What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Gobbler welched out on his bet from year ago in this thread (1 Viewer)

Just FYI, I heard on ESPN 710 Mason and Ireland show that Chris Paul is coming to LA for a visit. No one knows yet if it's Lakers or Clippers. The rumor however is Gordon(Clippers) for Paul but the Lakers have reached out to the Hornets.

Kobe Paul Howard seems to be the goal.

Lakers need a PG more than they need another center.
Oh, and to your point - The Lakers have talked to NO about Chris Paul. No offers either way but more of a "what would it take to make this happen" type of discussion with plans to talk again. So, if I'm fantasizing....The Lakers trade Bynum to Orlando for Howard and Gasol to NO for Paul. Insert LO in to the starting lineup at PF, play SF by committee (Barnes, Kobe, etc....), and you've got a pretty dominant team IMO.
Come on.
I said I was fantasizing, but why not? The numbers are close enough and Orlando and NO want to get what they can for those guys. Is it likely? Heck no. But it's possible and, can you really say "come on" after the trades the Lakers have engineered in the past, most recently for Pau?
The unrealistic part is keeping Odom. If the CP3 + Dwight fantasy was to come true, Odom would definitely be gone.

Here is your super awesome list of FA point guards to fantasize over:

Rodney Stuckey, Detroit Pistons – $2.8 million – Restricted ($3.9 million Qualifying Offer)

T.J. Ford, Indiana Pacers – $8.5 million – Unrestricted

Carlos Arroyo, Boston Celtics – $1.2 million – Unrestricted

Ronnie Price, Utah Jazz – $1.3 million – Unrestricted

Patrick Mills, Portland Trail Blazers – $0.9 million – Restricted ($1.1 million Qualifying Offer)

Sebastian Telfair, Minnesota Timberwolves – $2.7 million – Unrestricted

Charlie Bell, Golden State Warriors – $3.9 million – Early Termination Option ($4.1 million)

Willie Green, New Orleans Hornets – $4.0 million – Unrestricted

Mario Chalmers, Miami HEAT – $0.9 million – Restricted ($1.1 million Qualifying Offer)

Jason Williams, Memphis Grizzlies – $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Earl Watson, Utah Jazz – $1.2 million – Unrestricted

Pooh Jeter, Sacramento Kings – $0.5 million – Unrestricted

Jose Barea, Dallas Mavericks – $1.7 million – Unrestricted

Sundiata Gaines, New Jersey Nets – $0.7 million – Unrestricted*

Chris Quinn, San Antonio Spurs – $0.9 million – Unrestricted

Royal Ivey, Oklahoma City Thunder – $1.1 million – Unrestricted

Marcus Banks, New Orleans Hornets – $4.9 million – Unrestricted

Earl Boykins, Milwaukee Bucks – $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Anthony Carter, New York Knicks – $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Acie Law, Golden State Warriors – $0.7 million – Unrestricted

John Lucas, Chicago Bulls – $0.7 million – Unrestricted*

Ben Uzoh, New Jersey Nets – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*

As ####ty as Fisher and Blake are, I don't think there is anything to be gained in there for you guys.

Oh, and to your point - The Lakers have talked to NO about Chris Paul. No offers either way but more of a "what would it take to make this happen" type of discussion with plans to talk again. So, if I'm fantasizing....The Lakers trade Bynum to Orlando for Howard and Gasol to NO for Paul. Insert LO in to the starting lineup at PF, play SF by committee (Barnes, Kobe, etc....), and you've got a pretty dominant team IMO.
:lmao: This is a Laker thread, but at least be semi realistic.
Chris Broussard is on ESPN right now saying the Lakers are very serious in trying to acquire Howard AND Paul."Everyone except Kobe is available."

Chris Broussard is on ESPN right now saying the Lakers are very serious in trying to acquire Howard AND Paul."Everyone except Kobe is available."
:thumbup: Get'r done, Mitch.

:lmao:

The Lakers have talked to NO about Chris Paul. No offers either way but more of a "what would it take to make this happen" type of discussion with plans to talk again.
Every team in the league has talked to NO about Chris Paul
Doubtful. Link?
Really?The best PG in the league is on the trading block and you dont think every team has called to see if they could work something out?
No, I don't. What could the Miami Heat possibly offer that they'd be willing to give up?

The Lakers have talked to NO about Chris Paul. No offers either way but more of a "what would it take to make this happen" type of discussion with plans to talk again.
Doubtful. Link?
Really?The best PG in the league is on the trading block and you dont think every team has called to see if they could work something out?
Nope.

Doubtful. Link?
No, I don't. What could the Miami Heat possibly offer that they'd be willing to give up?
I suppose they would have to inquire to see what exactly New Orleans is looking for.

Doubtful. Link?
I suppose they would have to inquire to see what exactly New Orleans is looking for.
Why? NO wouldn't trade Paul to Miami unless Wade or Lebron was involved, not to mention that Miami couldn't afford Paul unless one of those guys was included. That's not going to happen so Miami isn't going to waste anyone's time by making the inquiry.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to get Howard AND Paul, we would have to give up Gasol, Bynum, and Odom. Does this make sense?
No we don't, at least not on paper.
Wait, what? Of course they'd all have to be included (plus probably more), and of course the Lakers should do whatever it takes to get them.
Kobe, Paul and Howard on the same team would be incredible. The only way it happens (and I don't think it does) this year is if the Hornets will settle for Bynum and change and the Magic will settle for Gasol, Odom and change. There'd have to be some serious contract shuffling as well. I don't think there's any way this happens. The more (though not much more) likely scenario is they deal for one this year and sign the other as a FA next offseason. I don't know if/how the Lakers could clear enough salary space to do it, considering they'd likely have to eat a nasty contract in the trade.

Doubtful. Link?
Why? NO wouldn't trade Paul to Miami unless Wade or Lebron was involved, not to mention that Miami couldn't afford Paul unless one of those guys was included. That's not going to happen so Miami isn't going to waste anyone's time by making the inquiry.
:rolleyes: OK, maybe there are 3 or 4 teams that haven't inquired. The point was that the fact that the Lakers inquired is not newsworthy. Most teams have inquired.

Doubtful. Link?
:rolleyes: OK, maybe there are 3 or 4 teams that haven't inquired. The point was that the fact that the Lakers inquired is not newsworthy. Most teams have inquired.
:rolleyes: The Lakers trying to get BOTH players and saying they're willing to give up anyone on their roster besides Kobe is not newsworthy? Even when for years they've refused to give up Bynum?

Doubtful. Link?
most teams <> every team. So you are wrong. I also doubt the Bulls want to swap PG.

Doubtful. Link?
It is noteworthy for a number of reasons:1) If the Lakers were to pull this off it would be a bigger coup than Miami made last year, not to mention make a bunch of Lakers haters consider committing suicide. 2) It doesn't matter if a team like Milwaukee inquires. Paul absolutely will not go to Milwaukee, and since no trade is going to happen unless he's willing to sign an extension with the other team there are a limited number of teams with a realistic chance of acquiring him. The Lakers are one such team.3) This is the LAKERS thread. It's purpose is to discuss the LAKERS. This would qualify.

The NBA clearly has missed one of the things that has made the NFL dominant in US sports. Parity.

The NBA has lost it's way. It has done nothing but gone downhill after the golden age of Magic/Bird/Jordan.

The NBA clearly has missed one of the things that has made the NFL dominant in US sports. Parity. The NBA has lost it's way. It has done nothing but gone downhill after the golden age of Magic/Bird/Jordan.
Yeah, lots of parity in that "golden age." You've really captured the essence of the NBA.

Doubtful. Link?
most teams <> every team. So you are wrong. I also doubt the Bulls want to swap PG.
If had cheaply enough, the Bulls could definitely run out a back court of Paul at PG and Rose at SG and have some success with that. They would probably have some bumps in the road as they were figuring it out, but that back court would be infinitely better than one that includes Bogans.

