What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Lions at Cowboys (+3, 52.5) 4:25 (2 Viewers)

Prayers for Hutch. We won't know for a while. It is all up in the air. This was probably even life threatening. Playing for this year or probably even next is not in the cards as rehab will be very significant. It is a sad day.
Very sad.

Bears TE Zach Miller had a severe leg injury that included a torn artery and never played again. (The link is about his life after football.)

Like others have said, major hopes that all goes well with Hutchison's recovery. That was hard to watch for sure.

And I mean this in the most sensitive way possible, but it's amazing that more players don't suffer injuries like that. When you look at how many bodies are flying around and falling around others in the trenches on literally every play, it's a miracle.

does feel like MCDC is trying to run the Cowboys nose in it
Yeah. I guess we will see what karma has to say later
Bill Belichek consistently ran it up on teams and karma didn’t give a damn about it.
That said I was embarrassed by the Lions coaching staff antics and disrespect for the Cowboys.
For some reason Campbell still held a grudge from what happened last year. Campbell’s actions remind some of Mike Ditka.

Lions have experienced a lot of bad ju-ju playing at Dallas over the years. Bad officiating and bad luck and good Cowboy teams. I think they went overboard exorsicing those demons.

It was a very tough and shocking thing to see Hutch’s injury and the Lions will have a difficult time overcoming it.

I missed the injury
Bill Belichek consistently ran it up on teams and karma didn’t give a damn about it.
That said I was embarrassed by the Lions coaching staff antics and disrespect for the Cowboys.
For some reason Campbell still held a grudge from what happened last year. Campbell’s actions remind some of Mike Ditka.

Lions have experienced a lot of bad ju-ju playing at Dallas over the years. Bad officiating and bad luck and good Cowboy teams. I think they went overboard exorsicing those demons.

It was a very tough and shocking thing to see Hutch’s injury and the Lions will have a difficult time overcoming it.
This was bad luck. Nothing to do with ju just or demons or prior games.

Hate to see this knowing the pain a buddy of mine went thru in a car wreck causing this injury. Never seen someone in agony to that extent. Haunts me quite a bit. Bro is 100% now but for the doctors.

I missed the injury

This was bad luck. Nothing to do with ju just or demons or prior games.

Hate to see this knowing the pain a buddy of mine went thru in a car wreck causing this injury. Never seen someone in agony to that extent. Haunts me quite a bit. Bro is 100% now but for the doctors.
That's not what I said.

What a terrible win for the Lions. Nobody is above getting hurt, but you hate to see it happen to their All-World native Michigander who seems (one never truly knows these guys) to do and say the exact right thing because he's the genuine article.

Just a shame.

Hutch's camp put out last night through Mike "Stoney" Stone of 97.1 The Ticket "When they make the Super Bowl, Hutch will be ready."

4 things:
  1. I'm dubious on whichever family member thinks it'll be a sure thing to comeback from a compound broken shin bone in 17 weeks. That's a 4-6 month injury, sometimes takes a year.
  2. I don't think this deters them. Will they have to scheme up pressure? You bet. Will that be an achilles in the regular season? I kind of doubt it, they already play the most press man in the league. Where it will show up is in the playoffs when they gotta have it and they're playing a great team.
  3. Gonna be a junkyard dog fight to win the NFC North, all four teams are really good this year. Look at the point differentials
    MIN +63 DET +60 CHI +47 GB +41
    That's the top 4 PD in the NFL; next highest is PIT +38 TB +37 BUF +36 WAS +33 KC +33 SF +32
  4. To point 2, Brad Holmes is no dummy. He knows that with Hutchinson they had the best roster construction in the NFL. Without him....they are still good everywhere, but it's not the same, he is special. To not make a move when you have this much momentum would be malpractice. IDK that they're interested in Reddick, and it will be tough to pry Maxx away from the Raiders. But he will do something to address losing both of their starting Edge defenders for the season.
Detroit will be fine IMO. But I hope there was no nerve damage and Aidan makes a full recovery. Good kid from a great family, amazing support system, good dude who works hard. Was on his way to DPofY. He will pour himself into this rehab and be better than ever if the surgery went well last night. But there's no guarantee he'll ever be the same, no doubt. That was a wicked injury.

Last edited:
I just listened to Stoney talk about the text he received from a ''close family member of Aidan Hutchinson." Didn't say who it was, but used male pronouns, so maybe his dad (ER doctor.)

"As bad as it looked, it was less of an injury than the one he suffered in college. Pretty soon he will be bionic. When we make it to the Super Bowl, he will be ready."

His father Chris was an All American & Big Ten DL of the Year back in the day. If that came from him, I'd now say it is a long shot but still a possibility.

When we get there? It's a good team, but last year means nothing. There are four good teams in the NFC North this year. First time in NFL history a division has four teams with at least 4 wins after Week 6.

Gonna be a hard road for Detroit without their biggest superstar on defense.

I am glad that the family post-surgery text was that he will be back, although this Super Bowl is not even remotely in the cards. There was no guarentee that it would not career-ending. I am sure Hutch will work his butt off to come back as quick as possible. Godspeed.

And I mean this in the most sensitive way possible, but it's amazing that more players don't suffer injuries like that. When you look at how many bodies are flying around and falling around others in the trenches on literally every play, it's a miracle.
It really is. Saw a play last year where Jaylen Waddle's ankle bent in a way an ankle wasn’t designed to. Thought for sure it was broken. He jumped right back up. Gumby like. Amazing athletes with amazing genetics is all I can think of why there aren’t even more injuries.

I'm dubious on whichever family member thinks it'll be a sure thing to comeback from a compound broken shin bone in 17 weeks. That's a 4-6 month injury, sometimes takes a year.
Sometimes it takes more than a year.

Sometimes it's career ending.

Most recent example is Alex Smith IIRC?

Not saying that's the deal here, and certainly hoping for the best possible outcome, but I agree with you that there's reason for skepticism here. It's a really dicey injury, and suggesting a player will be back in ~16 weeks seems Pollyanna-ish at best.

I'm dubious on whichever family member thinks it'll be a sure thing to comeback from a compound broken shin bone in 17 weeks. That's a 4-6 month injury, sometimes takes a year.
Sometimes it takes more than a year.

Sometimes it's career ending.

Most recent example is Alex Smith IIRC?

Not saying that's the deal here, and certainly hoping for the best possible outcome, but I agree with you that there's reason for skepticism here. It's a really dicey injury, and suggesting a player will be back in ~16 weeks seems Pollyanna-ish at best.

The reports sound promising that it is not career-ending. I am hopeful that is true. It will probably be 8 weeks before he can even put any weight on it. Then the slow rehab begins.

Who Quarterbacked the Lions the last time they won their division in back-to-back seasons?
:wink:
Well it was not in the Super Bowl era, so Bobby Lane is the most likily answer.

Detroit won the National Division in 1952, and won the West Division 1953 and 1954. All 3 years it was a 12 team NFL split into two 6 team division. Yes, Bobby Layne was the QB.

Won NFL Chmapionship games in 1952, 1953, and 1957. The first two were HC Buddy Parker with Layne as the signal caller. They made the NFL Championship game in 1954 but lost.

The 1957 team had a new coach, George Wilson, because Buddy Parker quit in training camp. Layne got hurt that year, and Tobin Rote closed out the season and won the title.

In 1958, Parker had moved to Pittsburgh to coach the Steelers, and Layne was traded to them. Supposedly cursed the team on his way out the door, saying they'd never win again.

He was right, whether you believe in curses or not.

The Lions opponents in all four NFL championship games were the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns played in ten straight championship games 1946-55, the first four in a rival league (AAFC), the last 6 in the NFL. They went 4-0 in the former, 3-3 in the latter.

The Browns streak ended in 1956, and in 1957 they lost to Detroit (59-14 or sumtin ridiculous.) They had two other NFL Championship game appearances, winning. the title in 1964, losing to the Packers in 1965. After that it became the AFCCG/NFCCG. Cleveland has lost the CG 5 times in the Super Bowl era.

Detroit has only two NFCCG appearances, getting blown out by the Redskins in 1992 (1991 season), and January blowing the 24-7 halftime lead in San Francisco.

The reports sound promising that it is not career-ending. I am hopeful that is true. It will probably be 8 weeks before he can even put any weight on it. Then the slow rehab begins.
Bones take ~16-20 weeks to mend. That’s 4-6 months for a tibia.

And that’s describing a non-compound fracture.

My wrist took 6+ months with a series of 3 casts, for example.

He’s not putting weight on that in 8 weeks. No way. He may require more than 1 surgery - infections are common. Once the bone breaks the skin, it opens up a whole other can of worms.

Again, it’s nice to see optimism from his camp (family, whomever else is saying stuff) but realistically this is season-ending at best. I don’t want to speculate on “worst” but if you’ve followed the Alex Smith saga, you’ll know it can be much, much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread