What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (2 Viewers)

Iowa junior TE Noah Fant is among the tight ends who were placed on the John Mackey Award watch list.

There were 64 total players placed on the Mackey Award watch list; an award that goes to the top tight end in the country. Fant is considered one of the top contenders for the award, and many view him as the top prospect at the position for the 2019 draft. Other high-profile names on the list include Missouri's Albert Okwuegbunam, LSU's Foster Moreau, Notre Dame's Alize Mack, and Oregon's Jacob Breeland. The full list can be viewed in the link below.

Source: College Football Talk 

Jul 20 - 6:06 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that Michigan junior QB Shea Patterson is a "mobile passer with a great head for the game."

"In some ways he reminds me of Johnny Manziel with his incredible ability to elude the rush and pick up yardage with his legs," Pauline writes, before adding another scintillating comp in noting that the 6-foot-2, 193-pound Patterson flashes at times in a similar way to Baker Mayfield in terms of his field sense and wherewithal. The analyst absolutely loves what he's seen on film from the former Ole Miss signal-caller's approach when a given play begins to devolve. All of this is encouraging, though Pauline does caution that "[h]is lack of size and inability to drive the deep pass accurately are a major concern when projecting him to the next level." Draft Analyst stamps Sugar Shea with a first-round grade at this juncture, believing that the quarterback could have room to rise on Day 1 so long as his 2017 season does not go off the rails in either the health or on-field play departments.

Source: Draft Analyst

Jul 18 - 2:41 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline gives Michigan senior RB LJ Scott a third-round grade coming into the year.

Scott has had injury concerns, but when healthy, the 6-foot, 233-pound tailback has flashes next-level ability with the Spartans. "Scott has the size and power to pound the interior, enough short area quickness to make defenders miss or turn the corner as well as the pass catching hands to be a receiving threat out of the backfield," Pauline writes. He also calls Scott a "better version of Royce Freeman," the former Oregon Duck who went in the third-round to Denver. We could see Scott go in a similar position come 2019 if he puts it all together in his senior season.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Jul 16 - 11:41 AM

offdee said:
David Montgomery (Iowa St) not listed in the intro paragraph or the top 30 rankings, or even the final honorable mention closing paragraph ?!?!   Big ommission.
Montgomery ALREADY brokeout! ;)

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
I shed 2 of my devy leagues because I don't want to invest time studying HS players/NCAA freshman/etc these days, but I'm still in one where only players eligible for the next draft can be taken. We just finished our dev draft today. It's a 14 team TE premium league with mandatory 2 RB.

Selected last year: Myles Gaskin, LJ Scott, Damien Harris

1. N’Keal Harry, WR
2. Bryan Edwards, WR
3. AJ Brown, WR
4. David Montgomery, RB
5. Kelvin Harmon, WR
6. Damarea Crockett, RB
7. Bryce Love, RB
8. DK Metcalf, WR
9. Noah Fant, TE
10. Ahmmon Richards, WR
11. Collin Johnson, WR
12. Zach Moss, RB
13. Rodney Anderson, RB
14. Hakeem Butler, WR

I'm not watching much CFB at all these days, but I did a little dive into the player pool to see if I could find anyone I liked. I have to say that I'm not blown away by this group. I don't see a Barkley/JuJu/Blackmon/Richardson/Crabtree type of player that I'd be thrilled to land at the 1.01 this year. I'm sure some of these guys will turn out to be great prospects, but nobody really struck my fancy. If I'd had the 1.01 pick and no option to trade down, I probably would've taken AJ Brown. He could be faster, but has a good frame and adequate mobility. A lot of the other WRs weren't really my preferred type, being taller/rangier guys with suspect mobility (i.e. Harry, Harmon, Metcalf, etc). I tend to prefer the agile/RAC type of WRs over the jump ball types.

I had the #6 pick and ended up targeting Damarea Crockett. I know from checking other drafts that he's kind of off-the-radar after his shortened sophomore season. He might not have been picked if I hadn't rolled the dice, but I looked at all the top guys and liked him the most of the available RBs. He seems like a solid 2nd-4th round talent who could be a late riser ala Alvin Kamara or Rashaad Penny. Like those guys, he combines NFL size with above average mobility and versatility. He's not blazing fast (maybe mid 4.5 if I had to guess), but he crushed the rest of the testing in the Nike combines coming out of HS (huge vertical leap, power toss, and SPARQ score), so he's probably going to do okay at the NFL combine. He seems to be a bit straight-liney when he gets into the second level, but he's quick and shifty behind the line of scrimmage. I thought he looked pretty good in most of his game cut-ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlZ8ui3ooc

That being said, I'd much rather have Chubb, let alone Barkley. Last year's RB class was pretty strong. This year's seems weak at the moment, though there's time for the landscape to change.

I also considered Fant at my pick. TEs are very valuable in this format due to 1.5 PPR and mixed WR/TE eligibility. I liked Fant's height and straight line speed. He sort of reminds me of Njoku or a more speed-oriented Gronk with his frame and running style, but he's not really a sharp or gifted route runner ala Ebron/Hurst/Eifert/etc. I tend to favor that type of TE over the straight-line seam threat types.

I shed 2 of my devy leagues because I don't want to invest time studying HS players/NCAA freshman/etc these days, but I'm still in one where only players eligible for the next draft can be taken. We just finished our dev draft today. It's a 14 team TE premium league with mandatory 2 RB.

Selected last year: Myles Gaskin, LJ Scott, Damien Harris

1. N’Keal Harry, WR
2. Bryan Edwards, WR
3. AJ Brown, WR
4. David Montgomery, RB
5. Kelvin Harmon, WR
6. Damarea Crockett, RB
7. Bryce Love, RB
8. DK Metcalf, WR
9. Noah Fant, TE
10. Ahmmon Richards, WR
11. Collin Johnson, WR
12. Zach Moss, RB
13. Rodney Anderson, RB
14. Hakeem Butler, WR

I'm not watching much CFB at all these days, but I did a little dive into the player pool to see if I could find anyone I liked. I have to say that I'm not blown away by this group. I don't see a Barkley/JuJu/Blackmon/Richardson/Crabtree type of player that I'd be thrilled to land at the 1.01 this year. I'm sure some of these guys will turn out to be great prospects, but nobody really struck my fancy. If I'd had the 1.01 pick and no option to trade down, I probably would've taken AJ Brown. He could be faster, but has a good frame and adequate mobility. A lot of the other WRs weren't really my preferred type, being taller/rangier guys with suspect mobility (i.e. Harry, Harmon, Metcalf, etc). I tend to prefer the agile/RAC type of WRs over the jump ball types.

I had the #6 pick and ended up targeting Damarea Crockett. I know from checking other drafts that he's kind of off-the-radar after his shortened sophomore season. He might not have been picked if I hadn't rolled the dice, but I looked at all the top guys and liked him the most of the available RBs. He seems like a solid 2nd-4th round talent who could be a late riser ala Alvin Kamara or Rashaad Penny. Like those guys, he combines NFL size with above average mobility and versatility. He's not blazing fast (maybe mid 4.5 if I had to guess), but he crushed the rest of the testing in the Nike combines coming out of HS (huge vertical leap, power toss, and SPARQ score), so he's probably going to do okay at the NFL combine. He seems to be a bit straight-liney when he gets into the second level, but he's quick and shifty behind the line of scrimmage. I thought he looked pretty good in most of his game cut-ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozlZ8ui3ooc

That being said, I'd much rather have Chubb, let alone Barkley. Last year's RB class was pretty strong. This year's seems weak at the moment, though there's time for the landscape to change.

I also considered Fant at my pick. TEs are very valuable in this format due to 1.5 PPR and mixed WR/TE eligibility. I liked Fant's height and straight line speed. He sort of reminds me of Njoku or a more speed-oriented Gronk with his frame and running style, but he's not really a sharp or gifted route runner ala Ebron/Hurst/Eifert/etc. I tend to favor that type of TE over the straight-line seam threat types.
While I always appreciate your analysis and feedback. Fant and Njoku are different but exactly what way do you see the resemblance? I’ve watch both in full game action it could be something I’m missing. 

I’d take Montgomery #2 on that list if he stays healthy.

Tex

While I always appreciate your analysis and feedback. Fant and Njoku are different but exactly what way do you see the resemblance?
They both have gliding straight line speed. Very long strides that chew up space and cause problems.

Higher on Njoku though. Liked him quite a bit as a draft prospect. Would've taken Fant myself in this draft if I were totally sold. See him as more in the Gesiciki tier (i.e. 2nd round prospect).

EBF said:
They both have gliding straight line speed. Very long strides that chew up space and cause problems.

Higher on Njoku though. Liked him quite a bit as a draft prospect. Would've taken Fant myself in this draft if I were totally sold. See him as more in the Gesiciki tier (i.e. 2nd round prospect).
What about Njoku that has you higher on him? My hang up has been his hands of stone (slight exaggeration). Fant while I’ve only watched three games seems more of a natural catcher.

Tex

I think Njoku is more athletic overall. Hands are obviously important and it's really hard to be a great receiver if you can't catch, but generally speaking I think I put less emphasis on jump ball skills/circus catches and more on athleticism/route running/RAC skills compared with most rookie drafters. I guess that's my way of saying that I think the ability to move cleanly, separate, and run with the ball is more important than pure hands when evaluating WRs and TEs, provided that the player in question doesn't have total stone mits.

Dynasty rookie 2019 consensus rankings July 2018 edition - these players show up in three or more ranks out of thirteen that I have found.  Some ranks were as early as January.  

Code:
Precombine	Player		Pos	School		Count	Average (excluding min max)
1	N'Keal Harry		WR	Arizona St	13	1.09
2	A.J. Brown		WR	Ole Miss	13	3.18
3	David Montgomery	RB	Iowa St		12	4.00
4	DeKaylin Metcalf	WR	Ole Miss	13	4.82
5	Kelvin Harmon		WR	N.C. State	13	4.91
6	Ahmmon Richards		WR	Miami		13	5.73
7	Bryan Edwards		WR	South Carolina	12	5.90
8	Bryce Love		RB	Stanford	11	8.44
9	Damien Harris		RB	Alabama		8	10.50
10	Rodney Anderson		RB	Oklahoma	10	10.50
11	Myles Gaskin		RB	Washington	12	11.60
12	Trayveon Williams	RB	Texas A&M	7	12.80
13	Deebo Samuel		WR	South Carolina	11	13.00
14	Jaylen Smith		WR	Louisville	9	13.29
15	Noah Fant		TE	Iowa		4	14.00
16	Anthony Johnson		WR	Buffalo		3	15.00
17	Damarea Crockett	RB	Missouri	6	16.00
18	Collin Johnson		WR	Texas		5	16.67
19	Elijah Holyfield	RB	Georgia		5	17.33
20	Demetris Robinson	WR	California	4	17.50
21	Devin Singletary	RB	Fl. Atlantic	6	19.75
22	L.J. Scott		RB	Michigan St	3	20.00
23	Tyler Vaughns		WR	USC		5	21.00
24	Benny Snell		RB	Kentucky	7	22.20
25	Justin Herbert		QB	Oregon		3	23.00
26	Justice Hill		RB	Oklahoma St	6	23.25
27	Tyrie Cleveland		WR	Florida  	5	23.67
28	Chase Claypool		WR	Notre Dame	3	24.00
29	David Sills		WR	West Virginia	3	24.00
30	Jarrett Stidham		QB	Auburn		3	24.00
31	Mike Weber		RB	Ohio St		3	26.00
32	Michael Pittman		WR	USC		5	26.33
33	Drew Lock		QB	Missouri	3	27.00
34	Parris Campbell		WR	Ohio St		3	28.00
35	Miles Sanders		RB	Penn St		5	28.67
36	Travis Homer		RB	Miami		3	34.00

Dynasty rookie 2019 consensus rankings July 2018 edition - these players show up in three or more ranks out of thirteen that I have found.  Some ranks were as early as January.  

Precombine Player Pos School Count Average (excluding min max)
1 N'Keal Harry WR Arizona St 13 1.09
2 A.J. Brown WR Ole Miss 13 3.18
3 David Montgomery RB Iowa St 12 4.00
4 DeKaylin Metcalf WR Ole Miss 13 4.82
5 Kelvin Harmon WR N.C. State 13 4.91
6 Ahmmon Richards WR Miami 13 5.73
7 Bryan Edwards WR South Carolina 12 5.90
8 Bryce Love RB Stanford 11 8.44
9 Damien Harris RB Alabama 8 10.50
10 Rodney Anderson RB Oklahoma 10 10.50
11 Myles Gaskin RB Washington 12 11.60
12 Trayveon Williams RB Texas A&M 7 12.80
13 Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina 11 13.00
14 Jaylen Smith WR Louisville 9 13.29
15 Noah Fant TE Iowa 4 14.00
16 Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo 3 15.00
17 Damarea Crockett RB Missouri 6 16.00
18 Collin Johnson WR Texas 5 16.67
19 Elijah Holyfield RB Georgia 5 17.33
20 Demetris Robinson WR California 4 17.50
21 Devin Singletary RB Fl. Atlantic 6 19.75
22 L.J. Scott RB Michigan St 3 20.00
23 Tyler Vaughns WR USC 5 21.00
24 Benny Snell RB Kentucky 7 22.20
25 Justin Herbert QB Oregon 3 23.00
26 Justice Hill RB Oklahoma St 6 23.25
27 Tyrie Cleveland WR Florida 5 23.67
28 Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame 3 24.00
29 David Sills WR West Virginia 3 24.00
30 Jarrett Stidham QB Auburn 3 24.00
31 Mike Weber RB Ohio St 3 26.00
32 Michael Pittman WR USC 5 26.33
33 Drew Lock QB Missouri 3 27.00
34 Parris Campbell WR Ohio St 3 28.00
35 Miles Sanders RB Penn St 5 28.67
36 Travis Homer RB Miami 3 34.00

Thanks for sharing. I'm not nearly as high on this WR class as most people seem to be.

As mentioned above, I like Crockett as a likely day 2 NFL draft pick with late 1 upside ala Penny/Addai. He's not freaky good ala Barkley or the college version of Trent Richardson, but it's hard to find 230 pound backs with mobility and hands. There's always room for those guys on NFL teams.

Love Gaskin as a runner, but don't know if he has enough size or pure speed to make it work in the NFL.

Weber reminds me of a Shane Vereen type of guy. Compact with some quickness and burst, but not really special.

Never really seen it with Bryce Love despite the production and the speed. Just not my cup of tea.

Relatively speaking, this looks like a weak set of players. Let's hope for some late risers during the NCAA season.

When I reviewed 2018, Love and Gaskin were 2 that I looked at and if that’s the creme of the crop (other than Montgomery) then I have lots of questions that need to be answered by their athleticism and last college season before they come out.  I don’t think there were any WRs that I looked at “too early” but AJ seems like he’s pretty handily in the lead for the #1 spot right now.  

Im sure some more will come to light but as of now I’m rather unimpressed.  Could easily change if some of them answer the questions or guys just have their breakout or whatever though.

For those in the know....where would WRs Harry and Brown have ranked among this year's rookie class?  Obviously behind once in a generation Barkley....but would they be right there in the conversation at 2?  Or would they be behind (fill in the blank other 2018 rookie RBs)?  I imagine they're better than any rookie WR from the current class, or even from 2017 (Corey Davis and Mike Williams) and most from 2016 (Corey Coleman, Treadwell, Doctson....all but Thomas, really). 

....come to think of it, when was the last time a rookie WR lived up to the hype, other than Thomas?

For those in the know....where would WRs Harry and Brown have ranked among this year's rookie class?  Obviously behind once in a generation Barkley....but would they be right there in the conversation at 2?  Or would they be behind (fill in the blank other 2018 rookie RBs)?  I imagine they're better than any rookie WR from the current class, or even from 2017 (Corey Davis and Mike Williams) and most from 2016 (Corey Coleman, Treadwell, Doctson....all but Thomas, really). 

....come to think of it, when was the last time a rookie WR lived up to the hype, other than Thomas?
I don't know a whole lot on the 2019 class yet, but I viewed Guice very very high so it would be tough for me to put anyone above 1.03.  After Barkley and Guice, it was kind of a cluster for anyone if you compared rankings to others.  There was no set it and forget it type at 1.03 so if these WR's turn out to be what some of us think, then I could definitely see them being in that consideration.  

I don't know a whole lot on the 2019 class yet, but I viewed Guice very very high so it would be tough for me to put anyone above 1.03.  After Barkley and Guice, it was kind of a cluster for anyone if you compared rankings to others.  There was no set it and forget it type at 1.03 so if these WR's turn out to be what some of us think, then I could definitely see them being in that consideration.  
And those two are, at this point, the consensus 1-2 in next year's draft?  Seems that the last few drafts have had a clear cut favorite RB at the top - Barkley, Fournette, Zeke, Gurley.

Bryce Love looking like Ronald Jones tonight vs. SD St.

12 carries for 7 yds so far

ETA: Finished 17 for 26 yds and 3 rec for 18 yds. - 7.4 pts if you have him in an NCAA PPR league.

Anyway, watching this game I was introduced to JJ Arcega-Whiteside, kid looks really good but also benefited by terrible corner play by SD ST. Looked his stats up from 2016/2017 Kid is a SR. listed at 6' 4" 225 and didn't play his FR year. As a Soph he had moderate stats but 5 TD's on 24 receptions. Last year he went for 48/781/9 in 11 games (missed 3)

Nothing earth shattering but his 14 TD's on 72 receptions is an eye opener.  Fast forward to tonight, 6/226/3 and a 2 pt conversion. He now has 17 TD's on 78 receptions in his college career. Now, like I said earlier, he was covered by a terrible CB, guy fell down on  Arcega-Whiteside's 80 yd. TD and then got owned on the ensuing 2 pt conversion, but someone to keep an eye on.

Brought to you by the man that introduced Cooper Kupp to the Shark Pool 3 years ago in 2015 ;)

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline gave West Virginia senior WR David Sills a sixth round draft grade.

Pauline believes Sills is a terrific college receiver, but isn't as bullish about his NFL future. He projects as a "No. 4/No. 5 wideout on Sundays. He’s consistent in all areas but lacks speed and quickness and reportedly comes with short arms and small hands, which is not a good combination," Pauline explains. Sills is already off the races with trying to prove Pauline wrong with a 7-140-2 performance in the season opener against Tennessee.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Sep 2 - 12:41 PM

LSU senior K Cole Tracy nailed four field goals in a 33-17 victory over Miami on Sunday.

We don't do a ton of kicker updates, but this one was worth mentioning. The LSU kicking situation last year was atrocious, but they appear to have an answer in the Assumption (Mass.) transfer. He nailed all of his kicks, including a 53-yarder. Tracy looked the part of an NFL placekicker on Sunday.

Sep 2 - 11:45 PM

LSU senior RB Nick Brossette ran 22 times for 125 yards and two touchdowns in a 33-17 victory over Miami on Sunday.

Brossette and Clyde Edwards-Helaire were listed as co-starters coming into the game. That was not an accurate representation. The senior tailback was clearly the bellcow, and he looked fantastic against the Miami defense. He showed impressive burst on a 50-yard touchdown to give the Tigers a 10-3 lead, and he plunged in for a yard to make it 17-3 near the top of the second period. He had several other quality runs, and kept the chains moving. Edwards-Helaire could be in for more carries as we move forward, but based on what we saw Sunday, it's his backfield. He's back on the field on Saturday against Southeastern Louisiana.

Sep 2 - 11:30 PM

Oregon junior QB Justin Herbert recorded an 87.5 percent adjusted completion percentage on long passes this week, good for third in the country.

Herbert had an inconsistent outing and only completed 3-of-8 deep (20+ yards) passes, but four of the five incompletions were dropped. It was an extremely low volume outing for the Ducks quarterback who only attempted 21 passes in their rout of Bowling Green. He still ended up throwing five touchdowns and will play another cupcake team in Portland State next weekend. We may not know how good Herbert truly is until they start playing better teams.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 12:22 PM

Houston junior DT Ed Oliver was named the Lott IMPACT Trophy Player of the Week.

Oliver didn't wait long to add to his trophy case, posting 13 tackles, 3.5 TFL and two quarterback hurries against Rice. Per Pro Football Focus, Oliver's six run stops tied for most among all interior defensive lineman last weekend. Oliver (6'3/290) announced over the summer that this will be his final season on campus. Barring an injury or an upset, he's locked and loaded for the top-five.

Source: Bruce Feldman on Twitter 

Sep 4 - 1:56 PM

Users who are viewing this thread