What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Strickland placed on IR (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
link:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3070

Colts Place Third-Year Cornerback On Injured Reserve

INDIANAPOLIS – A year ago, the season ended for cornerback Donald Strickland after four games.

This season, it ended three games sooner.

Strickland, the Colts’ third-year cornerback, was placed on injured reserve Wednesday afternoon, three days after he sustained a hamstring injury in the Colts’ season-opening victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

Strickland, a 2003 third-round draft selection from the University of Colorado, played as a nickel cornerback against the Ravens, defensing three passes and nearly intercepting one. He had missed much of the preseason with a hamstring injury.

A player placed on injured reserve is out for the season.

“It’s unfortunate,” Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said as the Colts (1-0) prepared to play the Jacksonville Jaguars (1-0) in an AFC South match-up at the RCA Dome Sunday at noon EST. “He went out and played and played well.

“He hurt his hamstring again and with the situation we’re in, we had to do something to get a couple of people here. It seemed like that was the best thing to do.”

The move came a day after the Colts re-activated safety Mike Doss from the reserve/suspended list, and also came the same day the team announced that safety Joseph Jefferson will miss Sunday’s home opener with a toe injury.

Doss, who missed the preseason with a groin injury and the season opener because of a one-game NFL suspension, returned to practice Wednesday.

“Mike is running around pretty well,” Dungy said. “With Joseph’s situation, I think we’ll need Mike and we’ll see how much he’s ready to play.

“He’ll probably start and we should be in good shape.”

Said Doss, “I studied the game (while out), but being out there and getting those reps – definitely you need that. I’ll go against (quarterback) Peyton (Manning) and those guys (in practice), try to get my timing back, and try to get as much time as I can.

“Once I get that going, we’ll see exactly how I feel.”

With Jefferson out, Doss, second-year veteran Bob Sanders, rookie Matt Giordano and veterans Gerome Sapp and Dexter Reid are the available safeties.

“We’ve got plenty of guys,” Dungy said.

Sanders is listed as questionable on this week’s injury report with a concussion.

“All the safeties have to be ready this week,” Sapp said. “Every week I approach it like I’ll be the starter in terms of my preparation. I will have to be ready this week.

“At some point, I’ll be in the game. Whether I start or not doesn’t make a difference. As long as I can go in and can be mentally sharp, that’s what I’m looking for.”

Also on Wednesday, Dungy said recently-signed defensive tackle Corey Simon should play more extensively Sunday than against Baltimore, when he started and played about 30 plays.

The Colts signed defensive tackle Jason Stewart to the active roster, re-signed offensive lineman Matt Ulrich to the practice squad and signed linebacker Johnathan Goddard to the practice squad.

REAGOR, CLARK RETURN: They missed the opener, but defensive tackle Montae Reagor and fullback/tight end Dallas Clark returned to practice Wednesday.

Reagor, who missed the preseason and the season opener with a groin injury, said he feels good and that he plans to try to play Sunday against Jacksonville.

“The body feels good,” he said. “I feel good about getting back out there.”

Dungy said he expects Reagor to play about 20-to-30 plays Sunday.

Clark missed the preseason finale and the season opener with the aftereffects of a concussion sustained in practice late in the preseason.

He said he will definitely play against Jacksonville.

“I’m back,” he said, smiling.

BURNS, GARDNER, WELSH OUT: Defensive end Sweet Pea Burns, linebacker Gilbert Gardner and defensive end Jonathan Welsh all will miss a second consecutive regular-season game Sunday, the team announced Wednesday.

Burns and Welsh, two rookies, have been out since the preseason opener with knee injuries. Gardner missed the Ravens game with a high-ankle sprain.

The Colts’ injury report reads as follows:

Burns (knee, out), Gardner (ankle, out), safety Joseph Jefferson (toe, out), Welsh (knee, out), Clark (concussion, questionable), Reagor (groin, questionable), running back Dominic Rhodes (foot, questionable),Sanders (concussion, questionable), defensive end Josh Thomas (knee, questionable), defensive tackle Larry Tripplett (knee, questionable), defensive end Raheem Brock (knee, probable), cornerback Marlin Jackson (shoulder, probable), safety Gerome Sapp (shoulder, probable) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley (hip, probable).

Of the players listed as questionable, Clark, Reagor, Rhodes and Sanders all practiced Wednesday while Tripplett and Thomas did not.

Tripplett’s injury originally appeared to be serious enough to keep him out this week, Dungy said.

“Now, he’s feeling better,” Dungy said. “He’s hopeful of practicing (Thursday). We’ll see what happens. If he’s able to practice tomorrow, it will be a good sign.”

Sanders played through the concussion sustained Sunday against Baltimore, then felt the aftereffects the following day, Dungy said.

“We hope to have him back by Friday as well,” Dungy said.

A BIG COMMITMENT: Dungy will be the Colts’ head coach for a lot longer, and Manning said that’s a very good thing.

Dungy has agreed to a contract extension through the 2009 season, the team announced this past week.

“It’s extremely well-deserved,” Manning said Wednesday, “It’s nice to see that type of commitment. He’s our head coach and he’s our leader. I’m very happy for him and happy for the organization as well.”

The Colts’ injury report reads as follows:

Burns (knee, out), Gardner (ankle, out), safety Joseph Jefferson (toe, out), Welsh (knee, out), Clark (concussion, questionable), Reagor (groin, questionable), running back Dominic Rhodes (foot, questionable),Sanders (concussion, questionable), defensive end Josh Thomas (knee, questionable), defensive tackle Larry Tripplett (knee, questionable), defensive end Raheem Brock (knee, probable), cornerback Marlin Jackson (shoulder, probable), safety Gerome Sapp (shoulder, probable) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley (hip, probable).

Of the players listed as questionable, Clark, Reagor, Rhodes and Sanders all practiced Wednesday while Tripplett and Thomas did not.
Why isn't Marlin Jackson practicing if he's listed as probable? :confused: I badly want to start this rookie CB in a Cover-2, but I need the signal that he's good to go.

I saw a blurb mentioning that he'll be the nickel back this week, not the starting corner. I think that was in the FBG Players in the News email.

I saw a blurb mentioning that he'll be the nickel back this week, not the starting corner. I think that was in the FBG Players in the News email.
Like most rookie CB's, the Colts will probably ease Jackson into action by having him intially play in the nickle. However, it's only a matter of time until either Harper or David makes their way to the bench......and the Jackson era begins! :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread