What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could you make an open field tackle to stop an NFL starting RB from gaining 10 yards on a rush for $1mm? (1 Viewer)

jumper

Footballguy
Inspired by the 10 rushing yards for $10mm thread. If $1mm was on the line, could you make a stop on an NFL starting running back with an open field clean tackle for $1mm? No grabbing the face mask or other acts which would be a personal foul in the game.

Personally I'd probably wind up like this guy if I even tried.

Inspired by the 10 rushing yards for $10mm thread. If $1mm was on the line, could you make a stop on an NFL starting running back with an open field clean tackle for $1mm? No grabbing the face mask or other acts which would be a personal foul in the game.

Not sure why the $ matters. I couldn't do it for a dollar or a billion dollars and neither could anyone else on this forum.

Not sure why the $ matters. I couldn't do it for a dollar or a billion dollars and neither could anyone else on this forum.

I personally don't think I'd even lay a finger on him much less tackle him. I'd probably get juked 5 yards away from making contact.

I mean, one on one, **** no. I wouldn't get a hand on him. But if I was playing linebacker on a run play and ran through the a gap hard enough / was waiting to keep old boy in the gap... I'm diving at his legs and hoping for the best.

If I get hurdled, fine. But no way am I letting any NFL player run through my upper body.

I am more than capable of tripping someone and making them fall off balance. Open field tackle? There are pro LB and DB who can't even accomplish that, but put me in a situation where he runs through my gap and I'd like to think I can make that tackle 1 out of 30 times. Mind you, I probably get seriously injured in 15 out of 30 attempts. But it's doable in live play but impossible in the open field.

The money doesn't matter. It's not like the money will make you faster or stronger.

The NFL player would have to fumble the ball or get hurt or something. You could allow horse collar tackles an facemasks and it wouldn't matter. Same with college starters.

Better question: Could you stop a high school running back? Some regular people in excellent shape might be able to stop a freshman on a bad team. I think that's worthy of a discussion.

The other ones are asking if you would take a risk for 1M. I'm sure everyone in the world would try this, how much are you getting if you don't attempt it?

And how does having 1M vs 1B on the line make this any more possible?

This is a confusing thread.

Does it count as an open field tackle if Aaron Donald picks me up and uses me as a battering ram to knock over the running back?

-QG

People need to understand there is a big difference between watching game speed on TV and standing there watching in real life. The speed would be to much for 99% of us to even comprehend.

Due to the extremely low chance of making the tackle and the extremely high chance of my being seriously injured I will stick to fantasy football.

I thought of another potential outcome. The RB could have seen me struggle to get in a uniform and saw how old and out of shape I'm in. When he actually came around the edge and saw only me standing between him and pay dirt, he could be laughing so hard that he might not even be running by the time he got to me. I might be able to get a hand on him. That certainly would not be enough to get him to the ground. But there could be a chance that I touched him with his knee on the ground from laughing so hard. It could happen. So that's two examples that would have a positive outcome (out of the 10 million simulations that I ran).

How wide is the playing field? Narrow it to two yards and some of us would have ....a chance. A small chance, but a chance. Set us 5 yards apart to start with a standard width field? No prayer at all. zilch

How wide is the playing field? Narrow it to two yards and some of us would have ....a chance. A small chance, but a chance. Set us 5 yards apart to start with a standard width field? No prayer at all. zilch
I mean, I'm not sure many NFL players could stop a guy 1 on 1 in an open field tackle with the entire field in play.

Open field? No chance. If the setup was like the video you linked (direct contact, mano e mano), than I'd dang sure giver er a try, and hope to survive the initial contact and get him wrapped below the waist and dragged down as he ran over me..

Of course, I'm the kind of mouth-breather that would go a round (probably last <10 seconds) with Tyson in his prime for a milly. After all, it would take me 20 years of hard labor to make that much.

When I was younger some friends and family would play tackle football at the park every week. Other people would join our games. We would usually get up to 9 on 9. Sometimes 11 on 11 even having a person or two having to wait on the sidelines.

At one of these games a former college player joined our game. No one could tackle him. He had like 5 or so interceptions returned for TD.

So no. I really dont think so.

In high school I got run over by a fullback in practice that went on to play for Stanford. Dude was like 5’7” 220. I was a 150 pound back up CB. Sucks hitting our own guys at the knees was frowned upon. This was an open field attempt where I broke down and tried to wrap him up the way you’re taught. Didn’t work out for me there.

COULD I?

No

Would I try?

Absolutely

Would I look like a fool?

No question.

But I've looked like a fool many times without having to try this.

didnt watch that video the first time. Boo on INgram...he wasn't making a football play, he was just beating on a much smaller man with no pads or helmet, hitting him in the face with his forearm.

Currently with 2 fake knees and a brand new fake hip at age 68. I'd be doing everything I could to avoid contact. :lmao:

In my prime as a 200 pound guy with average athletic skills? I'd probably never lay a hand on him if he was nice and probably get hurt if he wasn't.

In HS I played with someone who went on to have an NFL career as a DT. I was 2 years younger, he returned punts too which really explains the athleticism of some of these dudes. For punishment if you messed something up, you’d get paired with the dude in Oklahoma drills. Only chance not to get sent flying was to get low, trying to take that dude on or the mistake this guy in the video made at equal height is not smart. If it was an Oklahoma drill, I’d aim to get low and hope for the best, in the open field, no chance 99.99999% of the population makes the tackle.

I would guess there is a non-zero chance the RB could suffer a season-ending, non-contact injury and crumble to the ground and I could cover him. But that would be the only possible way.
Hey, anybody can slip and fall, right?

Users who are viewing this thread