What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2021 NFL Draft Class (2 Viewers)

NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein thinks Kellen Mond and other second-tier quarterbacks will be off the board on Day 2. 

Zierlein speculates that Mond (6'3/217), Davis Mills and Kyle Trask are likely to be taken earlier than expected due to high demand at the position. The statement makes sense on it's face, as the jockeying to move up and select one of the top-five quarterbacks in this class is shaping up to be fast and furious. The teams who are shut out of the premium QB sweepstakes will now turn their attention to securing one of the next rung signal callers. It's interesting that Zierlein didn't mention Jamie Newman as being in the tier two mix.

SOURCE: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Apr 16, 2021, 3:39 PM ET

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein

I haven't spoken with any one working for a team - personnel or coach, who doesn't have Najee, Etienne and Javonte Williams as the dead-lock tier one RBs. Spoke to one coach who has it Najee, Williams, Etienne. A majority of people have Etienne first and Harris second.
Hmmm....

I'm starting to believe we shouldn't take any RB in the top 2.  I know from fantasy eyes we're always looking for the next great RB, but in my eyes the talent says 1) Chase 2) Pitts.  If you're sitting at 3 and have this type of thinking, you're in the perfect spot, because fantasy owners will take Harris / ETN 1/2 9 times out of 10.  Personally I like Williams more than ETN and I like him more than Harris too, especially given Harris' age and other factors, but wouldn't take Williams 1.1 over Harris, To minimize risk under that scenario  I would probably take Chase or Pitts first over a RB.

ETA:  The only bad thing about not taking a RB 1-3 this year, s that next year's class will be worse than this year's and if you need RBs, then I feel your pain.  2023 is the year of the next great RB class.  In that case I might try and trade for a RB instead of drafting one if I have a top 3 pick this year.  Of course that depends on the value I get.  Otherwise, I may decide to punt 2021 If I'm RB deficient and take either Chase or Pitts.  If I'm sitting at 3 I will not take ETN if he falls to me, no matter how much I need a RB.  I think he has high bust potential.  I know a lot of you will flame me for that and that is OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to believe we shouldn't take any RB in the top 2.  I know from fantasy eyes we're always looking for the next great RB, but in my eyes the talent says 1) Chase 2) Pitts.  If you're sitting at 3 and have this type of thinking, you're in the perfect spot, because fantasy owners will take Harris / ETN 1/2 9 times out of 10.  Personally I like Williams more than ETN and I like him more than Harris too, especially given Harris' age, but wouldn't take Williams 1.1 over Harris, To minimize risk under that scenario  I would probably take Chase or Pitts first over a RB.

ETA:  The only bad thing about not taking a RB 1-3 is that next year's class will be worse than this year's and if you need RBs, then I feel your pain.  2023 is the year of the next great RB class.  In that case I might try and trade for a RB instead of drafting one if I have a top 3 pick this year.
Yeah, but I can't think of an RB that I'd want to trade for that would cost me only a top three pick.

I'd rather keep my 2nd and take one of the top three rookies.

But then, I value 2nds more than most.
So do I, most of the time, but I'm afraid there are a lot of bust potential at WR, even though the draft is deep at WR.  A lot of smallish and / or slot guys that have high bust potential in my opinion and early to mid-2nd round is where these guys will be.  Early to mid-2nd is also too early to throw a dart at one of the high upside / high bust potential traditional size/speed WRS.  I do think if you're a QB needy team in a start 1qb league, you will be able to get one of the top QBs in the 2nd round.

So do I, most of the time, but I'm afraid there are a lot of bust potential at WR, even though the draft is deep at WR.  A lot of smallish and / or slot guys that have high bust potential in my opinion and early to mid-2nd round is where these guys will be.  Early to mid-2nd is also too early to throw a dart at one of the high upside / high bust potential traditional size/speed WRS.  I do think if you're a QB needy team in a start 1qb league, you will be able to get one of the top QBs in the 2nd round.
Yeah, that's what I have my eye on.

Even if you aren't a qb needy team I'd still look to add one of them.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette believes the Steelers are "most likely" to use their first-round pick on a running back. 

Longtime Steelers reporter Gerry Dulac believes the team will address the backfield "no later" than the second round. Dulac points to the team's complete revamp of its offensive coaching personnel before letting James Conner walk in free agency. The Steelers have the No. 24 overall pick on Day 1. Clemson's Travis Etienne is probably the draft's best back over Alabama's Najee Harris and North Carolina's Javonte Williams, offering elite edge and open-field ability to go with a three-down skill-set. Dulac believes the Steelers want to go back to an alpha approach after employing middling committees the past few seasons. That would make whoever arrives on Day 1 or 2 an instant RB2. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 

Apr 17, 2021, 5:54 PM ET

paid content
Odd as it loaded with no issues for me. I am not a subscriber to the ESPN Insider program.

Excerpts from the article:

Justin Fields, Ohio State

Fields' game has been picked apart during the pre-draft process, but he'd almost certainly be the top quarterback in most other classes. He's a special talent. I've never wavered on making him my No. 2 signal-caller behind Trevor Lawrence. Fields was questioned when he transferred from Georgia to Ohio State, but I love his competitiveness. He just wants to play. Does he have things he needs to work on? Of course. He had two bad games last season in which he compounded his mistakes and threw some ugly picks, but when he's at his best, he's phenomenal. Fields was the best player on the field when Ohio State beat Lawrence's Clemson team on New Year's Day. I really hope he lands with a team that has some weapons, and he'd be great for Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers.

Projection: I don't think Fields drops out of the top 10, even if it takes a team trading up to get him.

Michael Carter, North Carolina

Carter doesn't get much publicity -- he's not even the popular notable running back on his own team, as UNC's Javonte Williamswill likely get picked higher -- but I love the way he runs. He's tough to tackle at 5-foot-8. He carried the ball 514 times in four years for the Tar Heels -- and averaged 6.6 yards per carry. He led FBS with 18 rushes of 20-plus yards last season. He also posted back-to-back-to-back years with at least 20 catches. Carter is going to be a great addition for an NFL team.

Projection: Running backs are tough to gauge in the draft because how they fit a team really matters. I think Carter could go as early as the second round or as late as the top of the fourth round. By the way, Carter and Williams could both join Giovani Bernard as the the only North Carolina running backs taken in the first three rounds since 2000. Bernard went in Round 2 in 2013.

Elijah Moore, Ole Miss

Moore is going to be a quarterback's best friend. He is an explosive and versatile wideout who thrived in the slot at Ole Miss; 64 of his 86 catches last season came when he was lined up in the slot. And he did that in only eight games. He's one of the most pro-ready receivers in this class because a team can get him touches on Day 1 as a rookie. He'll be an instant starter.

Projection: I projected Moore to the Titans at No. 22 in my latest mock draft, but I wouldn't be shocked if he slid to the top of the second round.

Hunter Long, Boston College

Kyle Pitts would have been the easy choice here, so let's highlight Long. He's big, tough and physical, and he can block. He'll also stretch the deep middle of the field -- he caught 57 passes for 685 yards and five scores last season. Thirty-nine of his catches last season were on throws between 5-15 yards downfield, which means he knows how to get open. That ranked as the third most in FBS. Long is a complete player, and young tight ends who can block are tough to find, so he's going to have a lot of suitors.

Projection: Scouts love Long's all-around game, and I recently highlighted him as a player who could be a surprise first-round pick. He's likely to go in Round 2, though. No Boston College tight end has been picked in the first three rounds in the common draft era (since 1967).

Odd as it loaded with no issues for me. I am not a subscriber to the ESPN Insider program.
This happened with the ESPN running back analysis and BACKcast from Football Outsiders. You may very well have a subscription to ESPN+ and just not know it. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread