What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't thank God for that touchdown... (1 Viewer)

zoonation

Footballguy
In light of the fact that T.O. got a 15 yard penanlty from the No Fun League policy that one cannot "touch the ground" to celebrate a touchdown in the endzone, I am sure that the league will adopt a uniform approach to the interpretation of the rule and call penalties on those who take a knee in the endzone to give glory to :insert diety here:

Just like a judge can take past criminal history into account during sentencing, I have no problem with them taking T.O.'s past history of acting like a jackass into account when handing out penalties.

Unless I'm mistaken they can do whatever ####### antics they want to celebrate a TD with their team once they return to the sideline. They don't do it there because the the camera is not on them then.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoonation said:
so, does praying in the endzone get you a 15 yard penalty?
That's what the OP is implying it should, to keep things consistant, since TO's penalty was pretty ridiculously given. He barely touched the ground. Rules are rules, so they (better) enforce them to drop to one knee to pray or give thanksOr does "touch the ground" specifically mean hands/fingers/upper body appendages? Maybe dropping to a knee is okay becasue it's lower body?

As soon as someone is penalized for praying in the end zone it'll become an issue in the election campaign. You can count on that. Some political candidate or other will hear about it (probably through mass emails) and decide "hmmm, this might be just the thing to 'connect me with the voters' ". It'll be in speeches within a few days and someone will start pushing a constitutional amendment or mass rallies at stadiums or something. We all know how those assclowns work.

Just like a judge can take past criminal history into account during sentencing, I have no problem with them taking T.O.'s past history of acting like a jackass into account when handing out penalties.
:rolleyes: A penalty is a penalty. If refs are looking at the name on the back of a jersey to help them make a decision, go ref in the NBA instead.

I think many of the antics pulled by TO were over the top and stupid.

I think the penalty called on Sunday was completely over zealous.

Thats the attitude that leads to flags being thrown for a kid throwing the ball in the air after scoring a TD. Let the players celebrate.Period

As soon as someone is penalized for praying in the end zone it'll become an issue in the election campaign. You can count on that. Some political candidate or other will hear about it (probably through mass emails) and decide "hmmm, this might be just the thing to 'connect me with the voters' ". It'll be in speeches within a few days and someone will start pushing a constitutional amendment or mass rallies at stadiums or something. We all know how those assclowns work.
:lmao:

Unless I'm mistaken they can do whatever ####### antics they want to celebrate a TD with their team once they return to the sideline. They don't do it there because the the camera is not on them then.
Somehow I don't think they will do any praying to God when the camera isn't on them.

Somehow I don't think they will do any praying to God when the camera isn't on them.
Wow, sounds like you know them really really well to know the sincerity of their prayer life. Care to share how you were able to get on such personal terms with every NFL player?

Wow, sounds like you know them really really well to know the sincerity of their prayer life. Care to share how you were able to get on such personal terms with every NFL player?
Wow. Here is a better question. What color is the sky in your world to think that people do not use prayer to make themselves look good? Or are you "on such personal terms with every NFL player" as to state emphatically that they are the real deal?

This is a great point raised by the OP. I am really surprised the NFL didn't consider the kneel down prayer when they invented this silly rule. Shows you how dumb some of the guys are that run the League.

Personally, the only time I find myself annoyed when watching athletes celebrate or doing post-game interviews is when they start interjecting religion into their success. They should start doling out penalties for that crapola.

Just one man's opinion...

Of course after a score, the player could trip, fall to the ground holding his knee, then raise his arms toward heaven, then get up and run off claiming it was a miracle. That could work.

Wow. Here is a better question. What color is the sky in your world to think that people do not use prayer to make themselves look good? Or are you "on such personal terms with every NFL player" as to state emphatically that they are the real deal?
Is this a level? I never said they were or weren't sincere; go back and read my post and that will be readily apparent. I asked someone how they could possibly judge whether or not someone else is sincere and your response is essentially "You really think every one of them is sincere?"? I don't mean to be rude but that just doesn't make any sense.

So I am sure the refs have a list of "targets" based on the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)

Or maybe, they keep a closer eye on TO, than say, Matt Stover

:lmao:

zoonation said:
so, does praying in the endzone get you a 15 yard penalty?
That's what the OP is implying it should, to keep things consistant, since TO's penalty was pretty ridiculously given. He barely touched the ground. Rules are rules, so they (better) enforce them to drop to one knee to pray or give thanksOr does "touch the ground" specifically mean hands/fingers/upper body appendages? Maybe dropping to a knee is okay becasue it's lower body?
Getting down on his hands and knees, getting into starting blocks, with his hands still on the ground and imitating a sprinter's start is "barely" touchnig the ground? What's it take to really touch the ground...being buried?

God doesn't care about football.
No, but his mother does. Just ask the Notre Dame fans.BA-DOOM! CH!Also, wrong forum.Also, I agree 100%. All this "Jesus wanted me to score that touchdown" stuff is very hokey. I say penalize 'em!

When and how I interact with God is none of your business.
It is if you start off an interview, that I am watching, by thanking God for the victory. It's most certainly my business then, because you've made it my business.

I must be missing the point somewhere. Who cares who they credit for their touchdowns. They can thank their pet goldfish for all I care. What does it matter?

If it bothers you if they thank God, you should probably ask yourself why it bothers you so much.

Me?...I thank God it's football season. Oops, did I just upset you?

I must be missing the point somewhere. Who cares who they credit for their touchdowns. They can thank their pet goldfish for all I care. What does it matter?If it bothers you if they thank God, you should probably ask yourself why it bothers you so much.Me?...I thank God it's football season. Oops, did I just upset you?
I think the point of this thread was not whether they thank God or not, but if they're going to penalize anyone else for a celebration where they touch the ground, then they should penalize those who drop to one knee and touch the ground to thank God. Flag 'em all according to the literal rule, not just the 'celebrations'.

I cant wait to see what TO has in store next time...

I would love to see him "trip" over the back endzone line and fall over out of bounds, and make a big deal his hand "accidently" touched the ground.

wait...

According to the rule, they can't bend down and touch the ground after a TD...

But they can still jump into the stands??!?!

How does that make any sense???

Thats the attitude that leads to flags being thrown for a kid throwing the ball in the air after scoring a TD. Let the players celebrate.Period
That's the attitude that leads to Sharpie commercials and cell phones. You don't think there should be a limit at all? That is just absurd.

I must be missing the point somewhere. Who cares who they credit for their touchdowns. They can thank their pet goldfish for all I care. What does it matter?If it bothers you if they thank God, you should probably ask yourself why it bothers you so much.Me?...I thank God it's football season. Oops, did I just upset you?
I think it's irritating because I don't think too many spiritual folks think God has anything to do with someone scoring touchdowns. Sort of irritating like those who use cell phones in elevators, movie theatres, and driving.

Although the offense is penalized for celebrating when they score a touchdown, the defense can dance and jump and do pretty much whatever they want to celebrate a sack or interception. Why the hypocricy? Just let them all have a minute to celebrate their accomplishment and move on.

The NFL makes a big deal out of it like they want to legislate good behavior, "Don't enjoy your victory too much or you'll make the other team feel bad". What is this; figure skating or gymnastics? If you don't like seeing the other team celebrate their TD, try harder and stop them next time!

I see no reason to not let someone celebrate after scoring as long as there is no taunting of the opponent. My suggestion to the NFL would be to change how long you give teams to kick the extra point. Change it from 40 seconds to 30.

One other point: TO can't put his knee down, so by rule then anyone who also dances in the endzone is "touching it" and using it as a prop ( a dance floor). Should they not get flagged too then?

It's ridiculous.

Personally I don't care if they celebrate or not. However I was watching Super Bowl IX on youtube the other day and it was refreshing to see Franco Harris walk over to the ref and hand him the ball after a TD.

If TO really wants to do something different he should try it...

I think it's irritating because I don't think too many spiritual folks think God has anything to do with someone scoring touchdowns. Sort of irritating like those who use cell phones in elevators, movie theatres, and driving.
I'm with Hoss here...who cares who they give credit to. I would say I'm a "spiritual person" as some would put it, but I don't assume that everyone bending a knee and pointing to the "heavens" is giving credit to God. My guess is that there are many people that players are trying to "honor".I think the whole point of T.O. touching the ground -vs- bending a knee is skewed. The person bending a knee seems to be giving "honor" to someone else in a pretty unassuming way. Terrel Owens is a showman and a can be a punk, he bows down to himself. To me there is a fundamental difference here, one doesn't show anyone else up, the other does.

Help me out here - I'm trying to understand how a player briefly kneeling as an expression of faith is even comparable to, much less the equivalent of, someone dropping into a sprinter's stance or doing any of the other things that players do to celebrate or make a spectacle of themselves. :pics:

Because it's showing off, in the same way Owens and others show off. Player A does some act to show off himself, Player B kneels in prayer to show off his religion. Players can kneel or sprint or whatever just fine on their sideline.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if players celebrate however they want. But if some celebrations and banned then they all need to be banned. The last thing we need is special exceptions for special celebrations.

Because it's showing off, in the same way Owens and others show off. Player A does some act to show off himself, Player B kneels in prayer to show off his religion. Players can kneel or sprint or whatever just fine on their sideline. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if players celebrate however they want. But if some celebrations and banned then they all need to be banned. The last thing we need is special exceptions for special celebrations.
Praying is showing off?

Because it's showing off, in the same way Owens and others show off. Player A does some act to show off himself, Player B kneels in prayer to show off his religion. Players can kneel or sprint or whatever just fine on their sideline. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if players celebrate however they want. But if some celebrations and banned then they all need to be banned. The last thing we need is special exceptions for special celebrations.
Praying is showing off?
Who says they are PRAYING? How do you know they aren't honoring a Grandfather or other relative that passed away?Please don't confuse this with "Kurt Warner interview syndrome".......I may be "spiritual", but he annoys the CRAP out of me when he tries to twist everything into "Jesus helped me throw that TD pass". Somebody said it before, I don't think Jesus would be a huge fan of football.

Because it's showing off, in the same way Owens and others show off. Player A does some act to show off himself, Player B kneels in prayer to show off his religion. Players can kneel or sprint or whatever just fine on their sideline.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if players celebrate however they want. But if some celebrations and banned then they all need to be banned. The last thing we need is special exceptions for special celebrations.
Praying is showing off?
Who says they are PRAYING? How do you know they aren't honoring a Grandfather or other relative that passed away?Please don't confuse this with "Kurt Warner interview syndrome".......I may be "spiritual", but he annoys the CRAP out of me when he tries to twist everything into "Jesus helped me throw that TD pass". Somebody said it before, I don't think Jesus would be a huge fan of football.
Look, it's not my style to pray in public and I'm actually not a big fan of players that do it, but there is a point to be made that praying is different and should be treated differently than the ridiculous LOOK AT ME! schtick that's taken over via the likes of TO, Ocho Cinco, et al.

At least YOU are consistant. :confused:

The number of people who claim to enjoy these pathetic celebrations and claim them to be entertainment explains why all the crap on TV is so popular. Some people are just easily entertained.

Praying is showing off?
Why is it so hard for people to understand that people are greatful to God for everything good in their lives? If you believe God created you, then you believe he gave you your abilities than you believe he helped you throw a TD, because he made the arm that threw the ball. He helped and a Christian believes that, as God, he deserves some recognition.Why does this bother people so? It seems to be some disconnect where you think he is saying that God helped him and didn't help others. He is not saying that. In fact the opposite, that ALL players are helped by God who gave them their physical skills. I've met Kurt and seen him on a regular basis (several years ago). He's a genuine guy and he genuinely believes he is where he is, doing what he is doing because God helped him both in creating his body with its physical skills and in his attitude which are what has gotten him where he is. He feels obligated to give honor and credit to God. Sorry that bothers you, but that's why he does it. Simply to recognize that God helped him. Not to say thanks for that other team or player losing/not doing well. Kurt still thanks God when he struggles, it just doesn't make it on camera because no one interviews him then.

Jayrod said:
Scooby1974 said:
Tatum Bell said:
fatness said:
Praying is showing off?
Why is it so hard for people to understand that people are greatful to God for everything good in their lives? If you believe God created you, then you believe he gave you your abilities than you believe he helped you throw a TD, because he made the arm that threw the ball. He helped and a Christian believes that, as God, he deserves some recognition.Why does this bother people so? It seems to be some disconnect where you think he is saying that God helped him and didn't help others. He is not saying that. In fact the opposite, that ALL players are helped by God who gave them their physical skills. I've met Kurt and seen him on a regular basis (several years ago). He's a genuine guy and he genuinely believes he is where he is, doing what he is doing because God helped him both in creating his body with its physical skills and in his attitude which are what has gotten him where he is. He feels obligated to give honor and credit to God. Sorry that bothers you, but that's why he does it. Simply to recognize that God helped him. Not to say thanks for that other team or player losing/not doing well. Kurt still thanks God when he struggles, it just doesn't make it on camera because no one interviews him then.
I respect Kurt Warner and I agree with 95% of what you said. I just think that Kurt tries "too hard" to give God credit by saying it over and over...it can be more of a stumbling block to those that don't know God and are turned off by hyper charismatic type folks. Thank God, and then answer the reporters questions like a normal person would rather than trying to preach a sermon in a 2 minute interview. It turns people off and does more harm than good.

Jayrod said:
Scooby1974 said:
Tatum Bell said:
fatness said:
Praying is showing off?
I respect Kurt Warner and I agree with 95% of what you said. I just think that Kurt tries "too hard" to give God credit by saying it over and over...it can be more of a stumbling block to those that don't know God and are turned off by hyper charismatic type folks. Thank God, and then answer the reporters questions like a normal person would rather than trying to preach a sermon in a 2 minute interview. It turns people off and does more harm than good.
Good point.

Users who are viewing this thread