What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

Identifying Breakout WRs Using Yards/Route Run (2020 Fantasy Football)

Excerpt:

So, what can we do with this information, and why should we care? Looking at the 2019 wide receiver draft class, there are several players that fall into these buckets. Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, and Hunter Renfrow all ran at least 250 routes while also having at least 2.00 yards per route run. Conversely, when looking at it from this lens, it might be time to pump the breaks on N’Keal Harry, who only had .83 yards per route run his rookie season.

By no means am I suggesting that yards per route run is the only indicator of future success for a wide receiver in the NFL, but it is an integral piece of the puzzle. When looking at any metric or measurable, it is always best to marry it up with other available data points to paint a clearer picture. Looking at this historical data and also pairing it with metrics such as draft capital, breakout age, college dominator, etc. will certainly allow you to drill down and begin to cross off several variables when projecting future performance.

Antonio Brown body catches literally everything.  But I don't see that from Harmon at all.  At this point he's my favorite receiver for 2019.  From that same video you posted watch again.  

0:23 - ball thrown low he scoops it, not with body, but with hands, no other way to catch it cleanly.

0:40 - finds the zone sits and catches with hands

0:58 - in route catches with hands again and brings it in, jumps when he didnt need to but whatever

1:09 - tracks over shoulder really well, QB drops it in the bucket, not suppose to be a hands catch

1:19 - snatches the ball out the air with his hands

1:28 - kind of body catches but more inside shoulder that he hauls it in, 1 slip up so far

1:38 - ball thrown behind him he goes up and gets it might look like a body catch but his arms are out because of a bad throw

2:00 - again no other way to catch that ball and keep his moment up field than a body catch.  Nit pick if you want, good play.

I stopped after that because there's 7 examples in the first 2 minutes of him basically not doing that.

The dude is purely effort based and I love that in him.  
This aged like milk. 

This aged like milk. 
Underwhelming sure, but so was that entire offense.  Notice how I posted that before landing spot and bad rookie QB torpedo'd his chances?  That was in January.... 

How so that it aged poorly?  He played well down the stretch, took him til after the bye week to be relevant and then had a good showing.  After the bye week in week 10 he was averaging 84% snap share and 5 targets a game.  For a 6th round draft pick on arguably the worst possible team to earn playing time, gain trust, and improve, I call that a huge win.  

Underwhelming sure, but so was that entire offense.  Notice how I posted that before landing spot and bad rookie QB torpedo'd his chances?  That was in January.... 

How so that it aged poorly?  He played well down the stretch, took him til after the bye week to be relevant and then had a good showing.  After the bye week in week 10 he was averaging 84% snap share and 5 targets a game.  For a 6th round draft pick on arguably the worst possible team to earn playing time, gain trust, and improve, I call that a huge win.  
Sad trombone noises

I just don't see Isabella getting enough targets to be fantasy relevant.   As for Campbell, he will be more fantasy relevant than Isabella, but I don't see fantasy owners being able to start very often.
I could see Isabella being a guy to get now and use for next year. Fitzgerald will probably be gone next year and that could get Isabella into 3 WR sets next year.

I have high hopes for Campbell this year and think he could thrive with Rivers.

I could see Isabella being a guy to get now and use for next year. Fitzgerald will probably be gone next year and that could get Isabella into 3 WR sets next year.

I have high hopes for Campbell this year and think he could thrive with Rivers.
Not sure how much "high hopes" can carry his fantasy value.  I expect the Colts will run the ball effectively and Hilton and Pittman getting most of the targets in the passing game.

Not sure how much "high hopes" can carry his fantasy value.  I expect the Colts will run the ball effectively and Hilton and Pittman getting most of the targets in the passing game.
You, I'm assuming, know more about the Colts than I do. Mine is more of gut feeling knowing Rivers and Campbell was a high draft pick last year. I appreciate your insight!

You, I'm assuming, know more about the Colts than I do. Mine is more of gut feeling knowing Rivers and Campbell was a high draft pick last year. I appreciate your insight!
I do believe Campbell could surprise, but how much is the question given their other weapons, great OL, Mack and Taylor.  The Colts could lead the league in rushing.  Hilton will get his and there is a lot of hype surrounding Pittman, and for good reason.  Not that Rivers is a juggernaut, but he is a dramatic improvement over Brissett.  Last year the Colts had to change their offense to be a running offense because of his limitations, even before troubles at WR.  Brissett is a fine back up, but not an NFL starter.  The Colts offense will open up this year dramatically and given their ability to run the ball, will be a well balanced offense for 2020 at least.  I do believe Rivers will only be their starter for two years however.

Users who are viewing this thread