What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 plays to gain 10 rushing yards for $10M? (1 Viewer)

Do you want to try to pick up 10 rushing yards in 10 plays for $10M?

• There's no way I could move the ball 10 yards in 10 rushing plays, just give me the $1M

• Give me the ball, I'm taking my chances for the $10M

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy
This topic came up at my draft a few weeks ago and I was reminded of it by this 150 yards passing thread. So here's the situation - you can have $1M right now. OR you can accept the following challenge and if you succeed you get $10M:

You have 10 snaps to gain a total of 10 rushing yards. You can choose any current NFL offensive line on your side, and you can choose any current NFL defensive line to go up against. If, in 10 plays or fewer, you've advanced the ball 10 yards from where it started at the beginning of the challenge you win $10M; if you fail to do so you get nothing. You have to advance the ball by rushing (no passes or other trickery and this is outside of a normal game situation, i.e. the defense knows this is what you're trying to do so there's no value to play fakes or whatever anyway). Just take ten straight handoffs and try to move the ball ten yards downfield. All normal NFL rules apply.

Our league was fairly split on this one. What would you do?

I choose an entire defensive line that is currently so injured they couldn’t possibly play and smash 10 yards out in 4.53 seconds (I’m pretty fast) and I’m sipping an old fashioned on my yacht by tonight.

I’ll take the easy million. If the defense knows you’re running, you’ll have atleast a few plays of negative 2-3 yards. You’ll need to average 3-4 yards per play on the remaining rushes.

I choose an entire defensive line that is currently so injured they couldn’t possibly play and smash 10 yards out in 4.53 seconds (I’m pretty fast) and I’m sipping an old fashioned on my yacht by tonight.
I think you have to choose one team of the 32 NFL teams, and face their defensive line, not hand-pick specific defensive linemen.

I think you have to choose one team of the 32 NFL teams, and face their defensive line, not hand-pick specific defensive linemen.

Correct, the spirit of the challenge is you pick a starting D line to go up against, and assume they're all healthy.

Hmm, so all 11 defensive players know it’s a run and basically the qb and you won’t block? I guess maybe you could run plays where the qb blocks, but if the defense knows the situation, it’s tough

then I’m definitely not trying that

Comical folks think would be able to get 10 rushing yards. Even if people on here were running behind the 80s Hogs line or the 90s Cowboys line it just ain't happening.
90% of the backs in the NFL couldn’t do it. Your only hope would be Eagles butt push but that play might be tough when all 11 are in the box on the other side

Tough one, but I think I take the 1M. I don't like that the defense knows whats up and can stack the box on me. Even with a superior OL, I think I'd lose yards on a few plays.

But all it really takes is ONE crazy good block and a hole to open up and you could maybe run 5 steps and be halfway there.

These are fun, I wish they'd do these in real life.

Tough one, but I think I take the 1M. I don't like that the defense knows whats up and can stack the box on me. Even with a superior OL, I think I'd lose yards on a few plays.

But all it really takes is ONE crazy good block and a hole to open up and you could maybe run 5 steps and be halfway there.

These are fun, I wish they'd do these in real life.
I don’t think so because the safeties are right behind the dline and the corners are blitzing the edges. Most NFL backs aren’t going to succeed

The other thing to keep in mind is that great NFL OLs can open up holes that NFL-caliber RBs can run through. There is no chance you could hit the hole with anything approaching their speed. By the time you got to the hole it's likely closed
Great nfl lines don’t open holes vs 11 in the box with passing not allowed.

The only chance you would have is getting the 10 rushes spread across a game, preferably on 3rd.and long, and being a look alike for the starting rb…meaning the defense doesn’t know it’s you and doesn’t know it has to been a running play.

Comical folks think would be able to get 10 rushing yards. Even if people on here were running behind the 80s Hogs line or the 90s Cowboys line it just ain't happening.
90% of the backs in the NFL couldn’t do it. Your only hope would be Eagles butt push but that play might be tough when all 11 are in the box on the other side
And when you aren’t 6’1” 225 and built like Jalen Hurts.

Hmm, so all 11 defensive players know it’s a run and basically the qb and you won’t block? I guess maybe you could run plays where the qb blocks, but if the defense knows the situation, it’s tough

Exactly. You're asking me to run a goalline stand 10 times and hope I can get 1 yard? **** no. They know I'm not running a stretch or a power so they'll just slam the A and B gap. I'll take the free $1,000,000 and not be paralyzed for the rest of my life, lol.

Now let me suit up as a Quarterback and give me 10 downs to pass for 50 yards? Count me in.

If I get 10 carries all on 4th and long in a game against a team that badly needs a win, then I take the bet and use 5 million to pay medical expenses and the other 5 to pay for help since I'll never be able to walk again

Kinda relevant. Buddy at work was a starting DIII running back, and claimed he could still do a 40 yard dash in under 5 seconds, even though he was pushing 40. The bet was made for a chicken dinner. It would have been close if he hadn't torn his hamstring about 30 yards in. He limped for several months. It was great.

The chicken was pretty good too.

Nope. I’m reasonably in shape but have zero short speed. I’d be like rich eisen trying to run the 40, but slower. Even if I stood behind the eagles OL and had their backs just pushing me forward, I’d just be crushed and still not make it.

OTOH, can I just jump on Derrick Henry’s back while he runs behind the eagles OL?

Alright hear me out. I'm over 6 feet tall. My outstretched arms are a yard long. Forward progress is a thing. Is it theoretically possible I could fall forward ten times in a row behind the Eagles O line, avoiding contact and picking up 1 yard at a time?

Alright hear me out. I'm over 6 feet tall. My outstretched arms are a yard long. Forward progress is a thing. Is it theoretically possible I could fall forward ten times in a row behind the Eagles O line, avoiding contact and picking up 1 yard at a time?
Yeah, if it's 3rd or 4th and long.

I think this would be easier than the passing bet....but that's like saying taking a kick to the head is easier than a kick to the nuts. I'm taking the million..... if there was more of a discrepancy in the payout (say 100,000 v. 10M)....MAYBE you could talk me into the running situation,

If you changed this to just 10 carries throughout the game to get 10 yards and the defense has to play normal defense I bet there are a few people in their 20's or early 30's that would have 20 to 30 percent shot.

On any given play in this situation you would be x times more likely to get the ball swatted out of your hands before getting a yard past the LOS, where x is some arbitrary large positive number.

What if you get crushed on the 1st play? Are you really gonna try 9 more times?

Better put me in linebacker pads, QB flak jacket with knee braces.

So I can take the Eagles offense and run the wedge play 10 times? IN.
This is the right approach and I think it likely works but at the risk of $1M I just take the bird in the hand and enjoy.

All those guys thinking they could take a hand off and have any shot are just dreaming. The only way is getting a push initially from the O-line and getting over 1 yd a rush by the rugby scrum. This is the best chance you will have.

This one is more plausible than the passing for 150 yards. But it is the same in the sense that it could only happen under the condition that the defense doesn't know you're a scrub (at first). And they can't know there is a gimmick going on to get 10 yards. The O and the D have to play it straight. Which means you might be expected to pass block. Only way any of us get 10 yards (in our prime) is if the defense is playing honest. And then it's a big stretch. Only chance is the O Line opens a gaping hole a couple times at least. And that you know how to dive to the ground. You're never going to get outside (so running out of bounds ain't happening) and you're not going to make people miss (I barely played college basketball and might have made a guy miss once upon a time) but you might be able to run straight through a big hole for a chunker. But then get to the dang ground.

Reactions: Zow

Users who are viewing this thread