What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2021 NFL Draft Class (3 Viewers)

Went through the QB’s and RB’s today. Way too early ranks:

QB: 1) Trey Lance, 2) Trevor Lawrence, 3) Justin Fields, 4) Zach Wilson, 5) Mac Jones, 6) Kyle Trask, 7) Jaime Newman

Sleepers: Davis Mills, Sam Ehlinger

RB: 1) Travis Etienne, 2) Najee Harris, 3) Chuba Hubbard, 4) Javonte Williams, 5) Jermar Jefferson, 6) Trey Sermon, 7) Ken Gainwell, 8. Kylin Hill, 9) Michael Carter, 10) Jaret Patterson

Sleepers: Brenden Knox, Javian Hawkins, Demetric Felton, Torrance Marable

Andy Dufresne said:
First I've seen Atwell as a first round pick.
I also found that interesting. Daniel Jeremiah is a former scout and he is fairly well plugged into NFL circles with front office personnel. It doesn’t guarantee that Atwell will end up being a first round pick and a lot can change between now and the NFL Draft; however, it is interesting nevertheless.

Tutu Atwell projected as a first-round NFL Draft pick

Tutu Atwell: Where does the smallish WR fit in the 2021 NFL Draft? (FanSided article with autoplay video)

Philadelphia Eagles draft buzz: Sitting with Louisville WR Chatarius Atwell (FanSided article with autoplay video)

How a lack of an NFL Combine could hurt Tutu Atwell (FanSided article with autoplay video)

Dane Brugler as a contrast published his Top-100 Draft Board on the Athletic this week, and he has WR Tutu Atwell at #62 overall and WR #11 

Tutu Atwell is pretty small (listed by Dane Brugler at 5’9” and 175 lbs.) but has the following quote describing as his strengths in one of the FanSided articles:

Biggest strengths as a prospect

Atwell is an extremely agile and smart open-field runner that uses his excellent quickness to get open quickly for his quarterback. He can make plays out of the backfield and the slot and is a reliable target with soft hands. He plays similar to the Chiefs’ Tyreek Hill without the strength and outside the ability of “the Cheetah.” Hill has great lower body strength and body control to play bigger than his stature, something that Atwell will need to improve going forward.

Agility is the key to Atwell’s game and could make him one of the better returners and offensive weapons early on at the NFL level. He could prove to be an excellent slot receiver and part-time, third-down back in the pros. J.D. McKissic of the Washington Football Team is another player that Atwell could emulate next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL evaluators discuss whether Miami Dolphins should draft Alabama’s Smith or LSU’s Chase

The Miami Dolphins, with a choice of two top college wide receivers to fill their biggest need, probably couldn’t go wrong by taking Alabama’s 6-1 DeVonta Smith or LSU’s 6-1 Ja’Marr Chase with the third overall pick in April’s NFL Draft.

Chase, the 2019 Biletnikoff Award winner, set Southeastern Conference records in receiving yards and touchdowns in 2019, producing 84 catches, 1,780 yards (21.2 average) and 20 touchdowns in 14 games. That included 221 receiving yards in the national championship game (most ever in the playoff era) before he opted out of playing this past season.

Smith, meanwhile, had 117 catches for 1,856 yards (15.9 average) and 23 touchdowns in 13 games in 2020, won the Heisman Trophy and caught three touchdown passes (and finished with 215 receiving yards) in Alabama’s recent national championship game win against Ohio State.

Chase has the bigger build (207 pounds to Smith’s 175), which might or might not lead to greater durability. But Smith already has on-field chemistry with Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa from playing together at Alabama.

So which would be the better option? I polled three long-term NFL evaluators; two former general managers told me they would pick Smith, while a veteran NFL scout opted for Chase.

Some feedback:

▪ The scout who preferred Chase said:

“He’s bigger, stronger, physical. I gave him one of the best grades I’ve ever given anyone. He can do it all, one of the best wide receivers in the draft I can remember. He outfights cornerbacks. He high-points the ball. When the ball is in the air, he has a mentality that it’s his. 

“He can knock the [expletive] out of you as a blocker. He’s better than [Minnesota Vikings standout rookie and former LSU star] Justin Jefferson; he’s bigger and stronger. If you want a guy who can go underneath, go over the top, run after the catch, I’m taking Ja’Marr Chase.

“Smith is a very good player, but his size [weight/build] worries me. The DBs are getting bigger, and it wears you out” breaking free from press coverage at that size.

▪ One of the ex-GMs: “Smith and Chase are both outstanding playmakers, but I would take Smith because I think he will give you more big plays. I know he’s not the biggest guy but that doesn’t concern me.” The other former GM expressed similar sentiments.

