What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don Lemon guest states Reparations must go back to origins of Supply Chain (1 Viewer)

tonysmiles

Footballguy
If you look at CNN's site you cannot find this snippet anywhere. This begs to ask why do Liberals want to teach Hollywood History to our children and not true history. My wife who was raised in the midwest always stated Slavery originated in Africa from its Kings selling there people into slavery for Rum, Guns and other bounties. I was also taught the same thing in the late 70's in my private catholic school. Why do we want to teach children a different version of the origins of Slavery. Kudos to this lady for leaving Don Lemon speechless.

Origin of Supply Chain Must Pay Reparations

I don't think Don saw that coming.
Nope. It’s pretty obvious she saw that coming though when she agreed to go on with Don Lemon. He wasn’t expecting pushback, especially with historical facts that don’t fit the talking points. He had planned on setting her up as he has with many others, instead he got set up and walked right into it.

If you look at CNN's site you cannot find this snippet anywhere. This begs to ask why do Liberals want to teach Hollywood History to our children and not true history. My wife who was raised in the midwest always stated Slavery originated in Africa from its Kings selling there people into slavery for Rum, Guns and other bounties. I was also taught the same thing in the late 70's in my private catholic school. Why do we want to teach children a different version of the origins of Slavery. Kudos to this lady for leaving Don Lemon speechless.

My understanding is it was neighboring people who were captured and sold, not generally their own people.

Of course, the demand for slave labor created the supply.

Regardless, these points seem pretty irrelevant when considering the reparations question.

My understanding is it was neighboring people who were captured and sold, not generally their own people.

Of course, the demand for slave labor created the supply.

Regardless, these points seem pretty irrelevant when considering the reparations question.
There has been slave labor for the duration of history. A lot of controversy about FIFA using them for the Qatar World Cup.

A lot of controversy about FIFA using them for the Qatar World Cup
While i have no love for FIFA, it is the Qatari government, not FIFA that is using questionable labor practices to create the infrastructure to host the World Cup.

Many oil-rich countries in the Middle East have been importing and mistreating labor from India, Bangladesh, and Indonesia to build their infrastructure and have been doing so for decades.

I enjoy watching his face once he realizes he is in over his head with this lady...like watching a bully realize the kid he is picking on can box or knows martial arts.

It’s the racial aspect of American slavery which made it almost unique, and especially evil, and our greatest national shame. That’s what seems to be being forgotten here.

It’s the racial aspect of American slavery which made it almost unique, and especially evil, and our greatest national shame. That’s what seems to be being forgotten here.

The women he was talking to was English and the topic was England not America.

Anyhow I’m not in favor of reparations but this woman’s argument is pretty ridiculous. These so-called African kingdoms she referring to were manipulated by white slave traders, who were soon followed by white colonialists who dominated African politics for the next 300 years. She seems awfully ignorant of history.

Following the creation of the cotton gin, slavery exploded in the United States. Our government and our people were by far the biggest culprits and purveyors of slavery in modern times, possibly excluding only Haiti. Wilberforce, who she mentions, was only able to abolish slavery in England because there practically wasn’t any. Totally irrelevant to our history.

Lemon doesn’t seem particularly educated on this subject either but his question is essentially correct: both American slavery in particular and European colonialism in general created awful wealth disparities between white peoples and everyone else on the planet which remains a huge problem even to this day. But reparations in the form of transfer of cash isn’t the answer.

if you were a slave I believe in reparations for you - get a lawyer, sue the people who profited from your labor

other than that .... its a ridiculous idea

A lot of controversy about FIFA using them for the Qatar World Cup
While i have no love for FIFA, it is the Qatari government, not FIFA that is using questionable labor practices to create the infrastructure to host the World Cup.

Many oil-rich countries in the Middle East have been importing and mistreating labor from India, Bangladesh, and Indonesia to build their infrastructure and have been doing so for decades.
You’re correct, it’s Qatar.

When the 1619 Projact was formed, one of my big complaints was not exposing the people in Africa who were selling slaves.
Oh, what kind of righty conspiracy theory is this??

;)
If you don’t agree with it, it’s a big right conspiracy theory? Ok.
notice the winky face?

ETA: also, it's because of the lefty claptrap history books that I am reading that I don't believe what you wrote, so get it right. ;) (which coincidently just brought up the slave trade in Africa pre-American colonies).

Last edited:

The women he was talking to was English and the topic was England not America.
Seems like it was both. But either way she’s pretty uninformed.
Maybe they don’t play the white guilt card in England.
In terms of slavery they don’t need to.

In terms of colonialism…they need to play it big time. And they do. And since Lemon’s question was more about colonialism the woman’s answer, while being historically uninformed, was also a deliberate attempt at misdirection.

you know why there isn't a sizable population of Africans in the middle east? they castrated the male slaves.

the American slave trade was not unique.

you know why there isn't a sizable population of Africans in the middle east? they castrated the male slaves.

It was absolutely unique for several reasons.

Whitney’s cotton gin came on the heels of the Enlightenment, and the ideals of the American Revolution. Jefferson himself, a slave owner, was aware of the contradiction but didn’t know how to solve it. His descendants in the slave states did: by declaring that slavery was a positive moral good.

In other words American slavery was worse than any other historical slavery not only because it was racial but because we knew better. We understood and revered individual rights. That’s why our shame is so great.

Whitney’s cotton gin came on the heels of the Enlightenment, and the ideals of the American Revolution. Jefferson himself, a slave owner, was aware of the contradiction but didn’t know how to solve it. His descendants in the slave states did: by declaring that slavery was a positive moral good.

In other words American slavery was worse than any other historical slavery not only because it was racial but because we knew better. We understood and revered individual rights. That’s why our shame is so great.

Slavery was abolished over 100 year before I was born and 80 years before my grandparent came to America during the Holocaust. People want reparations, go find the descendant's of slave owners and have them pay the descendant's of slaves and sue them in court. I am under no such obligation to pay anyone anything and feel no shame whatsoever for something that happened over a century before I was born.

Slavery was abolished over 100 year before I was born and 80 years before my grandparent came to America during the Holocaust. People want reparations, go find the descendant's of slave owners and have them pay the descendant's of slaves and sue them in court. I am under no such obligation to pay anyone anything and feel no shame whatsoever for something that happened over a century before I was born.
I agree. I don’t believe in reparations either.

That being said I think you and I and every American do have a responsibility: to get the history right. To teach it in schools. And to recognize that many of the problems we face today are tied to that history.

That being said I think you and I and every American do have a responsibility: to get the history right. To teach it in schools. And to recognize that many of the problems we face today are tied to that history.

Most of the problems we face today are tied to the deterioration of the familial units, especially in the black communities. Also, government programs intended to support those communities had unintended consequences that aided in the deterioration of those familial units and caused drop in personal responsibility. Then you throw in crime bills that caused even further deterioration disproportionately to the black communities and perpetuated an even further decline in familial units...and here we are.

It's easy money to use "racism" for profit in the US today. It's no wonder that blacks don't bother with black on black crime, no money in it. But white on black crime where you can use race could be worth millions. That's where you'll find all the big name black "leaders".

Most of the problems we face today are tied to the deterioration of the familial units, especially in the black communities. Also, government programs intended to support those communities had unintended consequences that aided in the deterioration of those familial units and caused drop in personal responsibility. Then you throw in crime bills that caused even further deterioration disproportionately to the black communities and perpetuated an even further decline in familial units...and here we are.

It's easy money to use "racism" for profit in the US today. It's no wonder that blacks don't bother with black on black crime, no money in it. But white on black crime where you can use race could be worth millions. That's where you'll find all the big name black "leaders".
The main cause of the deterioration of the family goes back to slavery and 100 years of Jim Crow following slavery. I’ll pass over your attempt to blame these problems on liberal ideology- it’s an old and rather tired argument. We need to spend far MORE money in the inner cities, not less.

Jefferson couldn't solve it. there was no way to free is slaves personally. the positive moral good was in the marrow of the democrats. slavery was a Democrat institution and one they have never come to terms with. it was married to economics. 500000 Americans has to die to get the democrats to give it up. it's not my shame. both of my lineal families and direct great great great grandfather's fought for the north. on my father's side he was a captain and fought against slavery and ran up against quantrill. my other great great .....was a prvt who got off the boat with his pregnant wife and parents and was in the army cuz it was or his father.

the United States tried to stop the international slave trade starting around 1819 and patrolled the African west coast.

The main cause of the deterioration of the family goes back to slavery and 100 years of Jim Crow following slavery. I’ll pass over your attempt to blame these problems on liberal ideology- it’s an old and rather tired argument. We need to spend far MORE money in the inner cities, not less.
you don't want to blame the government for destroying the black family no problem. it's typical of your government can solve all religion.

Jim crow was democrats too.

We need more accountability on how the $ is spent…do that and most sane people will be onboard…continue trusting our current system and you will continue with the same results.

Question…what are your thoughts on the Moynihan Report?

We need more accountability on how the $ is spent…do that and most sane people will be onboard…continue trusting our current system and you will continue with the same results.

Question…what are your thoughts on the Moynihan Report?
One of the smartest guys ever and I agreed with many of the points made in that report. 60 years later it’s a little out of date, however.

Nothing could be further from the truth Tim. Single family homes weren't a common occurrence, even in black households in the 1950 and were still rare in the 60s. It wasn't until the Great Society programs that single family households exploded. It was a combination of multiple factors including more government benefits, lower marriage/higher divorce rates and higher incarceration rates for black males. It has nothing to do with slavery because the increases aren't seen only in blacks households.

Nothing could be further from the truth Tim. Single family homes weren't a common occurrence, even in black households in the 1950 and were still rare in the 60s. It wasn't until the Great Society programs that single family households exploded. It was a combination of multiple factors including more government benefits, lower marriage/higher divorce rates and higher incarceration rates for black males. It has nothing to do with slavery because the increases aren't seen only in blacks households.

White guilt is immensely powerful

You should read Thomas Sowell's book "White Guilt".

I suck at quoting...but bingo.

I would add two things, first these factors along with some other liberal trends are also driving similar but not as exacerbated datapoints across all races, but has been particularly impactful and imbedded into the black community. Second, I think some of this is a necessary bad to progress forward, so while I label them liberal trends, which they are...I wouldn't say they are just outright bad, they aren't and there are positive impacts from them. But there are some glaring negatives that seem to also be disproportionally impacting one race despite the improvements made on the racism front over the past 50yrs

I suck at quoting...but bingo.

I would add two things, first these factors along with some other liberal trends are also driving similar but not as exacerbated datapoints across all races, but has been particularly impactful and imbedded into the black community. Second, I think some of this is a necessary bad to progress forward, so while I label them liberal trends, which they are...I wouldn't say they are just outright bad, they aren't and there are positive impacts from them. But there are some glaring negatives that seem to also be disproportionally impacting one race despite the improvements made on the racism front over the past 50yrs

I'll add other factors in the familial deterioration are women entering the workforce and a move away from religion.

The only thing that concerns me about reparations is that the idea seems about as stupid as student loan debt transfer - and the left is pushing that through. Reparations will probably be a major issue in 2024.

The only thing that concerns me about reparations is that the idea seems about as stupid as student loan debt transfer - and the left is pushing that through. Reparations will probably be a major issue in 2024.

Only if it looks like Democrats might lose a large percentage of black voters.

I seriously doubt that. Not much public support for this. From a 2021 poll:

AMHERST, Mass. – Nearly two-thirds of Americans and 90% of Republicans oppose the idea of providing reparations to the descendants of slaves, according to the results of a nationwide University of Massachusetts Amherst/WCVB poll released today.

You should read Thomas Sowell's book "White Guilt".
I have. He’s a great writer, and you’re repeating many of his most coherent arguments. I just don’t agree with them, or you.

Users who are viewing this thread