What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (2 Viewers)

Nothing against either Duke or Miles, but a couple tough matchups weeks 16 &17. Saints #6 vs run & Titans #2.

Don't think you can trust him this week.

Tough matchup and Gaskin was not all there coming off Covid.

Have a feeling Duke falls into the abyss once again only to suddenly reappear when we least expect it two years from now.

will he be signed?

Signed with Buffalo. Unless they cut him, that's where he is. He might get cut depending on who they want to keep due to the fact that his salary isn't prohibitive. My bold, hottest of hot takes? He winds up their leading rusher in a few games this year if he doesn't get cut. 

😳

a Duke Johnson truther. 

i thought they were all extinct. 
There's a rock group I like. Native to the Bay Area, actually. They're called Vain. Anyway, they hit a mark in the heyday of hair metal and were really quite a good band considering the genre. Well, after '89 things went south for hair metal, and there was Vain, stuck with all this good hair and looks and chops and nowhere to play. So what did they do? Well, their marketers tried to Seattle-ify their sound. Went with psychedelic covers and all that to make it seem that Vain was a different band. And in the race to be big, their sound sort of complied with the powers-that-be. But as we know, that's a tough transition to make. No authenticity there.

So they drifted wayward for a number of years -- and were even defunct -- until Davy Vain, lead singer and band leader decided, "Hey. Whoa. We just gotta do what we were born to do." And do they did. They did until your ears bled with appreciation for proficiency and talent. The problem? By then it was '05 and there was absolutely no audience to speak of for the type of music they were doing. But they put it out there anyway, and it was glorious. It was an album called On The Line, and it sounded like the best of glam/trash/hair metal and it earned them another fifteen years on the hair metal circuit playing shows and fairs and the like. 

And that's Duke Johnson. His two games in Miami last year assured he'll get at least a look-see from the powers that be that need a running back for a game or two. And my prediction is that with Singletary, Moss, and Cook as their main backs that there's some fragility and talent disparity there. So in my boldest of hot takes in the offseason, I think if Duke makes the team and doesn't wind up on the practice squad, that he leads that team in rushing for two games. For, as Vain said back in '05, when everybody said it was too late 

Keep shining on/I wanna tear down the walls
Keep shining on/I only wanna be a superstar

Okay, so maybe that's not a perfect analogy, but I'm listening to Vain and thinking how everyone gave up on Duke when he was at least as good as the starting backs on his team and thinking about how he might be aged but how a resurgence is yet to come if he gets a chance in that offense where there's certainly a demand for a back of his once-ignored talents. Let's hope it's not too late like it was for Vain. 

Whether that is actionable fantasy advice is another thing entirely. But keep a watch on the Buffalo backfield and their RB situation as the year progresses. He's not worth a watch list, but keep him in the back of your mind come during those dreary weeks of Weeks 8-14 or whenever the teams start to get banged up and desperate. 

There's a rock group I like. Native to the Bay Area, actually. They're called Vain. Anyway, they hit a mark in the heyday of hair metal and were really quite a good band considering the genre. Well, after '89 things went south for hair metal, and there was Vain, stuck with all this good hair and looks and chops and nowhere to play. So what did they do? Well, their marketers tried to Seattle-ify their sound. Went with psychedelic covers and all that to make it seem that Vain was a different band. And in the race to be big, their sound sort of complied with the powers-that-be. But as we know, that's a tough transition to make. No authenticity there.

So they drifted wayward for a number of years -- and were even defunct -- until Davy Vain, lead singer and band leader decided, "Hey. Whoa. We just gotta do what we were born to do." And do they did. They did until your ears bled with appreciation for proficiency and talent. The problem? By then it was '05 and there was absolutely no audience to speak of for the type of music they were doing. But they put it out there anyway, and it was glorious. It was an album called On The Line, and it sounded like the best of glam/trash/hair metal and it earned them another fifteen years on the hair metal circuit playing shows and fairs and the like. 

And that's Duke Johnson. His two games in Miami last year assured he'll get at least a look-see from the powers that be that need a running back for a game or two. And my prediction is that with Singletary, Moss, and Cook as their main backs that there's some fragility and talent disparity there. So in my boldest of hot takes in the offseason, I think if Duke makes the team and doesn't wind up on the practice squad, that he leads that team in rushing for two games. For, as Vain said back in '05, when everybody said it was too late 

Keep shining on/I wanna tear down the walls
Keep shining on/I only wanna be a superstar

Okay, so maybe that's not a perfect analogy, but I'm listening to Vain and thinking how everyone gave up on Duke when he was at least as good as the starting backs on his team and thinking about how he might be aged but how a resurgence is yet to come if he gets a chance in that offense where there's certainly a demand for a back of his once-ignored talents. Let's hope it's not too late like it was for Vain. 
I would like to nominate this for the greatest analogy ever made on this, or  any forum. 

I would like to nominate this for the greatest analogy ever made on this, or  any forum. 
LOL. Thanks, man. 

Not sure this is an airtight analogy as much as some weird guy trying to put into perspective his appreciation of a little-known hair metal band and their re-entry into a hair metal sound in a world that had moved on. It's really a story of the truly talented and unappreciated. Just like Duke, leading rusher all-time for the Miami Hurricanes, has been unappreciated and disrespected his whole career. 

The NFL. Ouch sometimes.  

LOL. Thanks, man. 

Not sure this is an airtight analogy as much as some weird guy trying to put into perspective his appreciation of a little-known hair metal band and their re-entry into a hair metal sound in a world that had moved on. It's really a story of the truly talented and unappreciated. Just like Duke, leading rusher all-time for the Miami Hurricanes, has been unappreciated and disrespected his whole career. 

The NFL. Ouch sometimes.  
Having grown up on metal in the Bay Area I’m only surprised I’d never heard of them. 

Having grown up on metal in the Bay Area I’m only surprised I’d never heard of them. 
They hit a little too late with their sound and look in the fall of '89, which is when their debut dropped, if I'm not mistaken. Things were pretty much dead by then for new entrants to the game. 

From Wiki: 

Kerrang! writer Steve Beebee reviewed their show at Rock City in Nottingham, stating that "even though their set-list includes a mere four songs from that Holy Grail of debuts [No Respect]," it was a gig that "leave you genuinely amazed, and more than anything, angry that a trend-fixed music industry could possibly have suppressed this awesome band for 15 years."[22]

Amen, Steve. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really a story of the truly talented and unappreciated.
I know I am in the minority here, but I think the Browns used him correctly.  His first 3 years in the league, he was the pass-catching RB while Isaiah Crowell did most of the rushing.  As a rookie, he was 3rd on the team in receptions (61).  Only 3 other RB's in the league had more catches.  He had 165 touches to Crowell's 204, but Crowell had a higher yards per carry, yards per reception, and catch %.  Say what you want about Crowell, but the numbers favor him, at least for 2015.  In 2016, once again, the Browns were happy with Crowell as the lead back and Duke coming in on passing downs.  Both backs had running success (4.8 for Isaiah, 4.9 for Duke), and they finished 3rd (Duke) and 4th (Isaiah) for team receptions.  Again, Crowell certainly did well enough to maintain his lead back role over Duke, but the touches could've been closer (238 to 126), but not necessarily should've.  In 2017, the touch numbers got closer (234 for Crowell, 156 for Johnson), but Duke led the team in targets, receptions, and TD's.  He finished RB11 in PPR.  From 2015 thru 2017, Crowell averaged 4.26 YPC and Johnson averaged 4.19 YPC.  I would not call him underappreciated after seeing the numbers above.

Then, in 2018, some guy named Nick Chubb comes along.  And here comes veteran Carlos Hyde too.  For the first 6 games, Hyde is the workhorse, and Duke is the pass-catcher.  Duke actually out-touched Chubb in each of the first 6 games.  Then CLE got sick of Hyde and let Chubb run wild.  As Hyde's backup for 6 games, Duke averaged 5.5 touches per game.  After Hyde left and Duke became Chubb's backup for 10 games, he averaged 5.4 touches per game.  You can't fault CLE for keeping Chubb chugging along.

The whole point of this is to show CLE did appreciate him and used him effectively.  Now, as for 2019 through 2021...

I know I am in the minority here, but I think the Browns used him correctly.  His first 3 years in the league, he was the pass-catching RB while Isaiah Crowell did most of the rushing. 
Duke's been around a LONG time.  Crowell, oof.  That feels like forever ago.

Users who are viewing this thread