▪ ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay favor Smith, but it’s close. Both advocate Miami taking him at No. 3. 

“With 40 touchdown catches over the past three seasons, Smith has continued to get better every year,” Kiper said. “At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, he has a slight frame — McShay has compared his body and style to Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison, and I agree. Smith is going to be a superstar.”

But Kiper also loves Chase, noting “he’s stellar after the catch, breaking tackles and running away from defenders. Chase consistently beat first-round pick A.J. Terrell in the [2019 season] national title game, catching nine passes for 221 yards and two TDs. He’s an elite prospect.” 

McShay’s breakdown: “Smith rarely drops anything in his vicinity, displays some jump after catch, explodes off the line, is crisp in his route running and tracks the ball well vertically….[Chase] is explosive off the line, a smooth route runner and tough in the open field. His body control stands out, and his speed is solid.”

▪ NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah says Chase “is the best pass catcher in the draft” and has Miami taking him third, with Smith going seventh to Detroit.

▪ Longtime draft analyst Dane Brugler of The Athletic reversed his order of the two receivers after the championship game, moving Smith to third and Chase to sixth:

“Tua Tagovailoa needs to learn the difference between college open and NFL open and reuniting him with Smith — who has elite ball skills and separation quickness — would speed up that learning curve,” Brugler wrote. “Chase has gear-changing acceleration and finishing skills.”

▪ But Pro Football Focus rates Chase the better prospect, noting “he’s every bit the prospect A.J. Green was a decade ago. Chase was doing what DeVonta Smith is doing this year when he was 19 years old, and he was doing it against guys like A.J. Terrell and Trevon Diggs, who are currently the best starters on their respective teams [Falcons, Cowboys, respectively]. His 24 deep catches that year is still the most we’ve seen in a single season.” 

PFF ranks Chase the fifth-best prospect in the draft and Smith eighth. 

▪ Per PFF, Chase had the most 15-plus-yard catches in a season since 2014 when he had 46 in 2019. Smith had 44 of those this past season. 

▪ ESPN’s Chris Fowler said Smith’s appeal extends even beyond his talent.

“You look deeper, this guy is a model teammate, an alpha of that offense,” Fowler said on a recent conference call, praising “his contributions, his example, his quiet leadership, his toughness, his completeness as a player, his humility which is so refreshing.”

▪ Pro Football Focus draft analyst Mike Renner had this nugget: Receptions on screens: Smith (2020): 33 catches, 279 yards, two touchdowns; Chase (2019): five catches, 69 yards, no touchdowns… 

A few other tidbits: With regard to Smith, Randy Moss (1997) is the only player in FBS history who had more touchdown catches in a season while averaging at least 15 yards a catch….

Smith was PFF’s highest-graded receiver from the slot this season, so he would be a weapon in the slot or on the boundary… 

Smith had 39 catches in which he gained at least 10 yards after the reception; no other college receiver had more than 26 such receptions this past season. Chase averaged 49 yards of YAC alone per game in the regular season in 2019, which was in the top seven in the country that year. The Dolphins were 30th in YAC this season, so that skill would help…. 

Since 2014, there have been nine instances of a player hitting 200 receiving yards in the first half. Per PFF, Smith has three of those nine games.

FYI: Alabama’s Smith will not practice or play in the Senior Bowl next week, but will spend the week in meetings with Brian Flores and the rest of the Dolphins coaching staff. Chase is not involved in the Senior Bowl. 

As of late Friday afternoon, the Dolphins hadn’t named a new offensive coordinator; tight ends coach George Godsey and running backs coach Eric Studesville are among those that have interviewed for the job.

If Ja'Marr Chase really is better than Justin Jefferson then he should be the 1.1 rookie pick regardless of format.

Right?

Andy Dufresne said:
If Ja'Marr Chase really is better than Justin Jefferson then he should be the 1.1 rookie pick regardless of format.

Right?
if you wanna go safe...but, isn't a RB like Jonathan Taylor valued more?

Andy Dufresne said:

Right?
This was my starting point last month, but I don't actually set my board until post draft.

Andy Dufresne said:

Right?

if you wanna go safe...but, isn't a RB like Jonathan Taylor valued more?
I think he is stating that if Chase is better than Jefferson (setting NFL rookie records all over the place) and therefore puts up similar numbers that it should make him the easy #1 dynasty pick.  Problem is we don't know if he will do that.  

For me, I have him down a bit because my leagues are SF so QB is at the top.  

Users who are viewing this thread