 11:2 TD-to-INT, 101.4 passer rating.
2017: 61.1 comp%, 10:5 TD-to-INT, 96.2 passer rating.
2016: 60.8 comp%, 9:1 TD-to-INT, 101.6 passer rating.

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film, I observe more accuracy and ball-placement issues from the veteran QB than I've ever seen before. Brady repeatedly misses open receivers down the seams or along the boundary on vertical throws, and his inconsistencies have prompted defensive coordinators to come after the 14-time Pro Bowler with reckless abandon.

"He's not the same player," a former NFL defensive coordinator who routinely faced Brady told me. "He's not as accurate and he's missing more throws than ever. Plus, he's more affected by pressure because he doesn't want to get it. The pieces around him aren't as good, either, but he definitely is not the player that made you pause before dialing up a pressure."

The Patriots have been able to win Super Bowls in a variety of ways during a remarkable two-decade run, but hoisting the Lombardi Trophy this February will require them to play around their quarterback. Despite his unparalleled resume, Brady will have to hope the squad can carry him to the title as the team's weakest link.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a vacuum, Tannehill. He's playing well.

He also has a better supporting cast, though. 

Brady is not looking good and the numbers bear that out. But, if you asked me "Which QB would you rather have lead the Titans in the playoffs?" I would say Brady. Give him time and weapons and it's a different story. 

If you asked me "Would you rather have Tannehill leading the Patriots into the playoffs?" I would likely say no. With the cast around the QB in NE, I would rather take my chances on the GOAT putting together an incredible run. 

FWIW, I see lots of things in Brady's game that indicate his insanely long career is coming to an end. I'd still bank on him over Tannehill given equal conditions for a playoff run. Their conditions aren't close to equal, though. (Was typing while you posted your caveat, but I think I've covered that, anyway.)

I cannot believe this is a serious question.  Tannehill has strung together a few nice weeks but that's it.  No chance I'm taking him over the GOAT until I know Brady's done.  He's not done yet guys.

I cannot believe this is a serious question.  Tannehill has strung together a few nice weeks but that's it.  No chance I'm taking him over the GOAT until I know Brady's done.  He's not done yet guys.
Tom Brady has more playoff wins than 27 NFL franchises. Tannehill has never started a playoff game.

A year ago asking this question would be laughable and the poll would be lopsided.

Today? A different story based on how both quarterbacks are finishing the season. That in itself is pretty interesting to me.

I expect Brady to win this poll and adding the caveat tips it a bit in his direction because if you look at the supporting casts - you can make the case that Tannehill has the stronger offensive supporting cast to work with.

Brady has the experience factor that can’t be overlooked; however, one quarterback has been red hot in the second half and the other quarterback has looked pedestrian, and it is not the scenario that I would have expected to see at the start of the season.

In a vacuum, Tannehill. He's playing well.

He also has a better supporting cast, though. 

Brady is not looking good and the numbers bear that out. But, if you asked me "Which QB would you rather have lead the Titans in the playoffs?" I would say Brady. Give him time and weapons and it's a different story. 

If you asked me "Would you rather have Tannehill leading the Patriots into the playoffs?" I would likely say no. With the cast around the QB in NE, I would rather take my chances on the GOAT putting together an incredible run. 

FWIW, I see lots of things in Brady's game that indicate his insanely long career is coming to an end. I'd still bank on him over Tannehill given equal conditions for a playoff run. Their conditions aren't close to equal, though. (Was typing while you posted your caveat, but I think I've covered that, anyway.)
I was going to say something similar.  Tannehill would be my choice because of the way the teams are constructed but if I could put Brady on the Titans I would choose Brady.  I just don't think the Patriots offense has enough to get it done this  year.   It's hard to count them out but i don't think they are a Super Bowl contending team right now. 

Tannehill is a nice story but how can you not take Brady? It's fun to pick against the GOAT but until he has been knocked off his pedastal you can't take a guy who was a backup to start the year over him. It's not like your other option was Mahomes or Jackson.

Tom Brady has more playoff wins than 27 NFL franchises. Tannehill has never started a playoff game.
While this is true and you cannot underestimate the playoff experience factor - the fact remains that the Tom Brady who will be taking the field this weekend looks a lot more mortal than the guy who racked up all of those playoff wins.

Mike Herndon @MikeMiracles 

Since Ryan Tannehill took over in Week 7, the #Titans  offense is averaging over 6.8 yards per offensive snap, more than a half yard per snap better than the next best offense. The gap between #1 and #2 is bigger than the gap between #2 and #8.

https://twitter.com/mikemiracles/status/1210553074546290688?s=21

Brady not only enters this single-elimination tournament with the second-lowest passer rating among playoff quarterbacks -- 88.0, ahead of only Josh Allen's 85.3 -- but his play over the last half of the season puts him at the bottom of the entire quarterbacking barrel. Since Week 9, TB12's completion percentage (56.9), yards per attempt (5.9) and passer rating (80.8) all rank 28th or worse (among quarterbacks who attempted at least 100 passes in this period). During that span, Brady had a lower completion percentage than Allen, a lesser yards-per-attempt figure than Duck Hodges and a worse passer rating than Mitchell Trubisky.

If that's not enough to make you queasy, just take a look at his numbers from the 2019 season after he torched the Patriots' first three opponents (the Steelers, Dolphins and Jets) with spectacular play from the pocket (SEE: 67.9 percent completions, 303.7 pass yards per game, 8.6 yards per pass attempt, 7:0 TD-to-INT and a 116.5 passer rating). Since Week 4, Brady's completion percentage (59.4), yards per attempt (6.2) and passer rating (82.0) all rank among the bottom six in the league, and his passing yards per game (242.0) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (17:8) certainly don't stand out as elite production.

Brady used to carve up defenses attempting to rattle him with blitzes, but now he wilts under the pressure. After posting a 52.1 percent completion rate under pressure from 2016 to '18, per Next Gen Stats, he's only completed 37.4 percent of those passes in 2019 -- the third-lowest mark in the league this season. Brady has also struggled to throw the ball to the outside. He has the lowest passer rating (67.4) among 32 qualified quarterbacks on throws to wide targets, along with a 53 percent completion rate and a 5:6 TD-to-INT ratio on these tosses. Compare those numbers to Brady's production in the past three seasons:

2018: 63.4 comp%, 11:2 TD-to-INT, 101.4 passer rating.
2017: 61.1 comp%, 10:5 TD-to-INT, 96.2 passer rating.
2016: 60.8 comp%, 9:1 TD-to-INT, 101.6 passer rating.

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film, I observe more accuracy and ball-placement issues from the veteran QB than I've ever seen before. Brady repeatedly misses open receivers down the seams or along the boundary on vertical throws, and his inconsistencies have prompted defensive coordinators to come after the 14-time Pro Bowler with reckless abandon.

"He's not the same player," a former NFL defensive coordinator who routinely faced Brady told me. "He's not as accurate and he's missing more throws than ever. Plus, he's more affected by pressure because he doesn't want to get it. The pieces around him aren't as good, either, but he definitely is not the player that made you pause before dialing up a pressure."

I’m not saying Tannehill is the answer, but that stat is pretty meaningless in regards to the question being asked. 
So years of playoff experience mean nothing?  It's the entire reason I think NE will win at least one game more than Tenn. Which answers the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill's numbers have been amazing, but one thing I noticed is that he's played a lot of lousy pass defenses. Since taking over the starting job, here are his opponents and their pass D ranks - first by Football Outsiders DVOA, then by yards allowed

LAC (20, 5)
TB (12, 30)
Car (11, 13)
KC (6, 😎
Jax (22, 16)
Indy (19, 23)
Oak (30, 25)
Hou (26, 29)
NO (13, 20)

New England has an excellent Pass D - #1 by Football Outsiders, #2 in yards allowed. I'm not a believer yet, but Tannehill can make me one based on this Saturday Night vs a legit pass D

The fall of the Patriots has been predicted many times. They do not seem to be at the same level is old. Is that the decline of Brady? Are the weapons around him that bad now? I wouldn't be shocked to see the Patriots lose this weekend but if I am still picking Tannehill or Brady for 1 game and the rest of the team is the same I am going Brady 100% of the time.

Pipes said:
Stat metric fodder. 

Brady.....everyday, every week. Same roster? Brady. 

He has done more with nothing than probably any other QB in the history of the game. He is over 40.....so the calls for his decline are ringing louder than ever.

And it will be proven again this weekend. As bad as the Patriots offense has looked.......it is post season time. The Titans are green. And Tannehill is ordinary. We saw this exact kind of play for a couple of seasons here in Miami. He has looked like this before in Miami too. He had a two season run where we were very encouraged, then he blew his knee out and was never the same. 

His story is nice this season. But the post season will expose what we have also seen. He is not a deep playoff caliber type of QB. I find the case to take a Tannehill over a Brady (all things being equal) incredibly absurd. 

Cjw_55106 said:
I’m not saying Tannehill is the answer, but that stat is pretty meaningless in regards to the question being asked. 
It’s not meaningless - playoff experience is important.

Faust said:
A year ago asking this question would be laughable and the poll would be lopsided.

Today? A different story based on how both quarterbacks are finishing the season. That in itself is pretty interesting to me.

I expect Brady to win this poll and adding the caveat tips it a bit in his direction because if you look at the supporting casts - you can make the case that Tannehill has the stronger offensive supporting cast to work with.

Brady has the experience factor that can’t be overlooked; however, one quarterback has been red hot in the second half and the other quarterback has looked pedestrian, and it is not the scenario that I would have expected to see at the start of the season.
Although the Tannehill comp would have been laughable, there was talk last year of Brady being the worst QB of the remaining play-off teams (possibly after wild-card week-end).

I'd take a healthy Brady at the helm of the Titans because I also think it has a better supporting cast.  I don't think Brady's experience is enough to overcome this situation, especially at less than 100% and with Edelman banged up too.   I expect Tannehill to have the better game and think the Patriots will need their defense to win this one.

Really interested on how well Tannehill plays for fantasy purposes.  He has played very well in that system and, being a veteran player, I don't think the moment will be too big for him.

Users who are viewing this thread