What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2021 NFL Draft Class (2 Viewers)

barackdhouse said:
Exactly but I feel like I have no choice but to try and parse thru that stuff. 
True.  I absorb what the "experts" say, and there are certain expert opinions I value more than others.  However, in the end, I prefer to watch game film (not strictly highlight film) and draw my own conclusions, rather than relying strictly upon the scouting reports of others.  This is especially true where the experts don't really reach a consensus.

College route running is only one of many factors in grading a prospect, and while route running can be taught once a player gets to the NFL, perhaps it may say more about a player's dedication to his craft than his capabilities as an NFL prospect.  A receiver needs an ability to create space from defenders.  Some receivers win with speed, strength, athleticism, a my-ball-mentality, or a combination of traits, but the ability of a receiver to get a clean, quick release at the line of scrimmage, to run precise timing routes, to stop on a dime, to make sharp cuts, to get separation at the top of a route, to turn a defender around, to fight past a physical defender, to find the soft spot in a defense, to vary speed, to create space with excellent footwork, to use his eyes to deceive a defender, to drop his hips and shift his weight smoothly are traits which can get a young wideout on the field early in his career.  When you see an NFL receiver beat a defender, it is often a result of good route running. 

Sure, Jerry Jeudy did not have the expected success last season.  Nor did Van Jefferson.  They are two of the best route runners from last season's WR class, but there were some other factors in play with each of those receivers.  However, we saw some success from Darnell Mooney and Gabriel Davis, and part of that success can be attributed to their route running abilities, and we have seen other receivers excel because of their route-running prowess.  

Here is a good video looking at the route running abilities of Van Jefferson coming out of Florida last season:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqt_Ebg7D34

And another looking at footwork:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4l4kSdb_dY

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. tagged Stanford QB Davis Mills as his "sleeper" at the position.

Kiper is quick to cite Mills' arm talent, frame and ceiling as intriguing while noting that the 6-foot-4, 212-pounder would be served best by landing with a team which has the luxury to develop him off the bench for a season or two before potentially pushing him into the starting fire. Kiper also writes that due to a lack of college starts -- just 11 -- Mills is being viewed as a project at this point. Occasionally projects work out (Josh Allen and Dak Prescott, for instance) but just keep in mind that the road to the NFL is paved in failed project quarterbacks. The reality of the position is that teams are simply not patient enough, generally speaking, to put in the time necessary to develop quarterbacks who still need real work. The NFL tends to move too quickly for patience.

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Mar 3, 2021, 12:50 PM ET

WATCH: Amari Rodgers impresses on bench at pre-NFL draft showcase

2021 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: WR Amari Rodgers, Clemson

Could Amari Rodgers Be A Mid-Round Steal For The Panthers?

Amari Rodgers Fantasy Football Rookie Profile

ESPN's Kiper breaks down draft prospects of Etienne, Rodgers, Powell and Carman

Excerpt:

Amari Rodgers has a chance to go early on the second day after hauling in 77 receptions for 1,020 yards and seven touchdowns during his final campaign at Clemson in 2020.

“Amari Rodgers - great slot receiver and had a great Senior Bowl week,” Kiper said. “He has got a chance to be one of the first five, six, seven, or eight picks in the second round. So when day two kicks off, Amari Rodgers - I think hears his name called very early. Out of the rest of the Clemson guys, I think it will be Amari Rodgers. He is the highest-rated and I think he goes early second round.”

Iowa WR Brandon Smith ran a 4.56 40-yard dash and recorded a 44-inch vertical jump at the HOA Scouting Combine.

His vertical jump would place Smith (6'2/218) in the 99th percentile for all wideouts and would have been the fourth highest vertical since 1999 if it had occurred at the regular NFL Scouting Combine. What makes the jump even more impressive is the Iowa receiver weighs almost 220-pounds, that's a whole lotta beef he has to propel to reach the 44-inch plateau. Smith projects as a late Day 2 - early Day 3 selection, but his impressive combine showing could bump the Hawkeye's draft position up another round or so if things break right. 

SOURCE: Trevor Sikkema on Twitter

Mar 5, 2021, 5:13 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread