What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 plays to gain 10 rushing yards for $10M? (1 Viewer)

Do you want to try to pick up 10 rushing yards in 10 plays for $10M?

• There's no way I could move the ball 10 yards in 10 rushing plays, just give me the $1M

• Give me the ball, I'm taking my chances for the $10M

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I can take the Eagles offense and run the wedge play 10 times? IN.
This is the right approach and I think it likely works but at the risk of $1M I just take the bird in the hand and enjoy.

All those guys thinking they could take a hand off and have any shot are just dreaming. The only way is getting a push initially from the O-line and getting over 1 yd a rush by the rugby scrum. This is the best chance you will have.
Although not depicted in the rules, what happens if the defense jumps offsides? Does that count as a free 5 yards and a free play? Since the QB (me) would be keeping the ball anyway, why not do everything possible to act like I was going to snap the ball, change up the cadence each time, and tell the rest of the offense when I was going to snap the ball in the huddle. Certainly, dragging out the count multiple snaps in a row and then hiking the ball immediately the next play would catch the defense flat footed. I don't really think getting 10 yards would be that hard on 10 plays (again, run the Eagles wedge play each time). If it were 4 downs instead of 10, then maybe I would think about it. But 10 yards in 10 plays shouldn't be that difficult if I could be the QB instead of the RB receiving the handoff. That would be a lot more difficult.

You’d be in traction or worse and not even have the guaranteed one million for your medical bills and inevitable therapy. This shouldn’t be close.

The $1mil offer is too big.

Would be more interesting if it was something like $50,000 - $100,000

I think it is theoretically possible though. If the defense was honest and awful and the O-line and accompanying offensive players elite I could see a world where it could be done. Some of the chasms you see one sided games. I wouldn't turn down a million dollars to find out though, but I'd definitely think about rolling the dice if the reward was only 10's of thousands.

On a practical sense, 1 Million is life changing enough. I just struggle with the idea of taking a risk when the safe option is so good.

I guess people want to discuss the "do you think you could do it?" No. Not at all. I'd probably lose 5 yards on the 1st carry. Then I've got 9 carries to gain 15 and break my leg. I'm just not at all interested in risking a million dollars.

Reactions: Zow
I don't think people realize how slow and weak they are as compared to NFL players.
Don't have to be fast in a rugby scrum. I would just be treated like a football with a lineup pushing me while I ride on the lineman in front of me. You only need to average 1 yd per carry in a rugby scrum to get the 10 yards. Now trying to take a handoff and hit the hole to gain yards. Yeah, that's not happening.

All that being said, I still take the $1M and enjoy life without the risk.

Don't have to be fast in a rugby scrum.
You have to be fast enough just to get to the line and strong enough to get push. I know the Eagles have been successful in the "tush push" formation but somehow I think it would be a lot less successful with Gally under center than it is with Hurts under center. And that's not even mentioning that you'd never even make it to 10 carries since you'd get broken in half.

Don't have to be fast in a rugby scrum.
You have to be fast enough just to get to the line and strong enough to get push. I know the Eagles have been successful in the "tush push" formation but somehow I think it would be a lot less successful with Gally under center than it is with Hurts under center. And that's not even mentioning that you'd never even make it to 10 carries since you'd get broken in half.
I don't have to do it as well as Hurts. I just need to average 1 yard per carry. Hurts was probably close to 2 or 3 yards per carry doing that. Getting broken in half and not being able to complete 10 carries is why I said I would take the $1M and move on.

My point was the only chance any of us would have to do this is the rugby scrum approach. I am also of the opinion that more teams will be using this to success this year and that it wasn't a "Hurts is the reason" it works situation. I think it is virtually unstoppable for a yard or two.

I don't think people realize how slow and weak they are as compared to NFL players.
Don't have to be fast in a rugby scrum. I would just be treated like a football with a lineup pushing me while I ride on the lineman in front of me. You only need to average 1 yd per carry in a rugby scrum to get the 10 yards. Now trying to take a handoff and hit the hole to gain yards. Yeah, that's not happening.

All that being said, I still take the $1M and enjoy life without the risk.
I might even go crazy and suggest running the wedge play over and over again (which by all accounts should work), and then on the 10th play (if needed) lining up to run the wedge play, but rolling out instead on the last one. The defense by that point would be so focused on a run blitz, pushing the wedge back, and diving into the pile, no way would they be prepared for a QB roll out. All it would take would be one blocker to seal the edge and then you could walk for the remaining distance and slide and tell them where to deposit the money.

I guess I am different than many of you. I don't have the $1 million now, so if I don't make it, I am no worse than I am now (assuming I don't end up in an ICU). In full pads, I don't see much chance for injury. Take a couple of steps, fall down, get covered, rinse and repeat.

IMO. the biggest challenge is not fumbling the snap. Beyond that, it's take a couple of steps, fall forward, let the line push the guys in front of you, let the guys in back of you push you, and keep two hands on the football. I don't think that requires much athletic ability or speed to accomplish. In the Eagles case, I don't really think Hurts does a heck of a lot. He's fighting for every yard, but in this scenario, even he wouldn't need to do that. He'd have 10 shots at moving the ball forward . . . he wouldn't have to try to extend the play into a 5 yard gain.

The defense by that point would be so focused on a run blitz, pushing the wedge back, and diving into the pile, no way would they be prepared for a QB roll out. All it would take would be one blocker to seal the edge and then you could walk for the remaining distance and slide and tell them where to deposit the money.
What was your combine time in the 40?

The defense by that point would be so focused on a run blitz, pushing the wedge back, and diving into the pile, no way would they be prepared for a QB roll out. All it would take would be one blocker to seal the edge and then you could walk for the remaining distance and slide and tell them where to deposit the money.
12 seconds. What difference does it make? Slower than dirt, old, unathletic QBs have run naked bootlegs for decades. It's not the speed part that matters, it's the deception.

I don't see much chance for injury.
:lmao:
Unless the defense is going to push the boundaries of the whistle, you wouldn't be in position to take a direct hit from the defense. You'd take two steps, turtle, and fall down.
ok - how exactly are you getting those two steps forward? No defenders ever break through the line on any of your 10 carries. You never get stood up by one defender and then have another defender lay you out?

I really wish we could all watch you try.

Slower than dirt, old, unathletic QBs have run naked bootlegs for decades.
Those guys are all much faster than you.
Apparently, you haven't seen the countless videos of these statue QBs rolling out and no one is near them. That work specifically because those QBs don't run or scramble. After 9 attempts, it's not like I would have to go 80 yards like Michael Vick to get the game winning TD. It would likely be the remaining yard or two.

Apparently, you haven't seen the countless videos of these statue QBs rolling out and no one is near them. That work specifically because those QBs don't run or scramble. After 9 attempts, it's not like I would have to go 80 yards like Michael Vick to get the game winning TD. It would likely be the remaining yard or two.
You convinced me. You'd do it easily.

I bet if we started a poll on whether a FBG could get bat on ball from an MLB starter at least 30% of the people here would think they could do it. Which, of course, they most certainly would not.

I bet if we started a poll on whether a FBG could get bat on ball from an MLB starter at least 30% of the people here would think they could do it. Which, of course, they most certainly would not.
I'd also love to see how some of them would last a round with Mike Tyson.

The discussion here seemingly is that somehow the defensive players in this scenario are all All-Pro level and future HOFers. The Eagles front line had three Pro Bowlers and 2 All Pros last year. Just saddle up behind those three guys. Similarly, you can pick the league's worst, smallest, most banged up defensive line . . . which would be far from HOF level.

The discussion here seemingly is that somehow the defensive players in this scenario are all All-Pro level and future HOFers. The Eagles front line had three Pro Bowlers and 2 All Pros last year. Just saddle up behind those three guys. Similarly, you can pick the league's worst, smallest, most banged up defensive line . . . which would be far from HOF level.
You would run through the Rams defense like butter. You played tackle football without pads as a kid.

I don't see much chance for injury.
:lmao:
Unless the defense is going to push the boundaries of the whistle, you wouldn't be in position to take a direct hit from the defense. You'd take two steps, turtle, and fall down.
ok - how exactly are you getting those two steps forward? No defenders ever break through the line on any of your 10 carries. You never get stood up by one defender and then have another defender lay you out?

I really wish we could all watch you try.

Yeah if it’s 10 plays throughout the game and the d is playing honest (/knows the qb has the far superior option of throwing to an nfl athlete instead of handing me the ball) it feels fairly doable behind a mismatched HOF oline/trash d line, and if all 22 guys know it’s me running it it’s completely out of the question. But I’m not risking a free mil to find out either way

I'd also love to see how some of them would last a round with Mike Tyson.

I think this is different....with most of the people giving this a thought are putting pretty much ALL of the work on the Eagles O-Line. I don't think anyone is thinking they're going to get to that outside for a 10 yard scamper....most are going to climb into Jordan Mailata's back pocket and hope for the best.

Sorry - just re-read OP.

10 straight handoffs and the defense knows whats coming? Why bother? Many NFL teams couldn't do that as is.

Patrick Mahomes got hurt on a QB sneak once but guys posting on a fantasy football message board have no chance of getting injured.

Sorry - just re-read OP.

10 straight handoffs and the defense knows whats coming? Why bother? Many NFL teams couldn't do that as is.
Why would this make any difference? The Eagles lined up in their wedge formation all the time on 3rd or 4th and short. The defense knew what was coming. The Eagles didn't even attempt to run something else out of that formation. 80,000 people in the stadium and 10 million people watching on TV knew what was coming. Whether it was 10 consecutive plays or 10 times in that formation over a few games when the Eagles ran that play . . . either way, defenses couldn't stop it. Except this time the Eagles (substituting one of us for Hurts) would get to pick which bottom feeder defense to go up against.

There is no way I could do this, but to be devils advocate, isn’t there a BIG difference between the best offensive line you can think of and the worst Dline?

They can’t get a 1 yard push with that difference in talent? I have to figure the team around me could get me halfway there.

But yeah, taking the punishment would be tough, how much time do I have between plays 😂

Do you even lift, bro?

So, mathematically, the issue is whether I believe I have a better than 10% chance of success here that doesn't include getting seriously injured.

This is tough. I agree with the analysis from barackd above whereby it'll likely hinge on getting a significant gain (say 3-5 yards) on at least one play where an interior hole opens and having no plays where significant yardage was lost.

In my 20s I'd take the risk. Now, even though I think I'd be highly motivated to get the 10 yards, the million guaranteed and what it would do for my family (immediately pays off my house, allowing me to continue to work and accrue moneys to invest rather than pays debt and I probably can retire 5-10 years earlier), combined with the real chance for injury (which is more prevalent for me now than even ten years ago) makes me far more risk-adverse.

In short, I think I'd take the money even though I think it's a pretty even expected value.

Last edited:
The $1mil offer is too big.

Would be more interesting if it was something like $50,000 - $100,000

I think it is theoretically possible though. If the defense was honest and awful and the O-line and accompanying offensive players elite I could see a world where it could be done. Some of the chasms you see one sided games. I wouldn't turn down a million dollars to find out though, but I'd definitely think about rolling the dice if the reward was only 10's of thousands.
Agree with this analysis as well. Even though the same injury risk is there, <$100,000 guaranteed doesn't have near the impact the million would for me.

So, I voted for the first option but I wish I could change its title to "I think there's a real possibility I could accomplish this, but the guaranteed million is far too life-changing to take on such a risk."

Thought of another wrinkle I should have thought about earlier. Give each guy on offense $250K if they make the 10 yards. I guarantee making it at that point. An easy hedge to make $7.5 million.

Most NFL rbs couldn't do this and some of you had the audacity to say, maybe if I were younger. None of us could do it now or 30 years ago.

What are some of yall smoking? :lmao:

Thought of another wrinkle I should have thought about earlier. Give each guy on offense $250K if they make the 10 yards. I guarantee making it at that point. An easy hedge to make $7.5 million.
My understanding of the hypothetical is that the linemen assume traditional game situation (so there isn't added nor reduced incentive).

So, I voted for the first option but I wish I could change its title to "I think there's a real possibility I could accomplish this, but the guaranteed million is far too life-changing to take on such a risk."
We would look like you were running with concrete boots on out there. Guys would just be teeing off on us like it's HR derby. Forget the risk of losing the money, I don't want the risk of suffering the kind of injury 22 year old pro athletes suffer. That wouldn't go over so smooth with my 41 year old body.

Users who are viewing this thread