What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you rather get $150K, or get a full NFL game to try to pass for 150 yards for $1M? (1 Viewer)

Would you rather get $100k, or get a full NFL game to try to pass for 150 air yards for $1M?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If there was a current Division I college QB posting here or a former one still under 30, they may have a chance. Most of the people here probably didn't even play QB (or football at all) in High School.

I think the hardest part would be the playbook and practicing. I mean, this isnt the sandlot.

Do I think I would get 150 yards? I say 4-1 I dont.
Only 4-1 odds?
I got Moss, TO, and DK as my wide outs. Im throwing jump balls all game out of the shotgun.

You would spend 1 to 2 seconds corralling the snap and trying to find the laces, another second or two trying to find your WRs over linemen who are 6'5" and another few seconds trying to locate your manhood after you get drilled into the turf. One hit would render you out for the game.

$1MM baby. I got this.

Double Jet Sweep 6 inch forward pass with 0.2 second release time on every play. YAC gets me to 200 yards by end of game.
Like everyone else with a lick of common sense, I immediately took the free $150K. But I do wonder if I could somehow come up with 150 BS "passing" yards if we intentionally designed the game plan around generating that one specific stat.

For example, every single play we call on offense is going to be a "pass" that I can complete by accident behind the LOS, and all blockers are devoted to generating YAC. It would basically be like a really weird running game except that instead of handoffs I'm just tossing a little pass to the RB on every play.

When we're on defense, nobody takes the field. We give up an intentional TD on every defensive possession so as to maximize the number of offensive plays we get to run.

Could we run 150 offensive plays at 1 yard a pop? That seems doable if you don't care about anything else. Maybe the $1M is more achievable than it seems.

Only 4-1 odds?
I got Moss, TO, and DK as my wide outs. Im throwing jump balls all game out of the shotgun.

You would spend 1 to 2 seconds corralling the snap and trying to find the laces, another second or two trying to find your WRs over linemen who are 6'5" and another few seconds trying to locate your manhood after you get drilled into the turf. One hit would render you out for the game.
True. What is your point?

$1MM baby. I got this.

Double Jet Sweep 6 inch forward pass with 0.2 second release time on every play. YAC gets me to 200 yards by end of game.
Like everyone else with a lick of common sense, I immediately took the free $150K. But I do wonder if I could somehow come up with 150 BS "passing" yards if we intentionally designed the game plan around generating that one specific stat.

For example, every single play we call on offense is going to be a "pass" that I can complete by accident behind the LOS, and all blockers are devoted to generating YAC. It would basically be like a really weird running game except that instead of handoffs I'm just tossing a little pass to the RB on every play.

When we're on defense, nobody takes the field. We give up an intentional TD on every defensive possession so as to maximize the number of offensive plays we get to run.

Could we run 150 offensive plays at 1 yard a pop? That seems doable if you don't care about anything else. Maybe the $1M is more achievable than it seems.
Classic Super Tecmo bowl

Footwork would prolly be harder than corralling the snap. My release would prolly be 2 full seconds, lol.

There should be some way to simulate this environment with VR. Exactly how GM described it.

Any one of us could play the lottery and win $150k.

None of us would ever have a chance to play in a real NFL game.

I feel the value of the experience is worth more than $150k. Though I am a FBG with beautiful wives and cars and houses and cigars and jobs.

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

Any one of us could play the lottery and win $150k.

None of us would ever have a chance to play in a real NFL game.

I feel the value of the experience is worth more than $150k. Though I am a FBG with beautiful wives and cars and houses and cigars and jobs.

You won't be enjoying those beautiful wives or driving those nice cars when you're feeding yourself through a tube and having your diapers changed for you after Khalil Mack says "hi".

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.
Your point is that I have a close to zero chance of winning the $1m?

How about this: How much money would you pay to be able to play in a NFL game where you were the Coach and QB where winning didnt matter and the players did whatever you asked?

Of the 12 who replied unrealistically, I’d be impressed if there was a successful snap under center, much less in shotgun.

I’d say out of 10 snaps, 9 would be fumbled.

If there was a current Division I college QB posting here or a former one still under 30, they may have a chance. Most of the people here probably didn't even play QB (or football at all) in High School.
Yeah, I mean we can talk about arm strength but honestly that's probably the one trait some of us would be most likely to satisfy. But stuff like taking a snap from center or dropping back with anything better than terrible footwork. Ok shotgun every snap fine. But we're not throwing on every down, right? If the O and the D are going to play it straight then you have to hand it off or pitch it once in a while. Snap count? Seeing through the gaps between or over (if even possible) giant linemen? The verbal fluency to command the Offense in or out of the huddle. Ok no huddle fine. Really? Lol. Sure thing I'm all over that. Riggggghhhhht. I can throw a football I can't do *any* of those other things and we could all name other nuances not listed here.

Yeah, I mean we can talk about arm strength but honestly that's probably the one trait some of us would be most likely to satisfy. But stuff like taking a snap from center or dropping back with anything better than terrible footwork. Ok shotgun every snap fine. But we're not throwing on every down, right? If the O and the D are going to play it straight then you have to hand it off or pitch it once in a while. Snap count? Seeing through the gaps between or over (if even possible) giant linemen? The verbal fluency to command the Offense in or out of the huddle. Ok no huddle fine. Really? Lol. Sure thing I'm all over that. Riggggghhhhht. I can throw a football I can't do *any* of those other things and we could all name other nuances not listed here.
Another aspect overlooked is passing every down. How many passes would my arm need to do? I bet I couldnt throw the football 50 times if I went outside right now.

If we went for it every 4th down and allowed the other team to score every play that would increase our play count.

For sake of argument ... lets pretend and do some math
  • I turn the ball over 50% of my shotgun snaps (missed snap, me dropping ball, interception, etc).
  • I get sacked (read: take a knee) 75% of the time I don't turn the ball over.
  • When I actually throw the ball I have a 15% completion percentage to Moss/TO/Metcalf
  • My hail mary passes average 10 yards in distance
Back of the napkin math is:
  • .5 * .75 * .15 = 5.6% per single play trying to complete a 10 yard pass
    • EDIT NOTE: Should the '.15' be a '.85' instead as we are measuring negative outcomes?
    • EDIT 2: Should it be .5 (chance of not fumbling) * .25 (chance of not getting sacked) * .15 (chance of completing a pass) ?
  • That's 0.56 yards per play
I would need about 268 plays to achieve 150 passing yards.

There was 125 plays in the last super bowl. I bet if we Super Tecmo Bowl'd we could get 268 total offensive plays.

What's got a better chance of success? Me not getting knocked out of the game taking knees in the 268 plays or my arm actually throwing the ball 100 times at 10 yards a pop to gain 150 yards at a 15% completion percentage?

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I started in the rush for 10 yards thread where it wasn’t a real NFL game scenario and assumed that was the case here. Absolutely no chance to throw for even a dozen yards as the coach would rightfully call 100% run plays.

.I'm telling you they'd have to believe that you're a real QB with a certain degree of quality reputation. Otherwise you're dead.

You cannot throw a football 60 MPH. Nobody here can. That's what it takes, though. That's an average NFL QB throw. The defense will know immediately that you can't do that after your first throw.

And no, I'm not believing that anybody who has ever posted here was ever able to touch 60 MPH with an NFL sized football.
Not sure 60 mph is required. The requirement isn't to win the game. The only thing you have to do is to give a guy like Hill a chance to get get the ball in their hands.

Ahhhh, so at age 45, you're going to take a snap and just under-hand toss it to Tyreke Hill who will do the rest! Brilliant. It's an offensive gameplan Mouse Davis would be proud of. Opposing defenses will never figure this out!

Did none of you watch the Kendal Hinton game for Denver? That's a pro athlete in his prime who played QB for one game and was 1 of 9 for 13 yards. You don't think Denver tried everything to get the offense working? But hang on! Here comes 53 year old BassNBrew from Section 309, Row Z. He's got something cooking.
I think Hinton was trying to win an NFL game. That’s not the premise of this hypothetical. What’s going on here doesn’t even remotely approach NFL reality. Pick 6 for a TD would actually be better than an incompletion on 4th down as you would get the ball back immediately. The only reason it’s feasible is that you have other highly skilled pros to do most of the heavy lifting for you

And how are you - YOU IN YOUR CURRENT PHYSICAL SHAPE AND AGE - getting the ball to these highly skilled pros? Walk me through how you complete more than one NFL pass to a highly skilled pro.
We’ll apparently my approach isn’t allowed.

But to answer your question I’m in the shotgun and shovel passing it to a wr who’s within 3 yards of me. Occasionally I’m shooting it like a basketball to my tallest target or chucking it into coverage and hoping my wr comes up with it.

Again, I didn’t realize this was a real game scenario where we wouldn’t be passing every play and game planning to accomplish this. Zero chance anyone not in the league walks onto the field attempting to win the game and gets even 25 yards.

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

How about this: How much money would you pay to be able to play in a NFL game where you were the Coach and QB where winning didnt matter and the players did whatever you asked?

Not non-zero. Zero. And you'd be in the hospital after a few hits.

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

What's the o/u on total plays someone like us could do before needing to go to the hospital?

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

What's the o/u on total plays someone like us could do before needing to go to the hospital?

Here's a twist on it, do you all think you could do it if there was no OL or DL? Unlimited time in the pocket.

Here's a twist on it, do you all think you could do it if there was no OL or DL? Unlimited time in the pocket.
Nope.

I've never even held an American football, let alone tried to throw one.
haha well that seems rare for most people. I think we've all thrown one around a bit, and I'm sure a good chunk of us have played sports and at least can throw a ball decently.

I do wonder with unlimited time though, you'd have to think that EVENTUALLY some receivers would get open for an easy 10 yard pass.

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

Id take the over.

I just have to survive 3 plays? I could take 3 knees out of the shotgun or just fumble the ball.

Nope.

haha well that seems rare for most people. I think we've all thrown one around a bit, and I'm sure a good chunk of us have played sports and at least can throw a ball decently.

I do wonder with unlimited time though, you'd have to think that EVENTUALLY some receivers would get open for an easy 10 yard pass.
I don't know....don't they say something like wide open in the NFL is the WR having a step and half on a guy? I don't think any of us would be able decipher that visually, nevermind get the ball there.

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

Id take the over.

I just have to survive 3 plays? I could take 3 knees out of the shotgun or just fumble the ball.
Everyone always tries to cheat these and it’s dumb.

I think the hardest part would be the playbook and practicing. I mean, this isnt the sandlot.
LOL you think you are going to be running plays? Like you said, your best best is just quick jump balls and hope your WRs can make plays for you. The biggest problem is if you don't show that you can threaten at real NFL depths and widths, the D will be 11 in the box and you are going to have no ability to read what they are doing play to play. I think we also underestimate how chaotic it is. The videos I posted here earlier of Tua's helmet cam are crazy. It's so hard to even see where any of the WRs are, there are people in every lane and window. I don't think we would even be able to process where to go with the ball yet alone get it there fast enough.

Nope.

I don't know....don't they say something like wide open in the NFL is the WR having a step and half on a guy? I don't think any of us would be able decipher that visually, nevermind get the ball there.
Would be very tough but at least then we have a clear sight and lane to throw. At that point, it's really just about the skill of our WRs vs the coverage. You are just hoping your WRs can win jump balls, box out defenders, etc.

This thread is more ridiculous than the rushing for 10 yards thread. And that is really saying something!
Yeah that one could be doable by luck or otherwise (although no one here would survive 10 carries) - but this one is impossible and ridiculous unless some one here is or was an NCAA QB and is under 30 - and even then the odds are against him.

This thread is more ridiculous than the rushing for 10 yards thread. And that is really saying something!
Yeah that one could be doable by luck or otherwise (although no one here would survive 10 carries) - but this one is impossible and ridiculous unless some one here is or was an NCAA QB and is under 30 - and even then the odds are against him.
The odds for that guy are less than 10 percent. Less than 5 percent.

Justin Fields didn’t average 150 last year (as HSG noted earlier).

You’d have a better chance of winning a game against Andy Murray in tennis (which is no chance) than doing this.

Only 4-1 odds?

I made my point.

Id take the over.

Everyone always tries to cheat these and it’s dumb.
trying to win not cheating

Users who are viewing this thread