Here is your super awesome list of FA point guards to fantasize over:Rodney Stuckey, Detroit Pistons – $2.8 million – Restricted ($3.9 million Qualifying Offer)T.J. Ford, Indiana Pacers – $8.5 million – UnrestrictedCarlos Arroyo, Boston Celtics – $1.2 million – UnrestrictedRonnie Price, Utah Jazz – $1.3 million – UnrestrictedPatrick Mills, Portland Trail Blazers – $0.9 million – Restricted ($1.1 million Qualifying Offer)Sebastian Telfair, Minnesota Timberwolves – $2.7 million – UnrestrictedCharlie Bell, Golden State Warriors – $3.9 million – Early Termination Option ($4.1 million)Willie Green, New Orleans Hornets – $4.0 million – UnrestrictedMario Chalmers, Miami HEAT – $0.9 million – Restricted ($1.1 million Qualifying Offer)Jason Williams, Memphis Grizzlies – $1.4 million – UnrestrictedEarl Watson, Utah Jazz – $1.2 million – UnrestrictedPooh Jeter, Sacramento Kings – $0.5 million – UnrestrictedJose Barea, Dallas Mavericks – $1.7 million – UnrestrictedSundiata Gaines, New Jersey Nets – $0.7 million – Unrestricted*Chris Quinn, San Antonio Spurs – $0.9 million – UnrestrictedRoyal Ivey, Oklahoma City Thunder – $1.1 million – UnrestrictedMarcus Banks, New Orleans Hornets – $4.9 million – UnrestrictedEarl Boykins, Milwaukee Bucks – $1.4 million – UnrestrictedAnthony Carter, New York Knicks – $1.4 million – UnrestrictedAcie Law, Golden State Warriors – $0.7 million – UnrestrictedJohn Lucas, Chicago Bulls – $0.7 million – Unrestricted*Ben Uzoh, New Jersey Nets – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*As ####ty as Fisher and Blake are, I don't think there is anything to be gained in there for you guys.
I think Stuckey and Barea would be upgrades.

id love to see the chris paul and dwight trade/transaction go through. more just dwight and if they can keep one of pau or bynum with him. i like shannaon brown coming off the bench very athletic and explosive player. also i like to seee a better backup point gaurd. d-fish isnt very skilled because he doesnt have to be but hes very smart, id like to see someone like jarret jack come off the bench and produce for the second line. obviously keep kobe and your team is set

'Chadstroma said:
The NBA clearly has missed one of the things that has made the NFL dominant in US sports. Parity. The NBA has lost it's way. It has done nothing but gone downhill after the golden age of Magic/Bird/Jordan.
You cite the "Golden Age" of Bird/Magic/Jordan and then claim that the NBA has lost its' way because of insufficient parity (one season after the Dallas Mavericks won the championship)? Your argument is internally incoherent.

id love to see the chris paul and dwight trade/transaction go through. more just dwight and if they can keep one of pau or bynum with him. i like shannaon brown coming off the bench very athletic and explosive player. also i like to seee a better backup point gaurd. d-fish isnt very skilled because he doesnt have to be but hes very smart, id like to see someone like jarret jack come off the bench and produce for the second line. obviously keep kobe and your team is set
Shannon Brown opted out of his contract and both he and the Lakers expect he will get better offers than what the Lakers can offer. He's probably gone.

'Gr00vus said:
I don't know if/how the Lakers could clear enough salary space to do it, considering they'd likely have to eat a nasty contract in the trade.
You're right that it probably won't happen, but this won't be the reason. Getting Howard and Paul would make the Lakers brand even more valuable than it is currently. The amount they would lose in some contract would be more than made up for by the revenue this would generate.

'Gr00vus said:
I don't know if/how the Lakers could clear enough salary space to do it, considering they'd likely have to eat a nasty contract in the trade.
You're right that it probably won't happen, but this won't be the reason. Getting Howard and Paul would make the Lakers brand even more valuable than it is currently. The amount they would lose in some contract would be more than made up for by the revenue this would generate.
I'm talking about cap space rules, not Buss's pockets. I have to imagine both Orlando and New Orleans would like to ship out some bad deals along with their superstars, but the Lakers can't absorb that many more big contracts under the cap without shedding some undesirables of their own. I have a hard time believing both deals get done and the only stinker contract they have to fit in is Turkoglu's, Skribbles's brilliant work with the trade machine not withstanding.Also, Buss already got his big T.V. payday, they've made it to the finals 3 of the last 4 years and they already sell out every game - how much more revenue will they generate via this deal? Is it going to come along with a hike in ticket prices? More advertising the Lakers get paid for somehow? The Laker girls already have a separate sponsor for each of the 600,000 costumes they wear during a game.

So, realistically they only have a shot at one of Howard or Paul. Which do you think they should target?

