What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you rather get $150K, or get a full NFL game to try to pass for 150 yards for $1M? (1 Viewer)

Would you rather get $100k, or get a full NFL game to try to pass for 150 air yards for $1M?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I was reading FreeBaGeL's post, and the first thought that went through my head when I heard the naysayers absolutely say that it couldn't be done was that whenever you're assuming things about a group where you don't know everybody, don't. Just stop and listen. Because we don't know **** about people like we think we do.

I was on the cusp of being a D1 hockey player and speed was not a problem for me. I also ran a 4.6 in college. If you posed a question about NHLers, I played with and against them growing up.

I can tell you if you asked if you put me on Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri's line in their prime and mine and asked if I could get an assist, I just might have said yes. Humility would lead me to say no, but damn if I wouldn't have thought I could have. A lot of good players could easily notch an assist.

Don't assume **** about people you don't know. That's how we get our comeuppances and bar fights that go sickly awry (I've seen those, too). Don't ever.
It would be like asking you if you thought you could D up Gretzky & prevent him from scoring in your prime in 10 tries. No offense, but if I were a betting man I’d bet on Gretzky scoring 10x.
Actually it’s not. It’s me getting a shovel pass off or hurling a jump ball down field in three seconds a then hoping my teammate is successful. Defending Gretzky one on one is a different story.

The biggest problem you would have is once the defense learns how narrow of a part of the field they had to defend due to your inability to accurately throw the ball a reasonable distance or with real zip, they would load the box, jam every WR and dial up a lot of blitzes. Would make a for a very long, painful game. I doubt most of us would make it a full game before being hurt or just choosing to quit.

The biggest problem you would have is once the defense learns how narrow of a part of the field they had to defend due to your inability to accurately throw the ball a reasonable distance or with real zip, they would load the box, jam every WR and dial up a lot of blitzes. Would make a for a very long, painful game. I doubt most of us would make it a full game before being hurt or just choosing to quit.
Just one Ronnie Lott “woo!” hit would do it. I’m 5’10” 198 and that hit @Joe Bryant just posted would end me.

Just one Ronnie Lott “woo!” hit would do it. I’m 5’10” 198 and that hit @Joe Bryant just posted would end me.
Yeah even the guys here on the larger side are likely also on the older side and probably aren’t ready for what it would feel like for a 240 pound superhuman crashing into us at 18 mph. Like put on a football uniform and pads, ride your bike real fast right into a tree without breaking. I would love to know how that goes.

I think it would be akin to trying to take an AB against a major league pitcher. You're at the mercy of the Defenders/Pitcher. Those guys aren't going to let you clown their profession. That pitcher would buzz your tower with 90+ heat and when you got off the dirt; your stance would be closer to the on deck circle than the Batters Box. The same with the Defense. They'll play tight at the line and take away your screens and shovels (and that's even if you could get those off...which I'm assuming most of us couldn't) and try to blow you up in the pocket. After one ot two knock downs; you'll be so gun shy you'd probably quit. You MIGHT get lucky with some errant duck thrown up that a teammate grabs and gets positive yardage......but 150 yards?....those duck would have to be caught 3 or 4 times in a game at least. Take the 150K.....it's the better bet.

Yeah even the guys here on the larger side are likely also on the older side and probably aren’t ready for what it would feel like for a 240 pound superhuman crashing into us at 18 mph. Like put on a football uniform and pads, ride your bike real fast right into a tree without breaking. I would love to know how that goes.
More realistic: the tree is also riding towards you. lol

Just saw this as a meme on one of the socials, but I thought it was an interesting question.

You get your choice:
1. Get $150K for doing nothing
2. Get 4 quarters of NFL action to try to throw for 150 yards? If you fail, you get $0.

Note: for the sake of the question we’ll assume you’re in a top 15 offense going against a top 15 pass defense/pass rush.

I’m taking the $150K. How about you?

ETA: I accidentally typed $100K in the poll title. Roll with it, it’s just a hypothetical.
I would easily just take the $150k.

But I do think there should be a caveat. For the million, it has to be my prime self. Not my 46 year old self. Yes I'm the same age as Tom Brady but we're going to neglect that BS. Main caveat is this, though - the defense can't know I'm a scrub. It has to believe I'm the QB for a top 15 offense. If they know who I am then forget it, I'm getting blitzed hard every down. It has to be a clean gameplan.

It's kind of like the "could you hit a 3 pointer in an NBA game?" Yes, absolutely, if I'm spotted up in the corner or wing and the defense doesn't think I'm a scrub. Could I pass for 150 in my prime if the defense played me honest? ****, maybe. Maybe not. Do I get Tyreek Hill on my team? Can we call bubble screens all day? Or that "jet sweep" option where it's technically considered a pass and the QB takes the shotgun snap and just bumps it forward to the WR as he goes by? I could do that.

But I'm taking the wimp clause. Give me the $150k and Imma find an 8ball and some ladies.

I'm telling you they'd have to believe that you're a real QB with a certain degree of quality reputation. Otherwise you're dead.

You cannot throw a football 60 MPH. Nobody here can. That's what it takes, though. That's an average NFL QB throw. The defense will know immediately that you can't do that after your first throw.

And no, I'm not believing that anybody who has ever posted here was ever able to touch 60 MPH with an NFL sized football.

I'm 5'8 1/2 and 142 lbs. I would get killed if I tried to go for the million.

In terms of my football QB ability I'm not sure even sure I could throw for 150 yards with an NFL offense going against a high school defense.

I actually was formulating in my head: I want the experience of standing in the pocket, trying to complete a pass as an NFL QB a lot. Like, enough to be willing to give up $150K. It's like the billionaires paying to go out into space, or something. A once-in-a-lifetime shot at an elite experience.

That clip quickly changed my mind. That young man being bent in half like a windsock in a hurricane is an elite athlete, and he very well could've been crippled by that hit. My old, fat, arthritic body would be spending months in a neuro ward and doing lifelong PT just to get back to walking again. I will take the $150k and watch from the comfort of my couch.

.I'm telling you they'd have to believe that you're a real QB with a certain degree of quality reputation. Otherwise you're dead.

You cannot throw a football 60 MPH. Nobody here can. That's what it takes, though. That's an average NFL QB throw. The defense will know immediately that you can't do that after your first throw.

And no, I'm not believing that anybody who has ever posted here was ever able to touch 60 MPH with an NFL sized football.
Not sure 60 mph is required. The requirement isn't to win the game. The only thing you have to do is to give a guy like Hill a chance to get get the ball in their hands.

Reminds me of the time, in my mid-20's, when I joined a men's flag football team. Now, just to put this in perspective, I considered myself to be a pretty decent athlete. Not D-1 or anything, but I played D-3 hoops, as well as baseball growing up, and at the time that I joined this league, was pretty active in things like softball, rec hoops, as well as both indoor and sand volleyball. And, in college, a few of the basketball players had put a couple of intramural flag football teams together, and we did OK. Not world beaters, but we held our own against MOST of the other teams.

Back to me in my mid-20's. Long story short, about 15 guys who were mostly in the same boat (some more athletic than others, but we all had some sports background, whether it be rec/HS/college) decided that we would put a team together. A couple of guys had been pretty solid high school football players, and the rest of us had played more than our share of, at the very least, some form of football (even if that was just playing for hours on end with neighbor kids and my brothers growing up).

Well, it was an eye-opening experience, to say the least. Let me just put it this way. We found out pretty quickly that there were three types of teams. 1) Teams like ours. Mostly athletic/formerly athletic guys who just assumed that, because they had played football before, they would be able to compete in organized flag football. 2) Teams that had obviously played together for a while. They weren't necessarily any bigger, faster, or stronger than we were, but you could just tell by the plays that they ran that they had put some time and thought into how to run a flag football offense. That might sound silly, but it's a different animal. Short, crisp plays designed to get the ball out of the QB's hands in 1-2 seconds tops. Nothing deep, for the most part. And, guys just played their part. Quick guys move the ball and make the "tackles," and the bigger guys just knew how to effectively block for that 1-2 seconds to spring someone free. 3) The third group was really just one team. There was a professional arena football team that had joined the league, just for the sake of something to do in their off-season.

There weren't many teams like ours. If I had to guess, I'd say there were one or two other teams that we competed with pretty well. Teams in the #2 category ran circles around us. Where we were scoring maybe a TD or two per game, they were scoring on every drive EXCEPT maybe one or two. Not devastating blowouts, but not close games either. 34-12, 24-6, etc. As for the pro arena team, I've never experienced that type of humiliation in an athletic event in my life. The closest I can think of is playing in an AAU tournament in Vegas when I was 17. We played a team from Dallas that probably had 25-30 dunks against us in one game. That was both frustrating and amazing at the same time. This might have been worse. I think they had six touchdowns before we completed a pass. At one point, somebody on our team commented that we had thrown more pick-six's than completions. I think that was mid-3rd quarter.

I only bring this up because, when I think back to playing against that team, there is zero question in my mind that, while I can throw a football, I would stand no chance of racking up 150 yards against ANY NFL defense. They're just too good. They would literally toy with us and make it a game of who could pick one off and take it to the house. And, by game's end, at least a handful of them would have done so. It would get ugly, for sure.

Just think about when Denver had to have a 5th string WR play QB a couple of years ago during Covid. What did that guy complete? Ten passes? Maybe less? Most of us would be 100 times worse than that, whatever that amounts to.
If that's long story short, I'd hate to read the long story
Fair point. :ROFLMAO:

.I'm telling you they'd have to believe that you're a real QB with a certain degree of quality reputation. Otherwise you're dead.

Not sure 60 mph is required. The requirement isn't to win the game. The only thing you have to do is to give a guy like Hill a chance to get get the ball in their hands.

Ahhhh, so at age 45, you're going to take a snap and just under-hand toss it to Tyreke Hill who will do the rest! Brilliant. It's an offensive gameplan Mouse Davis would be proud of. Opposing defenses will never figure this out!

Did none of you watch the Kendal Hinton game for Denver? That's a pro athlete in his prime who played QB for one game and was 1 of 9 for 13 yards. You don't think Denver tried everything to get the offense working? But hang on! Here comes 53 year old BassNBrew from Section 309, Row Z. He's got something cooking.

Ahhhh, so at age 45, you're going to take a snap and just under-hand toss it to Tyreke Hill who will do the rest! Brilliant. It's an offensive gameplan Mouse Davis would be proud of. Opposing defenses will never figure this out!

Did none of you watch the Kendal Hinton game for Denver? That's a pro athlete in his prime who played QB for one game and was 1 of 9 for 13 yards. You don't think Denver tried everything to get the offense working? But hang on! Here comes 53 year old BassNBrew from Section 309, Row Z. He's got something cooking.
Dude. I said quite clearly I'd take the $150k.

If Heisman winner Marcus Mariota can't get 150 what in the blue hell makes any of us think we could? I'll take Option A every single day and twice on Sundays with zero hesitation. You could give me five Zack Martins as an O-line, Gronk at TE, Tomlinson in the backfield, and three Tyreek Hills outside and there's no way on Earth I'm even completing a single pass.

I tripped over a bed frame I was putting together in March and dislocated / fractured my shoulder. Some days my bum knees tackle me going up the steps wrong. Sign me up for the 150,000. Hell, you could make it 150 MILLION for option 2.... I'm still taking the 150K.

Dude. I said quite clearly I'd take the $150k.

Pretty sure I wasn't directly quoting you.....

I think Hinton was trying to win an NFL game. That’s not the premise of this hypothetical. What’s going on here doesn’t even remotely approach NFL reality. Pick 6 for a TD would actually be better than an incompletion on 4th down as you would get the ball back immediately. The only reason it’s feasible is that you have other highly skilled pros to do most of the heavy lifting for you

What’s going on here doesn’t even remotely approach NFL reality. Pick 6 for a TD would actually be better than an incompletion on 4th down as you would get the ball back immediately. The only reason it’s feasible is that you have other highly skilled pros to do most of the heavy lifting for you
Except that NFL players are human, and would likely not be thrilled about your pick-6s.

There’s a reason you read stories about QBs buying their entire OL Rolex watches.

They’d get awfully sick of your incompetence & would turn into a screen door pretty quickly.

GL getting to 150 looking out your earhole.

Funny, I just watched the HBO documentary BS University (Bishop Sycamore) last night and there is a whole part on a game between IMG and BS. The BS kids suffered a number of injuries ACL tears, shoulder separation etc. Even in the video you could see the physical difference between the two teams and this was at the HS level. Way better off taking the $150K and then taking a portion of that $$ and playing the stock market or putting down a couple of bets.

I think Hinton was trying to win an NFL game. That’s not the premise of this hypothetical. What’s going on here doesn’t even remotely approach NFL reality. Pick 6 for a TD would actually be better than an incompletion on 4th down as you would get the ball back immediately. The only reason it’s feasible is that you have other highly skilled pros to do most of the heavy lifting for you

And how are you - YOU IN YOUR CURRENT PHYSICAL SHAPE AND AGE - getting the ball to these highly skilled pros? Walk me through how you complete more than one NFL pass to a highly skilled pro.

If I was 25 years old if you gave me a whole offseason with the niners roster, weight trainers, and shanahan as coach and we open up playing vikings at home then I think i would have a chance at that 150 yards. Far from a gaurantee, but i think there would be at least a slight chance.

41 years old with a week to prepare and the defense as highly skilled as the offense. No chance.

I was in that camp originally, but HSG said that your team is going to be playing to win the game like normal. Neither your offense not your defense is on board with trying to win the yardage challenge posed here.

The best part about this is guys that laugh about how small Kyler Murray looks out there, are likely even smaller, but think they can somehow do this.

Murray also moves much faster than any of us ever could in our prime. There's not a person typing in here that could outrun an NFL defensive player let alone 4-7 of them coming after you every play.
This depends. How much cocaine is available to me in this hypothetical?

I was in that camp originally, but HSG said that your team is going to be playing to win the game like normal. Neither your offense not your defense is on board with trying to win the yardage challenge posed here.
Correct. It’s not some “battle of the network stars”.

So I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the question. Its not "Do you think you could pass for 150 yards?". The question is, would you like to try to pass for 150 yards?

I would rather try to play an NFL game with some of the worlds best athletes. Do I think I would get 150 yards? I say 4-1 I dont. However, it would be fun to try!

Users who are viewing this thread