Given that Bynum will have to go out in the deal, I think you have to get Howard. I can't see the Lakers being able to hang with the big boys with Gasol playing C full time.

So assuming it'd be the Magic, would they do Howard for Bynum straight up? Probably not. They'd probably want to at least dump Arenas or Turkoglu's contract. In that case the Lakers would have to deal Gasol or Odom as well, as I assume sending Artest and Walton back to Orlando would defeat the purpose of dumping Arenas/Turkoglu. I assume it'd be Bynum+Odom for Howard+Turkoglu. At that point the Lakers have increased payroll $5.3M. Maybe they amnesty someone at that point, maybe they hang on to it for next year to dump Turkoglu in a play for signing a FA PG.

Does that deal make the Lakers better now? At least you secure a franchise cornerstone for another 5-6 years in Howard. I think you have to do that deal if Orlando accepts.

It's going to be tough on the Lakers regardless trying to get acclimated to a new coach/system with basically no training camp. I can see the first few months of this season being pretty rough while they get things figured out.

So, realistically they only have a shot at one of Howard or Paul. Which do you think they should target?Given that Bynum will have to go out in the deal, I think you have to get Howard. I can't see the Lakers being able to hang with the big boys with Gasol playing C full time.So assuming it'd be the Magic, would they do Howard for Bynum straight up? Probably not. They'd probably want to at least dump Arenas or Turkoglu's contract. In that case the Lakers would have to deal Gasol or Odom as well, as I assume sending Artest and Walton back to Orlando would defeat the purpose of dumping Arenas/Turkoglu. I assume it'd be Bynum+Odom for Howard+Turkoglu. At that point the Lakers have increased payroll $5.3M. Maybe they amnesty someone at that point, maybe they hang on to it for next year to dump Turkoglu in a play for signing a FA PG.Does that deal make the Lakers better now? At least you secure a franchise cornerstone for another 5-6 years in Howard. I think you have to do that deal if Orlando accepts.It's going to be tough on the Lakers regardless trying to get acclimated to a new coach/system with basically no training camp. I can see the first few months of this season being pretty rough while they get things figured out.
Personally, I would prefer a Bynum/Odom for Howard/Turk deal. They wouldn't be able to amnesty Turkoglu though with the CBA rules (can't amnesty a traded player).I would assume in a Paul deal it would end up being something like Bynum/Odom for Paul/Okafor, so the Lakers would get another big body back.Team AFish/Blake/FA FodderKobeMWPGasolBynum6 - OdomTeam BFish/Blake/FA FodderKobeMWP (or Turk)GasolHoward6 - Turk (or MWP)Team CPaulKobeMWPGasolOkafor6 - Barnes/Mid Level FA?

I'm extremely torn. I think CP3 is the most underrated player in the NBA. Most folks know he's a great player, but I'm not sure many realize that he's one of the greatest 3-4 PGs to ever play the game. Adding CP3 turns the Lakers biggest and most glaring weakness into perhaps their biggest strength. If they're able to get him and only lose Bynum (from the core), it's hard to imagine any line with Howard and DFish (minus Bynum and Odom) being better than a lineup featuring Kobe, CP3, Odom and Gasol. I also think CP3's presence would do wonders for preserving Kobe; the wear and tear on Kobe's body from being the only perimeter playmaker the Lakers have had for 10 years is starting to mount.

That being said, adding the league's premier interior defender in his prime is difficult to turn down. Paul's leg injuries are also somewhat worrisome, especially when Howard is the iron man of iron men.

I just don't know.

Also, Buss already got his big T.V. payday, they've made it to the finals 3 of the last 4 years and they already sell out every game - how much more revenue will they generate via this deal? Is it going to come along with a hike in ticket prices? More advertising the Lakers get paid for somehow? The Laker girls already have a separate sponsor for each of the 600,000 costumes they wear during a game.
Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that the Lakers TV contract is bigger than each of the other Western Conference teams.....COMBINED.

In the OC Times today Kevin Ding had an article basically saying the Lakers should wait and see while showcasing Bynum. He thinks he'll have even more game this year and as the season goes on the teams being held hostage will get more desperate. The risk is that Bynum gets hurt again. I guess that makes sense, but to me, if you're going to make a move, make it now and get all the adjustments over with at once rather than disrupting the roster in mid season.

Also, Buss already got his big T.V. payday, they've made it to the finals 3 of the last 4 years and they already sell out every game - how much more revenue will they generate via this deal? Is it going to come along with a hike in ticket prices? More advertising the Lakers get paid for somehow? The Laker girls already have a separate sponsor for each of the 600,000 costumes they wear during a game.
Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that the Lakers TV contract is bigger than each of the other Western Conference teams.....COMBINED.
The conservative estimate for the value of the deal (assuming the option to extend is not exercised) s 4 billion over 20 years, 200 million a year. I don't know what the other teams' t.v. contracts are, but that's a pretty big meatball.

I think Paul is the better player, but if Bynum and Odom are the guys on the block then the Lakers have to get Howard in return.

The conservative estimate for the value of the deal (assuming the option to extend is not exercised) s 4 billion over 20 years, 200 million a year. I don't know what the other teams' t.v. contracts are, but that's a pretty big meatball.
That's nuts.Do the Lakers have their own network or do they show their games on something like Fox Sports?

ETA: I should have clicked on the link, looks like its some sort of Time Warner sports network.

That's nuts.Do the Lakers have their own network or do they show their games on something like Fox Sports?

ETA: I should have clicked on the link, looks like its some sort of Time Warner sports network.
I think there are teams that have annual deals of less than 10 million. I think the Celtics just signed one that nets them ~40 million a year.

I know people like to bash Laker fans, but just consider that this deal is basically built on our backs as testimony to the idea that we're actually a pretty solid fan base.

Now this......this I do

L.A. LAKERS

The Trade: Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor for Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, Steve Blake and Derrick Caracter.

Additional Notes: I'm not sure the Hornets would keep Odom here — they could spin him to, say, the Clippers (for Aminu and Ryan Gomes) or Minnesota (for Michael Beasley and Anthony Randolph).

The Verdict: As a full-fledged Lakers hater, this one sends chills down my spine. The Hornets save $7 million this season, rebuild around Bynum (good luck with that) and dump the last three years of their Okafor/Ariza deals ($62.7 million). The Lakers get a true center back (Okafor, an underrated double-double guy who can protect the rim), a defensive swingman who knows how to play with Kobe (Ariza), and one of the biggest point guard upgrades in basketball history (going from Steve Blake and Derek Fisher to Chris Paul). They're reinventing their team AND making it better. Yikes.

If I'm The Lakers, Here's My Biggest Concern: We can't get Howard AND Paul. Is getting Paul a better course than getting Howard? My answer: Yes. Getting Howard requires a Bynum/Gasol package; getting Paul means you keep Gasol, which means you'd have three of the best 15 players in basketball (Kobe, Gasol, Paul) and some competent rotation guys (Okafor, Ariza, Fisher, Metta World Peace and Free Agent X). That's a no-brainer in my mind. I'd have a better chance of winning with Kobe, Gasol, Paul, Okafor and Ariza than Kobe, Howard, Odom and Turkoglu — not just this season, but the next two after that.

If I'm The Hornets, Here's My Biggest Concern: Do I really want to rebuild my entire team around Andrew Bynum, someone who missed an extraordinary number of games already, might be headed for more knee problems down the road, and seems to have the emotional maturity of a Real World roommate? Am I the only one who remembers him clotheslining little J.J. Barea last spring, then storming off half-naked? That's going to be my signature guy for the rest of the decade? Really?
Paul, Fisher, MorrisKobe, Goudelock

Ariza, Barnes,Kapono, Ebanks

Gasol

Okafur

Amnesty MWP, Walton retires, Shannon Brown leaves.

MLE, and Vet mins to the best bigmen that want to come for that price.

If I'm The Hornets, Here's My Biggest Concern: Do I really want to rebuild my entire team around Andrew Bynum, someone who missed an extraordinary number of games already, might be headed for more knee problems down the road, and seems to have the emotional maturity of a Real World roommate? Am I the only one who remembers him clotheslining little J.J. Barea last spring, then storming off half-naked? That's going to be my signature guy for the rest of the decade? Really?
Haters can hate, but as a Laker fan I LOVED that from Bynum. It was his "#### EVERYBODY" moment. We've been waiting for it for a few years now.I'm in favor of moving Bynum for Howard and/or Paul, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not stressing. I think this is the year the Bynum monster erupts and he's the starting C in the All Star game putting up beast numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread